Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Not just the Potters' son

‘Now, let’s see how many people did their homework.’ There was an almost inaudible groan around the potions classroom. Snape looked up in mock surprise. ‘Really? An entire week after your return from the Christmas holidays and still no one feels confident? How disappointing.’

He began a round of quick fire questions around the sixth years, mood darkening rapidly when he heard the stuttered answers.

‘Did any of you dunderheads actually research the topic? This is not difficult. Very well, unless someone, not you Miss Granger, can answer this you may all come back here this evening. As you should have noticed, all your Professors have been placing a heavier emphasis on magical theory. Currently you are studying spells to change your appearance in Charms, Transfiguration and, supposedly, in this class. Can anyone tell me what the difference is in these three branches of spells?’ He looked around the class, who appeared almost entirely baffled. Hermione of course looked bursting to answer and he gave her a slightly apologetic look. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a hand rise tentatively. ‘Mr Potter?’

‘Charms only change someone’s perception of you; they don’t alter your makeup like Potions and Transfigurations do. Ummm … Potions and Transfigurations both cause a change in your body but they differ in where the spell’s power is.’ He paused, checking the words before he said them. ‘In Potions the power comes from the ingredients and from the person who made it, not the person who drinks it. Transfiguration spells that you cast on yourself take up your own energy. So they depend on the strength of the witch or wizard…unless you’re a Metamorphmagus.’ There was a silence in the classroom.

‘Correct. The bell’s about to ring, you may prepare to leave.’

‘You read the book I lent you!’ Hermione whispered excitedly.

‘Most of it,’ Harry conceded.

‘Wasn’t it fascinating?’

‘More than I thought it would be. It’s no “Quidditch through the Ages” though.’

‘Harry!’

‘Okay, okay, you were right.’

‘See? Potions can be interesting.’ She smiled at him, faintly smug, and he grinned back, leading her out of the classroom.

Snape watched them leave. ‘Fascinating.’

*************

‘Legilimens!’ On the fourth attempt, still unable to break through Harry’s wall, Severus decided to take a break, ‘Sit.’

Harry complied and looked up curiously. ‘Is something wrong?’

‘No, you’re doing much better. As you are in Potions. I awarded you points by the way.’

‘For what?’

‘For your answer today. I presume Hermione pointed you towards that particular book but you appear to have actually studied it. Harry…I’m not the only one of your Professors who’s noticed this. You are…unusually dedicated this year. The Headmaster has always insisted that you were talented but frankly until this point I’ve seen little evidence in my class. Is there anything you should be telling us? Any reason you’ve suddenly boosted your efforts in Occlumency?’

‘You know why, sir,’ Harry answered quietly.

‘Black.’

‘Yes. But not just that. This is a war. We both know that sir. And we both know that either I die at his hands or he dies at mine. I’d prefer the second way.’

‘Mr Potter, no one here is going to send you out to die.’

‘They didn’t try the first four times either, sir. But it happened. And…’ he trailed off.

Severus considered trying legilimency again, taking advantage of the boy’s distraction. He relented, although unsure why. ‘And what?’ he prompted.

‘And nothing.’

‘Harry, no one doubts your ability. You have been regarded as...exceptional since you received that.’ He pointed at the scar. ‘Even before that, perhaps. By those of a certain type it was believed that the son of James and Lily Potter could be nothing but that.’

‘That’s just it!’

‘What is just “it”?’ he tried again.

Harry pushed his hands roughly through his hair and then, with the air of one who had nothing left to lose, started speaking. ‘I’m sick of it. Being a symbol. The poor orphaned son of the Potters. “The Boy who Lived.” And everyone thinking that I’m something special.’ He spat the word. ‘The only thing I had that wasn’t part of it was Quidditch, and Umbridge took it. But then Hermione and Ron asked me to teach the DA and it worked, it was something else I was good at that was just me. And it was fine, not perfect, but we were okay. Then everything....’

‘Black.’

‘Yes, Black. Sirius died because I had been more worried about finding out what a door was than blocking Voldemort. Professor Dumbledore told me about the prophecy and suddenly I couldn’t be mad at him anymore because I had that to deal with. And I couldn’t even manage to be mad at you, because you did what you were supposed to. I’m the one that messed it up. So I did what we’re always being told to do and apologised. And I did okay in my exams and I’m doing better in class and you’re suspicious because I have no reason? Voldemort doesn’t care that I’m ‘the Saviour of the Wizarding World.’ He just wants me dead. And everybody else thinks I’ll be fine because I’m a Potter. Except you of course, sir.’ Harry paused for breath finally.

‘Harry, no one expects you to take on the Dark Lord single-handed. You will have the Order. As well as most of the rest of the Wizarding World I would imagine, now that it’s finally coming out. If this goes as we hope then you may not have to face him at all.’

Harry laughed unnervingly. ‘It’s always me, Professor. I know you think this is just Potter arrogance but it is about me. He wants to kill me. And he will if I can’t prove that I’m more than just James Potter’s son.’

‘Who do you imagine thinks that you’re not?’

‘You, him…Sirius wanted me to be him.’

‘Harry, that’s not…’

‘Professor, it’s late, would you mind if we finished this another time?’

‘What?’ Severus wanted nothing less than to abandon this topic but it was late and the boy looked drawn. ‘Fine. I’ll see you next week.’

*****************

‘Remus, he’s acting…I am concerned about what he might do.’ Severus looked up at Lupin who was hovering in corner of his study. Bottling the Wolfsbane potion, he glared, waiting for the other man to answer.

‘Severus, he’s a good child.’

‘You have always believed he was a good child. At no point has this prevented him getting into trouble.’

‘But after last year…’

‘All last year convinced him of was the need to study harder and his propensity for harming others.’

‘Surely his studying harder is a good thing?’

‘Of course it is but he’s…frankly I’m concerned that he’ll go haring off on his own.’

‘He wouldn’t do that. He’s…’ There was a knock on the door of Severus’ study.

‘Enter.

‘Professor Snape, Professor McGonagall asked me to give you this.’ Severus reached out to take a note from the boy.

Remus studied him curiously. ‘I’m sorry, have we met?’

‘I don’t think so sir.’

‘Strange…I thought I knew all the upper school pupils.’

Severus unfolded the piece of paper:

Severus,

My sixth year class and I are having a small wager. Try and let me win please.

MM

‘It would be easier to let you win, Minerva, if I knew what you were doing. How about you? Can you enlighten me Mr….’ Snape examined the boy in front of him. The child was tall with auburn hair, oval hazel eyes and an almost familiar blend of features …

‘Potter.’

The boy laughed and braced himself against the table as his hair darkened and tousled, eyes turned green, build returned to small and thin and his face returned to a carbon copy of a teenage James Potter. ‘Well done, sir.’

‘Did you win, or Professor McGonagall?’

‘We did. I said that you would know.’

‘You were gambling on me recognising you through a spell?’

‘We were trying out transfiguration on ourselves and apparently that one was pretty good. Professor McGonagall said that none of the Professors would see through it except Professor Dumbledore. And I said that you would. So now we have no homework.’

‘I suspect Minerva will raise this with me later,’ Snape pointed out wryly.

Remus had watched the exchange with interest. ‘Hello Harry.’

‘Professor Lupin.’

‘Harry, Remus really is fine, I’m not your Professor anymore.’

Harry grinned. ‘Old habits. Are you okay?’

‘I’m fine. Just here to get some potions. And how about you? I see your studies are going well, that was a remarkable spell.’

‘Professor McGonagall says it’s all about intent really.’

‘That and the power behind it,’ Snape broke in. ‘The spell was extremely well executed. How exactly did you predict that I would identify you?’

‘People…’Harry paused to form the thought, ‘I passed twelve people in the corridor who know me pretty well, but everybody looks here first.’ He tapped his forehead. ‘I thought maybe you wouldn’t.’

Snape glanced quickly at Lupin to ensure that he took note of that. ‘Harry…never mind, we’ll talk later. But if you are trying to disguise yourself from me I would advise not looking exactly like a perfect blend of your parents.’

‘I just thought it would be interesting to look like my Mum as well as my Dad for a bit. I could go blond I suppose but Malfoy would probably take it as some sort of an homage.’

‘Perhaps…have you considered potion methods? As you pointed out, they’re less draining to the wizard.’

‘Yes, but in an emergency they take too long…’

‘Not if you’re properly prepared…’

Remus smiled softly as the debate continued. Clearly someone should talk to Harry, but as Severus seemed to have appointed himself as unofficial guardian he didn’t think they needed to worry too much.