Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Oooh, This chapter’s shifty. Watch out!

Thanks again Molly for looking this one over!

Familiarity?

As he slept, Harry could hear someone speaking to him, calling his name. He knew the voice. Not Snape. The voice was much warmer, not the cold frost that Snape put out disguised as communication. Drowsily, Harry attempted to concentrate. Ah, yes, now he could place the voice with its owner. It was Remus Lupin.

“Harry,” said Lupin. “Harry, you need to drink this.”

Remus helped him to sit up and pressed a goblet to the boy’s lips. Harry turned his face away from the drink.

“I’m not thirsty,” Harry said softly.

“You must do something to keep up your strength, and this will help you. Professor Snape tells me that you haven’t been eating well,” Lupin set the full goblet on the night stand near Harry’s bed.

“Yes, that’s only because there’s something wrong with what he tries to feed me,” Harry said in a still drowsy whisper.

“I’m sure that he has your best interests at heart, Potter,” Lupin said softly.

“I’m sure,” Harry murmured disbelievingly.

Potter? Harry felt the dreaminess of sleep quickly fading. He reached for his glasses and felt a jolt of shock run through him as Lupin roughly grabbed his hand. He looked up at Lupin’s face. His familiar features were blurred by Harry’s naturally poor vision.

“Why are you here?” Harry asked as he carefully pulled his hand away from Remus. He’d get his glasses later.

“I wanted to see how you were. I was worried about you,” Lupin answered.

“I’m well, thank you for the concern.”

“Pot- Harry, you don’t look well to me. When was the last time you ate a decent meal? You do realize what will happen if you keep on like this, don’t you?”

Harry shook his head. Why did Lupin sound so different? The voice was the same, but there was something not quite right. It wasn’t that he sounded so different, but more like he felt different.

“I’d really rather not talk right now. I’m very tired,” Harry said quietly as he feigned a yawn.

“All right, you can get some more rest, but I must insist that you drink this first,” Lupin offered Harry the full goblet once more. Harry took it in hand and looked into it. The dark liquid inside shimmered beautifully. It looked appetizing, but smelled quite disgusting.

“What is it?”

“It doesn’t matter what it is. All that matters is that it will help you to recover,” Lupin answered in an irritated tone.

“It does matter what it is. I won’t drink it without knowing what it will do to me.”

“You are behaving very foolishly, Potter.”

“Maybe,” Harry said softly. “But I don’t need a mystery potion, even if you say it will help me.”

“I’m not leaving until you drink it,” Lupin said in an unfamiliar stern and almost harsh tone of voice. Harry felt something inside of him recoil as he saw the intensity of Lupin’s gaze clearly even without his glasses.

Well then, I guess you aren’t leaving anytime soon are you? Better make yourself at home.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t want it.”

“I never said that you had to want it. You need it, and you’re drinking it now,” Lupin growled.

Harry moved to get up on his weak legs. He felt two firm hands push him back onto his bed. He struggled against the hands that were forcing his mouth open and pouring the putrid smelling potion past his lips. No! Lupin wouldn’t have treated me this way! He gagged as a hand forced his mouth shut and the other plugged his nose. The taste was so revolting, but there was no opportunity to spit the stuff out. He was already choking the stuff down because part of it had painfully gone down the wrong pipe.

The unkind hands finally released him, and he coughed as though he’d been drowning. It took several moments to catch his breath

“Potter, you’re making this far more difficult than it has to be,” Lupin said with a dark smile of victory.

“At least I’ve been honest, unlike you,” Harry said as he felt his vision beginning to swim.

“I was trying to take the path of least resistance, Potter.”

“You can’t fool me into trusting you. No matter what you look like,” Harry mumbled as his eyes rolled and his body relaxed involuntarily.

“No, perhaps not, but it was worth a try.”

Lupin shifted Harry on the bed and covered him as if he were performing a demeaning or undesired task. He snatched up the empty goblet and left the room with his robes swishing behind him.