Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: Harry Potter and Co. are not mine, I only borrow them for a while.

Author’s note: To avoid confusion this chapter starts after they arrive from OoTP.

Some people have been asking not to make this an HP/HG romance in their reviews. I can only say that if the story progresses towards a full blown romance I’ll write it as it is actually the first of the three romantic partners that I like for Harry. Severus is the second (I like slash stories. Read All I Crave is a Normal Life by cazgirl or Blood by Artemis Diana Luna the links are in my favorites.), and the third would be an OFC -other fictional character. I’m not fond of Mary Sues, but I still prefer to create a whole new character not based on me for Harry. For those wondering, that is what a Mary Sue is; you insert yourself in the story with as many incredible qualities as you can.

I know some people favor HP/GW and I respect that. But I HATE!!!!! Ginny with a passion. Don’t ask why I just do. It gets to the point that I even avoid reading any story that has even a hint of this pairing (only an exceptionally good plot would make me keep reading the story). So this is a couple you’ll never see me writing in any of the stories I already have posted or any new ones that I write. I think I killed her in more than a couple of the plot bunnies I have pending just so I wouldn’t have to deal with writing her.

And the last is I have created a community to display my favorites, you’ll find the link in my profile. The only bad thing so far of these community thing ff.net is experimenting with is that it won’t accept R rated stories. Probably some of the best fanfiction I’ve read is rated R, and not all is necessarily slash or sex related. Check my profile for some of those, if this community thing works, I’ll leave my favorites for R rated stories and the C2 group for all the others.

HE'S WHAT?

By unspoken accord Harry and Hermione stirred away from dangerous topics and only talked about school and the DA while they finished dinner. Before going up to the suite, Harry went to his relative’s booth and after casting another quick silencing charm, he summarized Hermione’s plight. The boy asked them to put on an act and pretend they knew her. Like their families had been close, just in case someone recognized her and was watching.

Petunia was a bit unsure about it, but a look at her nephew’s set features told her that he would not take no for an answer, and that the young lady on the other booth was very important to him. She ventured to ask if she was his girlfriend, to which he curtly responded that no, she was not, but she was his dearest friend. He also warned Dudley not to bother her or he would have to deal with him.

After that small talk they went up to the room. The group had done their best to be discrete, while still putting an act. The suite was on the third floor of the inn, and once inside it was clear that it was ample and one of the best they had at the Leaky Cauldron. Each separate bedroom had its own bathroom. The common area was very comfortable with nice plush chairs and a couch; they had a dinning table that would sit six. It also included a fireplace connected to the floo network and a nice stand for owls.

With the room came a house-elf. Turan was assigned to tend to their needs, from food to simple laundry or cleaning. This had impressed Harry a lot; he did not want to bother with cleaning, even though Hermione was not too happy to have a house-elf serving them. She knew she could not free him, and he did look well cared for, so she refrained from mentioning S.P.E.W.

The Dursleys really did not know what to make of the strange creature or the rooms that were really too ‘big’. They probably took the whole floor and more, and yet they noticed there were at least five other doors there. Petunia suspected they were similar to the room they were in. Before they said anything, Harry set several wards and silencing charms on the whole suite, using his mother’s list and adding a few he had learned the term before. All in all, it would be very hard to access the room if not invited in. Hermione again noticed that her friend’s magical power seemed to have increased in just one day.

Petunia sighed at what was clearly magic and knew she should get used to it, as she was sure it would become part of her life from that moment on. She handed Harry the shrunken luggage and Dudley’s computers so he could return them to normal size. He only returned the luggage, explaining that he did not know how long they were going to stay at the Leaky Cauldron. It would probably depend on what they talked with the goblin at Gringotts in the morning. Dudley looked for a moment like he would object and whine as was his custom, but he ended agreeing with Harry. Once their luggage was enlarged each of them took the time to drag them to the room of their choosing, with the exception of Hermione. The house-elf had already chosen a room for her, and even took care of unpacking some of the basic necessities and clothes. He would do the same for the others.

“I’m going to go to bed Ha… Duncan,” Petunia corrected herself shaking her head. It should not be hard to call him by this name as she had barely ever used his other name before. “I… apologize, but it’s going to take a while to get used to the new name.” Harry just nodded unsure of how to react at hearing her apologize to him again.

“Before you go to sleep Aunt Petunia, Mum suggested in her letter that you take another potion. It’s called Dreamless sleep, and it does exactly as its name says,” Duncan informed her. There was no animosity in his voice, but neither was there any warmth.

“Ah yes, Lils mentioned it. I wouldn’t mind a restful night,” she commented and waited while Harry called the house-elf and politely asked for a pitcher of apple juice, he was not sure his relatives would appreciate pumpkin juice just yet. His request promptly appeared on the table; he expanded the chest and took out the potion box.

“Drink it once you’re already in bed. It acts very quickly and lasts about eight hours,” he instructed his aunt as he prepared both hers and Dudley’s doses. “You too should drink this Big D; we all had a hard day.”

“I’ll like to watch the TV for a while before going to sleep,” the big boy informed his cousin.

Hermione could not help a giggle; the boy was going to be disappointed when he found out the wizarding world did not even know what a TV was. Her friend’s cousin eyed her like she was barmy; he did not know what could be funny of wanting to watch the TV. Perhaps she did not know what the TV was. Before he could ask, his mother went to her room after saying quiet thanks and bid everyone goodnight. They all nodded in response.

“There’s no TV Dudley. The Wizarding world doesn’t have something like that, and by the way before you say anything, Hermione’s parents are muggles. They are people like aunt Petunia, with no magic. So she does know what a television is.”

“They don’t? I’m going to miss my favourite program! I have to know what Inspector Lindley is going to do; it was a two part episode.” Now he would probably never know who the killer was. With a barely resigned sigh he asked. “So what do they do to pass the time if there is no TV?”

“We read,” Hermione, informed him helpfully and Dudley groaned. He HATED reading unless it was computer related and even then he rarely used the manuals.

“Boring! Don’t tell me you read Fre… Duncan?” He corrected himself. It was not that he wanted to be harsh like before. He had just known his cousin as ‘freak’ for his entire life. He only called him Harry when they were… hunting him, something he was NEVER going to do again. He had been such a bastard, but he knew better now. “Sorry, not meant to offend, it’s just… too many years.” He shrugged apologetically. Harry eyed him for a moment before he responded.

“None taken; and yes, it was too many years Dudley. To answer your questions, I do read, and enjoy it very much.”

“You do?” Hermione asked looking surprised.

“Yes I do, not as much as you do though.” He stated firmly.

“Well if you count Quidditch books I guess that you do,” She had to admit that he read a lot more than Ron did, especially when said friend was not around to complain about it. Harry gave her a pointed look. She also knew that not all of the books he read were Quidditch related, but she liked to tease him about it anyway.

“’Mione, I don’t read only Quidditch books! Anyway Big D, we also play chess, exploding snap or gobstones when there are more people. I might teach you how to play.” He shrugged at that, not really sure he would enjoy playing with him. Dudley had always been a sore looser; which usually lead to Harry ending even feeling another kind of sore if he won. “Sometimes we just talk. You better get used to it now that you know you’re a wizard.” At these last words Hermione sputtered, and eyed Harry for confirmation and an explanation. His face told her she would get one, but not just then.

“I’m doomed!” Dudley exclaimed horrified.

Harry took pity of the big boy; he just did not know what was wrong with him. As angry as he had been most of last term, and hating the Dursleys as he thought he did, he was just being… too-nice-to-them. With a mental shrug and a sigh, he went to his room and rummaged inside his trunk for ‘Quidditch Through the Ages’ and a couple of old issues of ‘Quidditch Monthly’. They had moving pictures and Harry was sure Dudley would find them interesting; he had liked football (called Soccer in the USA) after all, even if he was too fat to play. The youth returned and handed them to his cousin.

“Here read these; just be careful with them as I want them back. If you like it we’ll see tomorrow about getting you more books and other things. Quidditch is a great sport, and if you liked football you’re probably going to like it too, at least that’s what Dean -one of my roommates at school- says. The book and magazines have moving pictures; you’re probably going to like that too, it’s like those 3D thingies I heard you talking about before I left last year. I… used to play seeker for my house team.”

He could not help but feel his throat close knowing that because of Umbridge he would not be able to play again. It was then that he realized that he still might. It was Harry Potter who was banned, not Duncan Evans. There was a large possibility that he might be able to fly and play quidditch again. He loved flying and this actually made him happy; he could not help the joyful smile that appeared on his face. Hermione noticed but at her inquiring look he just shook his head.

Dudley opened the book at a random page that just happened to have Harry on it. It spoke about the youngest seeker in the last 100 years at Hogwarts and gave statistics and comparisons of his performance. He was ranked first among the amateur seekers even after being banned for life from the sport; this book was one of the self updating ones. It also said there had been many disappointed professional teams. Harry would have been their first choice in recruiting once he finished school.

“Wow! You’re in a book! And it says you’re very good… I didn’t know you played any sports,” Dudley exclaimed and he actually sounded proud that his cousin was doing well in a sport. Harry found this disconcerting.

“You never asked,” Harry replied curtly. “You didn’t even know I was in our primary school’s gymnastic team. So why bother informing the family I made it to another team?” There was a strained silence before Dudley spoke again.

“I did know about the gymnastic team, you were good too, and I’m really sorry Mum did not allow you to compete like the coach wanted. I’m sure you would have done well,” he said looking contrite. Hermione’s eyebrows were almost to her hairline. That was something she did not know about Harry, but it explained why he was so agile and nimble at times. “I just… I was a bastard then.”

“Just then?” Harry asked raising an eyebrow. “What happened to after I went to Hogwarts, and what about now?”

“I was then Harry, and now I’m trying not to be anymore. Look… I’m… umm… I’m sorry about the way I was. I have no excuse…” he began trying to apologize and convey the fact that he had changed and was still changing. Dudley now saw the error of his ways, and how wrong his father’s views were. Mr. Bailey had helped him learn to make his own decisions.

“No you don’t have one,” Harry interrupted coldly.

“Except maybe that… that I believed it was all right. Dad always said it was. When you’re little, you believe what your parents tell you.” He looked beseechingly at his cousin, hoping to make him understand. “Dad was wrong though, I know that now. Mr. Bailey, my school’s counselor,” the boy explained at his Harry’s puzzled expression. “Made me see that a lot of things I… umm… grew up believing were normal and right, really weren’t. It was really a big coincidence, but he knew about magic, so I could really speak about everything with him. I know now we’re not really related, but well… I… I… still consider you my cousin. Don’t know if you’ll ever want to… be friends but… I’ll like to… umm try?” He looked sincere and hopeful.

“I don’t know Dudley,” Harry spoke after another long silence, rubbing the bridge of his nose just under the glasses. He had not expected Dudley, the biggest bully he knew, to apologize and want to be his friend. He also was not quite sure what to do now that he had received apologies from two of the people that made his childhood hell. He had fantasized about it sometimes, but as with most of his dreams, he had never believed it was possible. “I really don’t know, Mum said that I… I should forgive you but… I… I don’t know if I want to, much less if I actually can. I need to think about it.”

“I understand Harry. I really was a bloody bastard. I’ve been trying not to be for a while… ever since I got to see the other side of the coin at Smeltings the last three terms…”

“Someone bullied YOU? I really find it hard to believe it Dudley.” Harry was clearly skeptical; he just could not conceive the idea that someone would dare go against the huge boy.

“I never thought it could happen to me either. But… these guys were really though and in much better shape than I am. They were transferred from another school that would not put up with the way they treated the other kids. Their parents are really rich and some type of politicians so they believed they could do what they wanted with anybody and get away with it. They actually did until their old school refused to take them back last autumn. At first I was angry you know? Then after one of their… hunts that sent me to the infirmary for a few days with a broken arm, I… I had time to think and realize that I had been no better to you and other kids than they were to me. If you ever believed in the saying ‘what goes around comes around’, then you should know that happened to me. I really am sorry Duncan, more than you can think, and I hope that you can at least give me a chance to prove that I’m doing my best to change… Anyway thanks for loaning me the books, I’ll be careful.” With that he picked the glass with the potion and waddled into the room he had dragged his stuff in as soon as Harry had expanded it back to its original size.

“That was…” Harry began looking a bit overwhelmed.

“Interesting to say the least,” Hermione finished for him. “Aren’t you going to remove the glamorie now? It’s only us, and they already knew you.” She saw her best friend cringe and look anywhere but her, until he finally spoke with a resigned tone of voice.

“That’s what I did ‘Mione,” he risked a look at her face and she looked puzzled. “This is how I should have grown up looking like, the… the Harry Potter you saw before was the glamorie.”

“What? But you… you don’t look like James Potter at all! And he’s your father. Actually you resemble Professor Snape rather strongly…” Harry interrupted her. He really did resemble his father enough for people to notice they were related.

“Before I tell you what happened I think you should have three drops of this,” he said taking out the ‘pearly’ potion. “It’s a calming potion, my… Mum had it designed so it really has no name. I’m on it; otherwise I’d have probably had some kind of mental breakdown by now.”

“You were acting way too calm to be true, but I thought it might be because of… well what happened…” she let the implication on the air, not wanting to mention Sirius and get her friend depressed. At that moment a black and copper owl winged inside the room through one of the open windows.

“Hedwig, you found me, good girl.” She hooted indignantly, and he petted her once she settled on his shoulder. “Ready to deliver some letters for me?”

“That’s Hedwig?” The young witch was surprised to the stunning looking owl.

“Yeah, I changed her colour so she would not be associated with Harry Potter. She looks quite impressive don’t you think?” At his words the ex-snowy owl preened for Hermione.

“She does. She was beautiful before but now, well now she looks stunning.”

Hedwig hooted in gracious thanks and nibbled through her familiar’s hair, before jumping to the table before her master. Harry took the letters from the chest; Dumbledore’s, Lupin’s and the goblin’s were not very thick unlike the one for his… father. It was more a small package than a letter. For a moment, he was tempted not to send it, but his Mum had been clear in the letter, even if he was not happy with it, he really had no right to keep the truth from Snape. The man had treated him badly, and on all accounts seemed to hate him as much as he had hated James Potter. But Snape had not known he hated his own son, and that Harry really was not related to his arch-nemesis at all, perhaps the older wizard would have behaved differently if he had. He certainly could not accuse him of being just like his father anymore, unless he was referring to himself, and well Snape indeed WAS an arrogant git.

“Can you carry all four?” He asked his owl thoughtfully not really sure he wanted to send Remus’ letter with the others. He was after all staying at Headquarters, it was closer, and he wanted to have Hedwig deliver the other three first. She hooted in affirmative nodding for emphasis. “Ok, then deliver this one first. It’s for a goblin named Cavedweller at Gringotts. Then this thick one to Professor Snape…” Hedwig hooted and looked at him with an expression that clearly read ‘have you gone barmy?’ He shook his head and smiled ruefully, even his owl knew to keep away from Snape. “Yes, I know it sounds crazy, but just do as a say and deliver this to him.” He tied the letter to her leg. “This other goes to the Headmaster… I think the letter to Moony can wait until you’re back and rested since as far as I know, he’s staying in London at Grimmauld’s place. Don’t stay for responses girl and have a safe flight.” She hooted once again, nibbled his fingers affectionately and took off.

“What are those letters for?” Hermione inquired, she had taken the three drops of the potion and had to admit that she felt better. The problem with her parents, and finding herself stranded at the Leaky Cauldron with no money had left her more stressed than she had originally believed.

“I’m not completely sure, they are from my mother. Aunt Petunia got several when the chest first opened.” He pointed to the antique chest that was on the table. “I got a long one and a journal that sounds like it’s similar to Tom Riddle’s…”

“You did not finish explaining about your appearance Harry,” she reminded him, knowing that he was stalling the explanation, and wondering why. “I’ve taken the potion now, and I was saying that you look a lot like professor Snape.”

“Well… perhaps it is because I just found out he is actually my father…”

“HE’S WHAT?”

“He is my biological father, and Mum was not able to tell him, or anyone else for that matter, that I am his son. There was this… fidelity clause in her marriage contract that kept her from telling anyone. She wanted to though, she… she loved the ‘greasy git’ and… it seems he… if not in love with her, at least he cared a lot for her. Since she could not tell anyone, Snape is certain that I’m James child. I suspect the letter to him has an explanation from my Mum, a very long explanation if the size of it is any indication.”

“But HOW? How did that happen?”

“How do you think?” He asked back raising an elegant eyebrow. He teased her to release some of the tension he felt. “I don’t think I have to explain the birds and the bees to you of all people ‘Mione.” She blushed ten shades of red, and he smiled.

“That’s not what I meant Harold James Potter…” He interrupted her.

“Wrong name ‘Mione, I’m actually Duncan Harold Evans. That’s what she named me, and depending on what the ‘greasy git’ decides I might add Snape to it. It seems my grandmother and Snape liked the name Duncan. Don’t know how my Mum managed to register me with that name though.” He added the last thoughtfully.

“All right, I’ll call you Duncan if that’s what you want, though I can still call you Harry, it’s also your name.”

“It is, but I rather you got used to calling me Duncan. It gives me some anonymity and Voldemort’s people won’t put two and two together that easily. They might suspect I was Harry Potter, but… when they check for a glamorie they will find that I’m not wearing any, so it’ll be just coincidence that I appeared when he disappeared.” He had begun to understand the benefits of getting rid of the Potter image; he would be safer, at least for a while. “I still need a plan, but I don’t have to get it done tonight.”

“Umm… you’re right there. After you thwarted You-Know-Who’s attempts at getting the Prophesy he won’t be very happy with you… or any of us for that matter that were at the Department of Mysteries. He also lost some key Death Eaters, Lucius Malfoy among them. But you’re changing the subject again Duncan, so out with the explanations.” She looked at him sternly.

Harry sighed in resignation; he knew that explaining things to Hermione was not going to be easy. He had never been that good at explaining things –unless they were curses, jinxes and hexes- and right now the day’s events were starting to become too much for him. He finally decided to let her read the letter, all that he knew was written there after all. He also trusted her more than anyone, so he did not mind that she would learn that James Potter was actually an awful person, even though everyone believed him to be otherwise. Harry signalled that they should move to the chairs or the couch before the fireplace and took his mother’s letter with him. He sat on the couch facing the low burning fire in the fireplace, and she surprised him by sitting close to him.

“Here,” he handed her the envelope. “This is my Mum’s letter. It’s quite long, but everything that I know so far is there. She explains it much better than I ever would.”

“Are you sure you want me to read it Duncan? This… this is… well personal.” She hesitated in reading something that his mother wrote him, where she probably talked about very private family things.

“It really is personal ‘Mione, but I don’t mind you reading it. I… I know you’ll understand, and perhaps you can help me with a plan after you know what’s there,” he assured her.

“All right if you’re sure,” she still hesitated.

“I am, go ahead,” he insisted firmly.

Hello Hermione,

I suspect you’re a little surprised that I know your name, and that you are reading this letter. Know that I am a seer (not the kind that makes Prophesies but the kind that actually ‘sees’ events in the future) and I ‘saw’ this would happen. So I charmed the letter to add a little introduction for you when the time came for my son to let you read it.

“Look at this Duncan! She charmed it for me,” she exclaimed bemused and a little exited letting him read the first paragraph.

“Now that’s interesting, I wonder what she wants to tell you,” he mussed looking at the new paragraphs; the ink was now a nice emerald green instead of purple. He guessed it was written after the rest of the letter.

I am grateful that you’re a true friend to my son, he needs people who love him and trust him, and that he in turn loves and trusts close if he’s ever going to defeat Voldemort. There is a Prophesy that states he will be the one to kill him or die trying.

Not many people know about it, and Dumbledore had not wanted to tell him in the vain hopes of letting my son hang on to his childhood as long as it was possible. Finally the Headmaster realized that he had no other choice. He was wasting precious time that could have been used to better prepare Duncan to face Voldemort; he created a lot of problems that could have been avoided if my little snake had been aware of it.

As his friend Hermione, you know my son really had no childhood to keep; it was taken away the moment the Headmaster made the mistake of leaving Harry in Petunia’s care.

Don’t take me wrong, my sister is not a bad person, and even after all our troubles I still love her, and have forgiven her. But she allowed herself to be carried away by jealousy, feelings of inadequacy, and later by Vernon’s prejudices. I believe she has seen reason and repents of the way she treated Duncan, the same happens to her son Dudley.

It is important that Harry lets go of his grudges (however merited they are), being filled with anger and hate will hurt him in the end. And he really can hold his grudges; he inherited that trait from his father. I know that now that he has told you who his real father is you will be able to see that.

You are his friend Hermione, and the voice of reason he listens to more often than not. Help him find forgiveness in his heart for Petunia and Dudley; they could become a good family if he allows them to come close. Help him also to keep that heart pure and able to love, it is one of the things that will help him survive his struggle against Voldemort. I am entrusting my son to you, just as I have entrusted him to Severus.

Tomorrow morning, when they go for Dudley’s wand and Harry’s replicas, you should ask Mr. Ollivander for a new wand and replicas. I’m not sure you have read about this in any book, as it’s mostly word of mouth knowledge. Sometimes the original wands of very powerful witches and wizards are no longer enough to let all their magic flow through. In those cases a new wand is needed, with a core of two or more magical elements and/or a mixture of different woods.

Harry’s wand was no longer enough, even though it was good as a learning tool. The same happens to you, your wand is not enough anymore Hermione. You have much more power than what you’re able to use now. Have Mr. Ollivander make you a new wand and a set of replicas, with the same spells that Harry’s and Dudley’s wands have. Some of the spells on the wands will avoid detection by the Ministry’s equipment. That is why Harry is able to do magic with his new wand even if he is still underage.

You three will need to use magic during the summer break, although for different reasons. You and my son need to get better at defensive and offensive spells, as well as few other useful things; and Dudley needs to learn all that he missed in five years of school if he’s ever going to attend Hogwarts. I blocked his magic when he was about fourteen months, before he had his first bout of magic.

I knew from my visions that he was going to be a wizard and I had to keep Hogwarts from registering Dudley in its records. The school enrols its future students after the first proof that the child is magical, and then places them in their respective age group. That is the reason why he never received a Hogwarts letter. If I had not blocked his magic Vernon -his father- would have killed Harry and later his son and wife. That man’s dislike for magic rivals that of the Spanish Inquisitors.

Now is the time to make up for what I deprived my nephew of. He needs accelerated learning; teach him as much as you can until Remus Lupin arrives.

Remus is an excellent and patient teacher (Severus would probably kill my nephew and gain an ulcer or two from trying to teach him), and the ‘pearly’ potion should prove invaluable in helping all of you speed up your learning. It is a calming brew, but depending on the need, it will clear the mind to allow the drinker to reason and use logic. It also helps speed the learning process, both mental and physical.

The ‘pearly’ potion does have a side effect after about two months of continuous ingestion. But it’s a good one in my opinion. The drinkers become calm and collected, able to think clearly and fast in dire situations, the learning ability also increases without the need to drink the potion anymore. They also gain a better physical condition, don’t push this aside as it can be an enormous advantage when duelling. You should divide it into four portions, one for you, one for Dudley and two for Harry. He’s going to need it the most.

On to other things now; inside the jewellery box in the chest, there are two neckbands similar to the one Harry is wearing, he’ll know which ones. One is for Severus and the other for you. Harry will need to add two drops of his blood to each and use the incantation I have written in the last page of the letter to fuse them to the emerald. These neckbands will protect you, in a similar way to the blood protection from family. He needs to do yours tomorrow, before you leave for Gringotts. I could not tell him before hand of these neckbands as I was already messing too much with the future.

I’m sure Harry will want more of these protections for his other friends, so I included the instructions for making them in the journal. You’re welcomed to read it too Hermione as well as Severus, but no one else. Not even Ron Weasley… at least not for a while; he needs to mature a bit and learn to be more tolerant. Life is not black and white, and until Ron Weasley learns that, he will be more of a hindrance to the both of you besides hurting Duncan’s feelings. Be there for my little snake, he needs the people who love him close.

Take care of my son Hermione, and know that he will take care of you no matter what. I look forward to finally meeting you in the journal. It contains a piece of my consciousness. Now you should go on to the rest of the letter.

Love

Lily Evans-Connell

P.S. You’ll probably have to keep an eye on Severus too. He’s such a stubborn wizard that never pays attention to his own well being. He’s not a bad man, only a very lonely and hurt one. But once people earn his trust and affection, they have it for life. He can be as loyal as a Hufflepuff, and please for your own good, and my peace in the afterlife, don’t tell him I said that. You and Duncan should be patient with him, it might take him a while to open up, but I’m sure that he will in the end if you persevere; besides, Gryffindors are stubborn if nothing else.

“Umm…” Harry began after reading the introduction over Hermione’s shoulder. He rested his chin on her, finding that he felt comforted and not at all awkward with her proximity, as he probably should. He had to assume the potion had something to do with that. She had occasionally hugged him, and he enjoyed the human contact, but they had never been too touchy-feely.

“Umm indeed Duncan, I get the feeling she knows more than she’s telling us in the letter.” She leaned onto him and craned her head to see his reaction, but he only looked thoughtful.

Absently Harry wrapped his arms around her waist to support her better. She had never been this comfortable with guy before, but it felt good and she felt safe. Hermione found out she liked very much the comfort of being hugged by Harry. He seldom allowed contact, and when he did he was usually fidgety and nervous. Like he did not know what to do, and she had to admit that he probably did not. From what Harry had let on about his relatives they had never shown him affection.

“Yeah, it… sounds as if my… father is not going to… umm scream bloody murder when he finds out who I really am, although Ron probably will. I don’t want to loose his friendship ‘Mione.” He had begun thoughtfully and ended sounding sad. His mother had confirmed his suspicions that Ron was not going to take the news of his father’s identity all that well.

“Umm… I think Professor Snape might do a bit of screaming, ranting, or at the very least fuming. It wouldn’t be him if he didn’t, but once his brains kick in then he’ll probably analyze the situation and decide what to do. He is a very intelligent man.”

“That does sound like something Snape might do, I didn’t like him, and I still don’t. But I can’t deny that he’s a very intelligent wizard; and most of the time he does keep his head on his shoulders,” Harry sighed.

“You’re right about Ron though. He’s not going to like it, and I think the git’s probably going to behave like he did in fourth year or worse,” she sighed. In a way Ron was a lot like Percy, so set in his beliefs. “But I don’t think you should worry about the rest of the Weasleys, they are a surprisingly understanding lot, and I’m sure the twins will end pranking some sense into Ron’s thick head.”

“They probably will,” he said smiling a little. He knew he could count on those two, and that they could take things seriously even if it was not often. “I guess I should prepare myself for Ron’s explosion, he’s probably going to say so many stupid and painful things.” At least he would still have one of his friends by his side. Hermione had taken everything in stride so far.

“Should I go on reading?” She asked softly to distract him from the gloomy thoughts about Ron. She sometimes wondered if the redhead could really be considered a good friend, because as much as she cares for him, there were times she doubted it.

“Yeah, I think you should go on ‘Mione, she did ask you to keep on reading. She’s even letting you read the journal.”

“Ok, here I go,”

Hermione kept reading and at intervals she stopped to either comment, be indignant or simply offer as much comfort and reassurance to her friend as she could. She had read and heard so many wonderful things about James Potter and the marauders, that it was hard to stomach what Harry’s Mum implied. Her best friend shocked her even more by commenting that he had ‘seen’ how awful Sirius and James were, although he did not tell her where he saw it. He told her that he had confronted both Remus and Sirius about it, and that he had only been more disappointed in them by their answer, as well as disgusted. They had been the worse kind of bullies he had ever seen.

The young witch was also appalled at hearing how Lily hated Sirius, and she wondered if Azkaban had indeed changed him. He behaved well with Harry and them, but she had seen how he reacted to Professor Snape. That was not enough to know if he had changed from the bully he had been. But ever since she met him, she had the feeling that he was just an immature kid, even younger than Harry, Ron and herself. He did not seem to take responsibilities seriously, although he seemed to really love her friend, or at least the fact that he was James Potter’s son. She wondered if Sirius had ever acknowledged that his Godson was a unique person and not a clone of his father. Would he have still loved him after finding out that he was Professor Snape’s son? Somehow she believed that he would not, and it pained her for Harry’s sake, that man’s hatred for the Potions Master ran too deep.

Being a fast reader she did not take long finishing the letter, and was glad for the potion to soothe her already frayed nerves, as well as Harry’s presence. He really had an odd calming quality about him, he always had; and laying there against him on the couch was also comforting for the both of them. They stayed like that for a while enjoying each other’s presence, until they began yawning. In silent agreement they stood up and went to the table where the chest was. Harry fixed the Dreamless sleep for both of them and to his added the extra ten drops of the pearly potion; only mentioning that they would buy four smaller vials to divide it after they visited Gringotts before he went to his room.