Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
All Characters belong to J.K. Rowling

Many thanks to my beta ObsidianEmbrace who continues to pull through for me, despite her lingering ill-health.

---

The timeline is adapted for the purposes of my story, so if it seems off, it is because my story wouldn't work unless I changed the date of the Final Battle from sometime in May, to early September. So Harry is seventeen, just defeated Voldemort, and is returning to Hogwarts to resume his studies for his final year. The term had already started, and it took several weeks for the renovations to the castle, so this would bring us to late September, or early October.
Overindulgence

When I get hold of my dear son, I'm going to put him into a full body-bind, Severus decided furiously, as he lifted his tender limbs from the cold dungeon floor. Blinding pain seared through his skull, and he tottered as he fought to stop the world from spinning around him. Again he cursed his new-found son; his fingers itched to wrap themselves around the boy's scrawny neck!

Severus wasn't quite sure how he made it to his lab, but he knocked over several phials of potions as he grappled at the bottles swimming before his eyes on the shelves before he finally found the correct one. He popped open the cork of the pain relief potion with shaky hands, and quickly downed the bitter-tasting liquid; soothing relief gently eased away the pain almost immediately.

Now what? Severus wondered. Right now, he didn't trust himself not to throttle the boy, and Minerva would accuse him of handling the situation all wrong. But dammit, he just wasn't good at this sort of thing. I don't know how to do subtle, he thought to himself. I am comfortable with direct, and forceful. I'm not the mollycoddling type, Severus thought in disgust. No. If Minerva expected him to have a nice fluffy bonding session with Potter, she was sadly mistaken. He would not change his whole personality to have a relationship with his son. Especially not a son who had just hexed him.

Lily would be ashamed of you, thrummed through his thoughts like a chant--repeating over and over again.

Severus grabbed a random phial off the shelf, not stopping to consider if its contents were combustible, and threw it across the room in frustration. The phial cracked against the ancient brick wall, with a pop and a hiss; splattering the liquid on the floors and walls of the lab; the glass shattering, sending minute shards flying through the air. Severus shielded his face from the flying debris, and strangling smoke-filled air, as he was thrown back with the force of the explosion. Once again, Severus lay stunned on the cold dungeon floor. Once again cursing the fact that he had had a hand in the procreation of one Harry bloody Potter!

----

Severus' hand was poised to knock on Minerva's door, when he noticed it was open a crack, and he could hear voices within. Severus almost spun around to flee when he realised that those voices belonged to Weasley, Granger and Potter's little girlfriend, but was stopped in his tracks, when he heard the words, “Harry left Hogwarts.

Severus knocked lightly on the door, and entered the room.

He smirked when he noticed Weasley's face drain of all colour, and his eyes widen in horror. Granger and Miss Weasley looked as though they would like nothing better than to flee the room. Severus revelled in the fact that he was so easily able to intimidate children. He hadn't lost his touch, he thought in satisfaction.

Minerva looked at Severus with anxious eyes. “Harry has left Hogwarts.”

Severus lifted his eyebrow. “Yes, I heard Minerva,” he answered in a silky drawl.

Ginny glared at Severus. “Yeah, and it's all your fault,” she added furiously. “You provoked him.”

Minerva directed a shocked look at Ginny. “Miss Weasley!” She reprimanded. “Apologize to Professor Snape this instant.”

Ginny gritted her teeth. “I'm sorry Professor,” she ground out, not looking in the least apologetic.

Severus barely held his temper in check. How dare this slip of a girl speak to him in such a manner!

“Mr. Potter didn't need much provocation Miss Weasley,” Sevrus responded acerbically. “He was like a time-bomb ready to explode at any moment.”

“And you were just ready to pull the pin, weren't you Professor?” Ginny snapped.

“Miss Weasley! That is quite enough!” Minerva admonished sternly.

Ginny crossed her arms stubbornly.

Severus' expression grew thunderous. “Unless you would like to spend every night until the end of term in detention, Miss Weasley, I suggest that you seal your lips and keep your opinions to yourself,” he spat furiously.

Ron and Hermione looked on in stunned disbelief that Ginny would have the nerve to stand up to the murderous-looking man, looming over her menacingly. They didn't think that any student, who valued their life, that is, would ever dare to say such things to Professor Snape, the most feared Professor at Hogwarts. Ironically, the only other student who had ever had the courage to talk back to the stern Professor, was Harry!

Ginny ignored the irate man's threat, and continued with her tirade. “You know Professor, all Harry ever wanted was a family. He would have given anything to have a father, growing up; someone to care for him. Why do you think that he brought you back from the Veil? He wanted to give you a second chance, but deep down he wanted someone to belong to. He thought that because you cared so much for his mother, that you'd at the very least give him a chance. But no, you spit in his face, continued to treat him like dirt, despite the fact that you were in love with his mother. What would she think of you Professor?”

Severus' face blanched. “How dare you,” he whispered.

Minerva wanted to reprimand the audacity of the girl, but found she couldn't force herself to admonish Miss Weasley for speaking the truth.

Ginny's face was flushed and her eyes were flashing with anger. “I'm going to go find Harry. He must have been desperate to take off like this. He's probably scared and confused, and feels like no one gives a damn about him.” She gave Severus a pointed look.

Ginny turned towards the door; Ron and Hermione on her heels.

“No... wait,” Severus said quietly.

Ginny spun back around to stare at him in surprise.

I'll go find him,” Severus stated firmly.

Ron and Hermione shared stunned looks.

“What?” Ginny responded incredulously. “No. I-”

Minerva laid an arm on Ginny's shoulder and shook her head.

Minerva was shocked and extremely pleased at Severus' offer to go after Harry. It was a small, but positive sign that Severus was going to make an effort towards forming a relationship with Harry.

“It is past curfew.” Minerva gave a pointed look towards the three young Gryffindors. “I suggest that you return to your dorms, and I-”

But Professor-” the trio objected in unison.

“No buts,” Minerva insisted firmly. She shooed them towards the door. “I will inform you when Professor Snape has some news.

Ginny glared mutinously at the professors. Why should Snape be the one to go after Harry? He had done nothing but make Harry's life hell. Did Snape really think that he could make up for all the misery that he had caused Harry over the years--in one fell swoop?

Ginny gritted her teeth in frustration as she was unceremoniously shoved out the door.

“Severus,” Minerva looked up at him, her eyes shining with emotion. “You have to bring him back to Hogwarts. You have to do everything in your power to convince him that he is not safe on his own, and that he needs help,” Minerva pleaded. “It is imperative that you choose your words carefully, and don't alienate him any further.” Minerva looked directly into his eyes. “Let him see what Lily saw Severus. Let him see the man that you really are,” she said softly.

“I'm not sure if he'll listen to me Minerva. I'm not certain that I possess the self-discipline to control my temper when I'm around him. The boy infuriates me with his cocky attitude and defiant behaviour. I see only James Potter when I look at him,” Severus said disgustedly.

“But he's not James Potter. James Potter isn't his father... you are,” Minerva said softly. “Harry is your son; yours and Lily's. Go there with an open mind; start with a blank slate, and pretend that you're meeting your son for the first time. Erase any preconceived notions that you have about him, and allow yourself to get to know him; really know him.” Minerva's features softened. “I think that you'll be surprised at what you'll find. Your son is a remarkable young man Severus. He possesses a strength and courage I 've rarely seen in one so young. You may not think so, but he possesses many of your traits as well, Severus.”

Severus snorted. Obviously his trademark temper, that was for sure.

Minerva smiled as if she could read his mind. “Other than your temper, Severus. Although, I must say, that when that boy is in a snit, Merlin help the one who's the target of his ire,” she said with a smile. “But that's not all Severus. He has your courage, your strength, and of course, your stubbornness,” Minerva said with a twinkle in her eye.

Severus set his jaw. “Well, don't expect me to turn into some spineless milksop Minerva; I am who I am.”

Minerva studied Severus' anxious features. “No one is expecting you to be anyone other than who you are Severus. Try to allow yourself to be open to the possibilities. Reach out to Harry...be his father. All I ask is that you curb that acid tongue of yours a little,” she added amusedly.

Severus shot her a scathing look. “If you think for one minute that I'm about to hug Potter...bo-bond,” he spit out distastefully, “and suddenly, we'll be this happy family, you are sadly mistaken Minerva.”

Minerva raised an eyebrow. “Trust me Severus, I have no such illusions. I fully expect the two of you to continue to be at each other's throat for a long time to come. I'm not naive enough to believe that you two will instantly have this wonderful father and son relationship. It's going to take a lot of hard work on both your parts, and you'll each have to give and take. It will be a rough road ahead Severus, but you know in your heart that it's what Lily would have wanted.”

Again Severus felt a pang of regret; his heart twisted painfully when he thought of how he had let Lily down—time and time again. He couldn't help it though. It wasn't inherent in his nature to be nice. He had been a lonely, bitter teenager and had become a lonely bitter man. How could he suddenly be a father to a boy he had been conditioned to hate? How could he, Severus Snape ever be a good father to Harry Potter? He would have to change his whole mindset towards the boy.

Again Severus cursed Dumbledore for having forced him to deny his son and pretend to be loyal to a psychotic madman. Perhaps if Severus had been able to acknowledge his son earlier, and build a relationship with him…without any preconceived notions getting in the way, they might have had a chance to form a decent relationship. But now? Severus had serious reservations about whether they would ever be able to put their past grievances towards each other aside and build a solid foundation of trust and affection.

Not bloody likely, Severus thought bitterly.

Severus shook himself out of his musings, and brought the conversation back to the subject at hand. What to do about his hotheaded son.

Severus racked his brains. He didn't know his son well enough to guess where he might have fled to in the state that he was in. Where would the foolish boy have gone, where he would have felt safe and secure?

Severus pinched the bridge of his nose, to stave off the impending ache that was beginning to form in his head. “Minerva, where do I even begin to start looking for Potter?”

Minerva sighed. “That is a good question Severus. The only place that comes to mind is headquarters. It perhaps would be a source of comfort to Harry. It was his godfather's home, after all, and it is now legally Harry's. Yes...that would be the obvious choice. You should look there first,” she stated firmly.

Severus nodded. A knot was beginning to form in the pit of his stomach. He was in unknown territory here. What if he said the wrong thing again? What if he were to make matters worse? It wasn't always easy to control his inclination towards biting sarcasm and downright nastiness. Diplomacy and sensitivity were not exactly Severus' forté. Perhaps he should have let the golden trio fetch their friend back. If the situation was handled improperly; if Severus was to say something that ticked off the volatile time-bomb that was Harry Potter, the boy could flee again and he would be lost to them.

Minerva seemed to have guessed Severus' insecurities and attempted to reassure him. “Severus... you'll do fine. Just imagine what Lily would say,” she advised gently.

“I am not Lily, Minerva,” Severus pointed out bitterly. “I don't have her penchant for saying the right thing at the right time. Far from it,” he said caustically. “I am more likely to set Potter off again, by putting my foot in my mouth.”

Minerva patted him on the shoulder. Severus raised his eyebrow and glared at the long fingers that dared to touch his person. Minerva immediately withdrew her hand, as if she were touching hot coals. Honestly-- this man was as prickly as a cactus. It's a wonder that he had ever gotten close enough to Lily to have impregnated her at all.

Now, back to to business,” Minerva said in a no-nonsense voice. “You can use the Floo in Albus' office. It is directly connected to Grimmauld Place. I'm convinced that you’ll find Harry there.”

“Finding Potter is the easy part Minerva. Convincing him to come back to Hogwarts will be like pulling teeth. I think I have made an error in judgement.” Severus looked at Minerva with a pained expression. ” “I think perhaps it would have been more prudent to allow Miss Weasley and the other two annoying Gryffindors to go speak with him. He would have been more inclined to listen to them.”

”No,” Minerva responded firmly. “It has to be you. Harry's friends have no concept of the danger that they are dealing with; how dangerous it could be for Harry to be on his own. It is imperative that he be here, supervised by someone who can deal with his mood swings and help him clear his system of this Dark Magic. He needs someone who won't take no for an answer. He must come back with you. You must be firm with him Severus.”

Severus raised an eyebrow at that statement. “Oh, don't fear Minerva. He's coming with me whether he likes it or not. “We still need to have a little discussion about the hex he threw at me”, he muttered to himself.”

Minerva's eyes widened in surprise. “Excuse me?”

“It's not important Minerva,” Severus said impatiently. “I should go as quickly as possible.”

“Yes, of course,” Minerva agreed.

----

Severus picked up a handful of Floo powder, and stared at the flickering flames before him. He asked himself again just why he had volunteered to do this. He really wanted to do this for Lily and for Po-for his son. The guilt was overwhelming. Everyone was right, Lily would have been very ashamed of the way he had treated his son. He couldn't honestly say, however, that he had any paternal feelings for his son yet, but he would try to at least temper his habit of baiting the boy. He could do that, couldn't he?

Severus wasn't actually sure if he would be able to change, but he wouldn't know if he didn't at least make an effort, right? He didn't really want to change, in all honesty. He was perfectly happy being nasty, in his nasty little world. It kept everyone at bay, didn't it? No one tried to get close to him, no one tried to care about him. That was perfectly fine with Severus. After all, if no one cared about him, then he didn't have to care about them. You lost people you cared about. They rejected you. They died. It was much better to not let yourself care to begin with....

“Severus, are you alright?” Minerva's concerned voice snapped him out of his reverie.

“Yes,” Severus assured her.

Not really, he thought to himself. I'm terrified of facing a seventeen-year-old boy. Me. Severus Snape. The man who can make children actually wet themselves with a mere look.

Severus couldn't honestly blame Potter if he rejected him. After all, he had snubbed the boy's efforts to bring him back from the veil, refused to acknowledge him as his son; treated him like cow dung. Severus would be lucky if the boy didn't throw another hex at him. Oh yes, I'll be ready this time Potter. Now, anger replaced fear. Yes…anger he could deal with. It was familiar to him. Fear was unknown. The bloody boy had hexed him! Severus still couldn't believe that he had been so taken off guard that Potter had been able to best him.

Enough of this. Are you a man or a mouse, Severus Snape?

Minerva stared at the pasty-faced man before her. Good Merlin, the man looked as though he was facing a firing squad. Honestly!

“Severus, are you alright?” She inquired again.

“Yes,” he snapped.

Severus drew in a deep breath, threw in the floo powder, causing the flames to turn a glittering green and red.

Minerva watched with trepidation as Severus, adorned in his usual attire of flowing black robes, was swept up in the sparkling lick of flames. Good luck Severus. You're going to need it, she thought to herself as she crossed her fingers.

----

Severus swept the soot from his crisp black robes, and glanced around the empty parlour. It hadn't changed much, had it? It was still dreary and dilapidated. The walls were stained yellow, the paint peeling; the carpet old and frayed. There was no sign of Potter, and Severus was loathe to explore the many rooms of the house of Black.

The sounds of shattering glass startled Severus' introspection. It came from the kitchen, he realised. He made his way slowly, cautiously-- wand at the ready, for any sign of trouble. Stealthily, he advanced, prepared for any eventuality... Except one.

What he saw when he entered the kitchen, made Severus want to throttle the young fool before him-- within an inch of his life. Sitting at the kitchen table, arms splayed before him, head resting on the tabletop, surrounded by various bottles of alcoholic beverages, including the liquid fire known as fire-whiskey; the floor littered with glass and empty bottles, was a very inebriated Harry Potter.

Severus stood for several minutes simply processing the scene before him. Severus was seething. There was enough alcohol in here to fill a tavern. A man three times Potter's size would be reduced to a blubbering puddle of goo. How much had the boy consumed? If the empty bottles on the floor were any indication, and the half-full bottles on the table were anything to go by; Harry Potter was seriously, dangerously plastered.

The boy had always been small for his age and weighed very little. Severus had always wondered why Potter had always looked underweight and underfed. The lack of height had always puzzled Severus as well. Even before he had known of their familial connection, he had questioned why Potter was so puny for his age, when James was not a small man. But then, he had assumed that Potter had simply inherited Lily's delicate bone structure and height. Still, the boy had never looked healthy, and Severus had begun to wonder if perhaps Potter's small stature, had another explanation. Even now, in manhood, he looked far from being a young man of seventeen. He could easily pass for a boy of fourteen.

Severus was furious with Potter for losing control like this, but his anger was also laced with fear. Potter could not possibly handle this much liquor, and he was in danger of suffering alcohol poisoning. I must get him back to Hogwarts, he thought. And here I was worried about the effects of Dark Magic on Potter, when there was more danger of him suffering the very common Muggle malady of having one-too-many.

Severus noticed Potter's wand on the floor and picked it up. It was soaked in alcohol, and began shooting red and gold sparks, when Severus grabbed hold of it. Anger once more replaced the fear. How could the boy be so irresponsible as to treat his wand so carelessly? Severus was thankful that at least Potter was alone, and had not gone to a bar, where the danger of being inebriated would have been tenfold. The boy could have gotten himself into a very tricky situation, and without full control of his faculties, could have placed himself in serious danger. As it was, watching the boy out-cold, head lying on the kitchen table, Severus realised that Potter was more of a danger to himself right now.

“Potter.” Severus roughly shook Harry's bony shoulders, causing him to jerk upright.

Wh-aat,” Harry said with a slur. He grappled around for his glasses, which had obviously fallen off of his face. He knocked several more bottles on the floor, causing them to crash.

Severus spotted Harry’s glasses on the far end of the table and handed them to the confused Potter.

When it was obvious that Harry was incapable of putting on his glasses without aide, Severus huffed and pushed Harry's glasses over the bridge of his nose, and placed the arms over his ears. Harry, in the meantime, was trying to bat Severus' hands out of the way.

“N-nooo, le-leave mmm-ee a-a-alone, I ca-can d-oo it-it my-my-self,” Harry spit out angrily.

When the fuzzy haze began to clear somewhat, causing Harry to see three Snapes, he sprang to his feet, albeit somewhat wobbly. “Whha-t t-the hell are you doing here Snna-Snaaaape?” Harry said furiously; tottering on his shaky legs.

“I've come to rescue you from yourself, obviously,” Snape said acerbically.

“Go aa-waaay, le-ave meee aloooone,” Harry drawled, blinking heavily as he wobbled. “Yo-ou're noot wel-coome heere. Th-iiis is-”

Severus caught him before he fell down flat on his face.

“You're coming with me Potter.” With that he swung Harry over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

Harry began to beat at Snape's back and shoulder's. Well, as best as he could anyway, hanging over Snape's shoulder and drunk out of his tree. “P-puuut me do-own…gre-greasy gii…giit.”

Enough Potter!” Snape bellowed furiously. “We are going back to Hogwarts, where I believe a cold shower is in order, as well as plenty of coffee and potions, until you are coherent enough to see reason. Now cease this thrashing around, and shut that trap of yours, or I will seal your lips for you,” Snape threatened menacingly.

Even in his inebriated state, Harry realised that he was at a serious disadvantage swinging over Snape's shoulder as he was. Snape's grip around his waist was too strong, and the man was twice his size, so he wisely did as he was told, grunted indignantly and clamped his mouth shut. Unfortunately, the jostling motion of swinging back and forth over Snape's shoulder was causing Harry to feel sick to his stomach, and he couldn't prevent the nausea from rising up, and-

Severus stared down in disgust at his robes, that were now soaked with the contents of Harry's stomach. Severus flicked his wand, whispered a cleaning spell and his robes were as fresh and crisp as before.

“Severus Snape's quarters,” Severus yelled as he threw a handful of Floo powder into the fireplace.

Harry was horrified when he realised where they were heading, but his fear of Snape following through on his threat, his traitorous stomach, and his off-kilter equilibrium, made Harry powerless to prevent it.

Before he knew it, Harry was sitting down in the bathtub, jittering from the freezing cold spray of water raining down on him. He sat there spewing a colourful array of expletives towards his dear father.

“I believe that is enough,” smirked Severus. He yanked Harry up by the arm, and threw a towel over his shoulders.

“I hate you,” Harry spit out through chattering teeth.

Yes well, as much as that saddens me Potter,” Severus drawled; sounding anything but saddened, “we will now begin step two of sobering you up. “Now, as we can't have you dripping water on my clean floor...” Severus cast a drying charm on Harry clothes, and guided, or more likely roughly shoved him into a seat on his couch.

“Stay there,” Snape ordered curtly.

Harry glared at him, through hazy vision. He wasn't quite up to par yet. He was still quite inebriated, and didn't yet have the strength or the presence of mind to protest Snape's rough treatment.

“What the hell is this?” Harry demanded, as he stared down into a vile-looking mustard-coloured liquid.

“It will rid your body of the toxins you have poisoned it with by your over-indulgence,” Snape sneered.

“Well, I'm not drinking this crap,” Harry replied stubbornly. He held out the cup for Snape to take it back.

“I beg to differ,” Snape replied in a hard voice. “Now drink it, or I will shove it down your throat; the choice is yours Potter,” Snape replied maleovantly.

Harry wanted to throw the damned potion in the greasy git's ugly face. Deciding that he wouldn't win this fight, Harry downed the foul-tasting potion in one shot, gagging and sputtering, until it was all gone.

“What did you put in this; it tastes like shit.” Harry grimaced.

“Believe me when I say that you don't want to know, Potter,” Snape said caustically. “Now, this should be a bit more palatable. He handed Harry a steaming cup of piping-hot strong coffee.

Although the coffee was rather bitter; along with the disgusting potion, Harry’s head began to clear and he, unfortunately, became aware of his surroundings, as well as his unfortunate situation.

“Why did you bring me here?” Harry asked angrily. He stood up, on still-shaky legs. “I'm going back to Grimauld Place.”

“I think not,” Snape drawled. He pushed Harry back down onto the couch.

“What do you plan on doing, Snape? Keeping me prisoner here? I'm seventeen. I'm of age. You can't keep me here against my will. I want to leave. Now!” Harry replied furiously. Harry searched his back pocket for his wand. He couldn't remember what he'd done with it. Oh Merlin, he thought. I really did get pissed, didn't I?. Suddenly, what seemed like a good idea at the time, seemed very foolish now.

“And where the hell is my wand?” he demanded. “Give it back, Snape.”

Snape dangled the wand before Harry's face. “I'm keeping this until you are capable of using it appropriately, and safely.”

Harry attempted to bolt out of his seat again, only to be once again pushed back down again by Snape's strong arm.

“For once in you life, listen to reason Potter. Read my lips,” Snape leaned in closer to Harry, until his face was within an inch of Harry's. “You are being controlled by Dark Magic. It's not safe for you to be in possession of your wand right now, nor is it safe for you to be on your own. You have little control of your own actions at the moment, and if I were to allow you to have your wand back, you could lose control and seriously maim or kill someone. How would you feel if you were to hurt one of your friends, Potter? Would you be able to live with yourself, then?”

Harry's face crumpled. It was true. He was a menace to everyone. No one was safe near him. What if he hurt Ron or Hermine…or Ginny?

“I don't particularly care if you hate my guts right now,” Snape continued. “This is for your own good Potter,” he said firmly. “Whether you believe me or not, whether you like it or not, I'm not leaving you on your own until I'm certain that it is safe to do so. You're not getting rid of me Potter, so you might as well relax and stop fighting me, because I assure you I'm not going anywhere, and neither are you. All I can give you now is my promise to protect you and stand by your side, until you are well again. Whether you accept that or not is your choice, and we can do this the hard way or the easy way, but ultimately you will do as I say,” Snape said sternly. “So what will it be, Potter? Will you continue to fight me, or will you work with me and help you get on your feet faster?”

Severus felt a pang of regret as he studied Potter's pale, anxious features. He looked so young for his years. For all his proclamations of being of age, for all of his firm belief that because he was seventeen, he was a man now, Potter still looked like a lost little boy. It was hard to think of this scrawny looking boy as a fully-grown man, with his own opinions and the right to decide his own life. Perhaps with time, Severus would be able to view the young man before him as anyone other than the boy who had been a thorn in his side for the past six years.

Perhaps Minerva was right. Perhaps it was time let go of past grievances. Could they ever get past this hurdle and really form a father and son relationship? All he knew at this moment was that his son was in serious trouble, and Severus made a firm commitment to himself that no matter what, he would protect his son, and do whatever was necessary to help him get rid of the Dark Magic invading his system.

The only problem now was, despite the numerous books that Severus had read on the subject, he was still no further to finding a solution to the problem.

--

It was ironic that all it took for Harry to believe that Snape sincerely wanted to help him, were those simple words, I don't care if you hate my guts. This is for your own good. One thing was certain, Snape had never been one to mince words. Yes, he was blunt. No, he was not a nice man. But when Snape made a promise, he followed through. As much as Harry wanted to spit in the man's face and tell him to go to hell, he knew that would only be cutting off his nose to spite his face. Harry had wished for someone to rely on, someone to offer him support and guidance; maybe it was time to allow his father to do just that.

“Fine,” Harry agreed reluctantly.

“Splendid,” Snape drawled. “Perhaps a good meal would not go amiss.” He eyed Harry's thin frame, and the dark circles under his eyes. “And a good night's sleep as well, I believe.”

At the mention of food Harry felt nauseous again. Though Snape's potion had helped a great deal, Harry suspected that maybe Snape was trying to teach him a lesson, and was letting him suffer the after-effects of a hangover. His stomach revolted at the thought of food, and his head was pounding incessantly.

Ugh , no food,” Harry replied with disgust. “Can you give me something for my headache?”

Snape smirked. “You've had enough potions Potter. Perhaps next time you will think twice before over-indulging on alcoholic spirits.”

“I'm of age. I can drink as much as I want,” Harry replied defiantly.

“Then you can suffer the ill-effects of your foolishness,” Snape said smugly. He went over to the Floo and ordered some food from the kitchens.

-----

Half an hour later, Harry was sitting at Snape's table eating bland-looking broth, and sipping on black tea. Snape was right, Harry admitted to himself reluctantly. The broth did help settle his stomach somewhat, and the tea dulled the persistent ache in his head. Harry began to feel drowsey. He narrowed his eyes at Snape.

“Did you put something in this tea?” Harry demanded suspiciously.

Snape smirked.“Whatever would give you that idea?”

When it looked as though Harry's face would end up in his soup, Snape took pity on him. He rose from his seat, and grabbed hold of Harry under his arms, guiding him to the couch. He gently lay (well, as gently as Severus Snape was capable of) Harry down on the couch, pulling the covers up over the now-sleeping boy, and breathed a sigh of relief.

For now, Potter was safe and sound. Tomorrow the hard work would begin. Tomorrow, Severus had to devise a plan to deliver his son from the clutches of evil.

How Severus would do this, he had no idea. He extinguished the lanterns, and stared down at his sleeping son for a few moments. Severus stared at the young face before him, looking so innocent in its repose. It was easy to forget all the animosity that existed between them.

Severus' stomach churned with anxiety. Again he felt that suffocating feeling of perhaps biting off more than he could chew. Would he be able to help his son? Or would he simply let Lily down again?

Severus retired to his room. As he lay his head down on his pillow, allowing exhaustion to overwhelm him, he remembered his promise to Lily. Somehow he would find a way to help Po-Harry. Somehow they would find their way, and become father and son.

Severus allowed his heavy eyelids to close, and drifted off to sleep... thinking of Lily.

Chapter End Notes:
The daunting task of ridding Harry's system of Dark Magic occupies our Potions Master. Perhaps he needs outside help.

Severus and Harry are finally becoming closer to understanding one another. Not everyone wants Harry and Severus to become closer, however... I'm really looking forward to my 100th review. Hint, hint! How about my 100th reviewer gets ice-cream. Your choice of flavour! ;)