Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

Hi, I'm Nightshade. I do not own anything Harry Potter.

IMPORTANT NOTE BELOW! READERS PLEASE READ! Thank you. :)

My story will begin after Lily has brought Harry to the Hogwarts express; Lily and Albus are in the middle of a meeting. And Harry is on the train and is worried about his mother. But guess who else is on the train...

--- 

Hi! I hope you enjoy the story. But i have to apologize, spelling and grammer are not my best strengths, so if and when i make some kind of error please forgive me. And I will greatly appreciate any constructive criticism anyone is willing to give. But please, nothing too mean.
Thank you! :)

Chapter one

"How could this have happened, Albus?" Lily demanded.

Dumbledore sighed. "The Ministry has been trying to get Harry for years Lily. You know this. So of course their going to do everything in their power to gain custody of him in the event that something should happen to you. Merlin forbid." Dumbledore laced his fingers together. "Now that Sirius Black is dead, you must find someone else to take care of Harry. I understand your first choice was Remus Lupin. But because of his...condition, the ministry has said no."

Lily got to her feet and paced. "The ministry shouldn't have a say on who I deem worthy to take care of my son!" Lily took a deep breath to calm herself. "I assume the ministry gave a list of recommendations."

"They did." Dumbledore took a piece of parchment out of his desk and read aloud. "The ministry recommends: the Malfoy family," Lily made a rude coughing noise. "The ministry itself."

"It will be a cold day in hell before I let Harry become a ward to the ministry!"

Dumbledore nodded. "And the last...the Dursley's."

"No." Lily sat down and crossed her arms and legs. "Harry will never go to the Malfoy's, Ministry, or my sister and her kin."

"I understand Lily. But the ministry isn't making this easy. Isn't there anyone else you trust enough for this job?"

Lily shook her head. "The only ones I'd really trust other than Remus is you, the Weasley's, Minerva and Poppy. But none of you can do the job."

"The Weasley's would be my first choice as well." Dumbledore said kindly. "But I agree with you. They have enough children of their own at the moment. And Minerva, myself, and Poppy are just too old." He went silent, deep in thought.

Lily broke the silence. "Albus, what about Sev?"

Dumbledore instantly shook his head. "The ministry would never allow him to, not with his past record. And what would happen when I need him to Spy again,"

Lily cut in. "Severus may not want to spy again. Should, God forbid, Voldemort return."

"After last year, Lily." Dumbledore said gravely. "Do you truly believe that Voldemort is gone?"

"No. But if I have to choose someone to take care of my son than Sev would be the one. The only reason I didn't choose him in the begining was because of his hatred of James, and his blindness towards Harry."

"I was getting to that point as well." Dumbledore interrupted. "Do you really think Severus would agree to take in your son? Perhapes he'd take the boy in because you are a dear friend of his, but would he treat Harry as if he were his own?"

Lily was silent for a moment. Would Sev take good care of her son? Or would his hatred for James blind him from truly seeing Harry, again? Lily wasn't ignorant of the fact that Severus Snape had so far treated Harry unfairly. But perhapes Lily could change that.

"Sev was once my dearest friend. I believe I can reason with him and get him to start to see Harry instead of James."

Dumbledore shook his head. "I can only say that I hope your right." he paused. "Severus is on the Hogwarts Express right now."

"Why?"

"There have been rumors; Death Eaters that escaped Azkaban will be attacking the train," Dumbledore began.

"WHAT?! And you just let us parents put our children on that train!" Lily was on her feet and was heading toward the door to find the Hogwarts Express, but Dumbledore stopped her.

"These rumors were not reliable. But as a precaution I placed several charms on the Express as well as teachers. You have nothing to fear Lily."

Lily didn't look convinced. Slowly she adjusted her cloak. "I'll deal with this Albus. Thank you for your assistance though."

Dumbledore nodded. "My door is always open to you. But i must ask you. How do you plan to make Severus see Harry?"

Lily smiled slightly. "I will simply request he get to know my son. He and Harry don't realize this, but they really do have a lot in common. We'll just simply have to help them see this."

Dumbledore laughed. "Good luck with that, my child."

Laughing as well, Lily left the office, heading toward St. Mungo's.

***

"I heard Snape's on the train." Ron said as he, Harry, and Hermione searched for an empty compartment.

"Great, just what we need." Harry mummbled.

"Honestly," Hermione snapped. "He's a teacher we shouldn't be..."

"Don't even start on the whole 'respect teacher's' lecture, Hermione." Ron said as they finally stopped at the last compartment.

"See is someone's in there." Harry said.

Ron looked inside and found Professor's Flitwick and Snape sitting inside. Flitwick looked like he had been about to take a nap, while Snape was reading a potions book.

At the sight of the trio, Flitwick smiled. "Hello Mister Weasley, Potter, Miss Granger. Are you looking for a compartment?" he asked kindly.

"Yes Professor. But we don't want to disturb you." Hermione said.

Snape glared and made a growling sort of noise. No doubt thinking there was no way they could possible not disturb him.

"Nonsense. Sit, sit." Flitwick motioned for them to come in.

Harry quickly took a seat far away from Snape. Hermione sat beside Flitwick; unfortunate for Ron, who now had to sit beside Snape.

"Did you children enjoy your holiday?" Their tiny teacher asked.

"It was alright." Ron said. Trying to somehow stay as far away from Snape as he could without making a scene.

"Enjoyable." Hermione said taking a book on transfiguration out.

Harry shrugged. In truth his summer had been strange. His mother had been going to the hospital alot. 'Having tests done,' she'd said. And she'd been acting funny lately too.

Realizing his teacher was still waiting for him to answer he said. "It was diffrent, but alright." Harry shrugged.

Hermione sensing something asked. "What do you mean Harry?"

Uncomfortable now, especially beacuse Snape was here, Harry said. "Mum's been going to the Hospital alot lately. Said she was having tests done. But she doesn't seem sick enough to have to have tests done."

"You'r mother's been ill?" Snape spoke softly, speaking for the first time. And, surprisingly, there was no malice in his voice or features.

Harry nodded. He really didn't want to talk about it. Not with his friends and certainly not with Snape.

Flitwick seemed to notice Harry's discomfort for he quickly began a conversation with Hermione about his essay that he had assigned.

"Do you want to play wizard's chess?" Ron asked.

Glad for a distration Harry smiled and said, " Sure."

As the train ride went on Harry noticed that Snape didn't make one cruel remark to him and that he looked...worried? And for the life of him Harry could not figure out why.

Harry also never noticed the pair of black eyes studying him, perhapes really studying him, for the first time.

Chapter End Notes:
Sorry for any spelling or grammer errors. Please review.