Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey all this is the new chapter. My friend Brandy helped me with Harry's bedroom description. I hope you enjoy!
Reluctant Roomies

“I’m sorry headmaster, but the boy is completely inept. I believe allowing him to live with the Malfoy family has tainted his humility. He had the gall to back talk me,” Severus explained in outrage.

The ancient wizard’s brow was creased in concern. He looked at Severus over his spectacles, “This is very disconcerting. I agree that something must be done, therefore at the end of the week he will be moving to Spinner’s End, where you can train him properly”

Severus stopped his pacing and turned to stare at his mentor. Had the man lost his marbles. . .well more of them?

“Albus, this could be more disastrous than helpful,” Severus replied in disbelief.

“I do not believe the situation is as disastrous as you are making it out to be,” Albus chuckled.

“I believe you’re making a mistake. You are usually correct but I think you are wrong in this situation,” Severus replied as he turned toward the fireplace and took his leave.

“I mean, he’s horrible,” Harry complained.

They were lying on Draco’s bed talking.

“Listen, I’ve known him all my life and he’s always been a bitter man,” Draco replied lazily

“There must be a reason, but I don’t really care enough to explore it any further,” Harry said just as lazily.

“Dear old Severus,” Draco mocked his mother’s tone.

The boys shook with laughter. While they had been having a laugh at the sulking bat’s expense, Dobby had popped in and they had failed to notice him. The house-elf cleared his throat and announced, “Master Malfoy wishes to see young Master Potter in his study,”

Harry hopped of the bed and furrowed his brow, “Doesn’t he want to see Draco as well?”

“No, sir, he only asked for Master Potter,” Dobby squeaked. Harry and Draco exchanged a confused look, but Harry shrugged and exited the room.

Harry knocked on the door of Lucius’s study.

He heard the familiar drawl, “Come,”

“You wished to see me, Sir?” Harry said with respectful fear.

“Actually it was I who wanted to see you, Potter,” Severus said from the corner where he had been brooding.

A chill of dread ran down Harry’s spine. He turned and faced his mentor in the corner.

“Yes sir?” Harry said through gritted teeth.

“Follow me Potter,” Severus said directing Harry from the study.

“I’ve been to see the Headmaster, and he has suggested a solution to your discipline issue. I’m sure that you will believe that I am not in agreement with him but he has ordered it of me,” Severus said darkly, “He has suggested that you move to Spinner’s End and live with me for the remainder of the summer holidays,”

Harry thought he had not understood the sallow skinned man’s words. He was sure his ears were playing tricks on him.

“What? Move in with. . . you?” Harry stuttered in utter disgust.

“As I said Potter, I do not care for this situation either,” Severus replied, “You will be moving in tonight. This will be your final day at Malfoy Manor,”

Harry was silent as he made his to his room. He walked passed Draco who was standing in the hallway.

“What did he want?” Draco said, following Harry.

“It’s ridiculous. Dumbledore ordered Snape to have me move in with him,” Harry said slumping on the bed, “I’d better get packing”

Draco was silent for a moment, “You’re joking right?”

Harry gave the other boy a look that said he wasn’t and headed towards the wardrobe.

“So much for summer holidays,” Harry sighed.

Draco stood in the door of Harry’s room across the hall from his own. He watched Harry sorrowfully pack his things and felt sorry that he would have to find a way to entertain himself for the remainder of the break.

“It’s really not that bad,” Harry reassured, “There’s only a month left ’til holiday’s over,”

“It’s still a load of rubbish,” Draco replied.

“Yeah,” Harry agreed.

“It’s not like I begged the man to have an arrogant, angst-filled, prepubescent child move into my quiet and dank home,” Severus said, taking a sip of his fire whiskey.

“I don’t why you hate him so much, he’s been perfect the whole of his stay,” Narcissa chimed in.

“Yes, well you’re idea of perfect is quite different from my own,” Severus retorted.

The man turned on his heel to leave the room in time to see Harry standing in the doorway, with a slightly sad look and a packed trunk.

“You’re ready?” Severus asked.

Harry simply and stiffly nodded his head. His thoughts reeled. Where will he have me sleep? Another cupboard? No Sir, I will never live that way again. He mulled all the horrible possibilities over in his mind.

“Potter…Potter…Potter!” Severus jarred the boy from his thoughts, “What about you’re owl?”

Harry silently made his way to the manor owlery to fetch his forgotten friend. How could he have forgotten Hedwig? His terrible brooding insides clenched tighter as he thought about how he had neglected things since moving to Malfoy Manor. The snowy owl had meant more to him than just a messenger but he had treated her as such all summer. He gazed upon the perch where she could usually be found and looked at the way she sat regally accusing him.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered to her.

As if she had understood him, Hedwig moved into the travel cage that Harry held in his hand.

As Harry walked back to the entrance hall, he felt a sensation of realization wash over him. He had ignored many things since coming to the manor. Harry looked up to see his Potions Master waiting for him next to the fireplace. Harry said his goodbyes to the Malfoys who assured him that he was welcome anytime and that they expected him at Christmas.

“Spinner’s End, Potter,” Severus instructed. Harry stepped into the green flames and said the words the older man had directed him to. He closed his eyes and felt himself leave the manor.

Harry slid out of another fireplace covered in soot with the wind knocked from his body. He stood and looked around the room he had so gracefully entered. There were bookshelves lining the walls and dark curtains hung on the windows, preventing any light from piercing through the mood of gloom. There was little furniture in the room, an old armchairs, a beaten threadbare sofa, a clawed coffee table, and the fireplace Harry had just been spat from. Harry was studying the room so much that he didn’t notice Severus standing in the doorway to another room.

“It’s smaller than Malfoy manor, but I’m afraid you’re going to have to adjust Potter,” the man sneered.

Harry didn’t say anything, he stood waiting to be shown his horrible fate of a room.

“You’re room is upstairs,” Severus said.

Harry looked around very curiously confused because he didn’t remember seeing any stairs. He watched as his teacher walked to one of the bookshelves and pull a book out. The man threw the book on the floor. Harry looked at the Potions Master in surprise, he had always taken the man to have great respect for books.

The book on the floor flew open and began to multiply. The books began forming longer rectangles, stacking and staggering themselves. The bookcase that Severus had taken the book from, moved aside and the book-stairs moved themselves into place. Severus looked at Harry who gave him an incredulous look.

“Well, go on,” Severus motioned.

The dark haired boy apprehensively lifted his foot to the bottom step as if thought it wouldn’t hold his weight. Harry was pleasantly relieved that the stairs were quite sturdy. He made his way slowly until he came to a landing with three doors.

“The door on the right is yours, the left is mine and the middle is the bathroom,” Severus explained.

Harry grabbed the doorknob of the said door and walked inside expecting skulls piled in the corners, cobwebs covering the ceiling, and a coffin for a bed. He gazed around the room and was amazed to discover that it was a completely ordinary.