Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer – J.K. Rowling owns it, not me.

Thanks to all my reviewers!

Chapter 5

When Harry woke, he was wrapped in a blanket on the sofa in Remus’ rooms. Stretching slightly he caught sight of the clock. For a few moments he merely caught stared at it in bemused horror, and then suddenly coming back to himself he jumped off the sofa in a panicked flurry of movement.

Unfortunately, he became entangled in the blanket he had been covered with and tripped over his own feet. As he landed on the floor, he heard a gentle chuckle and looked up to see Professor Lupin looking down at him.

“Professor! Why didn’t you wake me? I’m supposed to be in class! Professor Snape is going to kill me! I-“

Remus chuckled again, but stopped when he saw Harry’s face.

“Calm down Harry! You are excused from class this morning. Professor Dumbledore would like to talk to us both – seeing as you fell asleep last night.”

Harry flushed in mortification.

“I’m sorry, I was just…”

Remus looked slightly apologetic,

“I was only joking, Harry. It’s perfectly understandable that you fell asleep after the vision you had to see. Now, why don’t I call a house-elf and you can have some breakfast and then we’ll make our way up. The Headmaster is expecting us.”

Professor Dumbledore, of course, knew that it was them before they entered the room and then offered the two men tea and a sherbet lemon. When he was satisfied, he sat back in his chair and smiled gently.

“Harry, I trust you are feeling more rested this morning after a lie-in?”

Harry mumbled an affirmative while scrutinising the floor. Why did everybody insist on remarking on his sleeping habits?

“Last night, Harry, myself and Remus here discussed your vision in great detail. We must admit that we are a little worried.”

The boy looked up to see that, indeed, the concern was evident in both pairs of eyes. Remus spoke up next.

“It is troubling us that Voldemort seems to know have some measure of power over your connection.”

Harry nodded. Voldemort’s words returned to him: Mr Potter, how nice to see you. My theory works, then.

He looked up at his two mentors. “You mean, Voldemort can pull me into his mind whenever he wants?” Harry started to tremble at the thought. “But, he can cause me pain! He could possess me! It’s not safe – what if I- “

Remus noticed his growing fear and swiftly knelt at the boy’s side and lying a reassuring arm around his shoulders.

“Harry, we do not believe that Voldemort knows the extent of the connection that links you – its limitations and its powers. We have time before he learns to manipulate you too far; however, you are correct in saying that it is dangerous to you.”

Harry felt frustration rise in him.

“You don’t understand! I’m not worried about the danger to me, but to everyone else! What if he possesses me in the middle of the Great Hall? Think what he could make me do!”

Harry was standing now, tense with the growing fear inside him. Abruptly, Remus turned him around and drew him tight against his chest. Harry resisted for a moment, but Remus’ arm was securely around him and his hand was firmly pressing the boy’s head into his shoulder.

Remus had immediately recognised that Harry had missed out on much as a child, including affectionate touch and seemed determined to make up for the lost years. Harry wasn’t going to complain. At first he had been awkward, unsure on how to react, but as he adjusted he found himself longing for, almost craving, the security and peace that the closeness of another person could give him.

Harry gripped tight to the older man’s robes and felt the horror and frustration leave him as the gentle hand moved slowly up and down his back. Remus’ voice was soft as he spoke to the dark head nestled under his chin.

“Harry, I know it’s frightening, but we can stop this. Your Occulmency lessons will be stepped up to three times a week, and at the rate that you’ve been devouring those books I have every confidence that you’ll pick it up soon.”

The Headmaster had moved around until he could place a comforting hand on Harry’s shoulder.

“However, too alleviate your worries we have decided on one extra precaution until you completely master the art. If you agree, I would like for you to sleep in Professor Lupin’s rooms for a little while. So far, the visions have come only at night, so that is when you are most vulnerable. Having a fully competent wizard on hand can only be a good thing.”

Harry drew back from the warm embrace and looked up at Remus with weary eyes.

“Thank you, Professor. I think that would be a good idea.”

The Headmaster beamed at him. “Excellent my boy! Now, there are just a few other points…”

Harry re-seated himself and shifted until he was comfortable.

“Now, my boy, I believe that Voldemort asked you if you were cold during the vision? Remus was telling me that you were saying something interesting about warmth earlier this week, although he dismissed it at the time.”

Harry squirmed a little. “I don’t really know, sir. It’s just, I have noticed some stuff but it’s all just little things, I don’t really think it’s relevant.”

Remus gave him an encouraging look. “Anything might be important, Harry. Tell us what you have noticed.”

Harry paused a moment to get his thoughts in order, and then told the two what he knew.

“Well, I’ve noticed that overall Hogwarts seems to be colder this year, although no one else seems to think so. I thought nothing of it at first, but I realise now that this year when I’ve had a vision I’ve woken up feeling very cold and shivering. Then, as you know, the other day I was with Remus and I noticed that he felt very warm to me, even though he said that we were the same temperature.”

Harry stumbled a bit, but neither of his listeners seemed to think that what he was saying was a load of codswallop so he ploughed onwards.

“I’ve noticed that certain people feel warm to me, and certain people feel cold. Voldemort’s hand felt extremely cold when he touched me, although that maybe just because of whom he is, of course. Remus feels warm, as do my friends to a lesser extent.”

Harry paused and looked at the others to see the effects of his words. Remus was staring up at the ceiling and seemed to be in as sort of daze, whereas Dumbledore looked faintly puzzled and was stroking his beard with one hand as he surveyed Harry pensively.

“Well, I must admit that I have never heard anything like this before. Remus?”

Remus, to Harry’s dismay, appeared to be as in the dark as Dumbledore. However, the old man’s smile was as bright as always as he spoke again.

“Well, I think that all you can do for now is practise hard at your Occulmency and try to notice as much as you can about this warmth. You said that Remus is a particular source of this heat? Well, then try to study it was you will be spending time with him. We will meet again soon to discuss this further. In the meantime I shall do some research. It seems to be a fascinating problem.”

Harry wasn’t quite sure that he liked part of his life being called ‘a fascinating problem’ but meekly trailed off with Remus to his new rooms. The house-elves had already moved his trunk and he unpacked quickly. He realised that his friends hadn’t seen him since the night before, and were probably worrying now that all his belongings had suddenly disappeared.

Remus noticed his sudden gloom as he sat down heavily on the couch and came to sit beside him.

“I know it’s uncertain right now, Harry, but it’ll be alright, you’ll see.”

Harry wasn’t so sure, but he forced a smile for Remus and then went to find his friends.

Entering the Gryffindor Common Room, he spotted Hermione, Ron and Ginny sitting huddled together next to the fire, talking anxiously whilst wearing frantic expressions. Ron was gesticulating wildly as he told the girls something, and Harry guessed he was informing them that all of his belongs had vanished.

Feeling a stab of guilt, Harry walked swiftly over to them.

“Hey guys.”

“Harry!” All three spoke at once and the resulting laugh broke some of the tension. Hermione pulled Harry down to sit beside him and her and Ginny each hugged him, one from each side. Harry felt a flush of warmth run through him at the action and was momentarily distracted. Coming back, he realised that Ron was talking to him,

“…no trunk! Didn’t have a clue what had happened – first Dumbledore and Lupin take you off, we don’t see you all day and the suddenly, all trace of you in the Tower is gone! What’s going on?”

Harry couldn’t help but chuckle at Ron’s tone and redhead looked slightly sheepish as he finished his little rant. Harry looked around cautiously before speaking quietly. He knew it was pointless to lie to his friends.

“I had a vision, except it was a bit different to usual. Voldemort spoke to me in this one, and he could touch me. We’re worried about what he can do so I’m sleeping in Remus’ quarters for a while until I get the hang of Occulmency.”

His three friends looked horrified and Harry felt shame rise up in him. I shouldn’t have told them! Now they’ll all be scared of me. However, before he could get up to go, Hermione had hugged him again.

“Oh Harry, why do these things always have to happen to you?”

Harry looked up at her through a messy fringe. “You…You’re not afraid of me?”

It was Ginny this time that wrapped her arms around him and Ron that spoke.

“Of course not mate, We know that you would never hurt us deliberately. But, I think it may be a good thing you’re with Lupin.”

At the other’s shocked faces, he hurried to explain. “For your sake, I mean! Lupin will be able to help you more than we can if something happens to you, Harry. That’s what I meant!”

Harry smiled at his friends who were now looking at him earnestly, willing him to believe them. They know me so well, he thought fondly.

Later that evening, as he was getting in to his unfamiliar bed, he was surprised when Remus knocked softly on his door and than came over to his bed.

“Just came to say goodnight” he told the tired boy.

Leaning over the bed, he tucked the covers around Harry snugly and then tenderly smoothed a piece of hair from his forehead. He was just straightening up when a drowsy voice halted him.

“When you do that it felt really warm.” Harry informed him.

Remus halted and stuttered a bit, obviously still unsure if this was a good thing or not and Harry hastened to reassure him. His tongue felt loosened somehow when he was half asleep and it felt much easier to describe to the older man just how the touches made him feel.

“It’s nice, you know. It’s a good kind of warm, kind of soothing and comforting.”

Remus eyes were soft as they looked down on the boy. He sat back down on the edge of the bed and cautiously cupped the boy’s face with his hand, marvelling at the way Harry unconsciously leaned into the touch.

“I’m glad Harry, I’m glad.”

Xoxoxoxoxoxox

Over the next few days, Harry had no more visions, although he did have a couple of nightmares. Harry couldn’t put up Silencing Charms because Remus needed to know if Harry was having a vision, so Remus was woken up on a few occasions by Harry’s whimpers and pleas in the night.

Each time he was woken he would go straight to Harry’s room, where he would see the boy crying out and thrashing around on the bed. Shaking his shoulders, Remus would wake the teen. Harry was usually disorientated and highly upset and the older man held him close while he recovered. Sometimes Harry pulled away fairly quickly, embarrassed, and others he would continues whimpering and push himself closer to Remus.

Remus never asked what the dreams were about, although from the little Harry said, he could make a fair guess. Sometimes Harry dreamed about his uncle, and on those days he was reluctant to let Remus offer him physical comfort. Other nights he dreamed of Sirius’ death, and those were the times when Harry would cry silently into Remus’ shirt. He would push closer to the warm body until he was practically sitting on the werewolf’s lap, so desperate he was for reassurance and comfort. Remus never minded, in fact he was glad to sit there, helping Harry as much as he could by letting him burrow into his warmth, by slowly rocking the boy and murmuring nonsensical words, soothing, calming. It wasn’t much, but it seemed to help and that was enough for Remus.

Xoxoxoxoxox

The full moon was coming up that night, and Remus had told Harry that because he was taking the Wolfsbane, he would keep his mind during the transformation, but told the boy that to be safe he was locking himself in his Office for the night. With an unusual sternness, the professor forbade Harry to go anywhere near the Office that night, and told him not to come and see him in the morning.

The next morning, Harry awoke early. He was worried about the werewolf and couldn’t settle without knowing how he was. Surely Remus wouldn’t mind if Harry just went to see him for one second? He just needed to see that he was alright. Remus wouldn’t even need to see him.

In his rush, Harry forgot the Invisibility Cloak, but only remembered it when he reached the door to Remus’ Office. Oh, well, Remus probably will be asleep and won’t see me anyway.

Muttering, ‘Alohomora’, Harry slowly pushed open the door and winced as it creaked. There was Remus, lying on the floor, looking very pale and weak, scratches up his arms and his robe looking torn in several places. Unable to suppress his worry and believing the man to be asleep, Harry crept to his side, trying to assess the damage.

Suddenly Remus eyes cracked open, and focused on him.

“Harry!” The one word was sharp and Harry stepped back. Remus struggled to sit up, and Harry instinctively moved forward to help him but halted at the angry look in the normal gentle eyes.

“What the hell are you doing? I expressly told you to stay away. Why have you deliberately gone against my wishes?”

Harry’s voice was small as he replied.

“I’m sorry, I was just worried and-“

“I told you that I would be fine, and yet you come anyway. Go, Harry, go away, I’m very disappointed in you.”

Harry stumbled out. Why was Remus so angry with him?

Finding himself at the top of the Astronomy Tower, Harry sank to his knees. He didn’t understand why Remus was so angry but there was a heavy, sick feeling in his stomach at the thought that the man was angry with him. Remus was never angry, and yet there had been a hard glint in his eye as he saw Harry standing in his Office that morning.

Harry didn’t know how long he sat there, but he gradually became aware of a presence behind him and turned to see the Headmaster. Lowering his eyes, he turned away, but was paused by the Headmaster’s hand on his arm.

“It is time for breakfast now Harry.”

Harry didn’t move and the old man sighed slightly before gently embracing the teenager. Harry leant into the surprisingly warm body of his headmaster. Still he didn’t speak, but the other seemed to know his troubles and tried to put his fears at rest as he spoke quietly into the young wizard’s ear while rubbing soothing circles with his hand onto the tense back.

“Remus is not really angry with you, my child. His temper is always more volatile in the couple of days that surround the full moon. He is also very proud and hates to have anyone see him in a weakened condition. Do not take his words to heart.”

“He told me to leave. He’s never sent me away like that before. He looked so angry…”

The Headmaster reassured the boy a certain amount, but Harry still felt upset throughout the day. His potion exploded for the first time that year and Professor Snape immediately assigned him a detention for that evening.

After classes Harry went back to the Common Room with his friends, who were trying to cheer him up. He didn’t know if Remus was still in the Hospital Wing or whether he was in his rooms, but he didn’t feel up to facing the man. However, he eventually found himself making his way there to put away his books before going to detention. As he entered the room he saw Remus, sitting on the sofa, obviously waiting for him.

“Harry.”

The word was spoken softly, but Harry cringed despite himself. Remus looked up, and Harry could not see anger in his gaze as he motioned for the boy to sit next to him on the sofa. Showing his Gryffindor side, Harry immediately plunged in.

“I’m sorry Remus, I just wanted to see if you were alright, I didn’t mean anything I was just worried. I know I shouldn’t have. Please don’t be angry with me, I can’t stand it when you are, but…”

Remus silenced him by drawing him into a tight hug. His voice was hoarse when he spoke to Harry, but the words were crystal clear.

“I’m not angry anymore Harry. I just didn’t want you to see me like that and was annoyed that you had deliberately gone against my orders. There’s no harm done this time, and I’m not cross, but next time I tell you not to do something, don’t do it, hmm?”

Harry slumped in relief at this statement and the two stayed in the gentle embrace for some time. Eventually he drew back.

“I have to go to detention.”

Remus looked surprised. “Who gave you detention? We have to go and see Professor Dumbledore at some point, but it sounds like it’ll have to be tomorrow.”

“Snape. I blew up my cauldron. I wasn’t concentrating.”

Remus had been looking disapproving, but softened at these words and all he said was “Professor Snape, Harry.”

Harry rolled his eyes but smiled as he walked out. The disapproving look of Remus’ face was reminiscent of the look that Mrs Weasley gave the twins often, and Harry though it was definitely a parental look. This thought gave him a warm glow, and so it was with a smile on his face that he walked into his detention.