Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

A New Prophecy

“Remus, we have bad news.”

This was all Dumbledore said as he saw the werewolf walk into his office. This is still the same old Dumbledore, with the same twinkle in his eyes, though perhaps in a lesser degree of brilliance and intensity, with a worried glint in them. The younger man sensed the source of Dumbledore’s worry at once, it is not hard. Since Voldemort’s return, the only bad news worth mentioning privately between Dumbledore and Lupin was…

“It’s Harry isn’t it? Is there something wrong?” Worry is definitely shown in Lupin’s voice and eyes. The boy’s gone through enough bloody misery already without new ones adding on! He thought forcefully to himself.

“Yes, and no.” The Headmaster replied with a grave air. “About Harry, but not directly him. It seems that Professor Trelawney’s talents are not so worn away as I had thought they were.” Dumbledore said with a bemused tone, but immediately looked more serious: “We’ve got a new prophecy, and frankly, I don’t like it.”

“That old fraud? You’re not telling me that you are actually going to believe the spooks she comes out with are you?” An obvious sneer and slight amusement can be heard in Lupin’s tone as he said these words.

“True, Sybil has got a reputation as, well, using your words, as an ‘old fraud’. But she has twice before made a truthful prophecy, and that is no small weight. I assure you, once I’ve shown you the scene, you will think again.”

With that, Dumbledore prodded his temples with his wand, and as he raised his hand, a single silvery thread formed between the tip of is wand and his temple, then, fell elegantly into a stone basin-the Pensieve. Gently, the old Headmaster twirled the silvery content, and a pearly figure came rising out of the Pensieve. A creature with eyes hugely magnified by spectacles, her many bangles chinking and echoing in the silent room. Then, she spoke. Not with the ethereal and syrupy voice that is the trademark of Sybil Trelawney, but with a harsh jagged tone. She said:

“The Last War approaches. And so does the Last Weapon. A Weapon that will be the Hope or the Doom of both worlds. A double-edged blade, a double tipped wand, She brings power here.

Upon his 16th birth, shared by two, to our world she will come, mortal, yet divine. Of Light, yet of Dark. She will cross the channel from the other world, and be the Weapon to destroy One, if wielded by the other, double-edged as they are.

She is the Hope of The Boy Who Lived; She is the Hope of the Dark Lord. And she will be the Doom of both.

On the right day, the right time, at the right place, with the right atmosphere, the Bridge of Crossing will be open to her. Only one chance we all have, she is free to choose. A double-edged blade, a double tipped wand, he is too free to choose.

The Last War approaches. As does the Last Weapon…”

Then the figure faded into mist, into nothingness. And Remus Lupin could only gape.

“Merlin…” after what seemed like an eternity, Remus Lupin breathed out. “Merlin!!” He said again with an added force. “Why does it always have to be Harry? Bloody Merlin Dumbledore! The Prophecy said that The Weapon will be the Doom of Both for Merlin’s sake!! We will have to lose Harry no matter what?”

“…”

“Dumbledore…is there no hope at all for Harry?” Lupin whipped around and leaned in to gaze at Dumbledore, desperation in his eyes.

“…”

“Damn Albus. Answer me!” Lupin shook the older man’s shoulder roughly, and sank into nearest chair, his face pale.

“Remus. She will be the Doom of both, and we will try to make her the Hope for Harry only. Remus, do you care about Harry?”

Dumbledore calmly asked the question, gazing into the young man sat in front of him; Dumbledore can understand why he would be so desperate. He has lost the 3 best, and perhaps the only, friends he have. Sirius returned to him after 13 years of loneliness, only to be taken away again. Lupin’s only got Harry left, and now Harry will be taken away as well. No man will be able to handle this calmly.

“Dumbledore, Harry is like my son, my life!”

“Then you will have to let him choose. We are all free to choose Remus. Harry must know. You must tell him.”

“Tell…tell him?” faltering under Dumbledore’s intent gaze, Lupin’s lips formed a defiant “no.”

“Remus, we must. You know how Harry hates being kept in the dark, dealt with like a child. He is not a child any more Remus. He has proved many times that he can take care of his own actions, and take the responsibility of their consequences. Remus, treating him like a child, keeping him in the dark will only hurt him more.” Dropping his intent gaze on the younger man, Dumbledore stood up and gravely strode to the window, and sighed softly. In two quick strides, Remus joined the Headmaster by the window, looking down, he saw endless white, a world of snow.

Harry.

It’s so unfair.

He has never known parents, never had friends before Hogwarts, and never had a normal childhood, which was the one thing he truly longed for. Now, he is deprived of a future, destined to save the world and…go. Disappear. D…no, I will not say the word. Maybe if I don’t say it, it will never be true.

Fate is so cruel. To Harry, to me. WHY? Take everything that I had ever loved from me. Destroy my normal life, kill my two best friends, and corrupt the other. It is all because of Fate, Fate brought Voldemort. Fate brought Doom…brought Her…

“Remus, our utmost concern now is to figure out exactly when she will come, and how, and who she is. Which means you and I will have to work pretty hard to solve this cryptic prophecy. Do you have any ideas?” sitting back down behind his table, Dumbledore peered at Remus through his half-moon spectacles.

Remus Lupin sat stiffly in his chair, and pondered the mystery. He always liked puzzles and cryptic messages, just not when they say clearly that a loved one is going to die. He found he could not concentrate at all, and shook his head at Dumbledore. The Headmaster nodded, and sighed.

“Well, I have to say that I myself have many guesses, some of them I can be sure to be correct. The date of her arrival is 31st of July, this I can be sure. It said that she arrives upon his 16th rebirth, which could be only Harry’s. It also said that the birth is shared by two, and Harry and Neville share the same birthday. Both are 16 today. I can also be sure that she is at the moment a muggle, or at least her magical powers are hidden or sealed deep within her. But who she will be, how she will come, and how she could be of use to Harry in defeating Voldemort and vice versa, I just don’t know.”

“She’ll be coming today?”

“Yes, unless I’m very much mistaken.”

Lupin paced the floor back and forth, brows fused together into one thick long angry brush stroke. Lines of worry gathered by the corner of his eyes, grey and white hairs covered his honey brown head. Age is quickly overriding Remus Lupin.

“Remus, my boy. There is no use wearing yourself out. Have you decided on what you shall say when we go to fetch Harry?” Calmly, Professor Dumbledore peered at the young man through his half-moon glasses.

“Hell Dumbledore! What? Have you phrases in stock for this? Then by all means bring them out! Merlin knows I have no words of my own to say to the poor boy. What can I say?” Stopping briefly to look at Dumbledore rather accusingly, he continued, voice dripping with sarcasm: “’By and by Harry, your birthday present this year would be the arrival of your death, there, isn’t that a lovely surprise!’” he ended with a snort.

“Sarcasm will not get you anywhere Remus; you need to be honest, and patient. I…”

A soft tap on the window revealed a handsome black eagle owl, a letter on her feet. Dumbledore stood up immediately to retrieve the letter. It was addressed to him, and it was from Severus Snape. He read the letter aloud for the benefit of Remus Lupin:

Albus:

I have disturbing news. Mr Ronald Weasley have just informed me that Mr Potter has just send him a letter via his owl, who is currently very agitated and refuses to leave the Burrow. I enclose the letter for you to read. In short, Mr Potter has run away from home. But he is not on Knightbus, that much I know. So his whereabouts cannot be identified at this moment. He will be in great danger of Death Eaters and Voldemort I fear. Act quickly.

Severus

Dumblebore, eyebrows tightly knitted, extracted the second parchment in one swift movement, and read that also:

Ron:

Look after Hedwig, feed her lots and give her a bath. I have told her not to return to me, as she will be too conspicuous. I’ve had enough Ron, too much beating, starvation, chores and humiliations. I’m running away. The Dursleys aren’t in today, that’s how I rescued Hedwig from her cells (she’s been locked in a cupboard all summer). Meanwhile I’m trying to get through to the 6 padlocks to my school things. When I’m done, I’ll catch the Knightbus to Hogwarts. Write to you when I get there.

Harry

“Well, he’s not here.” Remus stated plainly.

“Yes, it may take some time. In the meantime, some one must go to the Dursleys’ house to check if Harry’s still there. If Harry is still there, he can be escorted to Hogwarts.” Dumbledore said calmly. “We have to stay here in case he arrives, and in case She arrives. Today is 31st of July. Severus would be able to get there easily. I’ll call him.” with this, he threw some floo powder into the fireplace, and called clearly:

“Severus Snape, Number 12, Grimauld Place”

Soon Severus Snape stepped out of the fireplace. His usual silky voice greeted them:

“You called me Headmaster?”

“Yes Severus. Thank you for acting so quickly. However, we need you to go to Dursley’s, disguised of course. And if Harry’s still there, I would like you to escort him to Hogwarts. If he is not, well, use all your excellent spying skills to track him down. To find him is our utmost concern at this moment.”

“But if the Dark Lord finds him first?” He said with just a trace of concern in his voice.

“Then it will be your job to try to rescue him alive. He may be the only hope of wizarding world.” Dumbledore said gravely.

“I’ll do my…” However, Snape was not allowed to finish, as a silver vortex suddenly materialised in front of them. A girl stepped out of it, dark hairs framed her terrified face, and an emerald ring of snakes glistened on her finger. Severus Snape gaped at her, and the ring, and breathed:

“It can’t be…hers…”

Chapter End Notes:

Please Read and Review!!!

Star Soul