Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Beta: Lady Mage. She did so much for me this chapter. Thanks so much!
Friends

 A new day dawned on Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Harry Potter turned groggily in his bed and groaned at the thought of classes. Mostly, he was grieving over double Potions. Potions was bad enough, double Potions was near unbearable, but double Potions first thing in the morning with Slytherins was plain unfair! Furthermore, after the disaster last night, Harry didn't thinking he could stand being in Snape's presence.

The night before, Harry had returned to Gryffindor Tower ten minutes after curfew. Out of pure curiosity, he opened the Occlumency text and flipped through it. Ron and Hermione, upon seeing this strange behaviour from their best friend had entirely different reactions. Hermione, being Hermione, was ecstatic at Harry's new found interest in academics. Ron, being Ron gawked at the huge text and called Snape a bastard for making Harry read so much. Before anyone knew what was happening, an argument had broken out between the two. Harry had gone upstairs and left the two to bicker like an old married couple in the common room.

Now on his bed with the morning sun high on the horizon, Harry let the breath out of his lungs in an over dramatic, forlorn sigh. He flipped onto his back and slammed his head down onto the fluffy pillow. It was too early to get up, and there was no way he was going back to sleep again. Harry had developed the annoying habit of getting up early. Back "home" at the Dursleys, he'd always had to get up at the crack of dawn to put on the coffee and make breakfast for the family. Even though he'd had a late night, his internal clock refused to let him sleep past eight.

Harry nearly always turned in early after his Occlumency lessons; the sessions wore him out completely. The events of this particular Monday had been exhausting in particular. Nonetheless, he was up most of the night. After trying to sleep for hours, Harry finally gave up and pulled out the Occlumency book Snape had given him. The Gryffindor skimmed over the table of contents, chapter titles, and prologue, hoping he would get bored enough to pass out and not wake up again till morning. As it turned out, the text was not half as dull as he thought it would be. It was actually rather interesting. In fact, Harry read the entire five page introduction ofOcclumency for the Feeble Minded in a short amount of time and it surprisingly made sense. For the first time, Harry felt that he might be an Occlumens yet. Satisfied, the teenager fell at asleep…finally at three in the morning.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Double Potions? First thing in the morning? Bloody Hell!" Ron protested loudly as he made his way towards the Great Hall for breakfast, with Harry and Hermione in toll. "It's a conspiracy, Harry! What were they thinking? Potions is bad enough, but four hours of it? I'd rather attend one of Filch's detentions!"

Harry smiled, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. Ron wasn't a morning person, and never had been a Potions devotee.

"It's just not fair!" The red head continued to whine. "And with the Slytherins! Who makes the schedule anyway? I bet it's Snape! The git must have done this just to make us miserable!"

Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Don't be ridiculous, Ron," she said to him. "Professor Snape isn't in charge of the timetables. Everyone knows that that's the duty of the Deputy Headmistress. In this case, it is Professor McGonagall."

But Ron would not be deterred. "I'm telling you, guys, Snape had a hand in this. I just know it."

"Why do you always assume he's up to something?" Hermione said, looking at Ron exasperatedly.

"Because he's Snape! He's always up to some nefarious, secret plot to humiliate us." Ron rationalized, gesturing actively with his hands.

"To humiliate me, you mean," Harry said glumly. At least 99% of the time. His friends didn't appear to hear him. Harry was not surprised, when Ron and Hermione start, all their focus is on each other.

"You're just being silly. Professor Snape has got better things to do than to make us miserable. Besides, he is a professor, and professors don't go about trying to make their students' lives miserable."

You want to bet on that, Hermione? I'll bet you my firebolt that he does not have better things to do. Harry thought silently to himself, even though he knew it was untrue.

"But this isn't just any professor, Hermione. This is Snape. You've seen the way he treats us Gryffindors, especially Harry and Neville."

"That's just the way he is."

Then I hate what he is. Harry mused to himself. Why can't he just leave me alone? Why can't he leave Neville alone?

"He's a miserable, bullying bat who always enjoys a go at anyone who's not in Slytherin. And a Death Eater at that!"

"I am not having this conversation with you again, Ron," Hermione huffed. "Snape works for Dumbldore remember? He's on our side. Just recall all the times he's saved Harry; like in first year when he countered Quirrell's curse, and in third year when he tried to protect us from Professor Lupin during the full moon. Just drop it, okay!"

Sure, at this rate I'll end up owing him half a dozen life-debts by the time I graduate. That's just what I need.

"You drop it!" Ron snapped. "Why can't you just accept that Snape is evil and out to get us?"

"Professor Snape is not out to get anyone!" Hermione exclaimed. "And he is not 'evil'; I don't know where you got that idea."

"I can't believe you are still not convinced. Just look at the way..." but Ron did not get to finish his sentence as Harry interrupted, deciding that he'd left the conversation for far too long.

"Hermione's right, Ron..." he said. It was not difficult to believe that their potions professor would go out of his way to torment Harry and his friends. But in Harry's opinion, Snape would rather avoid having to deal with him at all.

Ron rounded on him. "Oh great, Harry. Take her side!"

"No, listen," Harry explained. "Snape may hate us all. But if he despises us so much. He'd want to spend as little time with us as possible, right?"

"Well..." Ron knitted his brows together, but finally relented. "Fine, when you put it that way....maybe. But still, double Potions! First thing in the morning! Why not just kill me now?"

Hermione shook her head in exasperation.

"No, seriously! See, four hours of Potions means that there's time to finish some mysterious potion, and test it! With any luck, Snape will have me test Neville's potion."

"Oh, like yours are any better," Hermione giggled, poking Ron with her index finger.

Ron glared at her, but the truth was, his potions were usually as bad as Neville's. The only difference was that Neville's potions tended to blow up more often.

"Shut up! At least mine don't blow up," Ron shouted defensively.

"Look on the bright side, Ron," Harry offered sarcastically as the trio entered the Great Hall. "If Neville's potion blows up or melts through the cauldron, you'll have to test mine instead."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?"

"Quit your whining," Hermione berated as the three found an empty spot in the middle of the Gryffindor table. She sat herself down in between the two boys. "You are not the only one with double Potions, you know!" But breakfast was already on the table, and Ron ignored his bushy haired friend in favour of the most important meal of the day.

Ron, having stacked his plate full of eggs, bacon, sausages, a chocolate croissant, and a banana muffin, reached for the pumpkin juice and poured himself a glass full. Hermione grimaced at the fatty foods on his plate and started to lecture him about his eating habits, and urging him to try the fruit salad. Paying minimal attention to Hermione, Ron continued to stuff his mouth full of scrambled eggs and swallowed loudly.

Harry stayed usually quiet throughout breakfast, mulling over the upcoming potions class.

Ron doesn't know how good he has it. Try being me right this minute and you'll know the real meaning of conspiracy and unfair.

Harry wasn't sure if he was ready to face Snape yet. Not even a day has passed since the incident which destroyed any dignity Harry held in presence of the Potions Master. He was fairly sure Snape would not reveal anything to his classmates or the Slytherins, but knew Snape might drop little hints here and there just to rile him up. Snape was expert at that. Harry thought of going to the twins and getting some Puking Pastilles from them, but there was no time for an owl order to their shop. It's just as well, Snape would surely see right through his puking and Harry would end up scrubbing grime off the dungeon floors. He'd just have to ride it out like he always did.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Half an hour later, Hermione dragged the two boys down to the potions classroom. She was excited for a new day of learning while Ron continued to complain about the diabolical arrangement of classes. They was soon joined by the rest of the Gryffinor fifth years, and unfortunately, the Slytherins as well. Harry simply trudged along, feeling woebegone and melancholic, as if the whole world was going to collapse around him.

The Potions classroom was a cold, dark and desolate place, where lies the most unpopular professor in recorded history. Non-Slytherin students entered this forbidding dwelling filled with anxiety and fear, and left either despairing or fighting the urge to smash something brittle. For the Golden Trio, every potion turned out very much the same and today was no exception.

The hours passed agonizingly slow. Snape sneered and glared for four hours straight, making sure each and every Gryffindor got their share, it's a wonder the man never got tired.

Harry remained reserved and tried to ignore Snape when he was looming over him. In all fairness, Professor Snape was really no more and no less nasty than he usually was. He hadn't dropped any hints about the previous night, or mocked Harry any more than he usually did. Harry had been so sure that the man would try something, when nothing out of the ordinary happened, Harry began to wonder if his professor had been Obliviated.

Neville's potion had managed not to blow up and had merely smoked everyone out of the lab with help from Malfoy's projectile. When it was safe enough to reenter the classroom, there was no time left to test anyone's potions. Harry breathed a sigh of relief.

The Gryffindors were saved by Neville...or was it Malfoy?

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Severus was angry to say the least. Once again, Longbottom had nearly disintegrated his Potions classroom and everyone in it. And no, he was definitely not exaggerating! The truth was that there was no explosions or a blaze or even a single unintended flame, and the toxic smoke was not too deadly. But still, if he hadn't acted quickly and shooed everyone out of the room Madam Pompfrey would have found herself an additional thirty patients, which made for a very annoyed school nurse.

Draco had once again took one of his pranks too far. Severus found himself more angry at his Slytherin pupil than at the clumsy Gryffindor. Adding random ingredients into any potion was very dangerous, especially one that was still on the flame. Draco ought to have known that. The boy didn't do any real harm this time, but the day will come when Draco will misjudge the reaction of certain ingredients…and then what? Severus knew that Draco's pranks were just that, pranks, at times cruel but they cause any real harm. But what happens if the chemical reaction caused permanent damage? What happens if, Merlin forbid, somebody ended up, well……

Severus decided not to go in that direction, least it comes true. The Potions Master sighed, he had yet to speak to the boy about his bullying, now there was another subject to add to their talk later.

As for Potter, he was another subject all together. Severus avoided thinking about the Gryffindor, which was hard when the boy was right there in front of him, stealing nervous glances his way. Dumbledore's request echoed in his ears with irritating repetition. Harry is a good boy. Give him a chance. Invite him for tea. Tea indeed! He loomed over Potter for awhile before moving away, content on just staying away from him for the moment.

Severus was not proud of what he did and took Dumbledore's words to heart, like he always did. He would give Potter one chance, just one.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

The next few days passed without any real incidents. Malfoy seemed to be more hostile than usual, but his clashes with Harry only went as far as uncivilized verbal spouts. On one occasion, the Slytherin actually drew his wand, but didn't cast a single spell. Instead, he pushed past Harry and stomped off, swearing loudly. No harm done, but Harry was left to believe Snape really did talk with the chauvinistic bigot. However that didn't stop the blond from verbally harassing Harry and his friends whenever and wherever he saw fit.

All too soon it was Monday again and time for Occlumency. Harry had crammed all Sunday night, all Monday morning, some more Monday afternoon and he still wasn't ready. It was dinner time and Harry had exactly one hour before he had to meet Snape. One more hour to study his block off.

"Don't you ever have fun, Hermione? Why do you study so much? I mean seriously, it's like you are incapable of anything but," Ron deadpanned as the trio sat in the Great Hall, waiting for supper to appear on the table.

SPLAT!

Hermione slammed her Arithmacy text onto the table before sitting down. "We have OWLs, Ron! They're only a few weeks away! Fun can wait till the summer holidays," she said sounding a tad eccentric.

"The summer holidays, she says! Can you believe that, Harry?" Ron said ghastly, quite disturbed by what Hermione just said. "The summer holidays! I...oh, not you too, Harry!" Ron's eyes widened disbelievingly at Harry, who just opened the formidable looking Occlumency book.

"Shite! Snape's brainwashed our Harry! Somebody, get help!"

Hermione scowled at her friend's foul language and rebuked. "Ron, language! And don't be ridiculous. Snape has not brainwashed Harry. Harry has just gained some sense, haven't you Harry?"

Harry shifted his eyes between his two best friends. "Uhhhh...yes?"

"You see? Harry has learned when it is time for fun, and when it is time for study. You, Ronald, should take a page from his book."

"That book? Are you mad? That thing is duller than a dictionary. And more confusing if that dictionary happened to be in French."

"It's a figure of speech, Ron."

"Right..." the red head nodded, shifting his eyes. "Anyways, Harry, you shouldn't be studying so much. You're turning into Hermione, mate. We guys need to stick together!"

"I'm sorry I can't Ron, Occlumency is in an hour and I've got ten more pages to read and memorize!" Harry said in a slightly panicked voice.

"I can't believe Snape is making you read so much! It's bloody impossible, nobody could read that much! Doesn't he know we have lives outside of class? I mean, I know it's important and all but, he doesn't have you assign you 100 pages!"

"Grrr, tell me about it," Harry answered, and began to read as fast as he could, trying to not to blank out.

One hour later, Harry flipped the book shut and groaned. He had finally finished reading the assigned pages, all 117 pages of it, and now he had a migraine. How was he going to occlude Snape with a splitting headache? Did he mention he'd only eaten a small turkey sandwich? How was he supposed to concentrate with a half empty stomach?

Ron stopped talking to Seamus when he noticed Harry bang his head on the table. "Occlumency time, mate?"

"Yeah..." Harry groaned, rubbing his temple with his hand.

"Headache?"

"Yeah..." Harry grumbled painfully.

"See? See? I told you that you shouldn't read so much!" Ron bragged, making Hermione scowl.

"The only reason Harry has a headache is because he didn't read enough!" She scolded.

"WHAT?" Harry and Ron said simultaneously.

"I read for hours last night, and I haven't had a moments rest all day!" Harry exclaimed, a little cross. "That doesn't make any sense anyhow. How can I get a headache from reading too little?"

"Well," Hermione returned calmly, if a bit airily. "If you had read more during the week, you wouldn't have to cram all yesterday and today. Don't you know cramming is bad for you, anyhow it doesn't even work."

"Oh, please," Ron scoffed. "You should see the way you yourself cram before an exam, you hardly sleep the night before."

Hermione glared at him. "Well, I'm just saying. If cramming gives you a headache, don't do it again."

Harry groaned again and rubbed his face with his hands.

Hermione sighed, eyes moving upwards and shook her head in a way that said 'boys, what am I going to do with those two'

Abruptly, she swung her feet over the bench and ran from the Great Hall."Wait here," she called back to the two bewildered boys.

Ron looked at Harry. "What's she up to now?" Harry shrugged. "Don't suppose it's the library again? I think it's her favourite room in all of Hogwarts." Ron carried on and Harry just slammed his head back down again, his forehead hitting the book with a small thud.

Hermione came back five minute later, huffing and puffing. She stood there and held out a vial of green coloured potion, looking extremely proud of herself though she would never admit it.

"What's that suppose to be?" Ron asked, eyeing at the pulp with distaste.

"It's a headache reliever," she explained pleasantly, "I was saving it for my exams, but you need it more than I do and I can always make more."

"You made this?" Harry took the vial and looked at the potion, and then back at Hermione. He really shouldn't be surprised, but he was. "When did you make this? How?"

"Unlike some people," Hermione returned steadily. "I actually read educational material in my free time."

"Quidditch magazines are educational!" Ron objected and tried to sound smart. "They teach you loads about new moves and always has the latest news on sport politics! The International Quidditch Council even has debates ion the Quidditch handbook once in a while."

Hermione failed to dignify him with an answer; she would never truly understand the boys' obsession with Quidditch. "Well, I made this one when you and Harry are out playing your silly Quidditch games."

Ron's jaw dropped open. "Silly? How could you...Herminoe, that is it.  Why are we friends again?" he spluttered, clearly wanting to say that Quidditch could not be silly because Hermione herself had went to several games and enjoyed them. Harry jumped in before the other two started at each other's throats.

"I thought students weren't allowed to make potions by themselves."

"Oh, I asked Professor Snape for permission, and he gave me some ingredients and the lab to use."

"You asked Snape?" Ron said loudly with a look of disbelief on his face.

"And he said yes?" Harry added astonishingly.

Hermione frowned. "Well, yes, of course he did. Why wouldn't he? I mean, he wasn't very kind about it. He accused me of not being able to handle the pressure and asked all sorts of questions about why I would need such a potion. But it was all talk, he let me in the end, I knew he would."

"Are you sure that was Snape?" Ron demanded "He really just let you brew a potion unsupervised? He'd never let me do that."

"I wouldn't let you brew a potion by yourself, Ron, not one this advanced anyway. He'll never admit it, but I am one of his best students. And like I said, he is a professor. No matter how strict or aggravating he can be, he is supposed to help his students."

"Why didn't you just order some from an apothecary? Or ask Madam Pomfrey for some?" Ron asked.

"There's no challenge in that, is there? It's so much more rewarding if you make it yourself."

Ron shook his head from side to side with shock. "Unbelievable. You are unbelievable." Hermione just shrugged, and sat down again.

"Well thanks, Hermione! You're a life saver!" Harry said, deciding it was time to step in again.

"I know," she grinned. "But just remember, no more..."

"Cramming, I know, I know," Harry grumbled as he downed the potion.

"Should take about five to ten minutes to start working," Hermione informed.

Harry grimaced before choking out. "Okay, thanks."

"You're going to miss the match, Harry." Ron finally snapped out of his disbelieving daze and said.

Harry turned his head. "Gee, thanks for reminding me."

"Rotten luck."

"Yeah..."

"Well, maybe he'll let you off..."

"Fat chance," Harry mumbled.

"Harry, are you okay?" Hermione sounded concerned for her friend. She looked at him and put a hand on his shoulder. "You seem distracted, is something bothering you?"

"Well, duh! of course he's distracted, Hermione!" Ron said obviously. "He's going to miss Quidditch!"

"Oh, honestly. I don't see what the big deal is," Hermione said, gesturing with one hand.

"It's Quidditch! Of course it's a big deal!"

"Oh, and I suppose it is a bigger deal that Harry's safety?" Hermione chided.

"Well, of course not, but...."

"There you have it then," Hermione finished and changed the subject before Ron could say another word. "You should get going, Harry. Don't want to be late, ever minute counts."

"Yeah, don't want the greasy git to give you another detention for being ten second late."

"Yeah..."

"Harry, are you sure you are alright?" Hermione asked again. "Want us to walk you down?"

"Nah...don't worry about me, you guys. Just go to the game and have fun, you can tell me all about it afterwards."

"Sure thing mate, I'll see you around."

"Yeah, bye."

"See you, Harry. And don't you let him get to you!" Hermione shouted to Harry's back.

Yeah, easy for you to say. Harry thought to dejectedly as he embarked on another journey to the land of doom.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Severus was grumpy.

He was not at all looking forward to his weekly appointment with Harry Potter. Needless to say, he had better things to do with his time. For one thing, the Dark Lord had assigned him to brew a dozen malicious potions, some of which needed his undivided attention for several hours. Beyond that there were his regular professor and Head of House duties in addition to Order of the Phoenix reports to finish. That in itself left little time for recreation and personal matters, and now he had to waste a perfectly good Monday evening planning and trying to teach Potter Occlumency...trying being the key word.

Severus had an entire week to muse over Harry and his talk with Dumbledore and had come to a few conclusions. He would go with his decision on Tuesday night; do as Dumbledore had ordered and be less hostile. If things go badly, nobody could say the potions master didn't try.

"Mr. Potter," Severus drawled with flat enthusiasm. "Cutting it a bit close, aren't we?"

"Good evening, Professor," Harry greeted. He had no idea what Severus was talking about, he was a whole minute early.

"We shall see," Severus replied nonchalantly. He got up and walked to the middle of the room where their lesson always took place. "I assume you have followed my instructions and completed the assigned reading. Because if you haven't..."

"Yes, sir. I've read the first three chapters like you said," Harry answered quickly, dropping his bag to the side.

"We'll see about that, questions?"

"No, professor." Amazingly enough, Harry had understood most of the material. Where he had trouble, Hermione had been glad to help – she really did knoweverything!

"Are you sure, Potter?" Severus asked dubiously. He did not believe Harry had the capability to understand the first year Potions text, let alone something as advanced as the Occlumency book.

"Yes, sir."

"My, my, this is a surprise. It looks like you are not entirely hopeless after all." The cynicism in his voice could not be missed. But coming from Severus, the words were practically praise. "Very well, then we will begin."

Before Harry could respond, Severus had spoken again.

"On three," he started dully, as if bored by the whole experience. "One, two, three. Legilimens."

To be continued...