Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:

Allllrright! Here we are. And well it seems that any apologies won’t be enough for my tardiness, but my RL is totally getting in the way of my having fun writing. Please please keep reading and reviewing. Enjoy!

Warning 1: Serious Angst + Extreme Cuteness

Warning 2: A spanking scene.

Chapter 24 - Oh My!

Harry came back to awareness so suddenly that it took him sometime until he discovered his surroundings. He was cradled against someone’s chest and he felt his hair being stroked. “Harry? Finally awake?” The voice was gentle, very gentle. The hand that was stroking his hair slipped down to cup his cheek. Harry blinked. That was strange, but he wasn’t going to complain about it. He tried to speak but his throat felt tight and his lips were dry. “m thrsti” He croaked weakly.

Immediately a glass of water was pressed to his lips and he drank greedily. With his thirst satisfied, he raised his head a little to look around. He was sitting on someone’s lap, and that someone was sitting on a very big purple bed and holding him tight. Harry looked up, the man’s face was pale and his eyes were black, so black that Harry felt himself about to fall into them. He flinched and was surprised when the man’s face showed a lot concern, “What, Harry? What is it? Are you alright?”

Harry was alright. Nothing was hurting and he felt more comfortable than any other time he remembered. He just didn’t understand. What happened? Where was he? Who was that man? And most important of all, was he in trouble? Oh yeah, he definitely was. He wasn’t at home, this wasn’t his cupboard. It was even much nicer than his Uncle’s bedroom. He was not at home and he was sitting on a person’s lap, a very big no-no for his Uncle. Harry trembled. He was a freak, he shouldn’t be sitting on people’s laps like good boys. Uncle Vernon was going to kill him, he was in soooo much trouble. Harry’s bottom lip stuck out and his eyes filled with tears.

Again the man’s concerned, and by now slightly surprised voice filled him with warmth, “Harry, what’s wrong?” The man’s fingers lifted his chin up and Harry again found himself directly looking into those deep black eyes. He was in big trouble, he knew it, but looking into those eyes, he knew that their owner could protect him. Then Harry did the only sensible thing that his little 4 years old mind could come up with, he buried his head in the man’s chest and sobbed out, “Uncle Vernon is go-ing to b-be m-aad.”

Severus almost gasped. He held Harry tighter and rocked him, “Shhhh Harry. It’s alright. No one is going to touch you here. Your Uncle isn’t here.”

When Harry had collapsed in the kitchen after his panic attack, Snape thought it was just that. A panic attack. It had never occurred to him that there would be more effects to the Headmaster’s visit. The pure rage he felt when he thought of the Headmaster was overwhelming. The child whimpered in his arms and Severus tried to control his emotions for the child’s sake.

He had fed Harry a calming draught followed by the peaceful illusions potion. The boiling coffee spilled on his hands in the process but he didn’t stop for a second. He held Harry close and carried to his room all the while the boy clutching at his robes with a death grip. Whenever he tried to put him down, the boy would whimper and whine and hold him tighter. Severus had to settle down on bed with Harry in his lap. He sat there for long hours waiting for Harry to wake up. He refused any help from Madam Pomfrey whom the Headmaster had called in and insisted on sitting on bed holding Harry until he woke up. Madam Pomfrey, frustrated, had left after managing with great difficulty to heal his burnt hands.

The Granger girl came in a bit later. Obviously, she had called and the Headmaster told her what happened and thought she might be of help. That fool, couldn’t he leave everything alone for once. Still, the girl was sensible enough not to try persuading him to put the child on bed and get some rest himself. She merely questioned in a whisper if there was something she could do and when she got no answer, she informed her Professor that she will be out in the hall if he needed her.

He felt relief beyond measure when the boy stirred in his arms and opened his eyes. Severus saw it as soon as the boy blinked. This was not Harry, not his Harry. Something was different, and he feared that despair had broken the boy, but no that was something else. The boy was looking curiously at him, just like a little child who woke up to find himself not with his Mummy anymore. He watched as different emotions passed through the boy’s features as he looked around the room and at him. The boy didn’t recognize him, it was clear. Even when he pouted, it was a pure childish pout. Granted, his Harry used to pout a lot too, but that wasn’t it. And now, this childish voice, and that statement ... Severus almost gasped. He needed Poppy, NOW!

He whispered gently, “Harry. I will need to go call someone. Can I put you in bed now?”

Harry shook all over and looked pleadingly at Snape, “Nooo, don’t call Uncle Vernon, please. I am sorry.”

Snape closed his eyes trying to calm himself down, “No Harry I won’t. I promise. I will just call a friend of mine here and then I will come and hold you again. Is that alright?”

Harry nodded and reluctantly loosened his grip on the man’s clothes. Severus was finally able to lay him gently in bed before stretching his stiff legs and arms. He went out to find both Hermione and Dumbledore sitting in the small hall at the top of the stairs, silently staring into space (in case of Dumbledore) or reading a book (in case of Hermione). Snape’s rage boiled as he saw Dumbledore. At least his presence will save him the time instead of going down to the floo and calling Madam Pomfrey himself. He coldly spat one word, “Pomfrey!” and swirled back to Harry’s room.

As Snape charged in the room still feeling the fury ebbing in his chest, he wanted to slap himself. The boy, who had been sitting on bed looking fearfully at the door before he came in, jumped out of bed and sat on the floor, his back to the wall, hugging his knees to his chest. Snape breathed deeply as he approached Harry and crouched down beside him, “Harry. I am sorry. Did I scare you?”

The boy looked up and shook his head, “I … I thought you were Uncle Vernon.”

Snape sighed, “No, little one, I promised you. Your Uncle would never come here.” Snape’s heart raced. Little one. He had just called Harry little one. It felt good. It felt suitable. And it felt true. Harry was a little one, his little one and no one, absolutely no one was ever going to take him away. Not Dumbledore, not Voldemort, not the boy’s relatives. No one.

“Come Harry.” He circled the boy’s shoulders with his arms and pushed him up. “There’s nothing to be afraid of here. No one will take you away. No one will hurt you.”

Harry let himself be led to the bed and crawled up on it. That man was nice. His voice was soothing and it seemed to calm him down and take away his fears. He believed him.

Poppy came in at that moment making Harry shrink himself. Poppy looked from Harry to Severus. Something was wrong there but she couldn’t really tell what it was. “Severus?”

“Yes Poppy, I know something is wrong. I suspect some type of mental de-aging. I needed your expertise,” Snape informed Poppy from his perch on the bed beside Harry. The boy almost tried to dig himself inside the man’s body as Poppy approached. She looked bewildered. Harry James Potter snuggling close to Severus Snape? Well that’s for later, now there were more important things. She took out her wand and ….

Harry shrieked and tried to bury himself further inside the man beside him chanting, I am sorry, I’ll be good, and don’t hit me again and again. Poppy looked shocked. The boy thought her wand a stick, something she was going to hit him with? Yes, she was a healer for Merlin’s sake, she had already recognized some signs of abuse on the boy before but she didn’t think it was to that extent. And now Severus was trying to calm the boy down, speaking into his hair and holding him tight. Never, in her entire life, had she expected to see the day when Severus Snape would openly show such emotions to someone, let alone that this someone was Harry bloody Potter, which was his special Snape induced nickname among the staff. That same Snape was now explaining to Harry gently and patiently that this was not a stick but a magic wand and that she was a very nice lady coming to make sure he’s alright. Poppy watched with a professional eye as Harry’s eyes widened childishly and he asked in a small voice, “Magic is real?”

Even without her wand, she knew where the problem was, but, finally satisfied that Harry was calm enough, she waved her wand a few times and stood quietly studying the Latin digits and numbers that kept appearing in green neon colour. After a couple of appearances, Harry couldn’t hold himself longer, he reached tentatively to catch the numbers but they vanished. He tried again and again to the amusement of the nice lady but they vanished every time. He pouted severely and crossed his arms.

And that was Poppy’s undoing. She burst out laughing, totally ignoring Snape’s death glare. The boy looked like a cute little 4 years old with his innocent face, big eyes, and his childish antics. Physically 14 or not, he was just adorable.

“See Harry,” she beamed, “nothing scary there and you’re such a good boy.”

Harry grinned at her. No one told him he was a good boy before. The man was right, she was a nice lady.

Poppy searched around in her pocket, got out a chocolate bar and held it to Harry whose eyes lit up as he saw it. After a second, his eyes went dull and he snuggled close to the man in black beside him.

Poppy and Severus exchanged looks. Severus softly said, “It’s for you, Harry. Take it.”

“Really? For me?”

Snape mentally cursed those muggles in every language he knew, “Of course Harry. Didn’t you hear what the lady said? You’re a good boy.”

Harry shyly took the chocolate bar from Poppy’s outstretched hand muttering his thanks. They both watched him unwrapping the chocolate very carefully as if unravelling a treasure. He never noticed when Poppy’s wand waved a sleeping spell over the chocolate.

Severus watched as Harry took a very small bite from the chocolate and sucked it closing his eyes and savouring the taste. If only he had known earlier, if only Dumbledore had checked on Harry before, if only … Dumbledore! The thought of Dumbledore made Snape’s fury ebb again. As long as he with Harry, he managed to calm himself, but now Harry was starting to doze off with the chocolate still in his hands. It was time for explanations, for paybacks. And Dumbledore had a lot to payback for.

“I’ll be waiting outside Severus.” Poppy left the room quietly leaving Severus tucking Harry in. She shook her head. Snape was tucking in Harry Potter. That boy – yes she meant Severus with the boy - had a lot of explanations to do. And this time, no amount of threats, scowls or glares were going to shut her up.

A few minutes later, Snape left Harry’s room, after making sure the boy was sleeping peacefully. Dumbledore was already filling her in briefly as to all what happened since Snape offered Harry a home for the summer and until that fateful morning. Granger was crying silent tears. Obviously the Headmaster’s account of the Dursleys was too much for the girl. Snape closed his eyes. Yet another thing to pay back for, Headmaster. How dare you spread-out Harry’s private matters in front of anyone like that?

But first things first. He led them all downstairs to the living room and as soon as they were there, he blurted, “Poppy, your opinion.”

Poppy, who was at the time glaring daggers at the Headmaster, reluctantly took her eyes off of him to look at Snape. She smiled, “Don’t worry Severus. Har … your son will be alright and back to normal in one or two days at the most.”

Snape’s relief was visible for all. Hermione closed her eyes, thanking God it was nothing serious. Dumbledore sat down suddenly on a chair and breathed deeply. Harry was going to be alright. Albus had spent the last five hours whipping himself mercilessly over what happened. If something had ever happened to the boy, it would have been his fault. A sin, to add to all his other sins. Albus looked up to see Snape looking directly at him, and their gazes locked for a second. For the first time in his life, Dumbledore felt despair. He had lost him. He knew it. Severus was now lost to him.

Snape snapped at Poppy, “Elaborate, woman. I am in no mood for playing patience games.”

Poppy frowned reproachfully at Severus but figured it wasn’t the time for scolding him. He seemed desperate. She took a deep breath and continued, “Harry was afraid all along that someday, this was going to end. He knew his happiness was temporary. He unconsciously worried himself to death about what would happen when school starts. With all what happened in the boy’s life, and specifically in the last two months, what with his godfather, discovering that his parents had friends that he didn’t know about, your … um paradigm shift, the Dursleys and finally being told to his face so cruelly that he was hated and on the other hand shown what love was for the first time in his life in your house. It was simply too much emotions to deal with. Today receiving the final shock of someone actually trying to logically discuss your separation, it caused a severe panic attack.”

Albus opened his mouth to say something but Poppy cut him off, “I know Albus that you weren’t trying to take him away, but with Harry’s already instable emotional status, talking about separation, even if it was just an idea, was as good as physically removing him from here. Add to a panic attack, a fully imbalanced emotional status, a calming draught, and an accelerated peaceful illusion potions, the result was Harry trying to find the most peaceful solution he could come up with. To become a child, a child in need of a guardian, hoping that this guardian would be you, Severus. And I wouldn’t be surprised if most of his daydreaming in the last few months were about his life as a little child with you as his guardian.”

Hermione spoke for the first time, with wide eyes and a hitching breath, “You mean to say Madam Pomfrey that Harry is now mentally a little child?” Severus was thankful that Poppy already informed them that Harry would be alright in a day or two or they would have been treating the Granger girl of a panic attack herself by now.

“Not exactly Miss Granger. He is physically 14 yes, but emotionally he is a little child, 4 years old to be exact. His emotions are now taking control of his memory and causing small mental gaps but no more. He would still be able to read and write as a 14 years old. His speech and language skills aren’t impaired. He could practically do anything a 14 years old boy can do, if and only if his emotions permit him to do it.”

“So Poppy, should I treat him like a 14 years old or a 4 …” Suddenly it made sense to him.

Flashback …

Harry scowled. He was starting to feel the sweet pre-sleeping trance and didn’t like being jerked out of it. He glared at his smirking Dad for sometime before suddenly sticking his tongue out at him.

Snape raised his eyebrows, “How old are you again Harry?”

Um 14 … going on 4?”

Precisely my thoughts.” Snape lightly slapped the back of Harry’s hand making Harry snigger, “Don’t do that again, Mr. 4 years old.”

Yes, Daddy.” Harry answered in a small voice.

Snape narrowed his eyes at the boy before stating, “Brat!”

Harry!”

end Flashback …

Snape smiled lightly at the memory. Harry was alright. He will be his old annoying and bratty self in one or two days. I swear, boy, when you’re old enough for it again, I’m going to give you a spanking you’ll never forget for scaring me like that. Snape almost laughed. Harry was alright.

Poppy was looking at him expectantly. “Its nothing Poppy. I just discovered why he chose to be 4 years old.”

“Ah. I see.” Poppy said, not really seeing at all. “To answer your question, I honestly don’t know Severus how you should treat him. I guess treat him as 4 when he acts like 4 and as 14 when he acts 14. As the hours go on, he will return to his old self before you know it. And guess what, Severus? You will have a great chance to embarrass him as much as you want. He will keep all his memories as he goes back to normal.”

Snape smirked. Yes! Serves the brat right. He was going to taunt him for months about it. That infuriating little brat, scaring him like that, blacking out and loosing his memories … Hermione was smiling. She is a good girl. Worthy of his son’s friendship. He needed her and the Weasley boy at his side, as annoying and … Oh no! Severus’ mind was off wandering again. What was happening to him? He was never like that before.

He cleared his throat and brought himself to the present, “Thank you, Poppy. Your help was priceless.”

“That’s alright Severus. You’re not the only one who loves that boy. I will leave now and will come check on him tomorrow. If you need anything, floo me and I will be here in a minute.”

With that Poppy left to Hogwarts hospital wing through the floo, leaving an awkward silence between the three remaining occupants of the room until Hermione cleared her throat, “Umm, I believe I will go up and .. er .. keep an eye on Harry while he sleeps.”

Snape nodded, “Thank you Miss Granger.”

…………………………

Snape sat down in an armchair and closed his eyes, trying to control his emotions. It wouldn’t do to start yelling at the Headmaster.

“Severus, …” Dumbledore started tentatively. He never thought his visit would have this reaction on Harry, nor on Severus. Yes, he knew they might be angry with him, might not be ready to listen to him, but not to this extent.

“Why?” Severus growled, eyes still closed and fists clenched to the sides of the chair, “Why pray tell, Headmaster, did you do that?”

“Severus, if you think I was coming here to take Harry away, you’re wrong. I would never do that to Harry, to you.”

Severus’ eyes snapped open. He gritted his teeth, “Don’t you dare tell me that you wouldn’t do that to me. Don’t you dare!

Dumbledore’s eyes widened, “What-”

“NO, Headmaster. I know you. You wouldn’t care if this had any effect on me. Your main concern was Harry, and don’t you deny it. You didn’t want him to get hurt when he suddenly discovers that I will no longer love him when school starts. But guess what Headmaster, you’re wrong. I love Harry. I wouldn’t have stopped loving him. I was going to come to you and beg to be released. I was going to kiss your feet to LET ME GO!”

Dumbledore paled, “Severus, please calm down child. How could you think-”

Snape jumped up, “NO. STOP IT. I told myself hundreds of times that you cared. I told myself that you have forgotten what I did. But no, you never did. Do you remember what you did when I told you that I invited Harry to spend the summer here? Do you remember? Well I do. How can I forget? The suspicion, the coldness, the mistrust. How could I forget that Minerva had to vouch for me? How could I forget that you threatened me?”

“I never threatened you, Severus. I just-”

“You threatened me Headmaster. My memory would never fail me in that. ‘After all Severus, it would be a great pity if you choose to loose your freedom in the summer voluntarily, only to loose a lot more afterwards.’ What did you mean Headmaster? That you were going to send me to Azkaban? That you were going to fire me? It would have had the same result if you haven’t noticed.”

“Severus, you understood it totally wrong. I was shocked that you asked Harry to spend the summer with you, yes, but I never meant to threaten you. I am sorry if that’s what you understood. I only meant that you-”

“I DON’T CARE WHAT YOU MEANT. Why did you come today, Headmaster?”

Dumbledore studied Severus with a serious expression before sighing, “I came to talk to you both about how it should be at the beginning of the year, and how … how Harry will find himself without a father again.”

Severus sat down and closed his eyes again, “I see.”

They sat in silence for a few moments until Snape spat out, “And it never occurred to you to ask me first if I agree to that? It never occurred to you that I might want something else? Of course not, since when did you care?”

Dumbledore’s heart clenched, “Severus, I always cared about you, and you know it.”

Severus raised a sarcastic eyebrow, “Really? Since when? Tell me Headmaster, how many times did you talk with me about anything except work or Harry? Twice? Three times? How many times did you come to the dungeons and have tea for something other than how I treat the boy? How many times did you meet me accidentally in the corridor only to nod and go on your way or just to remember that you have to berate me on how bad I treat Gryffindors? Yes, Headmaster, I, for a long time, tried to convince myself that you have changed. That you started to care about me although I am not one of your golden Gryffindors. But I discovered it, long ago. I am only a tool, I am important only because of that, because of my role, but nothing more. Even then, Headmaster, it was the only care I was ever given in my life since my mother and I felt the care was genuine, no matter the reason. That’s why you have become my mentor.”

Severus closed his eyes feeling his world chatter around him and whispered, “I looked up to you, as I would look up on a father, a father I only dreamed of.” Snape then glared at Dumbledore, “And you let me.”

Dumbledore put his head in his hands. He could barely believe what he was hearing. Yes, he didn’t take into consideration Harry’s violent reaction, yes, he should have talked to Severus first, but what happened surely didn’t warrant that reaction from Severus.

Snape took a deep breath and stood tall in his stance. With a deadly determination he declared, “You are now doing the same with Harry. Headmaster, I. am. Not. Going. To. Allow. That. And you’d better be prepared. I will not stand aside and watch you ruin his life.”

Dumbledore shook his head, “I would never ruin his life, never!”

With dead determination, Severus whispered, “You ruined my life, you are ruining his life, and you are ruining Draco’s life.”

Dumbledore gasped, “No Severus, that’s not true. I didn’t ruin Harry’s life and certainly not Malfoy’s.”

Snape glared viciously at Dumbledore, “Headmaster, pray tell me, how long have you known what Harry’s home had been really like? And if you have only known recently, why didn’t you check before? And since the time you have known, what did you do? One more question. Now that you know, and you had assumed today that everything between me and Harry is going to end by the school year, where are you planning to send him next summer? To his relatives again?”

Dumbledore opened his mouth to speak but Severus cut him off, “And what in hell’s name do you know about Draco? Why do you call him Malfoy? Yes, I remember headmaster, you used to call me Snape too, when Potter was always James and Black was always Sirius. So Headmaster, what do you know about Malfoy?”

Dumbledore closed his eyes, “I know he’s a good boy Severus.”

“Really? And how do you know, Headmaster? From what I tell you? Do you know how many times I had to heal Draco from bruises and welts that he wanted no one to see? Do you know how many times I had to magically restrain Lucius to keep him away from Draco? Do you know how many times Draco spent his night twitching and bleeding in my arms, crying himself to sleep and too scared to let me heal him? Do you have any idea who Vincent and Gregory are? Do you know anything about their home life? Do you have any idea why they follow Draco blindly? Do you HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT HARRY HAD WENT THROUGH?”

Dumbledore almost pleaded, “I am only human Severus, I can’t do everything for everybody.”

Severus saw red, “If you are only human, Dumbledore, then BLODDY ACT LIKE IT. And Harry is NOT EVERYBODY. That’s your lesson. You taught me he’s different. You taught me he’s more important than everybody. You taught me that he is above everybody, yet you are now denying him the only thing you have given him. And you are denying me the only thing that I had ever taken from life.”

Dumbledore had backed to the wall, painfully aware of the anguish and bitterness that was tearing Severus heart. Years upon years of emotions bottled up, years upon years of bitterness, loneliness, torture, and anguish. Suddenly, it all came out. Severus was now breathing hard, face flushed, and fists clenched.

They stood in silence for a few moments until Severus collapsed on a chair. He rested his head on the back of the chair and closed his eyes.

Dumbledore moved slowly towards him and touched his hair lightly, “My child. You have never forgiven me!” Dumbledore’s hand stopped dead holding Severus locks between the fingers when Snape’s ice-cold and dead voice whispered, “Out!”

Dumbledore froze. “W-What?”

Eyes still closed, Severus said in the same voice, “Get. Out. of. My. House. And don’t ever come here again!”

Albus’ heart crushed. He didn’t know what to do. His eyes fell on Hermione who was standing at the top of the stairs wide eyed and almost trembling. He looked at Hermione with a silent plea to take care of Severus. Their gazes locked and Dumbledore knew that she understood. He apparated away.

………………………………….

Hermione stood for a long time at the top of the stairs not daring to move. She couldn’t believe her ears when she heard the first part of the conversation. She didn’t mean to, but Harry was whimpering in his sleep and she came to ask if there was anything she could do for him. When she came out the conversation was just escalating, and she didn’t know what to do. She froze in mid step and listened as if in a trance to what was being said. God! She could have never believed that Snape had all that grief inside him. That was a man who had only tasted bitterness in his life. And Harry, oh God Harry. How could they be so blind, and they called themselves his friends. What she heard from Dumbledore earlier was appalling. And Draco. What was happening? How could everyone be so blind? How could people suffer that much without talking?

Then she heard it, clearly and distinctly, although the Potions Master was whispering. He told the Headmaster to get out of his house. She had never thought that anyone could do that, that Snape could do that. And now the Headmaster had left with a crushed heart, leaving both Snape and Harry in her young hands, and both were hurting.

“Miss Granger?”

Hermione jumped. She then composed herself quickly, “Yes Sir?”

“How is Harry?” Snape asked softly.

“He’s alright … I think. But he was whimpering and I er came to ask if there was something I can do for him.” Hermione blushed scarlet as she suddenly discovered that she had been listening to a private conversation, a very private one. “I am sorry.”

Snape studied her for a moment as he climbed up the stairs. “That’s alright Miss Granger. It’s late now and I believe you should have been at home for quite some time already.”

“That’s alright, Sir. My parents will understand I am sure, and um ...” She shouldn’t leave them, she should stay and take care of Harry, and Professor Snape.

“Yes, Miss Granger?”

“Can I … I mean if that’s alright Sir, can I spend the night here? I can sleep on the chair in Harry’s room and make sure he’s alright. You need your rest too Professor, I will stay up.”

Severus looked intently at her making her fidget a bit. “How much did you hear Miss Granger?”

Hermione blushed, “Almost all Sir.”

“I see”

“Professor, I am really sorry, I didn’t mean to pry.”

Snape nodded. “I believe I can rely on your discretion?”

“Yes Sir.”

“Alright, then. Call your parents and if they agree, I will make sure a room is ready for you.”

“Sir, thank you, but really no need to make any arrangements. I just want to take care of Harry, and-”

“Miss Granger, my son’s best friend won’t spend the night on a chair in my house.”

Hermione smiled weekly, “Thank you Sir.”

……………………

Half an hour later, Hermione was settled in the room opposite Harry’s, wearing one of Harry’s flannel pyjamas and reading a book. She couldn’t settle down. She paced the room a few times before slipping out of the room to check on Harry. She knew that she might find Professor Snape still awake, actually she was sure he was still awake after all what happened that day, but she wanted to check on Harry. If she was honest, she would have admitted to herself that she wanted to check on Snape as well and make sure he was alright. She quietly opened Harry’s door and froze, her eyes almost bulged out.

Professor Snape was sitting cross legged on Harry’s purple bed, with a fully awake, physically 14 years old, Harry settled on his lap. Harry was holding a few coloured crayons in his left hand and a colouring book in his lap, and with his right hand colouring with concentration, the tip of his tongue sticking out at the corner of his lips. Snape was smiling, a real genuine smile the likes of which Hermione had never seen in her life. Snape looked up and saw Hermione standing at the door, his smile broadened as he looked down from Harry to her, just like a proud father would when showing off his little child’s colouring skills. Hermione smiled back and moved closer.

Harry suddenly looked up and Hermione took one step back. She didn’t know if Harry was going to be afraid of her too like he was afraid of Madam Pomfrey. But Harry’s face lit up and he called out, “Mionneeee. See what Daddy got me!”

Snape raised an eyebrow while Hermione sputtered. Smiling or not, Snape being called a Daddy didn’t really fit at all. “Er … yeah, very nice Harry.” She looked helplessly at Snape who was glaring daggers her way. Humph, as if it was her fault that Harry just called him Daddy. Then it clicked, “Sir, he remembered,” she blurted.

Snape curled his lips, “Obviously!”

Hermione fought the urge to roll her eyes at his stoicism. Honestly!

It was then that Harry’s stomach growled loudly reminding all of them that they had no meals all day long. Snape chuckled, “Someone seems to be hungry!”

Harry nodded enthusiastically as he jumped out of bed and pulled Severus by the arm, “Come Daddy, I’m hungryyy”, he whined making Hermione dissolve in giggles.

………………………..

Dinner quickly disappeared without incident. At the beginning, Harry was a little doubtful that he would be allowed food but then ate heartily after his Daddy reassured him that he could eat as much he wanted.

Through the meal, glimpses of the old Harry started to appear making him feel a bit confused. As soon as they finished, Harry jumped from the chair and took hold of the coffee jug and filled it with water. Then stopped and looked bewildered at what he was doing for a few moments. Both Snape and Hermione preferred not to interfere until Harry put the jug on the table with a trembling hand. He seemed genuinely scared that he might break it. Snape softly thanked Harry for his help and proceeded with making coffee and boiling the water for tea as if nothing had happened.

………………………

Sometime later, under the threat of death by whining, Snape found himself imprisoned in his study, watching an extremely energetic Harry and a specifically amused Granger. Harry was playing with the card catalogue holding up cards and catching books in the air as if they were snitches. The boy’s face was flushed with excitement as he jumped up and down and giggled stupidly whenever he caught a book in the air. Snape’s stomach curled every time a book flew out of the shelves. He was afraid that one of the books would hit Harry squarely on the head. Whenever a book found its way back safely to the shelves, Severus swore under his breath to inflict all kinds of tortures on the boy. And that Granger girl, she was so amused. Great, now his glares weren’t working with the girl as well.

Still, Severus’ patience had its limits and his temper started to rise with all the squealing and giggling and jumping.

“Harry. That’s enough now. I think it’s time for a quick bath and bed.”

“No. I want to play.”

Severus closed his eyes. This was going to be difficult. “Harry, you have played a lot today. You need some rest.”

Harry frowned, “But I am not tired!” He whined.

The whining tone that Harry was using for the past few hours was getting to Snape’s nerves so quickly that he was ready to explode. And the boy really needed to calm down and get a good rest after all the day’s happenings.

He tried to stay calm. “If you don’t want to sleep then maybe read something in bed then. You can play tomorrow.”

Harry stomped his foot, “NO!”

Snape glared at Harry. Oops, not a good sign. Hermione tried to reason with Harry before things escalated to a nasty level. “Um, Harry. Why don’t you colour for sometime? You colour so nicely.”

Harry grinned, “Really?”

“Of course. Now let’s go upstairs and you can colour some more in your room, ok?”

Harry’s face lit up a bit but then he seemed to discover that he was being deceived. He crossed his arms and firmly repeated, “NO! I want to play. Let’s go out.”

“Out? Harry we can’t-”

Snape was having none of that. He growled, “Harry, bed! Now!

“NO!” Harry ran out of the study and to the front door. Both Severus and Hermione rushed after him. Hermione was bewildered. She never thought Harry could be such a brat. Oh well, that wasn’t the Harry she knew. But this one seemed so cute and adorable … well, and a handful. And in trouble. Snape had caught Harry’s by the arm as he opened the door as was running out in the garden. He pulled him inside and closed the door. The look on Snape’s face was murderous. Oh no. He was definitely going to kill Harry.

Harry was stubborn. He didn’t care that the man he called Daddy was angry, he didn’t care that he seemed to be in trouble. He stubbornly stomped his foot, trying to pull his arm free and yelled, “LEMME GO! I want to go ouuutt!”

Snape growled trying as much as possible not to yell and bring out the Vernon trauma in the boy, “Whatever had gotten into you, boy? You don’t run out of the house like that and I don’t care what you want. You will go to your room this instant and stay there. And you will listen to what Daddy says. Is that clear?”

Hermione raised an eyebrow. What Daddy says? Well that was interesting.

“Nooooo, lemmmmeee goooo!” Harry whined.

Hermione couldn’t believe her ears. Whatever really had gotten into Harry?

Snape calmly turned Harry around and landed two sharp smacks on his bottom. Hermione gasped. Harry yelped and immediately tears rolled down his cheeks. “Now you will listen. Come with me.”

Hermione tried to interfere, “Sir, please-”

“Miss Granger. Kindly keep out of this.” He pulled the now sniffing Harry by the arm up to his room. She didn’t want Harry to get more punishment, and definitely not to get spanked. He was four for Merlin’s sake. But she didn’t know what to do. She couldn’t stop Snape, and she couldn’t possibly follow them and witness Harry getting punished. She sat in the hall chewing her bottom lip and waiting.

…………….

In Harry’s room, Snape quietly sat on Harry’s bed and stood the boy in front of him. Harry was rubbing his eyes with his fist like the little child he now was. Snape’s face softened. The boy was so helpless and he only wanted to take him in his arms and comfort him. But that’s for later. Harry had to know that he would always be there for him, that he was going to guide him and comfort him, and yes, even punish him when necessary.

He spoke softly, “Harry? Can you tell me what you did wrong?

Harry sniffed, “I … I wanted to go out?”

“No, that’s not it. Try again.”

Harry frowned seriously, “I didn’t listen to you?”

“Yes, that’s right. I told you more than once that you should stop playing and go to bed, didn’t I?”

Harry nodded.

“You also yelled at me, Harry. You shouldn’t yell at me like that.”

Harry nodded again.

“You ran out to the door and was going to leave the house without permission, alone and at night. That was very very bad Harry. Do you understand?”

Harry looked down. He was a bad boy, so bad. And now, his nice Daddy would send him away to Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia. His eyes filled with tears. He didn’t want to go away, he wanted to stay with this nice Daddy.

“Harry, look at me.”

Harry looked at Snape and said pleadingly, “I am sorry. I will always listen to you. I promise. I’ll never leave the house. Don’t send me away. I don’t want to go to Uncle Vernon, please.”

Snape’s heart went out to the boy. “Harry, I would never send you away, and certainly not to your uncle. But you have to be punished for what you did. Come.”

Snape gently guided Harry over his lap. Snape hated himself for doing it to a now 4 years old, but he had to remind himself that this was Harry needed, what Harry wanted. Harry was only trying to test his boundaries and Snape would make sure to let him know that he had boundaries and that he would always be there to take care of him.

Harry, discovering how much trouble he was in, started to struggle frantically, “Nooo, Daddy no, I am sorrrry” He whined.

Snape held him easily over his lap and landed the first smack squarely on the boy’s bottom. “Stay still Harry or it will be worse.”

Harry froze. He wasn’t scared and this confused him. His experience with Uncle Vernon’s beatings was always painful. He should be scared, but he wasn’t.

Another smack fell down on his bottom. It stung and Harry’s eyes watered. Two more smacks and Harry began squirming and sniffing loudly.

“You won’t do that again, Harry?” Two more smacks.

“I won’t, I won’t” Harry promised wailing.

Smack! Smack! “Good, because I would hate to have to spank you again.”

“No. No more (sob) span-king”

…………………………

Hermione was pacing and pacing, worrying her bottom lip and wringing her hands. What could possibly be taking all that time? Professor Snape was spanking him. She was sure. But that’s taking too long. She sat down on a chair only to jump up again and start pacing. Then she could wait no more. She ran up the stairs and stood at the door of Harry’s room listening. There were no sounds coming out, until, a cold and stern voice called, “Miss Granger. Do come in. It’s not polite to lurk outside doors like that.”

A few seconds later, a rather scarlet faced Hermione emerged inside the room. For the second time today, she froze. Snape was sitting on Harry’s bed with Harry cradled in his arms and burying his head in Snape’s chest. And Snape was …. rocking Harry who was sniffing away.

A moment later, Harry whispered, “That sniff hurt!”

Snape smiled lightly, “As it should little one. Miss Granger, do close your mouth if you please.”

Harry looked up at Hermione standing there watching at them in bewilderment. He pouted and seriously informed her, “Daddy spanked me.”

“Oh!” was all what Hermione found she was capable of saying.

………………………

Ten minutes later, Snape was talking quietly with Hermione about Harry’s little show downstairs while Harry was taking a bath, alone. Harry had insisted, much to Snape’s relief, that he could bathe himself, and Snape let him immediately with no further argument. After all he was really 14.

Harry came in after a few moments later dressed in his pyjamas with a towel wrapped around his head. Snape smiled while Hermione rescued Harry away from the towel. Harry jumped in bed and snuggled under the covers. Hermione thought it was time to bid them good night and retire to bed as well. Harry waved to her cutely when she left.

Severus sat beside Harry studying him intently. He hoped Poppy was there to examine the boy and reassure him that Harry was alright. Harry blinked at Snape before whispering softly, “I love you Daddy.”

Snape closed his eyes. He heard it. He was sure he heard it. Harry just told him he loved him, didn’t he? Didn’t he? Snape felt his eyes burning. It had been decades since his eyes burned like that. He suddenly grabbed Harry by the shoulders and pulled him into a fierce hug making him squeak in protest. He spoke in Harry’s hair, “You have no idea how much I love you my child.”

Harry was really happy that his nice Daddy loved him. Really! But his Daddy was squishing him badly. He whined, “Dadddyy, Owiie.”

Snape laughed and released him. “Sorry,” he said, not really feeling sorry at all. He helped Harry back under the covers where he immediately put his arm under the pillow and made himself comfortable like the old Harry used to do.

A few moments later, Harry was almost asleep with Snape stroking his hair and watching him contently.

Just as Snape stood up to go to his room, Harry opened his eyes and quipped, “Daddy? When I was taking the bath, I found my thing looking so big. Is that bad?”

“Er ...!”