Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Here it is finally a new chapter, please RR and thanks Starangel for beta'ing it! Next one is being worked on and if she has her way it will be done soon!! Skittles...
Potions and Arguments

Chapter Three: Potions and Arguments

Potions always made Severus Snape calm. He could simply brew and think through anything that seemed to be troubling him. For example he found himself brewing a stronger version of a fever reducing, and cough suppressant potion, as he had much troubling him. Somehow he had not only agreed to go back and teach once more at Hogwarts; but, he was now responsible for the hero of the wizarding world's health. Yes, that was by his own decision, yet it was still troubling him, he could do much for the young man's body such as making sure that he ate properly and got solid sleep.

What Snape could not stop were the nightmares that came through, the memories that haunted those emerald eyes that seemed to be as cold as the weather. Potter had gotten them under such extreme control no one could tell how he was feeling. In fact it was as if he had locked himself entirely within his mind so as no one could get close to where his heart was.  That was not something Snape was trained to heal. He paused from brewing to listen closely, although Potter was just down the hall he did not want the boy to wake from a nightmare alone, the one he had just hours after he arrived had told Snape all he needed to know. The boy for that's what he would always be to Snape, was scarred and no one had bothered to even offer to help him heal. Which meant now that he was in charge of Potter's health he would have to locate someone who could help him. Secure in the knowledge that Potter would remain for the time being asleep and dreamless he went back to brewing.

He wondered who he knew that he could get to come in and help? It would have to be a wizard of course, and one that knew of Harry Potter and his exploits, and most of all someone who wouldn't be afraid of Potter, not even if his famous temper was let loose, he began to bottle the now finished potion as he was considering. He knew several wizards who were healers and specialized in the mind; but, most were catering, bending to what their patients wanted, they didn't have much of a spine, he needed someone who was sneaky, who was underhanded, he needed someone who was....Slytherin. Snape realized, in fact, Snape felt a smirk light his face, he may just know the right man for the job. Banishing the caldron and sending the finished potions to his supplies closet he made his way from his lab sticking his head into what he was using as Potter's bedroom to assure himself again the young man was sleeping peacefully. The glean of sweat on Potter's face was normal for someone with a high grade fever, and though he looked as if he had indeed tousled some in his sleep, he seemed to be resting quite comfortably at the moment. Nodding pleased that his potions were, as always, working perfectly on him.  Snape made his way to the kitchen where he had a note pad with a rather small list of phone numbers. Luckily the man he had in mind had good knowledge of Muggle things, he even went to school and got licensed in the muggle world as a psychiatrist as well as mind healer. That meant he had a phone, and while the snow had trapped them in his home he would still be able to set in place the beginnings of his meddling in Potter's life.
He located the number easily and walked over to his phone and dialed listening as it rang.  He hoped he wouldn't have to leave a message on the infernal machine the man had insisted on installing for missed calls, Snape may have found himself comfortable with muggle things; but, still hated to leave messages on answering machines. By the fourth ring Snape was certain he was going to be forced to leave a message, as he began mentally preparing what he would say, at long last the phone was picked up.

"This had better be important, because if it isn't you will find yourself hanging upside down from some very large tree in the middle of a forest." A voice snapped into the phone. Snape smiled fully now, the voice was music to his ears.  He had always liked the younger Slytherin, he was smart and he was also one of the few who was never tempted by the promises the Dark Lord whispered to the snakes. In fact he had been openly against the Dark Lord.

"A wonderful way to answer your own phone Drake, though who you thought would be calling you in the middle of a snow storm I can not begin to imagine." Snape said in an even voice. The man on the other line let out a laugh, something that was light hearted and carefree, certainly not the real man behind the voice.

"Severus Snape, never thought I'd be hearing from you again, at least not for some time yet. How are you? And to what do I owe the pleasure of this call...this bloody early in the morning? Do you realize it's only four am?" Drake snapped good humor facade disappearing with his annoyance. Snape smirked.

"I have a favor to ask." He said simply knowing that simple statement would spike the man's curiosity.

"At four am you call me for a favor? It could not have waited until a reasonable hour? Alright spit it out so I can get back to sleep."   
"You are familiar with Harry Potter?" Snape countered. Drake snorted into the phone.

"Who isn't?"

"Have you ever met him?" Snape pressed and Drake sighed into the phone.

"I've seen him, when the ministry has forced him to play puppet for them. The fools have no idea that they have a ticking time bomb waiting there." Drake said. Snape raised an eyebrow and sat down at his table.

"Care to explain that? You feel Potter would endanger the wizarding world?" He asked. Drake sighed again.

"No. What I meant Severus, is that boy is going to reach the limits at which he can handle before he explodes inward on himself. A total break down, one that would likely have him admitted and forced to be comatose by potions to Saint Mungo's because we all know that Harry Potter isn't allowed to have any weakness, if he does then he may become the next dark lord. Merlin forbid the boy actually be hurting from everything he has gone through, I think the only thing he is clinging to is ‘his something' he can focus his mind on." Drake explained.

"I agree. And that happens to be reopening Hogwarts, the boy has managed to get the entire staff together, the repairs are already being done as we speak." Snape offered helpfully. Drake was silent a few minutes.

"...and you've decided that you're going to go back there aren't you?" He said disapproval in his voice. Snape rolled his eyes heavenward.

"Yes, I am going back to teach. Yes it will bring back bad memories, but the fool is actually going about it right. He isn't hiring stupidly, he is thinking things through. He came to me in the middle of this blizzard by foot from Minerva's home to ask me to be Potion's Master again."

"He did what? Has he already lost his mind!" Drake yelled into Snape's ear.

"Drake would you kindly keep your voice down, I am sure you can express your displeasure in a different manor than rendering me deaf. Now as to why I have called you, you are right Potter is self destructive, he has let his health go and I, the fool that I am, made a deal. I would teach again providing he give me the right to make sure of his health. As he has proven that he is too foolish to be able to handle it on his own, much less any of those friends of his." Snape explained. Drake was silent for a few minutes, and Snape knew the man was annualizing what he already knew of the situation.

"You want me to take him on don't you." The words were spoken softly and Snape knew in that moment he had already gotten Drake to agree.

"Yes, I do not need some sniveling idiot who is to afraid of Potter to actually help him. He woke several hours after arriving, from a nightmare that had him so full of terror that he didn't even realize, when he first woke up, where he was. And then when he did realize he shielded whatever was going on in his mind.  No emotions show through his eyes unless he is too exhausted or half awake to show it."

"I see. So no bowing down, thanking, or kissing his feet for saving us all from a mad man, got it. Just how lightly am I allowed to tread with him Severus."

"Treat him as if he were a Slytherin Drake." Snape responded and heard the other man whistle.

"That's harsh...but I have a feeling harsh and tough is just what he needs...you remember when that idiot Skeeter wrote that story on the real life of Harry Potter? She was telling the truth about how the muggles treated their own blood." Drake said. Snape groaned he had hoped it had been lies, while he knew that Potter wasn't the spoiled prince he had always thought him to be, he really didn't want to believe that for seventeen years, well sixteen as Potter was one when he lost his parents, he had lived in an abusive home that no one ever thought to look into. Merlin knew all the signs were right under everyone's eyes, Snape had let the pettiness of who the boy's father was get in the way of his duty as one of the boy's teacher.

"Wonderful, any other delightful information you would care to share Healer Loki?" Snape said dryly, Drake laughed; this time it was a real laugh.

"That's about as much as I know...beyond what you've let slip about the final battle, I do know of the wonders he experienced as a student at Hogwarts, it's a wonder he would ever want the place reopened much less to be a part of it when he had so much pain there." Drake said.

"I believe he felt it was his home, and from what he has said...he feels that we older wizards and witches owe it to our younger generation to give them Hogwarts, hopefully this time around we will do it right. Are you able to move to Hogwarts?" He asked bluntly.

"Severus as soon as this storm let's up I'd move to your home if you wanted me to." Drake replied honestly. Snape thought for several minutes on that then shook his head.

"Potter is currently suffering from a severe cold, I figure that can wait until at least he has that under control." he said reasonably. Drake chuckled.

"More like you want to keep what you have in mind hidden for as long as possible. I doubt the saviour to the wizarding world is too happy about the deal he had to make. And knowing what I have learned about him, he doesn't even realize why you wanted that deal to begin with. Nor do you, but I am not in the mood to get into an argument, in that way, at the moment. Because I for one do not survive on a simple hour of sleep, good day Severus and don't call me again this early in the morning unless it is an emergency." Drake said then promptly hung up without waiting for an answer. Snape snorted, the man always did have sass when it came to how he treated others. And he knew that he never intended to cause anyone to take offense it was just how he was.

Snape sat in silence for several minutes before letting out an aggravated sigh.The foolish boy couldn't help the desire and urge to act on his hero complex that he had been born with, he just had no other outlets that would help him shut it off, or at least tone it down. And while he valued Dumbledore's friendship greatly, he still felt the man was a stubborn old coot who had encouraged such actions far too often. He rolled his eyes heavenward as he heard a muffled sound from Potter's room, the boy had either woken up from a potion induced sleep or he was having yet another nightmare. If they continued to be this severe then he would consider taking Drake up on the offer to move in. Standing he walked into the room to see Potter sitting up rubbing his eyes, void of emotion they met his signaling that he was wide awake.

"I don't suppose you have a muggle phone?" Harry asked keeping his voice carefully calm. Snape raised an eyebrow and said nothing. "What? I wanted to at least call Ginny and let her know I am alive."

"Very wise of you not to attempt to say well. Yes, I do infact have one, if you would follow me." He said and stood as Harry fought to detangle himself from blankets finally free he stumbled towards Severus who grabbed his arm and helped him to the kitchen, sitting him at the table. "Tea, while you talk to Ms. Weasley?" He offered choosing his battles carefully, even with his emotions under lock and key Snape knew the temper would ignite when he insisted Harry do as he said.

"Please." Harry said and dialed, he relaxed as he heard Ginny on the other end. Her voice was music to his ears.

"Gin it's Ri, sorry I haven't called before now, I ran into a bit of trouble...ah that's good that Ron stopped over, no I found them all we are set with professors..." Harry said and absent mindedly took the mug from Snape as he listened. "No I won't be home just yet I ah-" He paused and stared at Snape who smirked understanding well what Ginny was asking Harry. "I had to make a deal with Snape...no it isn't...well...he is... well he is in charge of my health." Harry scowled into the phone and Snape could hear Ginny laughing loudly into the other end. Harry glared at him.

"Apparently Ms. Weasley has matured a great deal." Snape said and went to help himself to some tea and gestured to Harry to actually start drinking his. Harry scowled at him and shook his head as he went and took a sip waiting for his fiance to calm down.

"Ginny you know it is not a good thing! Yes it got him to agree with-you want to WHAT!?" Harry snapped and then pouted holding out the phone to Snape. "She wants to talk to you." He growled, amused, Snape took the phone and gestured again for Harry to drink his tea.

"And to what do I owe the pleasure of you wanting to speak with me?" He said wandering away from Harry's hearing. He figured if Ginevra Weasley wanted to speak directly to him then it had to be of some importance as Harry seemed annoyed with allowing them to talk.

"First Professor...thank you! Do you realize how hard we have been trying to do just that! He just hits the ground running and doesn't stop to think about what it is doing to him!" Ginny said. Snape nodded that much he could tell from the short time the boy had been awake in his presence.

"Don't thank me just yet, when I said I would take charge of his health I-"

"Professor don't finish that sentence, the last thing you need to do is alert him that you have more than one area of his health in mind, and I do understand what you are getting at...after the battle we all tried to convince him to agree to see someone, he refused saying all he needed to do was forget. We let it slide even though I know we shouldn't have."

Snape raised an eyebrow, well that was news, at least they had tried, however he was going to do more than just try, he was going to succeed where all others had failed. "Yes well that area has already been taken care of." He said shortly knowing she would understand what he meant, he heard what he considered a sigh of relief.

"Again thank you...so How long do you think Harry will be there?" Ginny asked.

"Potter...has landed himself one nasty cold, doing stupid things again." He said. Ginny groaned into his ear.

"So basically this is the time you say, don't plan on him any time soon." She said.

"Correct, and as lovely as this chat has been Ms. Weasley I find that it is time that I  go take care of your fiance. After all I have to force potions into your wayward fiance and get him into a shower or bath, depending on how steady he is on his feet, and then back to bed he shall go." He said.

"Alright,Professor thank you again." she said. He listened to the dial tone for a few moments before he set the phone back on its hook. He then looked down at his charge.

"You heard me, finish your tea and then you will be drinking a fever reducer, I will give you more potions once you are back in bed." He commented and smirked when he got a snort from his former student.

"I can shower." Harry said giving him a glare and Snape snorted.

"Of course you can, and you shall...if you manage to make it to the bathroom without tripping over your own feet." Snape said smirking at him. Harry rolled his eyes.

"I am beginning to regret this deal." He muttered as he was led to the bathroom, sitting on the sink was a pair of muggle sweat pants and a t-shirt, sighing Harry turned and pointedly looked at Snape. "Aren't you going to leave?" He demanded. Instead of responding right away, Snape snorted and shut the door leaning against it.

"And chance you passing out, and falling, cracking your head open allowing yourself to bleed out before you admit you need help? I think not. Please Potter you don't have anything I have not seen before." he said smirking at the growl he got.

"Don't say I didn't warn you then." Harry snapped, annoyed and a bit embarrassed.  He pulled his shirt off his back facing his former professor. He was not surprised by the sharp intake Snape made, his back was covered in scars, from his many adventures and mostly from the final battle. And he knew that of everyone who had been there at that fateful day, Severus Snape was still the only wizard who understood completely what he had done at the final battle field.

"Has your fiance seen your back?" Snape asked the question before he could stop himself, Harry turned and Snape narrowed his eyes at the scars that coated his arms and his chest. "Or the rest of you for that matter." He added with a scowl.

"Yes and no, not entirely she has seen my arms and a few glances at the other, she does not realize that I am as...ah decorated as I am?" Harry answered waving his right hand which held his shirt, Snape snatched it and pulled the shirt away staring at the faded scars on his hand.

"The toad did this didn't she?" he asked softly, Harry sighed and nodded.

"It's in the past, it helped make me who I am today." He said with a shrug and stripped the rest of the way sliding into the shower making sure the curtain hid him as he turned the water on. That had Snape snickering as he picked up the discarded clothes and tossed them in the hamper.

"You Potter dwell too much on the past." He commented and heard a snort come from the shower, Harry let the hot water blasted the back of the head hoping to delay the headache he was feeling there, his fever he was back in full force.

"Perhaps, but I do keep getting reminded about it." He snapped. "And how is it that sometimes magic works through your wards and some doesn't?" he demanded. Snape smirked.

"The lesser spells work, its the more powerful ones that don't, well they drain the wizard severely so I do not recommend, even you the all powerful Harry Potter, try it." Snape said amused.

"Oh thats great...why...never mind your a crazy hermit that's why." Harry grunted and finally turned the water off snagging a towel and wrapping it around his waist and stepped out getting dressed quickly. He jumped when Snape strode forward placing a hand on his forehead.

"And you are burning up...again." he said with a sigh grabbing Harry's arm and led him from the room.

"I just got out of a hot shower of course I feel hot!" Harry defended himself. Snape turned and glared at him making squirm.

"Do you honestly think that just because you defeated Voldemort, and grew a few inches, that I can not spot a lie from you?" Snape demanded. Harry opened and closed his mouth.

"Severus Tobias Snape! I hate this bloody ward." Came a thickly scottish voice from the kitchen. Snape smirked and turned dragging Harry with him.

"It serves you right Drake for coming here uninvited, did I not say to go to Hogwarts and not here?" he said smirking at the blonde who was downing a potion looking a bit haggard from punching through the magic barrier. Drake looked at the two men and rolled his eyes.


"Yes, yes woe is you I came early, and it looks like it is a good thing I did, you didn't go back to sleep after you called me did you Sev?" Drake demanded his green eyes took in the sight of Harry and shook his head. "I apologize for being rude to you Mr. Potter I presume, I am an old friend of Severus's my name is Drake Riley." He said. Harry nodded back.

"It's good to know he has some actual friends-Ow!" Harry yelped as he got his ear pulled by Snape.

"Hush you, I have friends." he snapped and scowled when Drake grinned at him. "Not a word from you on that matter." he added and Drake held up his hands in false surrender.

"How about we argue later and get poor Harry here tucked back into bed, some potions in his system so he can actually rest?" he suggested and smirked evilly when Harry's eyes narrowed at him. "Yes he called me, yes I am going to be dealing with you, and no you don't have a choice in the matter. Just shut it and deal with it." Harry shut his mouth and glared at him then found himself being led from the room, Snape on one side, Drake on the other.

"...Bloody Hogwarts." he snapped out causing both men to pause and look at him questioningly. "If I didn't want to do right by her I would not be in this mess!" he snapped and when both men only laughed and continued on their way he let out an aggravated growl.

"Yes, of course there is also the chance you would not have survived, into the next year, going on as you have been if you didn't come intruding on my doorstep." Snape said as he walked Harry to the bed pushing him down. "I will go get your potions, Drake can you watch him?"

"Of course, after all he is going to be a good boy, just sitting here and behaving...right Harry?" Drake said smiling, the smile alone warned Harry that he did not want to push any of the man's buttons. "I'm sorry my hearing must be going because you didn't reply." Harry rolled his eyes.

"Yes I will stay put, and don't you dare tell me to add a sir to that." he snapped. Drake grinned.

"Wouldn't dream of it, Severus...the potions? Or do I need to look you over too?" He asked pointedly looking up and down the potion's master figure. That had Snape moving quickly to get the potions he needed for Harry. Drake shook his head. "Of course he doesn't realize he still is in for it."

"You are a tricky one aren't you." Harry commented from the bed. Drake shrugged.

"I'm Slytherin, goes with the territory. Now lie down please, that way when you take the potions and hopefully pass out I won't have to move you to much." Drake commented and pulled the blankets back giving him a look that ordered Harry once more to obey.

"We are going to have a chat about you bossing me around." Harry growled as he obeyed.

"No we will not, again you do not have any choice or say in the matter, you might as well check any and all complaints and attitudes at the door." Drake said while Snape walked back in with the potions.

"You are wasting your breath Drake. Potter exceeds at whining and complaining." He commented and handed Harry the potions. "Easy way or hard way, I am tired and Drake here enjoys doing things the hard way, try not to make this too much fun for him." Harry rolled his eyes as he downed the potions without a comment.

"Aw, come on no arguments? No fighting, or anything? What fun are you going to be?" Drake joked as Harry glared at him.

"Shut it." He snapped. Drake laughed loudly as he ruffled the saviour to the wizarding worlds hair.

"Oh come now, you can do better than that." he said as he took one of Harry's wrists in his hand, he began to take his pulse as Harry blinked owlishly as the potions rapidly began to work.

"You are annoying..." he slurred and Drake shook his head.

"Get used to it mate, because I am not going anywhere. Even after we fix everything that's going on with you, and what's in your head." he said knowing that Harry was too drugged to understand what he was talking about. "Okay, Harry I want you to try and get some sleep, Snape and I will leave you alone." He said as he grabbed Snape's shoulder and led him away. Out in the kitchen Drake pointed to a chair.

"Why did you come early?" Snape asked. Drake shrugged and sat down across the table.

"Why not?" He countered leaning back in the chair relaxing. Snape snorted.

"Answering a question with another question is considered rude." He commented.

"Sorry....never took a class in manners. Now then...4am wake up call, you had definitely been up at least several hours before that ,and now I hear that you have not gone back to bed?" he asked. Snape squirmed a little in his seat, he always did hate the tone healers used on misbehaving patients.

"Potter woke up after I talked to you. He wanted to use the phone and needed a shower. You came as I was getting him back to bed." He answered. Drake leaned forward.

"Yes, I saw and now that he is safely in dreamland laced with all manner of potions, you yourself are going back to bed correct? Of course, if you would rather, we could go to your bedroom and I can give you a FULL exam. I don't mind doing that either." Drake said looking Snape in the eye to let the man know he was being serious.  He was giving him a chance to fix whatever he had neglected in his own health and he wouldn't intervene more than he was; but, if he refused, it meant he had one seriously annoyed healer to deal with.

"Honestly, you put your nose into anything you can." Snape said annoyed and got to his feet heading towards his room he paused. "There is another bedroom next to Potter's, though I warn you he-"

"Wakes up screaming like a banshee from whatever his mind lets haunt him. Yes, thats the main reason why you called me." Drake pointed out waving him on. Snape shook his head and walked off as Drake began to check on all of the kitchen's stock, knowing Snape like he did, unless he hit on a good day, the cupboards would be almost bare.  He was delighted to find that the wizard had fully stocked everything, enough to last weeks, which meant he had planned ahead when he heard about the storm. Thanking Merlin, Drake wandered through the house, then went into Harry's room.Tthe boy was asleep, his body at the moment was relaxed, he stared down at the pale face and shook his head.  He was one of the few people who had gotten to know Sirius Black...and had made a promise to him over drinks, the fugitive hadn't managed to give the blasted order the slip often. He did manage to do it to meet up with Drake, had actually heard about Drake's profession and sought him out. Sirius had wanted to adopt Harry but he didn't want to have all the emotional baggage he had earned from his years imprisoned stopping him from being a proper guardian.

He pulled the blanket up more over Harry and smoothed it out.  Funny it had been hours before his demise when Black had spoken to him last, worrying over the stress Harry was having at school...he was going to convince Dumbledore to call on Drake to help Harry.  Of course he never got to do that, and Dumbledore bless his old heart never thought to think that his precious golden boy was breaking. At long last he had a chance to fulfill an old pranksters dying wish, to help his godson heal, and to be happy. Something, Drake mused, that Potter didn't allow himself. Yes he had a fiance from what he read; but, he didn't seem as close to her as he should, didn't let any one in was probably more like it. He was going to be rough on him, if he was going to undo every bit of damage caused in his young life he had to be.  This was one thing he refused to give up on. Before he was done with Harry Potter, the boy would be healed fully, and able to move on.