Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi, everyone! I apologise for being absent lately. The school year is ending soon and I've been busy with some things for my own class at preschool, and also helping my children finish some projects and study for exams, and it's just eaten up my free time. But please bear with me. It'll be summer soon, and I should have more time to write then (and get caught up on reading, too!).

I hope you'll enjoy this chapter! (Boy, it sure felt strange to be writing about Christmas now when it's almost summer!)
Chapter 30

"You're awake?"

As soon as the words were out of his mouth, Harry realised what an inane question that was. But Severus just gave an almost imperceptible nod and a quiet, "Yes."

"I'm sorry. I really am. I was just..." Harry began.

"You already said that," Severus remarked, forcing the familiar dryness into his weak tone. He shifted, moving into more of a sitting position, and Harry started to get up, but Severus shook his head and held out his arm.

"Stay...please," he added. He hesitated before admitting in a low voice, "I've been quite concerned about losing you these past few days, and it's...rather nice to have you close by."

Harry smiled and settled into the crook of Severus' arm, gently leaning against him. "It's rather nice for me, too."

They were quiet for a few minutes; then Harry tried again. "I'm sorry, Severus. I know I shouldn't have run away like that. It was stupid and careless. I should have known better."

"Foolish child, how many times are you going to apologise?" Severus rumbled.

Harry sighed. "I just feel so bad. I am foolish and..."

He stopped because Severus had suddenly sat up straight as if he'd just received a jolt of electricity.

"Harry, you do understand that when I say that, I am not truly calling you foolish, don't you?" Severus demanded.

"Well, yeah, I mean I kind of figured you didn't mean it as an insult," Harry said a little awkwardly.

"Of course I don't." Severus sighed. "Terms of endearment come awkwardly to me. The way I was raised...well, they are difficult for me, no matter how much I might care. But I would not want you to misunderstand my intentions." He looked at Harry closely.

Harry nodded. "I know how you feel."

"Good." Severus leaned back against the pillows with a weary sigh.

"Are you sure you're all right?" Harry asked anxiously. "Dumbledore said you would be, but that you would need to rest for a few days."

"I am fine," Severus said. "Perhaps a little weak at the moment, but I'm fine. As soon as Poppy comes around, I shall speak to her about going back to our rooms. I have no intention of spending Christmas in the infirmary."

"It doesn't matter where we spend it, as long as you're all right," Harry told him.

"It does matter." The Professor replied. "I wanted to give you a wonderful Christmas, Harry." He sighed again. "I realise how ridiculous that sounds, now that I've caused you days of unnecessary anguish with my brooding, and then telling you about my role in your tragedy. But I did want our first Christmas together to be special."

His arm around Harry's shoulders tightened slightly, as if wanting to reassure himself of the boy's presence. "I'd intended to ask you about the adoption, but then I thought you needed to know about...my past, and then I couldn't stop worrying. I know how much I've wronged you, Harry, and I can never make up for it all. The only thing I can say is that I'm sorry, and I know how pitifully inadequate that is."

"Not if you really mean it," Harry said.

"Of course I..." Severus' voice suddenly choked and he looked away.

Harry laid his hand on the professor's arm. "Severus, I was really upset at first. Of course I was. I wish you had never been a Death Eater. But you wish it more than anybody, and you've suffered and risked your life many times to try to make up for all that. So I know you're really sorry, and I forgive you."

Severus swallowed. "You would forgive me, just like that? Even though it is my fault that your parents died?"

Harry shook his head. "It isn't your fault my parents died. It's Voldemort's and Peter Pettigrew's." He paused; then added, "Severus, remember how you told me that I shouldn't blame myself for Sirius' death, because that was letting off the people who were really guilty? Well, that goes for you, too."

Severus placed his hands over his face, and his shoulders began shaking. For several long seconds, Harry could only stare at him in amazement. Was Severus actually crying? It seemed impossible. As much as Severus had changed in the past months, Harry still couldn't imagine him weeping.

Yet he was.

Tentatively at first, Harry put his arms around the man and gently patted him on the back, trying to give comfort the way Severus had done for him so many times lately. The professor grabbed him in a fierce hug and held onto him tightly for a few minutes before sitting back and reaching into his pocket for a handkerchief.

"I'm sorry." Severus actually sounded embarrassed. "It's just that I have...for years, I have..."

"It's all right," Harry answered. "And you shouldn't be sorry. I've bawled all over you plenty of times."

He looked away, trying to give Severus a little privacy. After a while, Severus spoke again, sounding more composed. "Thank you, Harry. I can never tell you how much your forgiveness means to me. You have a kind and generous spirit. But I also understand that sometimes, under duress, a person may not always think through all the consequences of an action..."

"Yeah, that's why I flew off at Grimmauld Place, and almost got you killed," Harry muttered, ducking his head in shame. "You should be angry at me, Severus."

Severus sighed. "I suppose we have both proven my point, but my actions have still been much worse than yours, Harry. But what I am trying to say is that you have not had much time to consider if you truly wish for me to adopt you. You had just been very frightened for my life, and you were emotional. Perhaps you should take more time to think about the matter with a clear mind?"

"I don't need to think about it," Harry paused and then looked at Severus uncertainly. "Unless you're not sure anymore?"

"I have been sure for weeks now," Severus said softly. "Harry, I would be very honored if you would agree to be my son."

"Yes, I'd love that," Harry whispered.

Severus enfolded him in his arms and Harry hugged him back. He felt simultaneously stunned and happier than he could ever remember feeling before, until a sudden thought struck him like a bucket of ice water and he sat back to gaze anxiously at Severus.

"But what about the Dursleys and the blood wards? That's the whole reason Dumbledore always made me go back to them. What if he won't let me be adopted?"

"It is not Albus' decision," Severus said firmly. "However, Albus and I have already discussed the matter and he is quite pleased. It wouldn't be wise to have you return to Privet Drive this summer anyway, regardless of whether I adopted you or not."

At Harry's puzzled look, Severus explained further, "You will be seventeen years old this summer, Harry, and technically you will come of age, though most wizarding families do not consider their children completely grown for another couple years. But according to the law, you will be an adult, and the wards that have protected you so far will fail at midnight of July 31st. If you went back, I suspect Voldemort would simply surround Privet Drive and wait for your birthday. You would be a sitting duck, as the Muggle phrase goes. It will be much safer for you to be hidden in another location from now on."

"Oh," Harry nodded. "That makes sense. Well, good then. Dumbledore won't try to stop us."

Severus laid a hand on his shoulder. "Even if he did object, I would still adopt you, Harry. The only thing that concerned me was whether you would approve or not. And I already promised you a long time ago that you would not have to face the Dursleys alone again. If it had come to that, I would have stayed at Privet Drive with you."

An image of his aunt's and uncle's expressions if Severus Snape had insisted on moving into Privet Drive for the summer made Harry grin. "They would have had fits. They'd probably have had to be hospitalised. Oh!" Harry's grin faded, to be replaced by a look of alarm. "But will Voldemort try to hurt them anyway, once the wards fail? He knows they're my relatives and they're Muggles. He'll go after them, won't he?"

"Don't tell me you're concerned for them, after the way they've abused you all these years," Severus growled.

"Well, yeah. I mean, they're horrible people, but I don't want them to be killed or tortured. They don't deserve that. Nobody does."

Severus just looked at him for a few seconds, then he pulled Harry close and kissed him lightly on the forehead. "You are a very good person, child, and you're right. I suppose they don't deserve that, though they do deserve some kind of punishment. I believe Albus is already making plans to send them into hiding as well, if they can be persuaded to go."

"They have to go, whether they agree or not," Harry told him. "If they won't go on their own, someone will have to make them go. We can't let Voldemort get them."

Severus nodded. "We will do our best to keep the Dursleys safe, Harry."

Harry smiled at him. "Thanks, Severus." He frowned slightly, tilting his head at the professor. "Um, what should I call you now?"

"Whatever you are comfortable with," Severus replied. He was quiet for a moment; then said slowly. "Harry, you know that your father and I were enemies during our school years, and it is hard for me to let go of those feelings. But you should know that James Potter did grow to be a good man, and he was a devoted father to you. I respect that, and I respect that you have feelings of love and loyalty to him. That is as it should be. I just want you to know that I'm not trying to take his place in your heart. I would love for you to call me ‘Dad' if you want, but if you want to continue calling me by my first name that is perfectly fine, too. You've already given me so much joy, just by forgiving me and allowing me to adopt you."

Harry ducked his head, feeling embarrassed even though he reveled in Severus' words. He thought for a few minutes and then looked up into Severus' dark eyes.

"I do love my mum and dad, and they'll always be my parents. But they can't be here for me, and since they can't, I think they'd want me to have someone who loves me and who can help me. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think it's all right for me to have two fathers. So if you don't mind, I think I could get used to calling you ‘Dad'."

Severus carded his fingers through Harry's hair. "I think I could get used to hearing it."

***

Severus and Madame Pomfrey argued over whether he should stay overnight in the infirmary, but Severus was adamant about returning to his own rooms, and as he was no longer actually injured, just weak, she finally gave in after giving him stern instructions to take his potions and rest.

Once they were back in their dungeon quarters, Harry helped Severus to the sofa...he wanted Severus to go to bed, but Severus insisted that he could rest just as well lying on the sofa. Harry did fetch a pillow and blanket for him, though, and cheerfully ignored Severus' protests as he stuck the pillow behind the professor's...his father's head and spread the blanket over him.

"Harry, I am not five years old. I do not require being tucked in."

"Please, Dad. I'm worried about you." Harry said softly.

Severus sighed and acquiesced by lying back against the pillow. "Very well, then. I'll lie down for a little while before dinner."

"Don't worry about dinner. I'll just order us something from the kitchens." Harry sat down on the floor beside the sofa and leaned against it. One of the armchairs would have been more comfortable, but he wanted to stay close to his father.

"You'll do no such thing. We shall go to the Great Hall for the Christmas dinner," Severus replied.

Harry frowned. "But Sev...Dad, Madame Pomfrey said for you to rest. I'm pretty sure she didn't mean for you to go upstairs for dinner."

Severus arched an eyebrow at him. "I am perfectly capable of sitting at the table for an hour, Harry."

Harry was starting to argue with him when Dumbledore's voice called out a cheery welcome and both Harry and Severus turned to see the headmaster's face smiling at them from the fireplace.

"Would it be all right if I came down for a second?" Dumbledore asked, and when Severus agreed, the Floo roared to life and then the old wizard was stepping spryly into the living room to join them.

"I just wanted to be certain you're all right, Severus," he said. "And to let you both know that the Death Eaters we captured this afternoon are in custody and will very likely be heading to Azkaban soon."

"You captured them, sir," Harry told them. "They would have gotten me without Severus and you there to help." He felt a niggle of fear at the memories. This afternoon could have so easily ended in disaster, as Dumbledore had said earlier. He could have been captured again, taken back to Voldemort to be tortured and killed. Severus could have died. So many things could have gone wrong.

And for all his newfound skills in dueling, he hadn't been able to defeat even the Death Eaters. How was he going to win against Voldemort himself?

A warm hand settled on his shoulder. "Harry? You look troubled. What's wrong?"

Harry looked up to see his father gazing at him in concern, and he made himself smile a little. "Nothing, really. I was just thinking how badly everything could have ended today, and...well, if I can't even beat Death Eaters, how am I going to beat Voldemort?"

Dumbledore sat down in a nearby chair. "There is no point in dwelling on what might have happened. Just learn from your mistakes and try not to repeat them. And as far as the battle itself, Harry, I think you did well."

As Harry gaped at him, Dumbledore nodded firmly. "Yes, you did. You were outnumbered and when I arrived, you were facing them alone. Yet you managed to hold them off. I was impressed, Harry, and I have no doubts that you will continue to improve. In any case, I'm not certain that the key to victory lies in overpowering Voldemort, not in the sense of dueling anyhow."

"But how, then?" Harry asked in bewilderment. "How else am I supposed to defeat him?"

"I don't know the answer to that, I'm afraid, Harry, but you didn't conquer him in a duel the last time you defeated him, now did you?" Dumbledore responded.

Harry shook his head. "But that wasn't me. It was because my mother gave her life for me. It wasn't anything I did."

"Well, we just never know how love will end up protecting us." Dumbledore gave him a gentle smile. "But try not to worry, Harry. I have complete faith in you."

Severus squeezed his shoulder. "As do I."

Harry twisted his head to smile up at him, then turned back to Dumbledore, still smiling. "Thank you, sir."

"You're most welcome." The headmaster stood up. "Well, I suppose I should be going and let you rest, Severus. Happy Christmas, my boys."

"Happy Christmas, sir," Harry glanced at Severus and added, "Dad and I will see you tomorrow."

"We'll see him in a half-hour at the Christmas dinner," Severus said stubbornly.

Dumbledore beamed at them. "First, congratulations on the adoption. Harry, I'm so happy for you. Severus, didn't I always tell you that you would like Harry if you gave him half a chance? And while you're already scowling at me, I'm going to pull rank for once and say that I'd best not see you out of your rooms before dinnertime tomorrow evening. Poppy is quite correct. You need to rest, not gallivant around the school."

"I do not gallivant. That is your style, not mine," Severus retorted. "And I will remain here only on the condition that Harry goes up to the Hall anyway."

Harry twisted around again to look at him. "But I want to stay with you."

"Harry, you have to stay cooped up down here so often now. I want you to enjoy your freedom now while you can. I wanted you to have a wonderful Christmas and nothing is working out the way I'd planned."

"This is already the best Christmas I'll ever have," Harry said seriously. "I've always dreamed about having my own family, and you've given it to me. I want to eat Christmas dinner with my father. Please, Dad?"

Severus gently stroked his son's hair. "How can I refuse?"

"I will have the elves send down an enormous platter just for the two of you, and tomorrow evening, we can have another feast with the Weasleys and Miss Granger here to enjoy it with us," Dumbledore said. His blue eyes twinkled at them. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to have a spin on my ice skates before dinner. I do believe hell just froze over."

Chapter End Notes:
Okay, I know some people will think Sev is hopelessly OOC here, especially with the crying, but in DH he did cry when Lily died (I think), and here he has been so afraid of losing Harry, plus he's carried the burden of guilt over the Potters' deaths for so many years, that when Harry forgave him, it just overwhelmed him.

Yes, I know I've said all along that Harry and Severus' relationship would be 'unofficial', but you guys changed my mind. The more I thought about it, the more I decided that Harry really does deserve to have a dad, and making it official by adoption would mean a lot to him, so I decided to go for it.

Dumbledore's last sentence, about hell freezing over, was a reference to an early chapter, where Severus informed him that it would be a cold day in hell before the 'Potter brat wormed his way into his heart'. Bonus points to anyone who knows the chapter!

Coming up in chapter 31: Christmas presents, the Weasleys and Hermione, school starts back up, and Harry has a surprising encounter with Draco.

Oh, yeah...thank you for reading! *Grins*