Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Tryouts

That Quidditch season was rapidly approaching was obvious. Signs advertising try-outs for all four school teams decorated the walls in the hallways and common rooms. The Gryffindor team, captained by both Fred and George Weasley, was in need of only one player this year, and competition was expected to be fierce. As the date for the trials drew closer, Harry was thankful that he wasn't captain of the team and wouldn't have to choose between people he considered friends. Ron was trying out for the open keeper position, and he and Harry spent many hours outside of class practicing moves and honing Ron's skills, much to Hermione's disgust. By the time the two boys dragged themselves into the common room at night to study, all they were really good for was studying the insides of their eyelids.

The first Saturday morning of October dawned crisp and clear with more than a hint of autumn in the air. It promised to be a wonderful day for flying, but Ron was obviously too nervous to notice as he sat silently at breakfast. Hermione watched him with amusement as he stared into the distance; eyes busily fixed on nothing, lips moving silently. "Ron"

"Ron, are you alright?"

"Ron, are you in there?"

"RONALD WEASLEY, WILL YOU ANSWER ME!" Hermione bellowed at Ron.

"You're wasting your time Hermione" Ginny volunteered, looking vastly amused. "He can't hear you."

"Will he come out of it before he has to fly?" Hermione asked, looking concerned.

"Oh yes, he'll be so totally focused on what he needs to do that he'll do really well. Just don't expect any conversation from him until then. Even Harry wouldn't be able to jolly him out of this mood!"

"I wonder where he is? I haven't seen him since just before we left for breakfast."

"I saw him talking to Fred and George, my guess is that they're figuring out what they're looking for in a keeper and how they're going to stage it." Ginny replied.

"Shouldn't they have figured that out before now?" Hermione asked disapprovingly.

"That's the way they've always done things." Ginny answered with a nonchalant shrug. "They say they do things better on the fly, I think they're just too lazy to think ahead. I think that's why they were chosen as co-captains. One alone wouldn't be nearly as effective as the two of them are together."

Just then Harry came running in, long black hair rumpled as usual and robe billowing behind him.

"You better watch it Harry, moving like that you look a lot like Snape" Seamus said with a grin.

Harry glared at Seamus as he seated himself next to Ron. Hermione couldn't help but notice that expression made him look even more like their notorious professor.

"Ron, pass the cream."

"Ron, will you pass the cream."

"RON, PASS THE RUDDY CREAM!!" Harry bellowed in Ron's ear.

Receiving no response he looked perplexedly across the table at the two girls.

"Here Harry, I'll pass it to you" Ginny said with a faint tinge of pink in her cheeks and a hint of mischief in her eyes. "Ron's a little preoccupied right now."

"I noticed" Harry said dryly. "Does he get like this often?"

"No, only when he's really, really nervous. You should have seen him the morning he went to Hogwarts the first time. Fred and George do a marvelous impression, you should ask them about it."

Just then the twins peeked around the corner and beckoned to Harry.

"Time to go, and I hardly got anything to eat." Harry moaned looking at the piles of food stacked on the serving trays down the middle of the table. "Good luck Ron, I'll see you after try-outs." Harry said on his way out.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nine people ultimately tried out for keeper of the Gryffindor team, and by the time all nine had an opportunity to show their skills, the team was exhausted. They discussed the prospects as they wandered back toward their changing rooms. Because their brother was one of the hopefuls, Fred and George had given Katie Bell and Angelina Johnson final say in who was picked. There wasn't really much question in the end, Ron's abilities had far surpassed the others who tried.

"So when will you tell him?" Harry asked as they trudged back toward the main hall.

"We'll put the notice up tomorrow morning," Katie said, "and you are NOT to say anything to him or anyone else, understand."

"Yes General Bell." Harry answered with a tired grin, his hair plastered to his head.

During the walk back to the castle, Harry noticed Angelina looking at him out of the corner of her eye. Tiring of it quickly, he finally said, "Is there something on my nose?"

"Um, I hope you don't take this wrong, but, you've sure changed a lot in the last few months...you look like someone, but I just can't put my finger on it."

Harry thought quickly, trying to think of a way to keep Angelina from making the connection he was afraid she was about to make. Namely, that he looked like Snape.

"We all grow up sometime." He finally said with studied nonchalance.

During dinner that night Ron was bubbling over with excitement and insisted on recounting to anyone who would listen how well he had demonstrated his flying skills that morning. Harry, on the other hand, sat quietly, not eating much and not saying anything to anybody. Ginny, sitting across from him once again, watched him furtively, and finally decided to ask him what was wrong.

"Harry."

"Harry Potter"

"Did you say something?" Harry asked as his eyes focused in on Ginny.

"Are you alright Harry? You haven't eaten anything."

"Just thinking. Hermione will you meet me in the library after dinner?"

"What?! You can't mean you're going to the library to study on a Saturday night!" Ron spluttered, overhearing the conversation. "Hermione what have you done to him?"

"I haven't done anything, maybe he just finally realizes the importance of studying..something you could learn about too!"

"Well, I won't be joining you!"

"Actually Ron, I'd appreciate it if you would. The more help I get the better. Ginny, you're welcome to join us too." Harry looked down at his almost full plate. "I'm not really hungry, I think I'll go now."

As he wandered toward the door, Harry could feel someone staring at him. Turning around, he scanned the room to see who it could be. Professor Lupin met Harry's eyes with a concerned look. Harry gave him a halfhearted smile and then left. Lupin sat considering whether to say anything, and finally came to a decision. Leaning over to the professor next to him and clearing his throat he said quietly, "Have you thought anymore about what you're going to say to Harry?"

Snape's head snapped up and he stared at Remus. "Why."

"Because you had better do something soon. Harry is looking more and more like you every day, and it's only a matter of time before he figures it out on his own."