Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi everyone! I'm very happy people are liking the story so far. I'm also warning you ahead of time; I'm literally hopeless with computers and what not so if I somehow mess up chapter orders(again) or have a chapter repeated, please forgive me and I'll try to fix it. A big thanks to Jan for fixing it. And again sorry incase it happens in the future.
On with the story!
Chapter three

Lily was sitting in her favorite armchair thinking, 'What am I going to tell Harry?' when two owls knocked at her window.

"Hedwig? And whose this with you?" Hedwig cooed and gently landed on Lily's shoulder. The black owl eyed Hedwig with distrust, obviously used to bigger birds.

"So this ones from Harry," Lily placed her son's letter down on the desk. "Now who do we have here?" Gently Lily strocked the black owl and untied the letter from his leg. "Well, well, well. Severus Snape. Now what could my old friend have to say, I wonder?" Sitting herself back down in her chair, Lily read,

Lily,

I know it has been a long time since we have spoken...I still consider you a dear friend. Not one to beat around the bush, as the muggles say, I have recently discovered certain...facts, that I wish to discuss with you. Please don't misunderstand my intentions. I only wish to help. If you'll let me, and if I can in anyway. Perhaps we could meet?

Hoping this letter finds you well, SS

Lily sighed. How did Severus find out? Or was he talking about something she didn't know?

Slowly she opened Harry's letter, which both brought tears to her eyes and confirmed her earlier thoughts. Sev knew she may be ill. And Harry...her smart little Harry, suspected as much too.

"What am I going to do Hedwig?" she asked the owl. "I'm going to have to act fast... time is not on my side anymore."

***

Severus Snape was sitting in his sitting room, reading a Potions text (of course!) when he heard a knock on his door. Without hesitating, he pulled out his wand and readied himself for a fight. After years of being a spy, he never took any chances.

However, he was not prepared for who was waiting for him outside his door.

Hidden beneath a black cloak, hood over her face, stood Lily Potter nee Evans. "Hello Sev. Sorry to just pop in like this... but we need to talk. Now. If you have the time."

Still startled that Lily was standing infront of him, Severus nodded and stepped aside to allow her entrance. "I must say I am surprised." he said once he got over his shock. "I only wrote to you a few hours ago."

Lowering her hood Lily said, "Yes. But I had already planned to pay you a visit. You see...I have a problem Severus."

Knowing, by his friend's use of his full name, that she was serious. He said. "Have a seat."

Once both were seated Lily began. "You were not the only one who wrote to me tonight, Severus. Harry also wrote to me. Can you guess what he said?"

Glarring slightly Severus said sternly. "I haven't so much a taken a point from Potter..." yet.

"I'm not here to discuss your treatment of my son. Not now anyway. And his name is Harry, Sev. Not Potter." Lily closed her eyes. Severus wasn't making this easy for her. And at the moment she was exhausted.

Sensing her discomfort, Severus bowed his head. "I apologize Lily. I didn't mean to upset you."

"I know Sev." Lily said weakly. Slowly she opened her eyes. "Before I continue with my main reason for coming here I need to talk to you about Harry."

Severus suppressed the urge to roll his eyes and sneer. "What about him?"

Lily raised an eyebrow. "Don't give me that attitude Severus Tobias Snape. You and I both know your treatment of him is completely childish, petty, and unfair." Lily took a deep breath. "The matters I wish to speak to you about cannot be done unless I know you'll keep an open mind and that you'll act maturely. Can you do this? Please."

Severus, for a moment had had every intention of telling her no. That he refused to talk about the Potter brat. But that voice in the back of his head spoke again, determinedly. 'He's also LILY'S son! Lily clearly loves him. Maybe your wrong. Besides... would Lily, our Lily, really raise the boy to be a brat?'

Sighing in defeat, Severus said calmly. "What is it you wish to discuss, Lily? I assume whatever your son wrote in his letter was important. Otherwise you wouldn't have brought it up."

Knowing that was all the answer she was going to get out of her Slytherin friend, Lily nodded. "He wrote that you know about me possible being ill. And your letter gave me the impression that you know as well. Was that what you ment?"

"Yes. I didn't mean to pry into your personal business, Lily. I was just...concerned." Even to Lily, whom he had known most of his life, it was hard to express himself.

Smiling slightly, Lily said gently. "Thank you Sev. You are a good friend." Straitening up. "Severus, what I'm about to tell you I want you to keep to yourself. I'll tell anyone else if and when I want to." Taking a deep calming breath; Severus could tell Lily was nervous, and possible...afraid?

"I'm dying Sev." Lily's voice was sad and soft.

Severus instantly was on his feet. He didn't know why but he simply couldn't just sit there...but standing wasn't much better.

"Sev," Lily pleaded. "Please sit down."

Without speaking, and not taking his eyes off of her face he sat and waited for her to continue.

"I have cancer, specifically, Leukemia." Before Severus could open his mouth Lily held up her hands and said. "I know its a muggle disease. The Healers couldn't tell me how I got it. Seeing as its a rare thing, a witch or wizard getting a muggle disease like this.

"Two months ago I found out I might be ill. As Harry told you, I've been in and out of the Hospital having tests done to find out what I have. Today I found out."

"Oh Lily." Severus didn't know what to say. "Are there any potions, or muggle drugs?"

"You know not all muggle medicine can be used on us Sev. As for potions... there is no cure Sev, magic or non." Lily's green eyes were no longer bright, only sad and dull. "The only real thing that can help me is chemo. And..."

"Its DEADLY!" Severus looked frightened now. "Lily, you know the chances for witches and wizards to die using that...filth." Severus held up his hands, much like Lily had before. "I'm not saying anything against muggles, but you have to admit most, if not all, of their products are lethal to us."

Eyes narrowed slightly, Lily snapped. "I know Severus! But what other choice do I have? I can't leave Harry completely defenceless." Tears starting to fall now, Lily continued softly. "I don't know if you know this; for years the ministry has been trying to take Harry away from me. They want to use him...use him as a weapon and for publicity. They think just because he survived Voldemort's," she ignored Severus's flinch at the sound of the name. "attack as a baby that he can survive anything. I know better. Yes, someday he will be a powerful wizard. But he is still human, he's still a child."

Lily stopped. Tears continued to flow unchecked down her cheeks. "I don't know what to do Sev. I know you hated James. And though you try to deny it, I also know you never really forgave me for marrying him. But Harry isn't James. He's Harry. He's not just James' son. He's my son!" For the first time since she began crying Lily looked into Severus Snape's eyes. "Please Sev... please help me take care of my son. Help me find a way to protect him. And help me find a way to survive." Lily stood and knelt down before her best friend. "Severus, my friend. Please, I beg you. Look past Harry's appearance and see my son. Please."

Severus, pride be damned, helped Lily stand. "Lily... You know I'll help you. But I can't untill you are calm. So sit down and I'll get us some tea." Turning away from her he threw some floo powder into the fire. "Two cups of tea. Severus Snape's rooms." Instantly a tray of tea appeared on the table.

"Here."

Lily shakily took the cup and tried to compose herself. "I'm sorry Severus. I never intended to break down like that."

Sipping his own tea, he replied, in what he hoped was a calm voice. "Its understandable Lily. You're going through a life changing thing right now. And naturally you're concerned about your son." Blushing slightly, for he wasn't used to comforting people. Let alone strong, always-knowing-what-to-do, Lily.

Lily nodded sadly. "The ministry refuses to let me have Remus as Harry's Godfather. And now that Sirius is gone I need to find someone soon." Looking up at Severus she said. "The ministry kindly," this was said sarcastically and with bitterness. "recommended the Malfoy's, the Ministry itself, and Petunia."

It took everything Severus had not to laugh. As if Lily would ever allow her son to go to any of those places. "How thoughtfull of them. I suppose you have ideas for your son's new godparent(s)."

Lily looked tired and worried now. "Yes, actually I do have one person in mind."

Severus raised an eyebrow. Wondering who the unlucky...oops. Lucky person was.

"You."

Chapter End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Sorry Harry wasn't in this one. He'll be in the next though.