Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Last chapter: Harry became sick and his guardians cared for him. Snape went shopping for Muggle medicine and TLC.
Stealing Daisies

Hoppity woke up the next morning and after a quick shower went to see how Harry was. When she entered the room she was surprised to see Snape sleeping in the chair, his head resting in one upright arm.

“Severus,” she said as she nudged him. Snape jumped and blinked around. “Severus, you feel asleep,” she whispered. Harry was still sleeping and she didn’t want to wake him.

Snape grunted and stiffly got up. “He fell asleep sometime after you left,” he stated as he went to leave.

“Thanks, I’ll just get some breakfast and wait for him to wake up.”

Snape didn’t seem to care.

---

When Harry woke up, he was feeling pretty okay actually. His body felt achy and he didn’t even want to think about drinking or eating anything quite yet but the horrible sour throw up feeling was gone for now. He was alone, so he closed his eyes and rested a bit. He wondered when Snape left, most likely after he fell asleep.

It was nice, Harry reflected, when Snape read to him last night. His voice wasn’t so mean when he was saying nice things.

Harry dreamt a bit about rabbits before he decided to get up. He was bored of staying in bed and no one had said that he had to. Actually, no one had come up to see him and he wondered where Hoppity and Snape were and what they were doing.

He made a little burrow in his blankets for his new rabbit and put Rufus the dragon on top. Satisfied that they would be fine while he was away, he wandered down into the kitchen. Hoppity was just getting ready to leave.

“Yes, of course,” Snape was saying.

“Yes of course, what?” Harry asked, wondering what was going on.

Hoppity was on him in a second, coming over to feel his forehead and cheeks, “Oh Harry, you’re awake! How are you feeling? Any better at all?”

Harry replied, “Yes, lots,” and it was true, compared to yesterday’s throwing up, he was much better. He still felt funny though.

“Oh, that’s good. Maybe you can try eating something today.” Hoppity looked at him and felt his forehead one last time before unclasping him. She picked up her bag. “Time for me to be off, I’ll be back around three,” she told Snape and Harry.

She was going to school? “Wait, but I’m not ready yet!” Harry turned to run to his room but Snape snatched him before he could get far and pulling him back.

“You are not going.”

Of course he was. “I can go!” All he needed was a change of clothes and his book bag, which he could get if Snape would just let him go! He tried to wiggle out of Snape’s grasp.

“You are mistaken. Stop squirming.” Snape was relentless in his hold. No matter which way Harry squirmed or wormed, he couldn’t get free. “Hoppity, I can go!” Harry cried out to her.

“I’m sorry Harry, but you’re still sick. You need to stay home today and rest,” she replied kindly.

“No, but-” the six year old cried.

“You don’t want to make all the other little children sick, do you?”

“I wouldn’t.”

“You wouldn’t be able to help it, Harry,” Hoppity chided gently. “What if you sick up again and I have to take you home?”

Harry stopped to think about that. Well that was a good point, but Harry wasn’t planning to sick up again. And if he did, Hoppity wouldn’t have to take him home, he’d be happy just to sit next to her in her office for the rest of the day…

Sensing his weakness, she pushed the advantage, “What kind of mother would they think I was if I let my little boy go to school sick?” She seemed to regret her words when Harry screwed up his face in misery.

It seemed like he would be stuck here, Snape wouldn’t let him go and Hoppity didn’t want to take him.

“Aw, I’m sorry Harry-bean,” she said coming over to hug him again, truly feeling bad at what she had said. Snape let him go and then he was being held by Hoppity. “You really need to stay home to rest today and get better though.”

Harry cried into her shoulder, “But I don’t want to stay here.”

“What’s wrong with here? You have toys here and Snape will be here to take care of you.”

That’s exactly what was wrong!

Hoppity pulled back to look at him, “If you rest, I’ll be back before you know it.”

She let go and then Harry was caught up and held again by Snape as she picked up her bag and turned to leave.

He tried to follow but couldn’t because of Snape. “No,” he cried, as if voicing his displeasure would change things. “Noo!”

If he wasn’t going to school, then she could at least stay with him! But his cries fell on deaf ears as the door closed behind her.

“Stop that now,” Snape said. “It’s for your own good to stay.”

“Nooo…” Harry wailed more piteously than before.

“Hush,” Snape said gently. “Crying does not help or solve anything.”

He was right though. What did crying ever get you? Sleepiness and a headache, which was what Harry now had. He quieted to sniffles and Snape released him to feel his face and forehead. The fingers felt cool against his fevered skin and Harry, still upset, closed his eyes.

“You are still warm,” Snape said with displeasure. “Back to bed.” Harry snapped his eyes open, bed was definitely the last place he wanted to be right now.

“I don’t want to,” Harry whined quietly. He didn’t want to stay with Snape either but staying with Snape was better than going back to bed! It was boring there, and horrible with nothing to distract one from feeling sick.

“Potter,” Snape warned.

“It’s boring and besides, I just woke up.”

Snape did not reply, instead getting up to take out a glass and placing it in front of the boy. Harry just frowned at it and crossed his arms.

“Harry, you need to drink something.”

Just thinking about drinking something made him feel ill. “Please, not now,” he pleaded, turning his arms to hold his stomach. “I don’t want- I don’t want to feel sick again.”

Snape exhaled. “You may drink it later, then. But you must rest now.”

Harry said stubbornly, “I don’t want to go back to bed.”

Snape considered this. If he could have the boy closer to a place he could work, it would be better for him. “Fine, you may lay on the couch then. But you must rest, no playing,” he warned.

Harry was consoled by this small victory. He left directly and sat comfortably on the couch, looking up expectantly at Snape when he realized that he had followed him into the room. He was surprised to notice that the man was holding the duvet from Harry’s bed. How’d that appear so quickly?

“How’d-?” the blanket fell over his head. “Hey!” The blanket was moved to fit snuggly around him, he was trapped. Snape eyed it appraisingly.

“Now, rest.”

“But I can’t sleep, I just woke up. And where’d this come from anyway?” Harry asked, trying catch Snape admitting to using magic.

“Your bed,” Snape replied obviously. “I did not say that you had to sleep, only that you had to rest.”

“But what am I supposed to do?

“Lie there quietly,” was Snape’s tough answer before he left through the door to the kitchen. Harry pouted into his blanket. This was so unfair. And boring! He hated being sick. And how’d Snape get his duvet anyway? Harry was sure he summoned it when he wasn’t looking…

Harry lay there for what seemed like a very long, boring time. He could hear Snape working in the kitchen, writing or reading something maybe. Harry could hear the sounds of a quill and pages turning. He tried to close his eyes and sleep, but sleep wouldn’t come. Without any distractions, Harry had started to feel his stomach turning sour again.

He tossed and turned a little in his cocoon of blanket before sitting up. Maybe with a distraction, he could ignore it and it would go away. He glanced around and spotted the remote for the telly on the coffee table. Struggling a little, he managed to reach it without falling off the couch. He clicked it on and noise and light filled the room. That was much better.

“Potter, what are you doing?” Snape’s voice warned from the other room.

“Just turning on the telly.” He hid the remote down the side of the couch cushions in case Snape came in to investigate and take it away. Fortunately, he did not and after a little while, Harry pulled it back out and started flipping through channels. He found a space cartoon soon enough and settled in to watch, trying to push the covers away; he was hot enough as it was.

***

It was later and Harry could no longer ignore the uncomfortable feelings he was getting; His stomach was getting worse and he felt awful, his mouth starting to sour, breath starting to speed up like he just finished racing on a broom.

“Snape,” he groaned. He got no response. “Snape,” he groaned louder. He feared that he would be sick soon.

“What is it Potter?” Snape suddenly asked from the doorway of the room.

“I’m gonnaa,” he breathed. “Sick.”

Hands quickly freed him from his blanket prison and steered him across the parlour floor towards the downstairs loo. He found himself in front of the toilet and he shook his head. “Not yet.”

Snape knelt down next to him and peered worriedly into his face.

He stood up and wet a hand towel, then bent down and wiped Harry’s face with it as the little boy breathed heavily.

“Isn’t there a spell you can do? Please?” Harry begged. He felt horrible, he wished so badly that Snape could just wave his wand and make it go away, make everything better. He should be able to, right? He was magic.

Snape brushed the towel across Harry’s cheeks but didn’t answer Harry’s question. Suddenly, Harry’s stomach started pushing stuff up again and he found himself in front of the toilet.

When he was done, Snape helped him to rinse his mouth out and wiped his face clean.

“It doesn’t work that way. You would still be sick. Your body knows what it needs best.”

Feeling weak, drained, but better, Harry just rubbed his stressed face.

“What you need, more than anything now, is rest,” Snape said and then guided Harry back to the couch. There he helped Harry back into his cocoon of blankets and tucked them snuggly around him. He picked up the remote for the telly, and after puzzling at it for a little while he pressed the off button, leaving the room in silence.

He left and came back with a glass of juice. Upon seeing what he held, Harry turned his face away, into the couch. He couldn’t, wouldn’t drink anything so soon after throwing up. It would just make him sick again.

He heard the glass being put down on the coffee table and then a hand firmly pushed his covered arm to get his attention. “Harry, sit up a little and drink this.”

“Noo,” Harry whined piteously.

Snape warned, “Harry.”

“I don’t want to,” was the muffled response.

“Just a couple of sips,” Snape cajoled.

Harry tried to burrow more into the back of the couch. “It’ll come back up.”

“No, it won’t because you’ll be asleep.” Snape thought that he was being very patient with this boy, but he would drink this juice one way or the other and then sleep. “Potter, sit up,” he said tersely.

Potter rolled over and sat up with a big pout, he was clearly not happy with his guardian.

“I don’t see why you can’t just make me better.”

“What do you think I’m doing now?” Snape asked as he held the cup up to Harry’s lips. Harry’s eyes widened. He looked calculatedly down at the liquid in front of him.

“So this will make me better?”

“I’m sure you will feel better after this and then a nice, long nap.”

Harry peered at Snape shrewdly. For a moment, Snape feared that Potter had caught on, that he was just telling him something that should happen naturally; but then it seemed like Harry either dismissed the idea or understood it and decided to go along with it anyway. Snape wasn’t going to ask which one.

Harry opened his mouth a tiny bit and sipped at the juice. After a small amount had disappeared into him, Snape finally relented with the glass and let Harry settle back down into his blankets.

He paused before leaving as Harry’s large, sick eyes compelled him to stay. Reaching out, he brushed the hair sideways off of his forehead, avoiding the scar. The boy’s eyes opened in surprise, then settled when the soothing movement was continued, over and over.

“Go to sleep,” Snape said quietly, reinforcing it with a little magic and Harry’s eyes drifted closed.

***

Harry woke up some time later. A great deal later, actually; Things felt different, less quiet and the sun had moved. He was feeling a lot better, not nauseous at all. He was thirsty and hot though. Struggling to kick off the blankets, he heard voices in the kitchen. He was surprised and happy to realize that Hoppity was back! He was really glad that she had finally come home. Harry finally freed himself from the blanket and then he slowly walked into the kitchen. He was feeling a little unsteadily, but that was probably because he had slept so long.

Hoppity was standing at the sink, talking to Snape, or more like talking to herself. Snape saw him first, looking at Harry with a narrowed, assessing look but didn’t say anything.

The water at the sink was looking really inviting and Harry walked over to Hoppity’s side, surprising her.

“Oh, Harry! You’re up. How are you?” she asked, bending down to hug him and to look at him and then hug him again.

His throat was dry and his voice came out a little dryly, “Thirsty.”

“Really?” She pulled back to look at him. “You poor thing, I’ll get you some water. Oh, you’re cold,” she noted, seeing his form shiver. “I’ll get you something warmer to wear, no wait, the water first. Go sit down,” she said, nodding to his chair at the table before getting a glass and filling it with water. She placed it before Harry’s seat and he reached for it eagerly as she quickly left the room to retrieve ‘something warmer’.

He stopped before drinking it though, looking at it and remembering how it had felt to throw up. But he had had some juice with Snape before, and he hadn’t thrown that up. Slowly, he lifted the cup the cup to his mouth and sipped it. The cool water felt so good going down and he started to drink it quickly.

“Not so fast,” Snape warned from across the table and Harry stopped, taking one last sip before placing the cup on the table.

He glanced around the kitchen before looking at Snape and realizing that he man was looking at him, and probably had been for awhile. He looked down at himself, wondering what was wrong and he heard Snape snort. He quickly looked up but Snape was working on his papers again.

Bored and cold, Harry swung his leg, hoping that Hoppity would come back soon. He was hungry too. And bored. “What are you working on?”

Snape looked up, surprised that he was being addressed. “A potion to make nosey little boys loose their tongues for 24 hours.”

“Oh,” Harry mouthed. He twiddled his thumbs. “Really?”

Snape put down his quill. “No, not really, Potter. It’s a private project and none of your business.” He picked up his quill again and started to write, “Maybe when you are older and have shown enough maturity to be in possession of such information, you will be told.”

“Told what?” Hoppity asked as she entered with Harry’s sweatshirt.

“About a potion,” Snape replied.

“Oh, fun.” She replied, not really meaning it. She dumped the sweatshirt over Harry’s head and proceeded to help his arms through the holes, only to find out that she had put it on his backwards, making Harry giggle at her expression when she realized it.

She gave him a sheepish grin and then helped Harry struggle to turn the sweatshirt the right way. “Sorry about that, Harry.”

“Now, is there anything you want or need before you go back to bed?”

Back to bed? But he just woke up! Ah but this was Hoppity, she wouldn’t make him do that…

“I am a little hungry,” Harry said.

Hoppity stopped and blinked. “You are? Well that’s great news. That means you’re almost better, I think. “Two days,” Hoppity mused. “That sounds about right…”

“He was last sick this morning, but not since. He might be able to keep something simple down now,” Snape informed her.

“Well, I think I have a can of chicken soup around, that’s simple, right? What do you say, Harry? Want to try it?”

“See how he does first with the water and some juice.”

Harry scowled at Snape’s interruption. “I think I could have some chicken soup,” he told Hoppity, pointedly ignoring Snape.

Hoppity patted his head and compromised, “Well, okay, but how about having some juice while it cooks, okay?”

Harry thought about it for a moment before agreeing and nodding his head. “Alright.” He was still thirsty and juice was better than water.

Hoppity quickly set to work, heating up some soup for Harry. She gave him some juice while he waited.

Soon, a warm bowl was placed in front of him full of soup.

Hoppity asked, “Isn’t chicken soup good for a fever? Feed a fever, starve a cold or something like that?”

“I think chicken soup is good for colds,” Harry said, but spooned his soup up anyway.

“Now Harry, if you start feeling sick again, just let me know right away, okay?” Hoppity asked concernedly. She pulled a bucket out from under the sink and placed it nest to Harry’s chair, he gave it a glance.

“Okay, but I don’t think I will,” Harry replied, turning his attention to his soup.

Once it was gone, Hoppity told him to get back to bed.

“I am not tired at all,” Harry informed her.

“Alright, well you can play a bit then.”

Harry grinned and then looked at Snape. Take that, Snape! The man wasn’t even looking at him though. Disappointing. Harry tried to relish his victory anyway.

---

The next morning, after a long sleep, Harry padded down to the kitchen. No one was there so Harry looked around for a clock, he thought that maybe he was just early.

He decided to make breakfast. Toast should be alright. He knew how to boil water for tea… If he knew where Snape was, and that he wasn’t going to catch him in the act, Harry would have climbed up the fridge to get the cereal Snape put there. But he didn’t so he wasn’t going to try it today. He’d try it another time he was less likely to get caught.

So… toast. Harry reached over the tall counter to snag the bread with his fingertips, intently pulling it towards himself. Once he had it, he brought it to the table to open and take the slices out. He pushed a chair over to the other counter where the toaster was and put the bread in to toast. While he waited, he went to the fridge to look for some jam and butter.

Once he had everything out and on the table, he waited he last seconds for the toast to pop up. Oh wait, he forgot a plate. He got the plate, and then he buttered the toast.

Hoppity came down, looking a little tired.

“Look what I made,” Harry announced, “Breakfast!”

“Oh, good job Harry-bean,” Hoppity said with a smile. “Some lovely toast…”

Uh oh. Harry’s smile fell, he forgot the tea!

“Hold on, I forgot the tea but I can do that really quick-”

Hoppity interrupted, “Tea would be wonderful! Do you need help?”

“No, no,” Harry said, but Hoppity came over anyway and helped him fill the pot and put it on the stove. Then she sat back down at the table.

“Aren’t you going to eat your toast?” he asked her.

“I’m not feeling that hungry this morning.”

“Oh.”

“It was very sweet of you though. Thank you!”

“You’re welcome,” Harry said quietly. He was disappointed that she didn’t like his surprise more.

The tea was soon done and Hoppity sipped at a cup. Harry thought it strange that she wasn’t having breakfast, she usually did, toast at least. Snape strode into the kitchen and helped himself to some tea.

Harry studied Hoppity and ventured a question, “Are... you getting sick?”

“I think… maybe I am,” Hoppity said, looking a little pale to Harry now. She put her tea cup down and did not pick it up again and Harry looked at her worriedly. “You shouldn’t blame yourself though, Harry, I could have just as easily have got it from one of the other children at the school.”

She probably got it from him though… he had been so selfish and she was sick now.

I took the precaution of taking some Pepper-up the first night,” Snape stated casually.

“Well I sure could have used that!”

“You also could have asked,” Snape replied, picking at the plate of toast. “If you decided to cuddle up with the brat when he was sick you should have prepared for the consequences.”

“There were more important things at the time,” Hoppity said. “Will you please make me some Pepper up?”

Snape looked calculatingly at her as he bit into some toast. Harry desperately hoped that he would. If she got some before she really got sick, well then it would be like she didn’t get sick at all, right?

“Oh for Merlin’s sake, Severus!”

“Fine, but you will have to agree to test some potions out for me. Agreed?”

“Oh… you slimy Slytherin!”

“Watch it, or this potion might slip through my slimy hands,” Snape said as he pulled out a vial from… somewhere and held it out between two fingers. Maybe he pulled it out from his wrist cuff? Harry couldn’t be sure.

“Alright, fine,” Hoppity cried out, waving her hands. “But, only if they aren’t horrible or terrible or if I don’t want to.”

“What’s the point of an agreement, then?” Snape asked snidely. “Technically, you already agreed. But no matter, if you back out I can always use Harry.”

“No you won’t. Give me that potion, please.”

Snape handed over the potion and then Hoppity uncorked it and downed it in one go. After a second steam came from her ears and her face turned really red, making her look like a spotted tomato with her freckles.

“Ah, much better. I still feel kind of ill though,” she said, holding her stomach. “I think I ought to go have a lie down.”

“Yes. Best if you stay away from the brat as well. I don’t fancy holding him as he sicks up all day again, which even now could be possible,” Snape eyed the boy.

“Hey, I’m better now!” Harry declared.

“Possible, but also possibly unlikely.”

What?

Hoppity rubbed her head, looking very put out. “I’ll just go to bed, now, after calling. Ta.” She got up and shuffled a little unsteadily out of the room.

Harry blinked at her retreating back before turning to Snape. “Who’s going to take me to school then?”

“You are not going,” Snape said and took a sip of tea.

“But I’m better! I should get to go to school!”

“No, Potter. You should go back to bed.”

“But- I should go to school!”

Snape put his cup down and pinched the bridge of his nose. “Hush. You’re not going, so stop wailing about it. If you are still well by tomorrow then you can go tomorrow, but not today.”

Harry shuffled and tried to come up with an argument that would change Snape’s mind.

“Do you enjoy being sick, Harry?”

“Well, no-“

“If you go to school today, you will probably become sick again.”

Harry pouted and folded his arms.

“Furthermore, if you went then someone would have to stay at the school the entire time you are there. I have no wish to do that.”

Harry wanted to ask why someone had to, but he knew better. It was because he was different.

Snape warned, “Today while Smirkett is resting in her room you will not be bothering her. Stay out of there, Potter.”

Harry just stood and pouted. Who was Snape to tell him what to do?

“I mean that Potter, if I find that you have disobeyed, you will be very sorry. And I will find out.”

“Fine,” Harry said, still upset but not willing to push the issue after Snape’s warning. “Can I go outside to play, then?” Harry hoped the Potions Master would say yes, he couldn’t take going back to bed so soon after waking up. “I’ll be good, promise,” Harry said earnestly. “I’ll come in when you say.”

Snape looked at him closely as if testing the validity of that statement. It was summer, and the day was warm and sunny. “Perhaps some fresh air would be good, for a little time.”

Harry barely contained himself from jumping up and down. “Thank you.”

“But you must finish your breakfast first, and you must stay only around the house and come in when I say, or if before that, immediately if you are feeling ill again. After your playtime it’s back to bed for you. There’s no need for you to relapse.”

Harry frowned at all the extra things Snape was saying, especially that last one about going to bed. He consoled himself with the thought that he would just play in bed when he was stuck in it and Snape wouldn’t know. He had two friends to play with now and he was sure that the rabbit one Snape gave him would love to explore his blanket burrows and valleys some more.

“Okay,” Harry chirped.

Snape narrowed his eyes but just pointed to Harry’s toast.

Harry got back into his seat and nibbled at his breakfast very slowly. It was amazing that Snape was letting him go outside. When most of a piece of toast was gone he got up, stopping at Snape’s chair. He now remembered when Snape gave him his rabbit how bewildered he had been, and what he’d done. He felt like he wanted to apologize, or something.

He fidgeted a little before saying, “I’m sorry for crying over my present the other night, I really liked it.”

“What do I care if you cry over a toy or not?” Snape asked. “Go play.”

Harry looked at him for a moment before deciding that Snape was probably right and that he should leave before Snape changed his mind and dragged him back to bed. He left quickly.

----

Harry came back inside before lunch, a little dirty and full of fresh air. He was tired but he proudly held two daises in his hands and showed them to Snape.

“I picked them. Can I go give them to Hoppity?” Harry asked hopefully. “They might make her feel better.”

“I can assure you Potter that the scent of daisies have no medicinal properties at all.”

That wasn’t the point Snape! “Can I give them to her?” Harry repeated his question.

“No. You know you can’t go in there. She’s ill and you’d probably only annoy her.”

Harry lowered his head, remembering that he was the one who made her sick.

After a moment Snape got up and poured some water into a tall glass, then took the flowers from a surprised Harry’s hand. He plopped them into the glass. “I will give these to her with some juice. You will not go up there,” he reiterated.

Harry nodded, just glad that Hoppity would be getting the flowers. He was sure that she’d like them.

“You’re a little early for lunch… Why don’t you go pick some more of those daisies?” Snape suggested lightly. “I’m sure… Hoppity would like them.”

That was a rather nice thing to do, Harry decided. He was turning to leave when Snape’s voice stopped him, “And Potter? Don’t forget to get the roots.”

Harry looked at him suspiciously. "Why would I need the roots?"

Snape paused, “Because she'd like them." He continued, when Harry didn’t seem convinced, “Think about it, when you cut just the tops you are killing them… that’s not very nice for a present, is it? Dead flowers? I’m sure she’d like live ones much more.”

“But the only flowers you give girls are dead ones,” Harry thought out loud.

“Fine, go and wash your hands and face,” Snape told him peevishly.

---

After a small lunch of more soup and bread, Snape had Harry go back to bed in his room. He made sure Harry was under his blankets before he shut the blinds, darkening the room.

“You may not get up except to use the toilet. If you feel sick again, you may come find me.”

And with that, Snape left the room, closing the door behind him. Harry immediately sat up even though his bed was really cozy and comfortable. But he didn’t want to sleep! It was daytime, there were so many fun things to do.

Harry placed his new rabbit on his lap and looked at him. Made with light brown fabric and filled with beans, he was tall, with floppy ears… Harry imagined what he would be like if he was a real rabbit. His nose would wiggle and his ears would twitch, he’d sniff the air and then, only when it was safe would he hop over here to this pillow vegetable patch.

Harry pretended that the rabbit ate up some lovely carrots and cabbages before having him hop around and investigating the edges of the blanket. They explored several tunnels together before Harry decided that his rabbit needed a home.

Pushing the edge of his blankets up, he formed a little hill, and pushed the rabbit under it. There.

Rabbit now safe, Harry lay down and fell asleep.

---

“Potter… wake up.”

Harry blearily opened one eye and rolled over.

“Potter… come now, you’ve slept long enough.” A cool hand reached and felt his forehead and Harry crankily tried to burrow away from it.

The cool hand came back before leaving and Harry was relieved that it was finally gone until then his duvet was lifted away, which was worse.

“It’s time to wake up.”

“Nuh,” Harry whined into the mattress.

Snape was seriously regretting allowing the brat to sleep for so long. “You can’t get in the habit of sleeping the day away. Come now, get up.”

It seemed the voice would not leave him alone to sleep so Harry sat up tiredly and gave Snape one of his crossest looks.

Snape just raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms. “There is some supper downstairs if you are interested.”

Harry perked up. Supper sounded good.

At the kitchen table sat two bowls of soup. “Where’s Hoppity?”

“Resting. Eat your soup,” was Snape’s simple answer.

Harry clamored onto his chair and slowly sipped at his soup. The watery broth was not that filling with only small bits of noodles and vegetables.

“Not to your liking?” Snape asked tersely, eyeing the little boy.

Harry fiddle with his spoon. “Well it’s just... I’m all better now so I should have all better food.”

“Since you seem to be ‘all better’, I think a lesson is in order this evening.”

Harry blinked and then dropped his hands to his stomach. “Actually… I think I was wrong, I’m feeling all sickly and ill again,” he said pitifully. “I just couldn’t tell right before.”

“Too late, Potter.” Snape was smirking as he continued eating his own soup.