Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Oh my god, this update has taken forever. But here it finally is, I hope you all enjoy!

Previously on Filling the Void:

Watery eyes met his own. “It’s not that I’m not grateful, and that I don’t want this so so much. It’s just that I thought, I mean, I thought maybe--”

“You thought?” He prompted.

“They never did want me, did they?”

He couldn’t help himself, he pulled his ward into a tight embrace.
Chapter 3

No one could say he hadn’t made a valiant effort to ignore the floo, that much was certain. But Albus Dumbledore was not a man to be ignored, even by someone as unsociable as Severus. Giving in with a sigh he turned his head marginally towards the fireplace and asked, “What?”

“Severus my boy, may I floo through?”

Despite suspecting that the man had worded it that way just to have it rhyme, he grunted his consent. Or something approximating it, anyway. He didn’t hear the headmaster actually step into the room; but then you wouldn’t. The man moved like his feet didn’t touch the ground. So he was somewhat surprised when the older man came to a stop at his side with a solid thump from his walking stick.

“Severus, are you feeling quite well?”

The question surprised him, and he cracked an eyelid to peer at the headmaster. “I am perfectly fine, why do you ask?”

“Well, it’s just that I don’t believe I have ever seen you draped across a chesterfield before.”

“I have never been the exhausted guardian of an emotionally distraught boy-legend before.”

In his peripheral vision Snape saw Dumbledore settle into an armchair. Not a short visit then.

“Life with Harry is as interesting as ever, I presume?”

“Interesting. That would be one word for it.”

“Well, your secret is safe with me, Severus.”

That managed to propel him into a sitting position. He shouldn’t fall into the old man’s traps like this. Certainly not after all this time. And yet -- “My secret?”

“That you enjoy it, having Harry with you.”

“Yes, as you can see I am positively giddy. My pseudo-parenting joy is outweighed only by my complete incompetence at the task.”

“I don’t believe Harry thinks you’re incompetent.”

“And he’s had such good parental role models in the past that he would recognize incompetence when he saw it.”

“Which brings me to ask: how is Harry?”

“Confusing.” The headmaster actually laughed, which for some reason raised Severus’ hackles. “I’m completely serious.”

“I have no doubt that you are.”

“Surely you did not come here solely to laugh at me, so do get on with it.”

“I had some further questions regarding your retrieval of the stone. This seemed an opportune moment. The amusement is simply an added bonus.”

“I thought we’d already discussed the pertinent facts.”

“As did I, however Quirrell’s body was brought up. He had some curious injuries.”

“You don’t say?”

“Curious injuries indeed.”

“Ask your question, Albus.”

“I plan to, however --” he flicked his eyes towards the doorway of the room, and Severus saw the warning there.

“I am well aware of that. Ask your question.”

“How did he die, Severus?”

“I killed him. I believe Poppy would classify it as ‘Blunt Force Trauma to the Head’.”

“And before that?” He could hear the gravity in Dumbledore’s voice. It made him shiver, but he would not lie. He had no regrets.

“I believe the Cruciatus may have been incanted.”

Silence hung heavily between them. He thought he headmaster would say something, but he did not. Severus would almost rather hear of his disappointment than bear this...nothing. Finally his defensiveness burst out of him. “He threatened the boy, and I will not have it!”

“And yet the Dursley’s live?”

“Because I needed their signature.”

“And because you knew their deaths would hurt the child.”

“And that.” He quietly admitted.

Albus gave a serene smile then, and Snape felt his spine relax. “Harry is lucky to have such a formidable champion as you on his side.”

“He could do a thousand times better than m--” but his protest was cut off.

“Besides his threats, did Quirrell say anything else? Last words, perhaps?”

It was on his lips to say ‘No’ – the truth of the matter was that Quirrell was in no shape to speak at all at that juncture, even if he’d wanted to – when Severus stopped himself. Instead he looked up at the Headmaster and smirked, replying,

“He did mention regrets. Said something about how he wished he’d never eavesdropped on the conversation of his elders when he was a boy. That maybe his fate could have been avoided if he hadn’t taken to lurking in hallways.”

Sure enough, there was a muffled squeak, and then the hurried patter of feet back towards Harry’s bedroom.

“Now Severus, was that really necessary?” Albus asked with a matching smirk.

“No, but then you’re not the only one with a strange sense of humour. Harry!” he called. “Come in here.”

When the boy appeared in the doorway seconds later, he had at least the grace to look embarrassed. And as was usual when he was feeling awkward, Harry hovered hummingbird-like in the doorway.

“Well, come in. You’ve heard your fill I presume?”

Harry blushed red, but nodded. “Yes sir.”

“Hello, Harry. How have you been?”

If he hadn’t been listening to the two men talk, Harry might not have noticed the headmaster at all. He was too busy trying to decipher the look on Profess – his fath – or was guardian more the proper word? Oh hell, he couldn’t even figure out what to call the man in his own thoughts!

“Harry!”

Blinking hard, the room came back into focus, and both Professors were looking at him.

“Huh?”

Snape sighed. “It seems I have my job cut out for me when it comes to teaching you some etiquette. 3 things, and pay attention now. First, don’t say ‘huh’, if you want something repeated you say ‘I beg your pardon?’ Second, you are not to eavesdrop on my conversations again. This one in particular was not meant for 11 year old children. Talking about what happened when I went down to retrieve that stone is a rather macabre topic, Harry. You should not have listened, particularly given your tendency towards night terrors.”

“I don’t have a tendency towards night whatevers!” This was embarrassing. Did the man really have to basically call him a baby right in front of the headmaster? The second his protest had been made, however, the professor fixed a look on him that made Harry squirm. Or at least it would have, had he not been determined to act his age.

“Do you truly insist on starting this argument about what you do in the middle of the night? Because I thought we’d gone through this already today, and I trust you remember how that ended? I assure you that I have no desire to re-live the experience.”

Reflexively his hand fisted and came to his chest, even though he said the words out loud.

“I’m sorry!” He hated the way his voice cracked, and how defensive the words came out. “I know I wake you up and I’ll try not to have any more bad dreams. Or have them quietly anyway.”

Snape grabbed his hands, quieting both his signs and his words. “’Harry, you’re missing the point. You can’t help the fact that you have nightmares, and I do not want you to apologize for them or try to hide them from me. I simply do not wish you to hear things that may frighten you.”

“I won’t be --” But he shut his mouth rather quickly when Snape pressed a finger against his lips.

“Hush. What’s done is done; you’ve heard it all regardless. And there is still our 3rd point of etiquette.”

Harry had to close his eyes and shake his head to remove his confusion. How did they get back to this? “Huh? I mean – I beg your pardon?” He tried to hide his pleasure when Snape noticed his effort and smiled.

“Good boy. But you still haven’t greeted the Headmaster. He asked you how you were doing.”

Oh. For the second time in as many minutes he had needed to be reminded of the old wizard’s presence. Turning from his guardian he grinned at the headmaster, though he suddenly felt very shy. He had no idea how to interact with the man outside of school, particularly in light of all that had passed between them the previous year.

It seemed that the last few times he had seen the man he’d acted like, well, like a freak. The man had seen him cry and scream and hit and call Snape ‘Daddy’. Shyness washed over him, and he found himself stepping unconsciously closer to his father. “ ‘lo Professor Dumbledore. I’m fine thank you. And yourself?”

A delighted smile lit up Dumbledore’s face. “I am very well thank you for asking. I trust you are settling in well here?”

“Oh yes sir! I have my own room with a bed and dresser and everything? Oh! And wait here, I have to show you!”

In seconds he came bounding back, papers held delicately out to show Dumbledore. But the man seemed to actually be reading the whole thing. That would take way too long!

“They’re guardianship papers! Professor Snape is my guardian now!”

“That is a very exciting turn of events. I am very pleased for you. And for Severus.” A look passed between the two men that Harry didn’t quite get, but he didn’t really care. He was too excited about sharing his news.

“Me too! This means I get to stay here and no one can take me away and this’ll be my home too unless Professor tells me to go --”

“Harry I believe we discussed that--”

“Oh right, but he says he’s not gonna do that so I’ll be here with him till I’m really old, like till I’m 35!”

“Harry, take a breath please. I think perhaps you are overtired. Why don’t you take those papers back to your room and get into bed?”

“But it’s still early, and the headmaster is visiting...”

“You have had a long week.”

“I’ll be really quiet, I promise. Can’t I stay sir, please.”

“Keep that up and I’ll have to change your name to Oliver Twist.”

“Huh? I mean, pardon?”

“Nevermind. Go put on your robe and slippers and then you may return.”

“Thank you sir!” And then once again the two wizards heard the sound of bare feet running through the hall.

Severus watched the boy go, purposefully avoiding Dumbledore’s gaze. He didn’t need to look into those blue eyes to know how much they’d be twinkling in that annoying fashion the old man had. But of course avoiding his mentor’s eyes didn’t stop the man from speaking.

“You have changed, Severus.”

“Oh spare me the butterflies and rainbows, Albus, it’s been a week since you saw me last.”

“Be that as it may, something has solidified between you and Harry. You seem to have grown into your title.”

“Oh for pity’s sake--” Severus gave his best sneer, but he feared he was out of practice. Best to work on that.

Before either could continue, a loud crash was heard from the direction of Harry’s room, followed by a quiet groan. Severus snapped to his feet in reaction, heading quickly towards the noise. Before leaving the room, however, he turned back towards Dumbledore with a warning.

“Don’t even think about saying it, old man!”

As he rushed towards Harry, he heard the sound of Albus’ heartfelt laughter trailing behind him.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks in advance for your reviews!