Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer – J.K. Rowling owns it, not me.
Chapter 1

“NO!”

A teenage boy abruptly shot up in bed, chest heaving, eyes wild. He glanced wildly around the room once before a semblance of calm returned to the green eyes.

It’s alright Harry. Just a dream, just a dream.

He shivered suddenly, goose-bumps breaking out over his skin.

Why is it so cold in here?

Shrugging, the boy burrowed back under the covers and tried to go back to sleep. It was his first night back at Hogwarts and he was glad to be home. He shifted slightly, trying to find a comfortable position to lie that didn’t aggravate his bruises.

Let’s just say that the Dursley’s don’t take well to being threatened. Oh no. Not at all.

His injuries weren’t particularly bad, but Harry certainly hadn’t enjoyed being locked back in his cupboard, especially since it was now a much tighter fit. Uncle Vernon had also started a new habit of slapping him, pushing him down stairs, giving him the odd kick and generally ‘accidentally’ inflicting many bruises and small cuts to his nephew’s body.

Just as long as nobody finds out. Not that anyone will. I’m sure I can keep it from Ron and Hermione and Sirius…

A choked sob was heard, and then the teenager abruptly turned on his side, obviously wrenching his thoughts to a different topic.

Enough! No more. I have to get some sleep.

Harry shivered once again, and pulled the covers up higher. The dreams he had were of Voldemort torturing various prisoners, Muggles of all ages. Tonight a little girl had been forced to watch as her family were tortured and murdered in front of her. The shrill cries of “Mummy! Don’t hurt Mummy, please…” were enough to haunt Harry’s dreams for days. He didn’t know if Voldemort knew he was there or not, but he hadn’t been acknowledged.

He really had to learn Occulmency. He’d tried, over the summer, but nothing seemed to work. He’d seen so many visions. One finally convinced him to act. Snape had been put under the Cruciatus for two solid minutes because he hadn’t any information to give the Dark lord about where Harry lived. Seeing a man, even one he disliked heartily, being tortured because of him had struck something in the boy. This year he was determined to study hard, to learn Occulmency and to do anything he could to stop Voldemort.

The first thing he did was to try to apologise to Professor Snape. He’d sent a letter, with Hedwig, which read,

Dear Professor Snape,

You have probably thrown this letter straight onto the fire as soon as you recognised the handwriting, and indeed you have due cause to. I am writing this letter both as an apology for my appalling behaviour and as a long overdue note of gratitude.

Firstly, I wish to formally apologise for my intrusion of your privacy last year. Rest assured that I have spoken to no-one of this event, except Sirius and Remus. I do not expect you to believe me, however, that I spoke to them merely to confirm the event and then to yell at them for what they did to you. I know that you think lowly of me (and yes, I know that’s an understatement) but please believe me when I say that I was absolutely disgusted by the way that my father and his friends treated you. It brought a side of my father to my attention that I had not previously known and now cannot ignore. I used to wish that I was similar to my father, and felt proud of myself if anybody told me that. Now I am merely ashamed and it is my wish that I am more like my mother. However, I know your view that I am merely a copy of my father, and I am sorry for that. I now understand. At least, why it is that you hate me so.

I know that you are very angry, and rightly so, but I am desperate to continue with my lessons. I know that I did not show the deserved appreciation for your time and expertise. I cannot expect anything from you, however, if you do decide that you will reach me again, rest assured that my attitude will be changed this year. I was stupid, and I messed up. I will not let the lesson go to waste.

Lastly, I wish to thank you for all that you have done for me over the years. I realise this may seem a little strange coming now, but I realised that I had never told you that I am grateful. I know how much it must have took, to keep saving a boy whom you hated. I realise that if I met Draco Malfoy’s son I would be had pressed to regard him neutrally. I doubt that I could be as strong as you.

Sincerely,

Harry Potter

He hadn’t received a reply, but then again he hadn’t expected to. It’s not like he deserved one.

But I swear now, I will not let Sirius’ sacrifice go to waste. Remus is teaching DADA this year and I’ll learn loads from him and somehow, even if I have to go to the Restricted Section and find a book on it to teach myself, I will learn Occulmency. I’ll not let myself get taunted by Snape and I’ll get better at potions. I’ll actually work this year. I’ll do everything, anything, just to kill the bastard. For my parents. For Sirius.