Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
College is killing me.

There's been some changes to chapter 8, please go back and check those :)
Up in the air part II

A glance confirmed what his ears had already told him. Professor Snape was stalking towards him, face pale and eyes blazing. His black robes billowed with movement like a morbid banner. A few steps behind the Professor, Dudley was struggling to keep up. He did not have to struggle to keep the wicked grin off his face.

 

”I see Madam Hooch has seen it fit to leave you unattended.” He sneered. ”Tell me, Mr. Potter, did she give you any instructions before letting you loose?”

 

He came closer to Harry with each word, until they were quite close to each other. Harry nodded in reply to his question.

 

”Speak up, boy, I can't hear you.” Snape took a step towards Harry and Harry took one back.

 

”Yes, sir.”

 

”Indeed? Did you listen long enough to comprehend them?”

 

”Yes sir. She told us to...”

 

”Yes?” Snape's voice was a silken threat.

 

”To stay on the ground, sir.” Harry raised his chin and dared a look at Snape.

 

“I assume you did not think this applied to a hero, then?”


“No sir, I...”

“Quiet.” The silken command was so soft Harry wouldn't have heard it if he hadn't been expecting it.

“Potter, you are perfectly incorrible. It doesn't to me, but it may come as a surprise to some... others. Fortunately, you are doing your best to prove them all wrong. I can only hope you continue doing so.”

 

Harry had to bite the inside of his cheek very hard to keep from replying.

 

“You cannot be trusted on a broom and around your fellow classmates. You were showing off and endangering the other students. You are a menace, Mr. Potter.”

 

Harry kept his necked bowed. Words, they were only words. It didn't matter to him that the other Gryffindors heard them. Or that the Slytherins got more ammunition to use against him. Or that he was being punished for what Malfoy had done. It d  i d  n o t  matter to him. At all.

 

But it did to Ron.


“Sir, it wasn't his fault! It was Malfoy that started it.” The redhead was ready for a fight, his body weight balanced and fists clenched.

 

His outburst was only met with contempt.

“Mr. Weasley, I can’t recall asking you for your opinion.”

“Punish Malfoy! It was his fault! Harry didn’t do anything!” Ron stepped closer to Snape, throwing his hands up in the air, seemingly in an effort to make the professor understand. Harry saw Snape’s lip twitch in a gesture that reminded him of Uncle Vernon’s cruelest moods. Ron , however, did not notice it and opened his mouth to protest once again.

 

Harry darted forward and laid a hand on his friend’s forearm.

 

“It’s okay,” he breathed into Ron’s ear. Ron turned his head and wide blue eyes met solemn green. “He won’t change his mind. Just let it go. I don’t care. Honest.”

 

“But…” Ron started to protest, but a glance at Snape’s crossed arms made him snap his mouth shut.

 

“Thanks.”

 

“If you are quite finished with this touching display,” Snape said. “You have an appointment with some of my cauldrons, and I assure you they will not listen to your orders, Potter.”

 

He stepped forward and grabbed Harry by his right arm and started to walk towards the castle. Harry had to choice between following Snape or being dragged, and all and all, he felt he had made enough of a fool of himself for one day. Snape did not speak on the journey to the Potions classroom except from muttering charm to unlock the doors, nor did he let go of Harry’s arm.

 

Once they had entered the empty classroom, Snape shoved him towards the center of the room in the direction of the sink. Harry understood the not so subtle hint and mentally prepared himself for aching muscles and tired arms.

 

“Potter!”

 

Harry jumped and turned around.

 

Snape stood behind his desk and leaned towards him with both hands on the surface.


“Never order your lackeys around near me again. It’s a disgusting habit and I intend to cure you of such manners before the year is out. I realize you have been pampered and spoiled like a prince all your life and that you expect that treatment here. Think again, boy. I see right through you.”

 

Snape’s voice was calm and collected, just as it had been when he lectured the first years on the uses of vervain in healing potions. But the last sentence was filled with such malice that Harry’s stomach made contact with his toes for the second time that day. And cure him? Harry didn’t want to be ‘cured’. As if he ordered people around!

Harry had felt reality slip away from him bit by bit during the day. It had been so different from anything he had ever experienced before. Flying, the exhilarating feeling of the wind in his air, Malfoy, Dudley’s thunderstruck expression when Harry was actually good at something, Ron standing up for him and now Snape wanted to cure him?

 


“I don’t give Ron orders!” He tried to protest. The mere thought of telling people what to do went against his upbringing.

 

“You will call me ‘sir’, boy!” In a way it was a comfort to have Snape yell at him. It brought Harry back to the ground, made him remember that after all he was just Harry who lived in the cupboard under the stairs. Just Harry.

 

“I don’t give Ron orders, sir! I just… I just didn’t want him to get in trouble for what I did. I…”

 

“What, Potter! “ Snape snapped.

 

“I know I was wrong, sir.” Best to apologize. It was always best to apologize. “I’m sorry. I should’ve listened to Madam Hooch.” Harry glanced up at Snape, who still leaned forward with his palms on his desk. His eyes were cold and mocking.

 

“So you say now, boy.  Get on with your scrubbing. I don’t want to listen to your useless apologies.”

 

Just Harry under the stairs.

 

++++

 

McGonagall gave to Gryffindor’s dorm later that day, when Harry had been released from Snape’s classroom. She made him part of the Quidditch team, the youngest seeker in a century! Reality slipped away from Harry and he was the Boy-who-Lived again. Harry under the stairs was back under the stairs once more.

 

Ron took the news of Harry’s appointment quite well. Hermione congratulated him but made sure to tell him she wasn’t sure if it was appropriate to reward him for breaking the rules. Neville smiled kindly and the others were simply happy for Harry. Malfoy didn’t even try to hide his jealousy. What Dudley and Snape thought Harry didn’t know.

 

The thought of playing Quidditch using the useless school brooms (Fred and George had given him more than enough stories about their quality to scare him) dampened Harry’s spirits for several days. He was used to second-hand things but things felt different. Flying was his thing and not Dudley’s, after all.

 

But when the package arrived, broom-shaped with an accompanying letter, Harry’s first thought wasn’t about how much easier flying would be but about how Dudley would react.

 

Dudley found him shortly after breakfast. Years of experience had taught Harry that Dudley would find him, no matter how hard he tried. His cousin may have been stupid academically but he had a sort of sneaking intelligence. Looking back at it, Harry wondered if Dudley’s magic had made it possible for Dudley to find him even at the most impossible hiding places.

 

“I want it!”


“What, Dudders?” Harry thought it better to play the fool to give him some time to think.

 

“Whatever you got, I want it!”
“It’s mine, Dudders, you can’t have it! And there’s no one here to make me give it to you!”

 

Dudley rushed forward and yanked the package from Harry’s hands. Harry grabbed at it, trying to get a good grip and take it back, but Dudley was faster and heavier than him. Harry toppled over but jumped to his feet again and ran to catch up with Dudley. It was HiS package, his gift, and Dudley wouldn’t take it from him.

 

He managed to trip Dudley who dropped the wrapped broom and Harry snatched it up. Dudley refused to give up and soon the two boys were on the ground in a heap of arms, legs and brown wrapping paper. Dudley was bigger but Harry was much more determined and for the first time they were equally matched in a fight. Harry had made up his mind. Dudley would not take this from him.

 

The boys could have gone on quite a while, or at least that’s what Harry felt, if they had not been interrupted by sharp footsteps on the stone floor. Soon a par of black leather boots came into Harry’s line of sight and he knew Snape was there.

To be continued...
Chapter End Notes:
As always, please review even though I'm a horribly slow writer.