Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
small CHANGE IN TIMELINE.
I've decided that instead of mid-May, this story takes place in late April.
Canon: Harry invaded Snape pensieve on Monday, April 8.
My story: Monday, April 22th.th
I wonder how many of you figured out the anagram of JK Rowling......
Interlude

Interlude

A profession in teaching was not at all what Severus Snape imagine himself doing. But given the circumstances of his life, he had little choice. Severus did not think he would enjoy teaching the bunch of brainless misfits that Hogwarts continued to produce year after year. He did not like Hogwarts in general. As a student, his time at the school were spent in isolation, in his room, the potions lab or the library. He was constantly tormented, bullied and pushed around. He had few friends, like Lucius and Bellatrix, but both graduated when he was in second year.

Severus had no wish to return to Hogwarts after graduation.

But life had plans for him yet.

His first year on the Hogwarts staff turned out not to be wholly unpleasant. In fact, Severus found that teaching could be rewarding, albeit frustrating. It had its setbacks, but it had its moments as well. To see his pupils excel was satisfying, and to watch the next potions prodigy grow under his wing was more rewarding than he could have imagined.

He grew attached to his Slytherins to a level, and favoured them to the extreme. But not without reason. Slytherin was the least popular house amongst the students, even the staff though they would never admit it. The Slytherins needed all the help they could get.

Severus clung to the hope that at least one or two of the graduates each year from amongst the hundreds of dunderheads would go on to do something worthy of themselves. Just so that he could take comfort in the fact that all his work would have been a total waste. One of the most frustrating elements of his job was watching his students dismiss potions like it was no more important than last week's news clippings. Potions was his life, and was too under appreciated amongst the student and general Wizarding population. But as a professor, what was even more infuriating was to see some students fail again and again, day after day with no signs of any improvement. This year, Fumbles McStupid or more formally, Neville Longbottom, had gone and done he hadn't thought possible; he had gotten ten times worse, and this vexed Snape to no end. It's a wonder how two of the most brilliant and courageous people in the first Order could have fostered such a dimwitted son, it was a bloody shame and as waste.

Similarly, Harry's failure in Occlumency was getting increasingly tiresome, if that boy did not 'get it' soon, Severus was going to lose his head.

The weary wizard took a small sip from his herbal tea. Tea had amazing calming effects, more so than many medicinal potions. It has been some night, he thought to himself, rubbing his brow, Potter had called him Sni...that nickname, wrenching back painful memories which resulted in him assaulting the boy with the back of his hand, which led to Potter having a complete meltdown against Severus' nice, clean robes and the most distasteful experience Severus has had in a while.

The nerve of that boy! That obnoxious, irksome, disrespectful little monster! What did I look like? Clinging onto me like that like some sort of symbiotic! What was he thinking? What was I thinking? Should have send him straight back to the tower and let him deal with it himself. It's not as if the Golden Boy can't handle a few tears.

Severus slammed his cup down onto the table, sloshing tea over his hands. He was in denial. Of course he did not care about the Potter boy, the wretched, spoiled rotten brat. He needn't feel guilty about his treatment of Harry. The brood of James Potter did not deserve his sympathy nor kindness from Severus Snape.

Shouldn't have wasted my time explaining myself to him! Severus brooded, thinking about how Harry had disagreed about telling Dumbledore. My word is law. How dare he argue with me, contradict me! And I let him get away with it too! Damn brat!

True, he should not have hit the boy no matter what was said, and he felt dutifully regretful. But what was that other 'thing' that was nagging at him when he was coerced into the unwilling embrace? The feeling that was still nagging at him now? A strange kind of...what might you call it? Humanity? Goodness? Nice?

 

Certainly not! Severus Snape, nice! Perish the thought!

How dare he do this to me! I am not nice! I do not 'hug' and definitely not any Gryffindors! I do not offer comfort to students on my couch!

Harry's behaviour this night had startled Severus, confused him. This night, he had witnessed a side of Harry he had never seen before. Was it vulnerability? Or innocence? Or perhaps it was just the fact that Harry seemed so sincere in his apology, or that he had broken down so pitifully?

Severus rubbed his temple then ran his hand through his hair, after he dried them of course.

Harry had always been easily provoked by words, and Severus knew exactly where those sensitive buttons lie. But the boy's reactions to his jaunts had always been either fierce blushes and clenching teeth or angry words. Harry's retaliations did nothing more than land him in more trouble than he was already in.

Severus never thought he'd see the day Harry Potter cried. The spiteful man might have tried purposefully in the past to crush Harry's ego. And if tears were what would bring the Golden Boy down a few grand notches, then so be it. In the past, Severus would not have hesitated to humiliate the boy to the point of tears. He would not have felt regret for being brutally harsh. After all, this was not the first time his stringent, somewhat draconian methods had driven a student to tears. So why, all of a sudden, did he feel responsible and at fault? Why did he regret at brining Harry to tears?

The Potions Master shook his head and poured himself a new cup of tea. It was late and he needed to do his rounds. He was in a foul mood tonight, not consisting anger but rather of confusion and an odd sort of remorse.

Could it be that he actually cared? Severus growled as his hands tightened around his tiny cup of tea. It was far too easy to see James in Harry Potter, the boy was the mirror image of his father. Everything from his hair to his ears to his nose. Severus forgot sometimes that Harry was Lily's son as well. But in Seversu' opinion, Harry was not like Lily at all. Lily kind, intelligent and down-to-earth. Harry was another matter all together.

Nonetheless, Harry was Lily's child. And though he did not care for James Potter's damed offspring, Lily's son, he would die for.

Severus got up, shook out the wrinkles and straightened his robes, making his way out of the office and into the quiet halls to begin his routine patrol of the grounds. It would be a long walk.

Tomorrow; he thought, he would speak with Dumbledore tomorrow.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

“Severus, my boy,” Dumbledore said in a cheerful tone, his voiced low and aged. “To what do I owe this late night visit?”

“Headmaster, we must talk,” Severus answered seriously. He had been wandering the halls in search of wayward students who dared venture out after curfew. His mind stuck on other matters, he had failed to notice a couple of Ravenclaws second years in the east wing, a mile away from their common room.

“Oh dear, this sounds rather serious. I do hope everything is alright,” said the old headmaster, peering at Severus innocently over his half-moon glasses.

Severus looked at his mentor. Dumbledore always seemed to know when something was not right. “Certainly, headmaster, everything is fine.”

“Sit down, then,” Dumbledore offered. “Some tea, Severus?”

“No, thank you, sir,” the Potions professor declined the offer, instead choosing to dive right into the matter at hand. “It concerns Potter,” he confessed with cold sobriety.

Dumbledore smiled with resignation. “Again, Severus? Surely you have done complaining about the boy. He is not so bad.”

Severus shook his head. “Potter and I had an...argument.”

“Oh, I see,” Dumbledore nodded. “And you wish to have the boy punished for speaking out of turn? Preferably expelled?”

“No, no, not this time. This time...the fault,” Severus forced, “The fault was mine.”

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

“I see,” Dumbledore said with gravity.

“That boy is impossible, headmaster!” Severus jumped in. “He dared call me that name! That impertinent little bas...”

“Severus!” Dumbledore admonished.

“I'm sorry, Albus. But the nerve of that boy! First he waltes into my pensieve like he owns the thing, steals a peek at my most private memories and now this! He takes advantage of that transgression and spits mockery at me!” Severus was steaming. All guilt forgotten for the time being, his mind was dead set on spilling blasphemy about Harry Potter. The name Snivillus, bestowed on him by James Potter himself was a stark reminder of humiliation he had to put up with as a student.

“I'll have him expelled for this! This is the last straw! Make a fool of me, will he? I ought to...”

“Strike him?” Dumbledore's tone was stern, but there was no accusation in his voice.

Severus stopped suddenly in his rant. “No, of course not.”

The older Wizard gave him a searching look. Severus looked away, wavering and feeling very uncomfortable under his mentor's calculating gaze. He always felt exposed around the powerful Wizard. Nobody read him better than Dumbledore. As a spy he had learned discreetness the hard way. He kept his real feelings and intentions deep inside, hidden within a dark crevasse where few could get to them. But Albus Dumbledore read him like an open book, without even resorting to Legilimency or any type of mind-magic.

“I assume that it was an lapse in judgment?” Dumbledore inquired severely, looking pointedly at the potions professor.

“There was no judgment,” Severus confirmed, inclining his head. “I lost my temper and acted rashly.” He could not bring himself to meet Dumbledore's eyes, and focused his gaze anywhere but. His line of vision failed to take in the old man's face, but he could tell that Dumbledore's features were lined with disappointment. Those few words, spoken with such passive reprimand, brought the guilt speeding back and made it one hundred times worse.

“You have made amends.” It wasn't a question.

Dumbledore's gaze upon Severus had not left, and the Potions Master forced himself to look up and answer the question to the old man's face, with respect. “Yes, sir. I have apologized to Potter.”

Dumbledore nodded solemnly with small approval.

From Severus' perspective, Dumbledore was showing tremendous patience and leniency. The Potions professor thought he'd have to endure great amount ancient Wizard's wrath by now. Severus had, just hours ago, hit the precious Golden Boy in a rather brutal manner. And although the injuries were considerably minor, they were nonetheless quite unacceptable. Surely it was a dangerous infraction.

With Dumbledore looking at him like that, Severus felt regret build once more. Harry Potter irked him so much that he just could not keep his temper around the boy. Harry was the only person student in the history of Hogwarts that forced Severus to resort to physical violence. This was in fact the second time he'd manhandled the teenager. How was it possible Dumbledore remained so calm and collected?

“I have heard many rumours about your treatment of the boy, Severus,” Albus said gravely. “But I did not feel you disapprove of him to such a degree.”

“It was not...” Severus begun, but Dumbledore held up a hand and cut him off.

“I know it was not your intention to be physical with him. But I am speaking of your relationship with Harry in general. How you act towards and around him in the classroom, and outside of it. I cannot say I approve any longer.”

Severus frowned at Dumbledore. He did not approve any longer? What was that suppose to mean? Had he approved before?

“I will not go into that. You know yourself how you wronged Harry.” Dumbledore did not let go of Severus' gaze and the Potions Master noticed something disconcerting. It was one of those rare times where Dumbledore's eyes did not twinkle. And as much as Severus found the sparkle immensely irritating, the absence of it meant bad things.

“I have let it go in the past, but now I make my expectations clear,” Dumbledore continued. “Your prejudice towards Harry is no longer tolerated, Severus. Be harsh if you must. But your bitterness towards him must end.”

Easier said that done. Severus thought. The animosity between him and Potter could not disappear within a fortnight.

“Regarding hese Occlumency lessons, you have said that Harry has made little or no progress. You insist that this is due to Harry's incompetence and lack of cooperation, but can you swear to me that the blame lies solely on his shoulders?”

Severus did not speak.

Dumbledore sighed. “I gave you an responsibility, Severus. You are the only one I trust to teach Harry. Has that trust been misplaced?”

“No, no, of course not,” Severus answered hastily. He did not want to disappoint his mentor, though it was a tad late for that.

Dumbledore looked at Severus with a severe eye and said with undeniable authority. “I believe we have had this conversation before, Severus. This is not the first time you have lost your temper around Harry, but it shall be the last. Do I make myself clear?”

Severus would be a fool to contradicted Albus Dumbledore. He gulped, when Dumbledore was angry, he was a force to be reckoned with. “Yes, headmaster,” Severus answered unflinchingly, even as his heart raced.

Dumbledore's features softened. “Do you truly hate him, Severus?” He questioned somberly. “Do you really believe that he is James? Harry and his father share many similarities, but he is more like his mother in ways you never cared to notice. More than anything else, Harry is his own individual.”

Severus choose to remain silent

“Tell me Severus, is it hate you hold for Harry Potter?” Dumbledore's tone was grave once more. “A great contempt? Perhaps a dark despise?”

Hate?

Severus Snape detested Harry Potter on every level. He abhorred the fact that Harry was James' son, that he was the Golden Boy Who Lived, that he held such resemblance to his father. Severus cursed Harry's disregard for the rules, the welfare of both himself and those around him. He sneered at Harry's self-sacrificing attitude and Gryffindor foolhardy audaciousness; his hero complex and ridiculous so called 'bravery'. Harry Potter has caused Severus Snape much grief...

But hate?

No.

Severus knew hate. Hate was too strong, too dark, too evil. Hate was too much, like a never-ending moonless night. Hate was not what he felt for Harry Potter. Hate was reserved for only a couple of individuals in his life. He hated the Dark Lord, perhaps James Potter and his friends, but not Harry. It was true, as loath as he was to admit it, Harry Potter was just a boy.

“No.”

“Harry is a good boy, despite his faults,” Dumbledore said, relaxing into a genuine smile and leaning back into his chair. “Just like you are, Severus, despite yours.”

Severus snorted, Dumbledore was the only person on earth that addressed him as 'boy' (and got away with it.) “All the professors have wonderful things to say about Harry, except for you. It is not hard to see the good in the boy. If you would only open your eyes and see, you'll realize that he is covered head to toe with good qualities.”

Severus snorted again. Wonderful things about Harry Potter were hard to come by for the simple fact that they did not exist. The old man believed everyone to be as bright and 'wondrous' as his sherbet lemons Severus did not know what possible 'wonderful' things his colleagues had to say about Potter, either. Harry's grades were laughable at best.

The headmaster smiled at him knowingly. “He may not be an academic, but academics are not always what is most important.”

Severus grimaced.

“Give the boy the benefit of the doubt, Severus, like I gave you.”

Severus sighed, Albus Dumbledore had taken him in and gave him a second chance at life. As a young man Severus had made many unforgivable transgressions- mistakes that condemned him forever in the eyes of the majority of the wizarding world. Albus Dumbledore was renowned for his amnesty and ability to forgive. He was the only one willing to give Severus any reprieve.

Severus had been living the darkest days of his life, and at certain points he had wished to die. Dumbledore, being Dumbledore, just had to intervene.

“Perhaps you should invite him for tea?” Dumbledore suggested, the famous twinkle returning to his eyes.

“WHAT!” Severus spoke vehemently, suddenly breaking his silence. Of all the....Dumbledore was damn unpredictable.

“After the lessons, Severus. Get to know him.” Dumbledore answered coolly.

“Headmaster, you cannot be serious!” Severus was outraged. “I am not having tea with Potter!”

“No?” Dumbledore raised an amused eyebrow. “Ah, I will not force you to, Severus. But do try. Harry is so much more than just James Potter's son.”

Severus felt the magic around him, Dumbledore's aura alone was powerful enough to sweep him off his feet. There was no room for disagreement.

“I will endeavor to be less hostile, headmaster,” Severus complied.

Dumbledore was not satisfied with Severus' insubstantial answer.

“His training must continue next year, and you know I have been thinking about adding defense to his training. This means that the hours you spend with each other will only increase. Harry will be more willing to learn if the atmosphere between you were not so tense.”

Severus nodded, the thought of spending even more time with Harry put him in a frown, but his answer was filled with utmost sincerity.

“I will try my best, Albus.”

“That is all I ask for, my boy,” Dumbledore smiled benignly. “Don't fret, Severus. I have complete faith in you as well as Harry. Your relationship with the boy will improve with time.”

And with that, the old Wizard took another sip of his hot tea. “Sure you would not care for some tea, Severus?”

 

Severus returned to his quarters well past midnight. His talk with Dumbedore had gone better than expected. The old wizard was clearly and understandably angry at Severus. But Dumbledore hadn't yell, or even raise his voice. Severus fully believed that he was in for a long talk with his boss Dumbledore had not said much at all. The headmaster's expectations, however, were made obvious in those few words.

After practically forcing him to have tea, Severus and Dumbledore went on to discuss other issues and the situation with Harry became irrelevant. When they called it a night, the headmaster had said that he would call Harry to his office in a few days time, and the matter would be resolved there and then. He also grinned and told his Potions profession very simply that should something like this happen again, the consequences would be 'unfavourable'. However, behind that cool and gentle smile, Severus knew Dumbledore meant business.

Worst than that, Albus Dumbledore was always right.

Severus shook his head incredulously, his 'relationship' with Potter? Improve?

Unlikely.