Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi! Sorry its been so long. But life got in the way. I hope you all enjoy this chapter.
Chapter four

For a moment Severus didn’t know what to do or say. So, he merely stared.

Lily patiently waited for her words to sink into her shocked friend.

One second…

Two seconds…

Three seconds… That’s it!

“WHAT?” Severus leaped to his feet and started pacing. “Lily. Do you even know what you’re saying? Me. Godfather of…”

Standing, Lily crossed her arms over her chest. “Yes Severus, I know what I just said. I said I would like you, Severus Snape, to be godfather of my son. Harry. James wanted Sirius to be godfather. I, I had my doubts.” Lily sighed.

Severus snorted.

Eyes narrowing, Lily continued. “Sirius was more like an older brother. I need someone who will be like a parent for Harry.”

Severus cut her off coolly “Lily. Before you continue, think about what you’re asking and saying. Think about the past as well, while you’re at it. I have never been kind to Pot-Harry,” he corrected when Lily glared. “Never mind paternal. So, put simply my friend…Have you lost your mind?”

Lily lost all patience now. “Severus Tobias Snape. You listen and you listen well. Harry James Potter is not James Potter! He is mine and James’ son! If you can give me one good reason for your dislike for him, I’ll let the matter drop and never bring it up to you again. If not, you will sit there and listen to what I have to say. Agreed?”

Severus glared. He really didn’t want to have this discussion. Of all things for Lily to ask. No, scratch that. Want. She had technically not asked him. Yet.

‘Oh yes she did.’ a small voice snapped at Severus.

‘Shut up!’ Severus snapped at himself.

“I’m waiting.” Lily said.

“Fine! Here are my reasons: He’s a natural rule breaker,”

“All twelve year olds are. You were.”

“He’s arrogant, foolhardy,” Severus continued.

“Severus!” Lily shook her head. “I asked you to tell me why you don’t like my son. Not describe to me how James was as a young child. Now honestly; why do you dislike my son? Why do dislike Harry.” Lily waited. Praying that perhaps she had really gotten through to her stubborn friend.

Severus stared at the witch before him. How she ever managed to remain strong and calm throughout this evening he’d never know. As he stared at her. Severus allowed, for the first time ever, his thoughts to wonder. He honestly couldn’t come up with a reason to dislike the boy. For years the mere fact that he was James Potter’s son had been enough for him. But now…?

‘Do you really even know the boy?’ the voice inside his head said smugly.

‘No.’ Severus thought. ‘Now leave me alone.’

‘Can’t. I’m you. Remember?’ the voice laughed.Shaking his head Severus sighed. “I’ll try to…be nicer to him.”Lily raised an eyebrow. “Thank you Sev. You don’t realize it now, but you two really are a lot alike. Who knows, you may actually like him.” Lily smirked.

“I highly doubt that. Mrs. Potter.” Severus smirked slightly. “Not that I don’t like your company Lily. But I do have classes tomorrow. Shall we continue this discussion another time?”

Standing Lily nodded. “Perhaps next weekend? That’ll give you time to try and get to know Harry.”

“Lily, please bear in mind I have a part to play. My Slytherin’s will notice immediately if I suddenly start being…less strict, to your son. Do you by chance have a solution for this problem?”

Lily laughed and nodded. “Harry does actually enjoy potions Sev. I personally think though his grade could be better. I have written to him that his A- needs to be raised to at least an E. Normally I wouldn’t nag at him about it seeing as A- is passing, but I know he can do better. So he will be getting a letter that you will be tutoring him in potions. For your image you may call it Remedial potions.”

Severus raised an eyebrow. “Are you sure you weren’t supposed to be in Slytherin?”

Lily laughed a little. “Yes Sev. I am a Gryffindor.”

Noticing his friend’s tiredness, Severus stood. “Don’t worry Lily, we’ll get through this. You know I’ll do anything and everything I can, and that if you ever need anything, you can come to me, don’t you?”

“Yes Sev, thank you so much.” Lily hugged Severus quickly then she pulled her hood up. “Expect Harry at 8:00 tomorrow night.” Lily opened the door and started to slip away, but then stopped. “Sev, you may not believe me now, but I believe one day you will thank me for this.”

“I highly doubt that Lils, but like I said, I will try.”

“That’s all I can ask for”

****

Harry stared in shock and dismay at the letter he had just received from his mother. 'She wants me to what!'

Sensing her friends discomfort Hermione asked. "What wrong, Harry?"

Hands numb, Harry handed the letter over the his friends.

"She wants you to what?" Ron all but shouted.

Harry glared. Hermione elbowed him.

"Shout louder why don't you?" Harry snapped under his breath.

"Sorry." Ron shook his head as if in denial. "Has your mom lost her mind though?"

"I think so."

Hermione rolled her eys. "There is nothing wrong with Harry's mom wanting him to do better in potions. I mean think about it; Harry is more than able to brew a decent potion. He could get an E in potions easily."

Ron snorted. "No offense Hermione, but Harry could get an O if he wanted too. His mother has been teaching him potions since he was three. Maybe younger."

"I'm not that good." Harry said.

"But you are more than capable of getting E or more." Hermione insisted.

"Yeah, I guess." Harry sighed. "But Snape." Harry suddenly lost his appetite.

Hermione shook her head. "If your that depressed about it, why don't you have Professor Lockhart tutor you? I'm sure your mother wouldn't mind."

"NO! Please oh please Hermione, don't tell me you actually believe that shite he sells?" Harry begged.

Hermione glared. "He is a great wizard. Look at all the amazing things he's done. I bet you haven't even read his books." Hermione accused.

Harry smirked and said easily. "Nope. I didn't even buy them. Waste of money my mum say's and I agree with her. Lockhart is a liar and a cheat. Nothing more. Unless you want to include scum." 

Ron snorted, spilling his juice.

"Your wrong." Hermione said sternly; she was blushing something awfull now.

"I'm not going to argue with you Hermione. Thats just what I think, deal with it."

 ***

For the rest of the day Hermione acted as if she had a rock in her shoe. She honestly believed that Ron and Harry were wrong. Well they'd find out soon wouldn't they? Right after breakfast they had DADA.

"Let me introduce you to your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher; me. Gilderoy Lockhart. Order of Merlin, Third Class. And five times winner if Witch Weekly's most charming smile." Lockhart smiled brightly at the students.

Harry wanted to puke. Preferably on Lockhart.

"But enough about that, I didn't get rid of the Bandon Banshee by smiling at her,"

"I bet he didn't do it at all." Harry mouthed to Ron.

Ron snorted. 

Seamus snickered from behind.

"I think a pop quiz is in order. Lets see how much you all remember from my books."

Harry leaned back in his seat and waited for the class to finish.

"Mr. Potter, have you finnished already?"

"No sir. I'm not doing it. I did not read or buy any of your books. Therefore I can't take the quiz. Sorry." Harry hoped he had at least sounded somewhat respectful.

"Didn't buy my books?" Lockhart looked shocked. As if the thought of someone not buying his books was unimaginable.

"Yes sir."

"Well, I'm sure your friends will lend you theirs after class."

Harry nodded though he had no intention of ever reading those books.

As the class went on things just went from bad to worse...to worse.

 After the 'pop quiz' Lockhart made them each read a chapter aloud from his book Holidays with Hags. And when they came to a quote from him, he made them do voices, 'to make them feel like they were really there' he'd said. But then, the utter idiot, let loose at least 50 Cornish pixies. And then he ditched leaving Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Neville to catch them and put them back in their cage. 

"I hate him." Harry said sternly as they headed for Snapes classroom. They were late for Potions.

"He just wanted to give us some hands on experience." Hermione insisted.

"Hands on!" Ron shouted. "Hermione the idiot didn't know what the hell he was doing!"

"He..." Hermione snaped.

"Shouting in the halls are we?" a cold voice said from the potions classroom door way.

Snape eyed the four students with a sneer on his face. "Ten points from Gryffindor."

Ron said angrily, "It was Lockhart's fault..."

"Five more points for arguing with a teacher. Now get inside before I decide to take more points as well as asign detentions." Snape stepped aside so they could enter.

***

After a usual day of Potions class; Snape sneering, taking points, giving detentions Harry sighed in relief when the bell rang.

"Potter. Don't forgett you have Remedial Potions. 8:00 sharp, or points won't be the only thing you'll have to worry about." Snape sneered.

Harry glared and said, in what he hoped was a calm voice. "Yes sir."

Snape nodded and ignored the Slytherin's laughter. Tonight would be interesting.   

To be continued...
Chapter End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed it. Please Review.