Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Yeah, sorry I haven't updated in forever and a day. Also sorry that this chapter is so short, but hey, better late than never, right?
Chapter 11

Harry awoke with a start. He looked out the window, but all he could tell was that it was still dark. Glancing at the bed next to him, he figured it must be somewhat early, as Ron had obviously not slept in it yet. He grabbed his wand and cast a quick spell to find out the time. Ghostly numbers appeared in the air. "Eleven-twenty-five," he said aloud to no one in particular.

He swung his legs out of the bed and padded softly down the stairs in search of his friend.

"Mum! You can't just kick him out!" Ron's voice came from the kitchen.

"Shush!" Mrs. Weasley admonished. "You don't want to wake him."

Harry stopped outside the door.

"Molly, dear..."

"No. I love the boy dearly, don't accuse me of not, but I do think he needs to think about where he is going to live. Ron, we simply cannot afford to keep him here."

"Mum, I know..."

"Just talk to him. See what his plans are."

"Molly, dear, I do think you are being rather unreasonable. He is just a boy." Mr. Weasley's voice was weary.

"He's a boy who has far more than we do."

"He doesn't have a family!" Ron defended.

"And we don't have the finances!" Mrs. Weasley returned in kind. "With Hogwarts closed this year, we cannot afford to keep your sister and you and half your friends."

"Mum, it's not fair. How am I supposed to tell him he's not welcome here anymore? We've always told him he could come here. It's just not fair."

"It's about time you, and he, learned that life isn't spelled f-a-i-r."

"Because Harry, of all people, doesn't know that already."

"We've raised our children. We love you all. And your friends. But raising you has taxed us, financially and physically. I will never turn you, your sister, or your brothers away. But Harry simply cannot stay here forever. I'm not saying he has to leave tomorrow, but I would like a timeline from him. I don't believe that is asking too much!"

Harry heard something slam onto the table. "FINE!" Ron yelled.

"Now, Ron, calm down," Mr. Weasley said.

"No! I'm not going to calm down. What you're asking isn't fair!"

"Is it fair to ask us to just take in every stray orphan you come across? We aren't made of money."

Ron didn't respond, but Harry heard a sigh.

"Ronald, I didn't mean that..."

"No, Mum. I understand. I'm going to bed."

Harry ran back up the stairs until he reached the room he shared with Ron. He buried himself under the covers, turned away from the door and pretended to be asleep. Ron came in and muttered a soft, "I'm sorry, Harry, I tried," before climbing into his own bed.

Harry didn't fall asleep for quite awhile after that, even though he had to see Snape in the morning.


He sat at the table at breakfast, and Mrs. Weasley dished some eggs onto his plate. He thanked her, and she asked about what he had planned for this day.

"I'm training again. That's my schedule for at least the summer, Monday, Wednesday and Friday I'll be training one-on-one. Tuesday and Thursday we'll all go to Hogwarts."

Ron rubbed his eyes and started in on his own food.

"You know, Mrs. Weasley, I really appreciate you taking me in like this. But I was thinking, it really isn't polite of me to be putting you out. I have my own house, Grimmauld Place, and I do know how to take care of myself; at least, I know how to cook. Maybe this weekend I could move over there."

Mrs. Weasley gave Ron a questioning glance; he shrugged in response.

Ginny spoke up, "Harry, you don't have to go back there; we're happy to keep you here."

"No, really, I feel bad living off you like this. I have a house, seems a shame to waste it. I even have Kreacher to help me. I mean, the place is bound to be a mess, no one's been there for a year, right?"

Mrs. Weasley smiled. "Of course, dear. I can understand you not wanting to be around us anymore. We're a big group, and a boy your age is bound to want more privacy than can be given here. If you would like any help getting settled, we'll be happy to."

Harry forced a smile. "Thank you, Mrs. Weasley." He shoveled the last forkful of food into his mouth. "I'd better get going."

He dashed out of the room. It really would be better this way. He didn't want to cause any tension between Ron and his family. And Mrs. Weasley was right. It'd be nice to have some privacy. At least, he thought it would, he'd never had it before.

He grabbed a handful of Floo powder. "Morayshire Manor," he said, and he headed to his meeting with Snape.