Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Here is number 2!
Chapter two

'Lily's ill!' No matter how hard he tried, Severus simply could not wrap his mind around it. Ever since he and Lily had been small children they'd been friends. And never, not even in his wildest dreams, had he ever thought Lily would get sick.

'But she may not be.' Severus thought to himself. 'Potter only said she had been having tests done. That doesn't mean she's...' Severus couldn't even bring himself to think the word.

Without anyone's notice, he continued to watch the boy. He seemed very troubled, at least to the former spy. To everyone else in the compartment the Potter boy appeared normal.

'Perhaps I'll write to Lily. There's no harm in checking in on an old friend.' Severus told himself. Trying to convince himself that Lily was perfectly fine, and that he had not seen a glimpse of his best friend and secret love of his life in Potter's son.

'But he's Lily's son too.' a voice nagged in the back Severus' head.

Glaring slightly, Snape shook his head to rid himself of further thoughts of the Potter brat.

Standing, Snape exited the train with Flitwick, determined to speak to Dumbledore and find out how much he knew about Lily.

***

"Did you guys notice that Snape didn't say one word to me?" Harry asked as the sorting ended.

"No." Ron started piling food onto his plate.

"Yes actually." Hermione had a thoughtfull look. "I also noticed that he seemed concerned when you mentioned your mom."

Harry shrugged, though inside he was reeling. Why would Snape care about his mom? Well, he knew how to find out. "Yeah, I did notice."

"Wonder what that was about." Ron said suddenly.

"Huh?" Both Harry and Hermione were confused.

"Snape was just talking to Dumbledore, and by the looks of it Snape is not happy." Ron swallowed his food. "He just stormed out."

Harry looked up at the head table, and sure enough, Snape's seat was empty. And Dumbledore was shaking his head slightly.

"I can already tell this year is not going to be normal." Hermione sighed.

Harry nodded. "I'm going up early. I told my mom I'd write to her tonight."

"And," Hermione wasn't dumb. She knew Harry was hiding something.

"And I really don't want to talk about 'it' right now." Harry started to rise.

"Mate, you know you can tell us anything, right?" Ron said quietly. Not wanting to draw anyones attention.

Hermione nodded in agreement. "Yes, Harry. You can always talk to us." She paused, uncertain. "Even about your mother."

Harry completely stood now. "Thanks. But I don't want to talk about it. Please understand guys." Before either Ron or Hermione could say another word Harry was heading toward the owlery.

But Harry wasn't the only one who had planned to visit the owlery before bed, however.

Severus Snape briskly headed down the owlery steps, having just owled his own message.

Seeing Harry, he sneered. "Potter. Shouldn't you be down at the feast?"

Glaring at his potions teacher Harry answered. "No sir."

Eyes narrowed Snape decided to leave Harry alone. For now. Robes billowing he headed back to his dungeons.

Leaving Harry slightly confused. Snape never missed an opportunity to take points or insult him. Wierd. Finally reaching the owlery Harry took out a piece of paper and a pen. He wrote,

Mom, how did the tests go? I know you got your results today. Please tell me the truth. Even if its bad. Ron and Hermione said hello. Harry paused. Should he ask?... Yes. He had to know. Mom... Snape knows you've been having tests done and that you might be sick. Please don't ask me how he found out, at the moment its not important. But when he found out he seemed...worried, I think. Can you explain that? I hope you're ok. I love you alot. Please write back soon, even to just say hi. Lots of LOVE, Harry. XOXOXO!

As he reread his letter Harry called his owl, Hedwig, over. "Give this to mom. Ok girl?"

Sensing her masters saddness and anxiety, Hedwig affectionately nipped Harry's finger.

Smiling dispite his worries, Harry lovingly stroaked her feathers. "Thanks girl. Fly safely."

Without hesitation Hedwig took flight. Not knowing another owl was ahead of her, barring a letter to Lily Potter as well.

Chapter End Notes:
I hope you all like this chapter. Its not ment to be anything BIG. But it is supposed to help get the story really going. Sorry if it was boring. And again, sorry for any errors made.
Thanks:)