Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer – J.K. Rowling owns it, not me.

Thanks to all my reviewers!

Chapter 4

As soon as Harry was released from Madam Pomfrey’s zealous care, he made his way towards his Potions Professor’s office, idly wondering if his Occulmency lessons this year would be better than last’s. It’s not like they could be worse, I suppose. Maybe if Snape sees that I’m really trying this year then he’ll take me more seriously. I can’t afford not to learn anymore.

When he reached his destination he took a deep breath before knocking. He entered at the terse command to find Snape seated at his desk. He didn’t look up as Harry entered but vaguely waved a hand towards the chair in front of him.

“Is Mr Potter feeling all better now?”

The snide remark caused the familiar heat of anger begin to burn inside Harry, but he desperately fought it down. Can’t get angry. Mustn’t get angry. Ignore him, ignore him.

“Yes sir, thank-you sir.”

Harry kept his eyes lowered and his posture meek. When there was silence, he looked up to find Snape regarding him coolly. The man pushed a pile of books across the table towards him. Harry glanced at the title of the top book – “Occulmency – A Guide to a Clear Mind”. Eyes lit up with gratitude, Harry looked up to thank his Professor who seemed momentarily surprised to witness his enthusiasm although it was quickly masked.

“Take these Potter. I don’t want to see you back in here until you’ve read them. Thoroughly.

Harry nodded, grabbed the books and made his escape hastily; rejoicing in the lack of angry spells thrown in his direction.

Halfway back to the Common Room, he paused. He couldn’t exactly walk in with a load of books about Occulmency – the lessons were supposed to be a secret. Dithering for a moment on where he could take the books, his mind ran over various possibilities. The Room of Requirement was where he would usually go to do anything in private, but he didn’t know what happened to the room when nobody was using it. What if the books disappeared? Snape would be absolutely furious, and with good cause for once. Another thought was that somehow he could get to the dormitory and acquire his Invisibility cloak. If the books were kept under the cloak at all times then they would be safe. However, that would leave him unable to use the cloak at all.

Then it struck him. Professor Lupin! Harry was sure that the kindly man wouldn’t mind keeping them safe for Harry once he understood. This decision made, Harry abruptly turned and strode off towards the Defence Professor’s chambers.

Once outside, his hand poised to knock, he hesitated again. What if Lupin was angry at his suggestion? It was rather presumptuous… Lupin would probably be horrified that Harry was basically asking if he could use the man’s private rooms as his own storage space. Angry with himself, Harry let his hand fall and was about to turn when he heard the familiar voice float along the corridor.

“Harry? Were you coming to see me?”

It was Professor Lupin who had a big smile on his face as he caught sight of the young Gryffindor. He reached the door and said the password, “Marauder”. Harry smiled faintly and then, at Remus’ urgings, followed the older man inside.

He sat himself on the sofa nervously as Remus bustled around making tea. Think Harry! You need an excuse to be here if you’re not going to ask about the books. He realised he was still gripping the said tomes closely and set them down on the arm of the sofa.

“So Harry, to what do I owe this pleasure?”

Harry shifted anxiously in his chair. Remus was sitting beside him and he suddenly noticed that the man seemed to be giving off a great deal off warmth. Suddenly distracted, he frowned in concern.

“Are you feeling alright? You seem awfully warm.”

Remus looked at him in puzzlement.

“I’m not particularly warm, Harry.” He reached out a calloused hand and felt Harry’s forehead. Harry gasped – the hand felt very warm against his skin, yet not unpleasant. It felt comforting and soothing and Harry sighed at the touch. When he looked up, Remus was regarding him with a worried look in his eyes.

“You feel just the same temperature as I do, Harry.”

“Wh-What?” Harry was startled. Professor Lupin was definitely much warmer than him. However, the man was looking genuinely concerned now and Harry could predict another trip to the Hospital Wing if he wasn’t careful.

Desperate to change the subject and puzzle over the heat phenomenon later, Harry cast about for something to say. Unfortunately, the only topic that he could think of happened to be the one that he had been skirting around.

“Can I leave my books in here?”

He took in Remus’ startled look and hastily carried on.

“I’m sorry! It’s just that they’re Occulmency books from Snape and the lessons are supposed to be a secret so I don’t know where I can keep them but I can understand you don’t want them lying around in here so I’m sorry for asking and I’ll just go now and find…”

Harry hadn’t paused for breath at all in this long, apologetic ramble until Remus silenced him by a warm hand on his arm.

“Harry, of course you can keep them here! It’s no trouble at all. It was clever of you not to take them straight to your Common Room and I agree that it would be a good idea to keep them private.”

Harry had been all ready to apologise once more and then leave, but at this his mouth slammed shut, and then opened cautiously.

“You mean - I can leave them here?”

Remus’ eyes twinkled in a manner that was uncannily like Professor Dumbledore.

“I believe that is what I said.”

Harry beamed, but then suddenly thought of a difficulty.

“But how will I read them? If they’re in here, I mean. I can’t exactly just walk in.”

“Why not? You know the password.”

Harry gaped soundlessly for a minute.

“But...But...they’re your private quarters! I can’t just wander in and out!”

Remus laughed and then unexpectedly leaned forward to tousle Harry’s hair affectionately. Harry froze but managed not to flinch away. Remus’ touch was warm and kindly.

“You aren’t just any old student to me, Harry. I don’t mind you coming in here, indeed I would relish the idea of you coming in and out. In fact, I may be constantly kidnapping your possessions so that I can lure you in to come and see me more often.”

Harry flushed. “You wouldn’t mind?”

“Harry, any excuse to get you to come and see mw more often is good for me. I love having you around. But even if I’m not in, you can still come and hang around in here if you want to, alright? I won’t change the password without telling you. These rooms are far too nice for just one person to enjoy.”

Harry was overcome suddenly with emotion. He wasn’t sure if Remus knew just how much he was offering Harry. It was almost like having a family – being able to saunter in and out of rooms, having someone who was actually actively seeking out Harry’s company.

Spontaneously, he leaned forward and awkwardly hugged the werewolf. Remus’ arms encircled him in return, gently holding him close.

“Thank you” he whispered quietly.

Xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Over the next few days, Harry was very happy. He was finding it hard to keep to his resolve of always concentrating in lessons and doing his homework ahead of schedule but every time he was tempted to have a snooze in History of Magic which was by far his most boring lesson or to play exploding Snap with Ron instead of finishing his Potions essay with Hermione, he thought of Sirius and found new resolve. It was ironic really, he mused, since Sirius was never one to encourage him to do much work.

Whenever he had spare time, which wasn’t often what with merry nights in the Common Room with his friends and the intense Quidditch practices, Harry went to see Remus. It gave the boy a good feeling in the pit of his stomach every time he gave to password to the door and entered the rooms that were beginning to be like a second home to him.

Often Remus was there and he was always glad to see Harry. The two often sat in comfortable silence together, Harry deeply enthralled in his Occulmency books and the Professor steadily marking essays.

One night Harry fell asleep on the sofa, struggling to get through a difficult passage in the driest, least well written book that Snape had given him. He woke sometime later to a delicious warmth surrounding him. As he came to, he realised that he was stretched out on the sofa with a blanket tucked around him. His head was on Remus’ lap, whose fingers were gently carding through his hair as the man read a book. When the Professor realised that his charge was awake he smiled affectionately down at him and Harry felt about as content as he had ever been.

That night he stumbled back to Gryffindor to find Ginny sitting hunched over a piece of parchment which was crumpled and covered in ink. She looked impossibly tired and more than a little upset.

“What’s the matter, Ginny?”

“Oh, nothing Harry. It’s just this stupid Potions essay. Professor Snape will kill me if I haven’t done it by tomorrow but I just…”

She stumbled slightly and Harry sat down next to her.

“I know, OWLs year is terrible.”

Ginny gave a slightly shaky smile and Harry settled himself more comfortably.

“Right then, what’s the topic?”

Ginny looked pathetically grateful for his help and gave him a beaming smile.

Somehow Harry found himself sitting with Ginny for the next three hours, painstakingly helping the girl with every assignment she had that was dragging her down. By the time they had finished it was the early hours of the morning.

Ginny set down her quill and lay back with a sigh, the two leaning against each other companionably. Harry was once again struck by the feelings of warmth that filled him. It was different now than it felt with Remus, but the warmth was still pleasant. Somewhere in his tired mind, Harry dimly mused that perhaps he should try to explain to someone about the whole ‘warm’ thing. I mean, he was sure he never used to feel this way around people.

Somehow, Harry and Ginny managed to get the energy together to drag themselves up from the sofa. For a moment there was an awkward pause, and then they separated to go to their respective dormitories. Harry shook it off as tired ness and wearily climbed into bed.

Dimly a thought flashed through his mind, I should really try to clear my mind, but he was just so very tired, and soon sleep dragged him into blissful rest.

Xoxoxoxoxox

“Crucio!”

Harry thrashed and screamed as he felt the burn of the curse. When the pain finally ended he lay panting on a stone floor.

A cold voice reached his ears.

“Ah, Mr Potter, how nice to see you. My theory works, then. Tell me, young Gryffindor, how do you feel? Cold?”

Harry merely stared in fear at the skeletal figure with red eyes approaching him. His mouth appeared to be frozen and he couldn’t reply. Voldemort laughed softly. He was so close to Harry now, crouched right in front of him.

“I have a nice surprise planned for you, Harry. In a little while. You’ll enjoy it, I’m sure.”

He eyes gleamed with a malicious light as his fingers reached forward, inching towards him. Harry struggled desperately, but couldn’t seem to move away.

The fingers touched his scar, cool fingers. Pain blossomed inside his head and he screamed in agony…

Shouts filled the air,

“Harry! Harry!”

Harry thrashed, the feeling of cold fingers still upon his forehead. Vague sounds reached his ears.

“…get Professor Lupin…”

“..hold…legs…”

“Don’t…think…get…better?”

“Anyone…Seamus go and… “

A cacophony of voices, harsh sounds ringing in his ears. Desperately Harry fought against the restraining hands that were pinning him down.

“ No no no no no…”

Suddenly the hands fell away as Harry felt two more presences approach him. A cool hand was laid across his forehead and Harry shied away violently, unconsciously rolling right into the other. The second man was warm and felt comforting.

Remus!

Whimpering, Harry pressed closer to the presence he now knew as his father’s old friend. Immediately arms came around him, soothing, protecting. In the safe cocoon of warmth, Harry gradually came back to himself.

He was half sitting, half lying on his bed, supported by Remus. Neville, Ron, Dean and Seamus were standing by the hangings, looking at him with varying degrees of caution and concern. Dumbledore was standing near, hand raised slightly.

Unable to face his dorm mates’ stares, Harry turned his head and pressed it into Remus’ robes. In response, the supporting arms tightened around him slightly and he was pulled a bit closer to the warm body.

The Headmaster’s voice cut through the uneasy silence.

“Remus, if I may, could I borrow the use of your room so that you and Harry can have a little discussion with me in more cosy surroundings than those of my office while these boys can go back to sleep..”

The old man’s gaze towards Harry was sympathetic but Harry felt guilt run through him as he realised that it was the middle of the night. He shivered slightly and Remus pulled him even closer before helping Harry to his feet.

The journey to the familiar rooms seemed to take at once an age and a second. Remus half carried Harry as his legs seemed too weak to support him. Once there, Remus drew Harry down to sit on the sofa close to him.

The evening faded into jumble of hushed words and the crackle of the fire. Harry told the two older men of his vision at Dumbledore’s request. When he got the part where Voldemort had spoken to him and then touched him, Remus had given a small cry and drawn Harry fully onto his lap. Harry had the vague feeling that if he wasn’t so tired he would have been embarrassed by this, but as it was he merely relished the feeling of contentment as he snuggled into Remus’ chest, enjoyed the feeling of Remus’ arms wound around him and the steady rise and fall of his chest as he breathed.

Lupin and Dumbledore held a long conversation and Harry quickly fell asleep, as the pain pulsing from his scar gradually faded as did the lingering sense of terror, lulled by the warm embrace and soothing voice of his protector.