Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
This is my first fanfiction for this site. I worked for a very long time on this so please let me know if you like it.
A meeting, the first year, and an accident.

Harry’s head whipped around when he heard the strangely familiar word.

“I still don’t understand why we had to actually go to the platform,” said a tall man with long white, blonde hair.

“Because it has been quite a long time since either of us has been there and to apparate would be dangerous,” a blonde woman replied. The man rolled his eyes slightly.

“But there are muggles,” he said with a look of disgust on his face. That was the phrase that had caught Harry’s attention. He studied the three people walking through the station. They look like good people, Harry thought.

“Umm e-ex-excuse me,” he stuttered, “I overheard your conversation and-”

“You mean you were eavesdropping,” the man cut across him with a sneer.

“Lucius, give the boy a chance to explain,” the woman looked down at Harry and then up at her husband with a glare.

“Well, It’s just that word ‘muggle’. I know there’s only certain people that use it and I was wondering ,if you are that kind of people, could you show me where this is?” Harry said, showing them his ticket.

“Oh dear we would be delighted to show you. Let me introduce you to the Malfoy family. I am Narcissa, this is my husband Lucius, and our son Draco. May I ask your name?” she said with a sweet smile.

“Harry Potter,” he said.

The woman had no reaction but the man called Lucius coughed as though something was caught in his throat.


Harry sat in an empty compartment, staring out the window when the door slid open. Harry looked around to see the boy Draco.

“Sorry about my mother and father. They were a tad shocked,” he explained.

At the look on Harry’s face he continued, “ Mother is very talented when it comes to hiding emotions and Father thought you were a Mudblood,”

“Mudblood?” Harry repeated.

“It’s another word for people with our abilities that have non-magic parents,” Draco explained.

Harry chuckled slightly, remembering the older Malfoy’s reaction to his name.

“Let me properly introduce myself. Draco Malfoy,” he said extending his hand. Harry took it with a smile.

“What house do you want to be in?” Draco asked , sitting down across from Harry.

“House?” Harry questioned, confused. The ride to the mysterious magic school was spent learning everything one needed to know about Hogwarts and its houses. Harry became extremely interested when Draco began to explain a sport called Quidditch. It was played on broomsticks.

“-and then there’s the Seeker. The Seeker must catch the Snitch,” Draco explained.

“It sounds like a great sport!,” as Harry said this, the compartment door slid open. A girl with bushy hair entered.

“I’m sorry to interrupt but -” she began, but Draco cut her off.

“You are interrupting. Whatever it is, I’m sure we don’t care,” he said with a sneer similar to his father’s.

The girl opened her mouth as though she was about to say something but instead she backed out of the compartment, silently, closing the door.

“I hate it when people just interrupt,” Draco mused, turning back to Harry.


“Slytherin!” the old hat yelled. Harry hopped off the stool and strode over to a table full of students cheering for him. The rest of the hall was deadly silent. The Boy Who Lived was in the house of dark and evil wizards.

“I told you Potter! I knew you’d be in Slytherin,” Draco ranted as they began to eat.

“I know, but for some reason I had a strange feeling I was going to be in,” he shuddered slightly, “Gryffindor.”

Draco laughed so hard at Harry that he shot mashed potatoes across the table, showering Pansy Parkinson. The boys doubled over, laughing harder.  After dinner the first years were lead to the dungeons.

“Did you see Weasley? He was in right state. Did you see how shabby his robes were?” Draco mused.

“Well, think about it for a minute. From what you’ve told me they’re a rather big family, and it can’t be easy to try to feed and clothe all of them on what their father makes,” Harry commented.

“I suppose, but there are things that can be done to at least improve their appearance,” he answered as they came to a halt. Looking above the crowd, Harry discovered they were standing before a tall frame. The portrait vanished to reveal a mirror. A man appeared in it. The prefect explained that the man would appear every time they came to the common room. He also explained that the man would ask them a question. The question would always be related to blood purity or the ancient line of Salazaar Slytherin himself.

The mirror sank into the wall and a hole appeared. The young Slytherins followed the prefect through it. They entered a large room with black leather furniture and shimmering, green walls. The prefect gave them their room assignments and they made their way to their rooms. As they entered, Harry took in the sight. There were five four-poster beds, dark emerald hangings with silver tie-backs.

“Wow,” Harry whispered. Draco seemed unimpressed with the room and settled himself on one of the beds. This will be a great year, Harry thought. He lay down and imagined what was to come.


Nearly Ten Months Later...
Harry knocked on Professor Snape’s office door.

“Enter,” came a deep drawl. As Harry entered the room, he noticed the walls were covered in jars with strange looking contents.

“I assume you did not come to my office the study the various pickled items it contains,” Snape said from the corner of the room. He was standing next to a cauldron that was emitting yellow smoke.

“No Sir. I came to you because I need to speak to Professor Dumbledore. It’s about this summer,” Harry explained, watching his Potions Master.

“You wish to ask him about staying with the Malfoys,” the dark man stated, as though he already knew the question.

“Yes,” Harry said, making a face when his Head of House added a rather slimy ingredient. The professor wiped his hands and wrote something in a ledger. He looked up and studied the boy for a moment.

“You’ve gotten to know young mister Malfoy rather well haven’t you,” he paused, “I shall take you to the headmaster and reason with him. I’m sure there will be such an occasion that calls for some convincing,”

Harry followed Snape, in all his bat-like glory, out of the dungeons. They walked in silence. Harry had come to notice that the professor was rather distant from nearly everyone at Hogwarts. He rarely ever saw the man talk to anyone besides Dumbledore. He spoke to McGonagall on occasion, but that was usually when he was gloating about Quidditch. Harry chuckled, remembering the look on the Transfiguration teacher’s face when Slytherin won the Quidditch house cup, thanks to him. He was enjoying Hogwarts and he had friends. That was what had gotten him to this point.

“Mr. Potter, do you plan on speaking with Professor Dumbledore or was this trip a waste of time?”

Harry had been thinking so deeply that he hadn’t noticed that they had stopped. He looked up and saw a large spiral staircase moving upward. He hopped on a step and was followed closely by his professor.

They reached the top and Harry knocked slightly on the door. The door swung open of its own accord, revealing the ancient wizard seated behind his desk. Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled at the sight of Harry.

“To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?” he asked with a smile.

Harry walked closer to the desk and began to explain.

“Well, Harry, I can see that you’ve thought about this and really want to go but I’m sorry I must deny this small request. You must return to your Aunt and Uncle’s,” Dumbledore said quietly. Harry felt disappointment and anger fill him.

Just as Harry turned to leave, reluctantly accepting his fate, Professor Snape spoke very quietly, almost a mutter, “Headmaster, I urge you to rethink. If he were to stay with the Malfoys, I would be able to train him properly. We could get a head start.”

Puzzled, Harry frowned, but remained silent.  He knew better than to speak out of turn in front of his Head of House. 

The older man pondered this for a moment, “You make a valid point, Severus, but he must stay with his aunt and uncle until at least July.”

"Wait outside for me, Potter," ordered Snape.

“Thank you, sir,” Harry said to Dumbledore before exiting the office, still rather disappointed.

“I’m sorry I could not get you the whole summer," the professor said as they made their way back down to the dungeons several moments later, "but you will have some time with Draco, and I was not lying: you will be trained for the duration of your stay at Malfoy Manor.”

Harry licked his lips and nodded, hoping that Draco would be receiving extra Potions training as well...


July? You have to wait until July,” Draco said irritated.

“Yes, Snape had fight just to get that,” said packing up his trunk.

Draco shut his own trunk and made his was to the dormitory door. Harry closed his trunk and followed. They walked down to the Great Hall for the feast. Slytherin would be awarded the House Cup, much to everyone’s chagrin. The Slytherins celebrated late into the night.

The next morning found Harry and Draco running to catch the train. They laughed as they settled into a compartment they kicked a group of first year Hufflepuffs out of. They spent the ride taking about the summer, Quidditch, and playing wizard's chess.

Harry got off the train, waving goodbye to Draco and his other fellow Slytherins. He came through the portal happily, but his happiness was short lived. As soon as Harry looked up he saw Uncle Vernon, already purple with anger.


Harry sat in his room, looking through the books he had managed to sneak from his trunk: Quidditch Through the Ages and a number of his school books. He was flipping through his Transfiguration book when his bedroom door swung open. His lump of a cousin, Dudley, bounded in.

“What are you doing, Potter?” he asked. As he glanced at Harry, his eyes grew wide, “Dad! Come quick! Harry’s got those books he uses at that school!”

There was a loud bang from the kitchen and Harry knew no matter what he did he couldn’t escape the coming storm. He scrambled off his bed and grasped his wand tightly. What was he thinking? He couldn’t use magic outside school, not to mention in front of muggles.

Uncle Vernon’s purple face appeared in the doorway, the vein in his forehead already pulsating. Harry backed away into a corner, his heart beating wildly. He closed his eyes and thought of the first place he would rather be than where he was. He braced himself for the yelling, his body tense. He waited, but it never came.

As Harry opened his eyes and found himself in a grand entrance hall, feeling very much as though his head had been mashed together. He looked around at his surroundings. What happened? he asked himself, Where am I? As though someone had heard his thoughts he heard footsteps coming from one of the doors that led off of the hall. A door on the right opened to reveal Lucius Malfoy.

“Come Draco, Narcissa. It appears we have and unexpected guest,” he said looking over his shoulder.