Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Promises and Threats

A dark figure stood in the shadows, a silhouette in the dim light provided by the street lamps, looking at the perfectly normal house of number four Privet drive. He curled his lips in distaste at this obviously muggle street, everything so perfectly in place, everything except him that is. With his black cloak billowing out as he walked, his hood up and shielding his face from view, he looked like some vampire straight out of a horror movie. Or a wizard, if the wand twirling in his hands were any indication.

He would not be here if it were not for his sister and the promise he had made.

~Flashback~

"Promise me that you'll take care of Harry if anything happens to me and James." Lily said suddenly.

"Nothing will happen to you. Besides, he has his godfather." He said firmly, ignoring her request.

"Just in case. Please…" Stray tendrils of hair framed her delicate fair face, the lighting accentuating her pert nose and high cheekbones.

Beseeched with her pleading green eyes, he felt his resolve softening. "Oh alright, I promise. If only to set your mind at ease."

She smiled then, a lovely sweet smile, and said simply, "Thank you."

"But you should know.. that.. circumstances.. will not allow me to take care of Harry."

She looked pained at the subtle reminder, of what he is, and how dangerous it would be. "Yes.. yes I know…" she said softly. "Just.. make sure that he's alright once in a while ok?"

"Lily.. stop talking like you're going to die." He went over to her side and took her hand in his. Looking into her eyes, he said determinedly, " Nothing will happen to you. I won't let it happen."

"I know you won't. But there's nothing you can do." She looked to the fire burning in the hearth, the dancing firelight casting flitting shadows on her lovely profile.

He gripped her shoulders tightly, forcing her to look at him. "Is it another vision?" he asked urgently, worried.

She turned away, saying nothing.

But he knew.

There was a sinking feeling in his heart and he grounded out angrily, "Can't you prevent it if you know what's going to happen?"

"It's for the best." she said quietly.

"But I don't want you to die!" He was getting more agitated, pacing the room furiously.

"Would you rather more people die while I live?" she queried.

"Yes!" he said emphatically, stopping in his tracks to look at her.

"Luc! How could you say that?!" said Lily, shocked at his answer and seeing the truth of it in his eyes.

"I'm sorry Lil" he said, running his hand through his silky hair in frustration. "I just don't want to lose you."

"You won't lose me. I'll be here, in your heart." She smiled tenderly at him.

He sighed, knowing nothing would change her mind. She would not save herself, but nothing would stop him from trying to save her.

‘I will not fail.' he vowed resolutely.

The clock struck ten, its chiming interrupting his thoughts, and signaling an end to Lily's visit. She stood up reluctantly and they walked to the door.

"Take care of yourself, Luc." she whispered, her voice breaking.

"You too, sister. Don't do foolish things."

She smiled weakly at that. "I love you... brother" she hugged him, too choked to say anymore.

Surprised by her act of affection, he awkwardly patted her back before abandoning his restraints and hugged her back tightly. "Love you too sis.." he whispered.

They parted and stood silent for a long time, just looking at each other. Lily seemed to be memorizing his face, every detail, every feature, as if seeing him for the last time. He did the same, his gaze taking in her fair complexion, her perfectly arched eyebrows and deep green eyes framed by long eyelashes, her small pert nose and high cheekbones, her trembling red lips and stubborn chin, her graceful neck and slender figure…

"Well, goodbye then." She gave him a sad smile and left, apparating home once she had passed the manor's anti-apparation wards.

He stared unseeingly at the place where she had stood, knowing in his heart that this would perhaps be the last time they would see each other.

Alive.

Because, either one or both of them will end up dead before this nightmare is over…

~End Flashback~

Indeed, despite his best efforts, it was not enough to save Lily. Too late. He was too late. ‘If only…' he thought regretfully. ‘No. There is no point dwelling on the past. Time to focus on the task at hand.'

He looked to the house again, the blinds were drawn and there was no visible movement from inside the house. It was nearing dawn. Well, he could wait a few more moments until they wake up. After all he had been here since the better part of the night, thinking, brooding. There was no way he could sleep after what happened tonight.

‘Just check to see that the boy is healthy and happy and I'll be on my way.' he thought unconcernedly. ‘He should be safe, considering that Dumbledore placed him with his relatives. The ancient magic* would protect him as long as he is in their care.'

‘Are you really not curious to see Harry? See how he looked like? He is, after all, Lily's child.. and your nephew.' An annoying inner voice said.

He shrugged it off, ‘He doesn't know. And he don't need to know.'

‘Ah, but you know.' The irritating voice reminded him.

‘Shut up. Just go away.' he growled, vexed.

‘Whatever you say, dear…'

He sighed, feeling an on-coming headache. ‘I really must be going crazy if I'm hearing voices and talking to myself.'

Just then, the door of number four Privet drive opened, and revealed a thin, blonde-haired woman putting out the milk bottles.

‘That must be Lily's sister.' He thought idly before quickly striding forward. The woman looked up, startled at his appearance. She took in his attire, the black cloak he wore and the wand in his hands. Her eyes widened in fear and revulsion as she realized what he was. She took a step back and started to slam the door, but his hand came up to stop her, effectively blocking her attempt.

"That wasn't very nice of you, Mrs Dursley." He said in a dangerously soft voice.

"Wha- what do you want? Your kind are not welcomed here." she stammered.

"Why, I thought I'd drop by to see Harry. Surely you wouldn't mind." There was a barely veiled threat in his seemingly polite words.

She looked even more fearful now, her eyes darting about nervously. "What are you talking about? There is no Harry here."

He leaned forward, intimidating her with his closeness, his eyes narrowed. "Don't play games with me. The.. results will not be pleasant. I know Harry was left in your care."

"I – we- he.. Vernon sent him to an orphanage." She finally blurted out.

"What. Did. You. Say?" his tone was cold, anger palpable in every word.

She flinched at his words, not daring to repeat what she just said in fear of provoking him even more. ‘Oh God, he is going to kill me! I knew we shouldn't have sent that brat away. I knew they would find out.' she thought hysterically.

"Where is he now?" His tone promised dire consequences if she did not know the answer.

"I – I'm not sure.. some- somewhere in London?" she ventured a guess.

"Are you answering my question or asking me a question?" he sneered.

He looked at her cowering in fear and thought in contempt, ‘How could Lily ever be related to this weak, pitiful-excuse-of-a-human muggle?' His fingers fairly itched to curse her into oblivion for her stupidity. ‘Leaving Harry Potter in an orphanage with absolutely no protection! Where every former deatheater could get their hands on him. Sweet Merlin! This is worse than I thought.'

He glared at her. "You better pray to whatever gods you believe in that Harry is safe and unharmed, or I'll be back. And this time it's no empty threat."

His silky voice dropped to a whisper, "There are spells that can inflict such pain that you'll wish for death. *White-hot knives piercing every inch of your skin, feeling like your head is going to burst in pain. You will scream until you lose your voice, and continue screaming in silent anguish after your voice is gone. I could make you torture and kill your husband and son. You will cut them up, finger by finger, limb by limb. And watch as blood spurts out from their wounds, watch as they scream for you to stop. But you won't be able to stop yourself. After they are dead, you will look down on their mutilated bodies and realize what you have done. They are dead but you will live, slowly going insane in your own tortured mind, seeing the blood, hearing those screams over and over again, knowing that you killed them with your own hands."

His words mercilessly forced her to the dark edges of her mind, teetering on the precipice, falling over the brink into the enclosing darkness. The soft hypnotizing voice lulled her into seeing the horrifying images in her mind's eye, and her eyes glazed over, dilated in terror. Her breathing was short and shallow, her face turning pale. He smiled chillingly at her reaction, satisfied.

The mind is a powerful thing if you know how to manipulate it. Just a few choice words and the right tone to push it a little in the right direction would give you the desired result. In this case, it was fear and horror. Of course, a little spell to drive her imagination into overrun didn't hurt either.

'And she wasn't even physically tortured.' he smirked inwardly.

A moment later left no trace of the man once standing there as he apparated away.

----ooOOoo----

He appeared just outside of his manor's wards and the gates swung open, letting him in as the magic in them recognized their master's magic and the inherent blood that flows through his veins.

He strode up the path and the great wooden doors flung open upon sensing his presence and current foul mood. A house-elf appeared hurriedly to take his cloak, squeaking, "Master is back! Is there anything master needs?"

"No, Mindy. Do not disturb me until dinner." He replied, preoccupied with his thoughts and moving towards his study, not acknowledging Mindy's "Yes master. As you wish master." before she disappeared with a pop.

'First: to find Harry as soon as possible.' Objective firmly in mind, he looked through various books, searching for ways to track a person. But it was not easy, especially since he had not seen said person since he was born and did not have anything belonging to him. Most of the spells or potions required something that has a connection to the missing person.

~Several hours later…~

'Damnit!' he thought in frustration as he discarded yet another useless book on top of the rapidly growing pile of books on his desk. 'There must be something…'

Looking down at the short list of spells and potions that might help, he began to tick off those that definitely would not work. "Tracking spell-no, short of Harry's personal belonging. Sensing potion-no, there's no strong emotional connection between us. Summoning charm-no, I don't even know what he looks like. Detection spell- no, not unless he uses magic. Blood potion.. hmm.. it might work… but the brewing process will take 49 days…"

He furrowed his brow in concentration, contemplating his options. 'There's really no other feasible choice. I guess Harry will have to wait while I make that potion.' With that, he got up and left the manor, apparating to Diagon Alley where he will get the needed potions ingredients at *Slug & Jiggers Apothecary.

Chapter End Notes:
Reference

*ancient magic- "For he has been better protected than I think even he knows, protected in ways devised by Dumbledore long ago, when it fell to him to arrange the boy's future. Dumbledore invoked an ancient magic, to ensure the boy's protection as long as he is in his relations' care. Not even I can touch him there." (Voldemort, GF)

*White-hot knives… burst in pain- rephrased from what Harry felt when he was under the cruciatus curse in GOF

*Slug & Jiggers Apothecary - name of the apothecary in Diagon Alley 


Sorry it's so short, again. Seems to be having problems continuing so I thought I'd just post this first. Hope it's not too badly done. (I think it's horrible.) I know the description of the threat isn't that good so if anyone wants to improve on it for me, just email me with your version and I'll put it up if it's better. Looking for ghastly/horrifying/vivid descriptions of torture. haha. I sound sadistic. Of course, credit will be given to you for that part although I might change it a bit.

Any questions about the manor's magic and such will be explained in later chapters. I'm sorry it's so messy but it's WIP so I'm quite disorganized beyond the current chapter although I have the ideas.

As always, please review with any comments/questions/ideas/suggestions/constructive criticism that you have. Feel free to correct me in your reviews if there's any grammar/spelling mistakes and I will upload the corrected version. Conversations and thoughts are supposed to be in present tense.