Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
And as always BIG thanks to my beta reader Veritas427
Chapter 6- An unexpected surprise...

The first figure that they came across was extremely familiar. Harry knew her, as he had just seen her recently. He did not understand. Exactly what was the room supposed to be reacting to this time?

"Sev!" the familiar voice said. "What are you standing there for? Come with me!" Lily pleaded. Snape groaned softly, while visibly rubbing the bridge of his crooked nose. Not again, he thought, not again. I’m not sure if I can tell her to go away again.

"Terrific." Harry mumbled flatly with a hint of sarcasm.

The figure adjacent to Lily was none other than Lucius Malfoy. Dressed in ornate black velvet robes, and holding his intricately carved trademark silver serpent cane, he sneered at Snape. "Severus. Lost in Slytherin’s Labyrinth, I see? I must say that I find this to be rather amusing. How foolish of you..” He started to speak in a taunting voice, but then quickly paused. "Potter! Quickly Severus! Bring him to the Dark Lord! He will reward us greatly!" He finished with an evil smile.

Harry looked wildly at Snape, who was looking amused at Lucius. "Er…Professor? What is the room reacting to now? I'm not afraid of Malfoy or tempted by him." Harry ended with an uneasy smile.

Snape looked at Harry. He didn’t need Legilimency to interpret what Harry was thinking. It was the unspoken, “Are you tempted by him Snape?” that made Snape’s eyes widen. Snarling, with looks to kill, he slowly hissed. "What is that supposed to mean, Potter?"

Mortified, Harry felt his face turn a deep shade of red. Oh God. "Mean wh-what Professor?" he said, looking at the floor.

Snape still looked murderous. "If you have any sense of self-preservation, you ought to learn to control your thoughts. Specifically, thoughts that are sordid in nature Potter! Your mind is like an open book!" He spat. "This chamber does not react to temptation! Wait for the other illusion to appear before you make your simple little judgments!" Snape finished. He was breathing heavily.

Harry inwardly laughed. I really should stop thinking around him. Or at least control my thoughts…He never gave me an answer…But I-- Harry's thoughts were cut short by Snape's glare. "No" was Snape's only response.

Harry turned back to the hallways. In the third hallway another familiar figure stood. "Dumbledore again?" Harry asked, a little confused. This Dumbledore, however, looked much more serious. There wasn’t any knowing smile or twinkling eyes that greeted them. He looked serious and grim. Harry stopped and stared at Dumbledore for a moment. "Well Severus? Choose." The Dumbledore illusion said quietly. Harry looked at Snape. Snape looked pale, more so than usual. His face was a deathly pallor. This confused Harry even more. Snape's eyes slid rapidly from Dumbledore to Lucius then to Lily.

"I think you are supposed to choose this time, Professor." Harry said softly, looking at Snape. "What is this room reacting to?"

It was a while before Snape answered. "It reacts to loyalty." Looking at Lily, he spoke. "Potter. I am going to need you to do something. You need to trust me."

"What?"

"You cannot see the choice I am going to make. Since the Dark Lord has a connection to your mind, it would be in all of our best interests if you didn’t see."

"What? Why? Am I supposed to blindfold myself then?" Harry asked a little surprised.

"Yes. You cannot see my choice. That’s why you should learn-"

"Yeah! I know! Ok, I don’t have anything to use as a blindfold. How long will I have to wear it?"

"For however long the hall lasts. You'll just have to trust me in leading you." Snape said, smirking at Harry.

Trust you?…ugh…Hopefully this won’t last long. “Fine." Harry said. He reached down and tore a piece of cloth off his robes. Then he gave his glasses to Snape, and tied the cloth tightly around his head.

"Good. How many fingers am I holding up?" Snape said smirking, while not raising a hand.

"Four?" Harry guessed. Snape didn’t respond. "Well? Was I right? Honestly, I can’t see."

"You were wrong. I did not hold up a hand. Of course that does not prove anything. I suppose though, if you trust me, I will have to trust you as well. Consider this though, if you do see, your life will not be the only one in danger." Snape finished with a stern voice. "Now I am going to spin you around a few times, so that the way chosen isn't obvious."

Harry felt Snape grab his shoulders and spin him twice in one direction and then three times in another. "Do you know which way you are facing? Be honest, Potter." Snape said a little harshly.

"No I don’t."

"Good. Now, at no time during this you may not take it off. Until I say. Understand?" Snape said, putting a little emphasis on the words 'may not'.

"Yeah. Alright. But how will I know which way to go if I'm supposed to be following you?"

"You will walk behind me. Hold on to my robes, the sleeve will do, and you will not get lost." Snape replied, sounding a little surprised. Snape handed Harry the end of his robes and began walking down a hall. Harry clung tight to his Potion Masters robes as he walked. I wonder if Snape would come back for me if I got lost? Harry thought. He could have sworn he heard Snape laugh a little.

Which way did he choose!? It’s bothering me. Loyalties? Whatever. I'm thirsty again. Harry almost thought that Snape was sensing all of his random thoughts. He tried to stop himself from thinking anything stupid. "Professor I have to go to the bathroom." Harry said finally.

"Well I don’t see a bathroom anywhere! You'll just have to wait." Snape said, sounding annoyed again.

Harry sighed. I can’t wait for five days! Ughhh! Why isn't there anything to eat down here?! Did Salazar expect people to eat eachother?!

"Probably." Snape said coolly. "He wasn't known for being the most amicable when it came to the founders of Hogwarts."

"Aren't you hungry or thirsty?" Harry persisted.

"Yes, Potter. However, unlike you, I'm not complaining about it! If you can't go a few days without food or water then you are weak." Snape finished sourly.

When I'm with the Dursley's I go days, sometimes weeks, without food or water as a punishment. Ha! Me? Weak? That’s laughable. Try living with them for a week and say that I’m weak.

Snape didn’t say anything. He suddenly thought of a greasy haired, hooked nose man towering over him.

"Do you think that Dumbledore knows where we are?" Harry asked, trying not to sound too hopeful.

"It’s Professor Dumbledore, and I’m sure that the headmaster probably does. There is, however, nothing in his capacity that he can currently do. We have to find our own way out." Snape finished with a sigh. They walked a while before Snape broke the silence. "Alright, it looks like the end of this corridor is close. Keep the blindfold on until I say so." He said, walking a little faster. Harry was relieved. He trusted Snape, but he just didn’t like not knowing what was going on, or where he was going. Anybody would hate that.

Snape finally stopped and Harry walked into him and fell backwards. "S-sorry Professor!" Harry breathed out, trying to stand up. Harry felt Snape pull him to his feet and take his blindfold off. Harry was handed his glasses, and he quickly put them on. Looking up at his Potions Master, Harry noticed that Snape's years were starting to take toll. The lines on his face were even more visible. His eyelids were tinged red and he had dark shadows under his eyes. He looked as though the walk had hurt him. Not physically, of course. His eyes showed a myriad of emotions, sadness, happiness, and, most of all, regret.

"Are you…" Harry started. He wasn’t sure if he should ask Snape if he was alright. He knew that Snape would never tell him the truth, but he looked torn.

"Am I what, Potter?" Snape asked, sounding tired.

"Er-…nothing, never mind." Harry said. He figured that Snape wouldn’t tell him how he was, so he decided to leave the matter alone. Snape stared at Harry, then looked past him. He was staring at the wall opposite of the three hallways, which were still empty. Harry turned around and finally saw what Snape was looking at. It was a basin full of, what appeared to be, water.

Harry ran up to it, not thinking about what the liquid could be and put his hands into the clear liquid. Snape came from behind him, grabbed him back by his collar, and glared at him. "Do you have any brains at all? Do you not find it strange that there is water here?"

"What? You mean its poison?" Harry asked, rather embarrassed. He hadn't thought of that. He was just thirsty. That didn’t make him not think though, that he should have known better.

"It might be! Wait, let me see if it is safe to drink." Snape said, irritated. He walked up to the basin and carefully surveyed it. No visible poison…He scooped some into his hands and smelled it. No smell…He hesitated, then throwing caution aside, drank what was in his hands. Whatever this is, it isn't water…

"This is not water. Wait about ten minutes, and if nothing happens to me…then you may have some." Snape ended. He sat down with his back to the wall and watched while Harry did the same.

"What do you think it was?" Harry asked, looking a little anxious.

"I'm not sure. It could be anything." Snape said, a thin gloss forming over his eyes.

"What if you get poisoned? What am I going to do?" He questioned. What would he do? Would Snape tell him to go and leave him? Snape didn’t respond. His eyes became unfixed and all emotion from them had been drained. Harry noticed the change in his Professor and became worried. "Professor?…Snape? Professor?!" Harry shouted at his teacher.

Harry slowly walked up to Snape. He ran his hand in front of his face a couple of times and nothing happened. He became worried. What should he do?

"Professor? Are you there?" Harry tried again.

"Yes." Snape said plainly, without emotion. His eyes were still unfixed. Harry looked at the basin of water. No…could it be…

He quickly looked at his Potion Master and sat down in front of him. "Professor…what is my name?"

"Harry James Potter." Came the emotionless voice.

“Is the basin full of Veritaserum?" Harry asked, now excited.

"Yes."

He knew it! Snape had swallowed Veritaserum! Harry considered to let sleeping dragons lie, but this was a once in a lifetime chance.

"Alright then." said Harry. What should I ask?