Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi! I'm so sorry about how the song came out. I'm trying to fix it. So hopefully it will be readable soon. Again sorry.
Ten Year Latter: Friendship Like No Other

Alex stood beside his Master while children entered the train to go to Hogwarts. Today was the day all of his training would be tested.

"Remember, Dumbledore is your enemy. No matter how powerful he seems." Nyssa said, never taking her eyes off of the train.

"Yes ma'am." Alex said obidently.

"And one more thing." Nyssa did look at him now. "For years I have called you Alex, however as you know, that is not your birth name."

Alex remained silent. His master never allowed him to be disrepectfull. He had learned that early in his childhood.

"Dumbledore is a powerful Occlumens. If your shield so much as wavers, he can discover your true identity. That simply cannot happen. Clear."

Alex nodded. Nyssa had beaten the fact that his true identity must remain a secret, even to him, long ago.

Nyssa stared intently at her apprentice. "I'll expect you to be in Slytherin."

"Yes, master." Alex really wanted to leave now.

Nyssa nodded. It was time. "Go. And do not fail."

Alex bowed slightly to Nyssa and then headed toward the train. Grateful to be away from the woman who was the closest thing he'd ever had to a mother.

***

Dumbledore was rereading the first year student list when Severus Snape entered the room.

"You wished to see me headmaster."

"Yes Severus. There are two matters I wish to speak to you about." Dumbledore stood. "Professor Quirell has returned this year. And he seems a bit...off."

Snape raised an eyebrow. "This concerns me why, headmaster?"

"I would like you to keep an eye on him for me."

Snape nodded. "And the second matter you wished to speak to me about?"

Dumbledore lifted the student list and read aloud. "Alex Night. Does that name sound familiar?"

Snape glared. "My sister didn't have a child. Her husband died thirteen years ago. And,"

"How do you know she didn't have a child? Have you spoken with her since Voldemort's disappearance?"

"No, but,"

"Well then, that settles matters. It is of no matter though; I took the liberty of looking into young Mr. Night's past and discovered very little. But what I did find out though was that you sister, infact, apprenticed him. And he is most likely not her child."

"Apprenticed?" Snape shook his head. "Albus, Nyssa hated children. She had no desire to mother one or apprentice one."

"Well, we'll simple have to ask Mr. Night about his background. But I would like you to watch him. Something about him didn't seem right to me."

"You've already met the boy?"

"Yes. I had to hand deliver his letter, so we met at the leaky cauldron. He gave off a powerful aura. There is little doubt in my mind that young Alex Night will become a powerful wizard."

Snape glared. "If your crazy theory that my sister raised this boy is true, then he will without a doubt become a dark wizard."

"Perhaps. Then again..." Dumbldore looked out his window. "But do keep an eye on him and Quirell as well."

***

Alex opened his eyes when a girl shyly opened the door. "I'm sorry, may I sit here? Everywhere else is full."

For a moment Alex wanted to say no. Its what Nyssa would have wanted him to do. But a part of him wondered what it would be like to have a friend.

"Sure." Alex said qiuetly.

Smiling the girl sat down. "I'm Stevie Jones."

"Alex Night."

Stevie shook his hand. "I'm so exited about going to Hogwarts. I wonder what house I'll be in?"

"What house were your parents in?" Alex asked, for it was common knowledge that most people got sorted into the house their parents, or at least one of their parents were in.

Stevie looked nervous now. "I'm, I'm a muggleborn." Stevie hunched up her shoulders as if she expected Alex to hurt her or say something cruel.

And truth be told; Nyssa would have had Alex calling her a mudblood or hexing her by now. But Alex didn't want to. He'd never agreed with his master on the topic of muggles and muggleborns. And so far, he liked Stevie Jones. She seemed nice.

"I don't know what I am?" Alex said.

At Stevie's questioning look Alex continued. "My parents abandoned me when I was small. I don't even know my real name. My...mentor, was the one who told me about magic."

"Mentor? You mean your like a student?"

"Yeah. All of my life I've studdied magic." Alex didn't care that he was revealing secrets. He felt something about Stevie. And somehow he knew she would protect his secrets.

Stevie must have sensed something too. Because she stood and sat down beside Alex and started telling him all about her life. How her mother died because her abusive Father had been angry. About how she was now living with her kind grandparents. Everything.

Alex just hoped someday he could tell Stevie all of his secrets.

As the journey continued Stevie and Alex got close and it was easy to tell that they'd be great friends. It was when they seemed to notice this a comotion was heard outside their compartment.

Three sixth year Gryffindors were bullying a first year boy with white blonde hair.

Alex felt something inside him break.

"Leave him alone!" Alex stomped over to them and helped the boy up. Whom was blushing pink.

"This has nothing to do with you kid." One boy said darkly while glarring at the blonde boy.

"Leave him alone. Or are you really as much of a coward as you all look?" The boys looked outraged. Alex continued. "Not only are you sixth years, but you also out number him. That seems pretty cowardly to me."

"Yeah?" another boy snapped. "We out number you too. How do you plan to stop us from messing with you too?"

"Well," Stevie stepped up beside Alex. "Now we're even."

The six young wizards stared at one and other.

The sixth years raised their wands, Alex raised his hands and silently thought. "Locomotor Mortis!"

Instantly the three older students stiffened and fell to the ground.

"Have a good day." Alex took the blonde boy's hand and led him back to Stevie and his compartment.

"Are you ok?" Stevie asked.

"Yeah." The boy stared at Alex and Stevie with distrust in his eyes.

"I'm Alex Night. This is my friend Stevie Jones."

The boy ran a hand through his blonde hair and said easily. "I'm Draco Malfoy."

Alex raised an eyebrow. There was something about this boy too. Not as storng as Stevie's feeling was. But this boy, Draco. He had a...something about him too. Thinking, what the hell? Alex said for the second time that day and for the second time in his life. "Want to be friends?"

Draco starred at Alex's hand. Then at Stevie. Slowly, uncertainly, Draco smiled and took the extended hand and said. "Alright."

At that moment Alex, Stevie, and Draco felt whole.

This was going to be a friendship like no other.

To be continued...