Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Confidentiality Clauses

‘Look.’ Severus opened the door to Harry, who was looking worryingly cheerful for the beginning of an Occulmency lesson. He melded in and out of the transformation Dumbledore persisted in referring to as his “Severus homage”. Harry held out his hands. ‘No wand. Still can’t hold it but it’s getting better.’

‘Indeed.’

‘That was almost a compliment. It’s a bit early for that isn’t it?’

‘Harry.’

Severus was perplexed at the panic that suffused Harry’s face. ‘What?’

‘The only time anyone says my name like that is when they have bad news. Or want something. Or have bad news and want something.’

‘The third. Depending on your view of bad news.’

‘Voldemort level of bad news?’ Harry noticed dimly that Snape forgot to glower at his name usage. ‘Or we have a rogue Weasley twins concoction in the school?’

‘Somewhere in the middle.’ Snape stepped aside to let Harry enter the room. He was met by a familiar sneer.

‘Malfoy.’

‘Potter.’

‘Sit down Harry. Draco stop that.’

‘What?’

‘We are going to be civil.’

‘Why?’

‘You know why Mr Malfoy. Now do you wish to explain or shall I?’

‘I would appreciate if you did it Professor. I still don’t understand why he is here.’

‘Ditto.’ Harry shot back.

‘Merlin save me from teenagers.’ Snape muttered.

‘Sorry Professor.’ Harry and Malfoy replied simultaneously, then shot covert glares at each other.

‘To begin, everything that occurs within this room is confidential. Understood?’ The boys nodded and he went on. ‘Harry. What age do you legally become an adult in the wizarding world?’

‘Seventeen.’

‘Indeed. And what age do you imagine the Dark Lord begins actively recruiting?’

‘Seventeen? Oh…’ Harry’s eyes flicked towards Malfoy and then Snape but, to his eternal credit in Snape’s eyes, he neither jumped back nor reached for his wand.

‘So what now?’

‘I haven’t explained anything yet.’

‘I’m not hexed yet so I assume Malfoy doesn’t want to. So what are we doing?’

‘What did I tell you about trust Mr Potter?’

‘That it was a foolish Gryffindor trait that would get me killed.’

‘Exactly.’

‘So explain.’

‘Are you still unwilling to explain your own situation Draco?’

‘I don’t need to explain anything to him.

‘Very well. Draco doesn’t wish to be a “toadying sycophant” to a “power-mad maniac”. Is that how you put it?’ He nodded once in reply.

‘But…’ Harry started. ‘We’re speaking freely?’

‘Saying no doesn’t seem to have stopped you before.’

‘Last time I try politeness with you. Malfoy believes in Voldemort’s cause. He believes in pure blood. He sided with Umbridge last year. And he curses us continually for no reason.’

‘And you don’t like him.’

‘That’s not really the issue is it?’

‘Harry, Lucius Malfoy is not a good man. He is however a powerful wizard and his influence should not be overlooked. But seventeen is supposedly the beginning of adulthood. A time to make your own decisions. Are you agreeing Draco or am I not explaining this correctly?’

‘You’re…I’m taking the mark one way or another. I’d rather do it of my own free will and with a purpose. I didn’t spend all this time becoming the best wizard in the year to waste power on being a slave. I don’t want to be manipulated. It’s not a noble decision Potter, you can retain your

faith in my selfishness.’

‘You’re on this side because you don’t want to be manipulated? Have you met the Headmaster?’

‘Harry!’

‘Sorry Professor. You want to be a spy?’

‘I don’t exactly have an option now do I?’

‘You could not take the mark. Or hide.’ Malfoy turned the

full sneer on again.

‘The problem with both those suggestions is my father. He would force me to take it and he would find me if I hid. And Malfoys don’t run.’

‘So you’re going to learn Occulmency from Professor Snape?’

‘He’s going to learn Occulmency from both of us.’

‘What?’ Again Severus found himself facing matching glares.

‘Albus believes that you two, as the students facing the most danger in the school, should help each other. He seems to be of the opinion that you will be able to aid each other in the study of Occulmency without hexing each other into oblivion and doing the Dark Lord’s work for him. I would hate to prove him wrong.’

‘But I can’t I help teach. You’re still teaching me.’

‘But you’re becoming much more proficient. Additionally, Albus believes, and in this I think he’s correct, that Draco would be able to learn quicker if another student can help. And from a purely theoretical view, given that you find Legilimency easier than Occulmency, we can experiment with two minds attacking one and whether projection of the self is possible in the way you described it.’

‘We’re just guinea pigs to you aren’t we?’ Harry moaned melodramatically and Draco almost stopped scowling for a moment to smirk at Severus’ pointed glare.

‘If Mr Potter is quite finished deriding the spirit of academic inquiry I’d like to begin. Draco, I’m going to cast Legilimens, you need to try and clear your mind so it doesn’t hold. Only block the entry, no curses. Turning your Head of House into a snail has surprisingly poor consequences, so be warned. We’ll do it once, and then Harry can try and push you in the right direction. Stand up and wand out.’ Malfoy and Snape adopted the traditional duelling position as Harry looked on. Snape raised his wand.

‘Legilimens!’ Malfoy was clearly not holding the spell back as the emotions flickered across his face. Neither however, did Snape seem to be pushing as hard as on Harry’s first lesson. Or perhaps Malfoy had a natural affinity. He wasn’t lying on the ground anyway. Oh…take that one back.

‘Up.’ Severus offered Draco a hand and gave Harry a thoughtful look, immediately followed by an impatient one. ‘Well?’

‘I need to know what happened first.’

‘It didn’t work.’ Draco filled in sulkily.

‘I saw that. Was your mind just not clear or did the spell break through?’

‘I have no idea what you mean Potter.’

‘Were you still thinking? Or did you try and block the spell and your defence broke? Clearing your mind’s incredibly difficult, it helps to create a defence in your head and keep the thoughts in it.’

‘Again Potter, babbling.’

‘It’s hard to explain. You felt it yes? The spell breaking into your memories?’

‘Yes.’

‘Well you can block that by imagining a defence inside your head. Anything you want really. I don’t recommend anything small and dark though, but then I am practically claustrophobic.’

‘Harry!’ Snape saw fit to admonish him again. ‘Do you ever listen? You do not go bandying about your weaknesses as if you have no enemies!’

‘No…’ Harry sounded as if he couldn’t decide whether to be amused or annoyed. The scathing tone as he continued appeared to be a compromise. ‘But none of them are supposed to be in this room. We’re on the same side, we are committing the ultimate violations on each other’s minds, and I need to be able to say whatever’s going to help. We have a pact of silence, remember?’

‘I miss when you were scared of me. Very well, continue.’

Harry turned towards Malfoy. 'Any questions?’

‘What do you use?’ He sounded genuinely curious.

‘A stag. It’s my Patronus, seemed to be the obvious choice. But you can use anything, it’s the significance in your own mind that’s important.’

‘Fine. I’m ready to try again.’

‘Harry. You cast the spell this time.’

‘What? Professor I’m not exactly an expert in Legilimency’

‘Not the main concern, we just need to establish a method for Draco to block, not necessarily the force of it. It should be easier for you to figure out any problems this way.’

‘Professor.’ This was Malfoy. ‘I don’t really think…’

‘What?’

‘This is Harry Potter remember? You can’t just expect me to…’

‘We agreed on this Draco. And maybe this will give you extra incentive to block it.’

Malfoy scowled but readied himself. Harry stood up and raised his wand nervously.

‘Legilimens.’ Harry was held off for a few seconds but Draco’s defence perceptibly crumbled and he was left with a flood of images of Lucius Malfoy and a tangible feeling of fear. He pulled out instantly.

‘Well?’ Snape ignored Draco’s heavy breathing and addressed Harry.

‘I could feel the barrier. But it broke.’ Harry looked at Malfoy. ‘You need to stop worrying about me breaking in and concentrate on holding your barrier.’

‘Really?’ Malfoy scoffed. But he still shook, and Snape noticed.

‘That’s enough for tonight. Next week. Both of you keep practicing.’ Draco walked out quickly, throwing a hasty goodnight to Snape over his shoulder. Snape looked like he wanted a moment so Harry paused.

‘You did well tonight. Coped well. With the situation and with his running commentary. And I noticed you left Draco’s mind as soon as you got in. Admirable.’

‘And I noticed you were nicer to him than you were to me.’

‘Mr Potter I am always entirely fair.’ Harry grinned and turned to leave. ‘I did mean that you did well. Five points.’ Harry turned back to give him an incredulous look. Snape sighed. ‘Very well. Ten.’

‘Thank you Professor. Night.’

‘Good night.’ As he closed the door Snape mumbled to himself. ‘Between Albus and him and the rest of the pack of brats…even Minerva. Whole house of people that doesn’t know when to stop pushing their luck. I’m surprised they haven’t died out. “The rare lesser-spotted Gryffindor.” And now they’ve driven me to hold a conversation with myself. They should carry a health warning…’