Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
It all belongs to JK. Thanks to Tabitha for taking the time to beta this for me.

Sorry for the long delay in updating. I had a serious bout of writer's block.
Slow Road to Recovery

"There is no way that I'm getting in that," Harry declared quite determinedly, through his chattering teeth, after dipping one toe in the ice cold water. The hair on his pale legs stood up and the goose bumps were popping up all over his shivering body.

"Hmm...we'll see about that," smirked Severus with a swish of his wand.

Harry's body jerked quite suddenly, and before he knew it, he nose-dived into the icy depths of the pool.

"I can't swim, you greasy git," shrieked Harry in terror; just before he was consumed by the frothy water.

Severus felt a flutter of panic in his stomach. He cast a quick buoyancy charm, and Harry bobbed up like an apple, spurting water from his mouth like a fish.

He glared at Severus. "And just how is drowning going to help me learn Occlumency better," sputtering and coughing, as though to prove his point.

Severus smirked at him. "Do you honestly believe that I would allow you to drown Potter?"

"Yes," Harry snapped.

"Ye of little faith," Severus said mockingly.

Severus incanted an impermeable charm to render his robes waterproof. He breathed a silent sigh of relief that Harry had suffered no ill-effects. Fatherhood was proving to be quite tiresome. He'd been forced to deal with emotions that had never surfaced before. Worry, and fear over his son's well-being. Severus honestly didn't know how he would have handled a young child. Although being the father of a teenager was definitely giving him grey hairs.

Severus didn't respond but swished his wand once again. Harry flipped over on his back, and gritted his teeth, but before he could curse his father, the water suddenly warmed substantially and aromatic vapours rose from the surface of the water and wafted to his nostrils, and every muscle in his body that Harry had clenched, relaxed until he felt that he was floating.

Harry had never felt so relaxed in his life. The sun filtered in through the high stain-glass windows sending a rainbow of colours as the light bounced off the shimmering water. A mermaid with fiery red hair flitted from window to window, singing a hypnotic sweetly-mournful song. Harry felt like he was in a safe cocoon of warmth and he closed his eyes for a moment. It was as though all the stress and chaos that he'd experienced in the past few weeks melted into nothingness. He felt as though he was floating on jelly, and the rhythmic motion of the water beneath him, lulled Harry into a sense of careless abandonment. He was flying through the clouds, and harsh reality was a universe away. All the burdens and that had been placed upon his frail shoulders since the moment he was born, was exiled to the farthest recesses of his mind, under lock and key.

Severus felt a glimmer of satisfaction when he saw his son's young face; peaceful in its repose, with his eyes closed and a small smile touching his lips. His heart twisted; this is how Harry should have looked all the time, he thought with a pang of regret. It was unfathomable that a young man of just seventeen years old should appear so world-weary, and tense. It wasn't fair that his son had had to endure such pain and suffering, such tragedy. The boy had lived through experiences in his short life that most men twice his age had never had to endure.

Well, enough of recriminations and self-pity, Severus admonished himself. It never accomplished anything, regretting past actions, as he'd told himself and Harry a thousand times before.

"Okay, Potter. I believe that you've lazed around long enough. Time to get out now"

Harry's eyes flew open as the water cooled suddenly. His teeth were chattering again, and he was sure that his lips had turned blue. He glared at his father who had his arms crossed, staring at him with a satisfied smirk on his face. With a wave of his wand, Severus lifted the buoyancy charm, and Harry began to sink again.

"I still don't know how to swim you know, you slimy-" were Harry's last words just before swallowed a mouthful of chlorinated water. Just when Harry thought that he would meet a watery grave, he sprung up like a Jack-in-the-box. He felt a splatter of water on his face, and looked incredulously at the ducky floater before him.

Severus smirked at him. "Put it on Potter, and it'll pull you to the edge of the pool."

Harry glared at his father. "I really hate you sometimes you know," he grumbled.

The floater pulled Harry to the edge of the pool, where a smirking Severus put his arm out to pull him in. If Harry had of had the strength and the will, he would have pulled the greasy git into the pool with him. However, since he presently had a rubber ducky floater around his waist--was shivering, his teeth were chattering, and the minute fact that he couldn't swim, made him rethink that plan.

Harry grabbed onto Severus' hand and gritted his teeth as Severus yanked him unceremoniously out of the pool, with the ducky floater still around his waist. Harry was just grateful that Ginny wasn't here to see this undignified scene.

Ooh, the large fluffy towel that Severus had handed him, had been spelt with a heating charm, and felt so warm and cozy against his chilled skin. He'd be damned if he would thank the git though, Harry thought angrily.

"Why don't you go get dressed, and we'll go have some dinner. Tomorrow we'll start on the next phase of your preparations for Occlumency training," Severus quirked his lips in amusement.

Harry scoffed. "Oh, and what does that involve exactly?"

Severus chuckled. "You'll see."

Harry looked at his father suspiciously.

"Never fear my son. I would never allow harm to come to you."

"Hmm, why am I finding that hard to believe?" Harry huffed.

----

Slap. "Harry!"

"Ow!" Harry screeched. "Why'd you hit me?" Harry asked in a wounded voice.

"Because your father's going to be home soon, and I’d really rather he not find me in your bedroom, lying on your bed, and, doing... you know--" She blushed furiously.

"Oh come on Ginny. We're adults, and we really weren't even doing anything." Unfortunately, he added under his breath. He pulled Ginny closer to him. She tried to get up, but her legs were firmly wrapped in the blanket.

A creak of a door opening in the background sobered the both of them into action.

"Harry, where are you?" A deep voice asked from the other room

Ginny sent a horrified look to Harry. "Oh my God! He's home," she whispered, as she frantically tried to release her captured limbs from the throes of the twisted blanket.

"Calm down Ginny." He helped her untwist her legs and pulled her off his bed. He gently brushed a strand of hair from her eyes, pulled her close and kissed her lightly on the lips. Oh Merlin, he thought. He didn't know how much longer he would be able to endure this celibacy. It would seem that a lot of cold showers were in his future, as they had both decided that the time just wasn't right to give into their desires. Harry began to regret that decision.

"Calm down?" Ginny exclaimed. "Your father lives in the Victorian Ages, Harry. How do you think that he's going to react, finding me in your bedroom?"

Before Harry had a chance to respond, there was a brisk knock, and the door swung open to reveal a very irritated looking Snape. That irritation turned to tight-lipped disapproval upon noticing that the covers on Harry's bed were in disarray, and Harry and Ginny's clothes were disheveled.

"It's not what you think Severus," Harry said quickly, his face flaming.

Severus raised an eyebrow. "Oh do enlighten me Potter."

"We were just, uh-" Harry tried desperately to come up with something that would be less incriminating, but no matter what scenario he came up with-- it sounded bad!

Severus pursed his lips in disapproval. "It is highly inappropriate for a young lady to be in a young gentleman’s chambers alone, without a chaperone."

Harry stared disbelievingly at his father. He burst out laughing. His father had a wonderful sense of humour. Who would have thought?

Suddenly his lips stuck together, and he stared wide-eyed at his father. Oops, he wasn't joking! The man looked furious.

"Obviously, I've not made my position clear enough. You are strictly forbidden from having Miss Weasley or any other female for that matter-"

"He'd better not have any other female-" Ginny stopped abruptly at Severus' murderous look.

"-In your bedroom. As a matter of fact, unless I'm present, you are not to have your female-uh, acquaintances in our quarters at all. Is that clear Potter?" He hissed.

Harry glared at his father. How the hell do you expect me to answer you stupid git, if my lips have been cemented together?

Severus swished his wand and Harry's lips unstuck. He sputtered and coughed, and glared angrily at his father.

"Don't you think that you're being a little prudish Severus? I mean, c'mon we're not living in the Dark ages."

Ginny squeezed her eyes shut. Sometimes Harry was so dense. He just didn't know when to shut up. He just said the first think that came to mind. He really rivaled Ron for sticking his foot in his mouth sometimes. Why couldn't men learn how to smooth situations over, like women were able to? Once again, it seemed as though it would be up to her to play the role of diplomat.

"Sir, we apologise." She sent a warning look to Harry to shut up! "We really weren't doing anything inappropriate-" She began.

"I disagree Miss Weasley, and I'm sure that your parents would agree that a young lady should comport herself with more decorum."

So much for diplomacy. "My parents are a little more open-minded sir," she said through gritted teeth.

"Oh really," Severus sneered. "And do your parents allow you to have Harry in your bedroom?"

"I thought not," Severus said smugly, when Ginny went silent.

"Severus, you are really over-reacting. We're adults and you're totally blowing this out of proportion," Harry said angrily.

"Yes. You are just barely an adult, but Miss Weasley is still a minor, and I don't believe-" Severus held up a finger to silence Ginny's imminent protests, "-that Molly and Arthur would approve of you two frolicking around under the covers."

Harry rolled his eyes. "We weren't frolicking around."

"Then explain to me just what you were doing."

Never mind. There was no way that he was going to explain to Severus, just what they were doing. Better to end this conversation. Right now. His face felt like it was on fire. How embarrassing. He was just too old to be having a conversation about the birds and the bees with his father.

"Now that we've settled that, let me make it perfectly clear. You will abide by my rules while you reside under my roof. I don't care how old you are," he said sternly. "Is that clear?" He narrowed his eyes at Harry's defiant look.

Harry rolled his eyes. "Perfectly." I can't wait till I'm back in the Tower, he grumbled under his breath. He was becoming thoroughly sick of Severus treating him as though he was a little child. Then he felt a pang of guilt. Severus was trying to make up for lost time, and dealing with feelings that were foreign to both of them. Harry knew that many of Severus' views were rather old-fashioned. As a matter of fact, it had taken Harry a long time to get used to the fact, that much of the Wizarding world lives in the dark ages. The whole idea of living without all the so-called Muggle conveniences. Electricity, Muggle appliances such as the telly, and computers, was second nature for the man, even though he had grown up with a Muggle father. A wizard preferred to play chess and read a good book, than to sit in front of a box with moving pictures on it. It boggled the mind. Harry shook his head. He was beginning to feel some affection for the dark man before him, and there were just some idiosyncrasies that he would have to accept from the man. His backward way of thinking would have to be one, he grudgingly accepted. Besides...perhaps he could bring his father into the twentieth century, eventually.

Severus suddenly remembered why he had been looking for Harry to begin with before he had gotten sidetracked by other matters, he thought disgustingly.

"Now, there are some things that we need to discuss, so perhaps it would be prudent to move to the parlour."

Harry put an arm around Ginny's shoulders, as she still looked extremely insulted by Severus' insinuations. He ignored the dark look that Severus sent them.

After they were seated in the parlour, Severus' expression became serious.

"Horace has just arrived Harry, and he wishes to meet with you, myself, Minerva and Albus, to discuss how we are going to proceed with extracting the Dark Magic that's taken over your mind."

Harry shuddered. He really wished that Severus wouldn't emphasize all the time how he was practically being possessed.

"I'd like for Ginny, Ron and Hermione to be part of the discussion Severus," Harry said firmly.

Severus nodded. "Of course. They will be an integral part of your healing process. From what I understand--from what I have researched myself, it will not be a matter of a simple spell, and then you'll be cured. Anyway, I don't wish to discuss this further until we are all a part of the conversation."

"So when does Slughorn want to meet?" Harry asked worriedly. He just really wanted to get this over, as quickly as possible. Harry was tired of constantly living in fear of losing control.

"Professor Slughorn to you," Severus admonished.

Oh for Merlin's sake, the man was wound up tighter than a top. He really should take out that giant potion's book that was stuck up his arse.

"We've arranged to meet in Albus' office, this evening.”Perhaps you could inform Mr. Weasley, and Miss Granger to be there promptly at seven this evening."

"Yeah, okay. Let's go Gin," Harry said quickly pulling her up by the arm in his haste to escape his father's watchful eyes.

"Uh, just a moment," Severus' hard voice stopped them in their haste.

"Do I need to remind you to keep control of your emotions, as we've been practicing? You'll exercise caution?" He posed it more as an order than a question.

Harry knew that Severus was referring to the incident with Draco, and Harry was in actuality a little concerned at how he would control himself the next time he confronted the berk. For the past couple of days though, Severus had had him do all manner of relaxation techniques, and exercises to learn self-control—all in preparation of their Occlumency training, of which Severus assured Harry, would be a much different, much more pleasant experience, than it had been in the past.

Although Severus' methods were highly unorthodox, such as the experience in the pool earlier today, Harry was beginning to understand how such techniques would be beneficial in training and strengthening his mind. Severus had explained that very often when we lose control; it is because we've allowed our emotions to overtake our better sense. While feeling emotion, of course, is an essential part of being a human-being, allowing it to dominate our body and mind it is often detrimental to our mental and physical health; thus the exercises that Severus had planned to teach Harry involved how to control heart rate and blood pressure. Some of the techniques that Severus had, and was planning on focusing on, were very simple Muggle methods, such as exercises--including yoga, aerobics, and running, which Severus insisted helped the body produce endorphins that would enable Harry to cultivate a more peaceful and happier frame of mind.

What was most surprising to Harry though, was that although he was still battling Dark forces to maintain control of his own mind, since he had started on a regiment of healthy eating (at Severus' insistence that empty calories such as sugary confections, i.e. the chocolate frogs that Harry was so fond of, was destroying his body.) and regular exercise, Harry felt stronger and healthier. He'd never admit it to Severus, but the man really did know what he was talking about. He had thought that all these ridiculous health and dietary changes that Severus insisted on were a waste of time, but Harry had to admit that Severus' claim that body and mind were one was not a load of bull after all.

While Severus' fussing was beginning to seriously irritate him, Harry held his tongue, because he had not spent the last seventeen years, yearning for a parent who loved and cared for him, only to alienate what he finally had. Oh, of course there were times that he thought, that I'm much too old for this, and it's too late now to have what he'd always wanted—after all, he was all grown-up now, but then he thought well, maybe he'd allow it for his father's sake. The man deserved to have someone to care for and to fuss over, even if Severus would be wholly affronted if Harry were to word it that way, and would vehemently deny such actions.

Harry nodded in affirmation. "I'll be careful Severus. Don't worry."

Harry snickered when Severus bristled at the word worry.

"I'll control myself. I'll try not to knock off any of your Slytherins. Cross my heart, hope to die stick a needle in my eye."

"Potter-" Severus growled.

Harry laughed. "Relax Severus. You really need to lighten up--you know that?"

"I suggest that you take your leave Mr. Potter, before I show you just how light I can be."

Harry's face blanched. "Uh, yeah. C'mon Ginny, “Harry yanked her arm, and dragged her all the way down the corridor, and up to the Tower.

Once they were in the Common room, which was surprisingly empty for a Sunday afternoon, Harry grabbed Ginny in his arms and pulled her onto the sofa, kissing her soundly.

"Harry! You really like to live dangerously, don't you?" She said sternly, while trying to stifle a laugh. Honestly, Harry was really testing her willpower these days. He wanted to snog her at the most inopportune moments. It was getting quite tricky to avoid being caught in a compromising situation, when the silly boy was pulling her into broom-closets, under the stands in the Quidditch pitch, and worst of all trying to hide them both under his invisibility cloak! Harry likes to live on the edge; that was for sure. He had always seemed to be drawn to danger and adventure like a moth to a flame, but this was making it hard to catch her breath. Mind you, she was put in Gryffindor for a reason, and that flaming red hair of hers, was not a wig, so if anyone could keep up with Harry's adventurous spirit, it was Ginny Weasley. Life was never boring with the Boy-Who-Lived!

"Aw, c'mon Ginny. One more-" He smothered her mouth in a kiss, before she could protest, and then started tickling her.

"Harry! Hahahaha...Harrrrrrry--c'm-mon st--op right now,"

"Oh, alright. Party pooper." He laughed.

She wagged a finger at him. "That is quite enough from you Mr. Potter," She said sternly.

"I think that you've been spending too much time with my father. You sound just like him," Harry chuckled.

Ginny looked horrified. She'd come around to respecting the man. Somewhat. But, she certainly didn't want to become a carbon-copy of the uptight, anal...uh, maybe this train of thought was counter-productive. He was Harry's father after all, and the man did care about Harry, even if he could be a total git at times.

Harry twirled Ginny's red locks around his finger and sighed. "I'm sorry about all that with my father Ginny."

"It's alright Harry. You know I was a little pissed off at first, but I guess that he's just acting like a typical father,” she laughed lightly.”I cannot believe I just said that about Snape."

Harry scowled. "Well you know that he's been acting like a right mother hen lately. I'll be glad when everything's back to normal and I've moved back up here. I'm feeling a little claustrophobic, with him hovering over me constantly."

Ginny looked at him thoughtfully. "If anyone had told me a few months ago that Snape was your Dad, and that he would be acting like an over-protective father towards Harry Potter of all people, I would have thought that they were bloody barmy, and reserved them a room in St. Mungos' psychiatric ward."

Harry chuckled. "Yeah, pretty wild, isn't it."

Harry looked at his watch. "Where the hell are Hermione and Ron? It's almost time to go meet with Slughorn, and we've seen neither hide nor hare of either one of them all day."

"I think that they went to Hogsmeade for the day," Ginny offered. She rolled her eyes. "Hermione dragged Ron there, because she heard that a new antique bookstore just opened and that they had some rare tomes on ancient Wizarding history, spells, Charms and such. Oh and even some Muggle books that she's been wanting to get."

"No wonder they're taking so long," Harry chuckled. "Hermione in a bookstore is like a little kid in a sweet shop. Honestly, if I read that much my brain would hurt from over-stimulation."

"I like you just the way you are Harry. Don't go hurting your pretty little brain by becoming too studious."

Harry narrowed his eyes at her. "Hmm...Are you saying that you like me stupid? My marks aren't that bad," he said indignantly. "Well...maybe in Potions," he corrected.

Ginny laughed. "You know that I don't bother with marks Harry. I'm not Hermione." She crinkled her brow in thought. "Come to think of it, it's kind of odd that someone like Hermione would fall for Ron. He'd rather play Exploding Snap or Wizard's Chess, than open a book."

"Well, you know what they say. Opposites attract...and all."

"Oh, and are we opposites too?" She asked mischievously.

Harry's expression became serious. "I like to think of it more that we're soul mates; that we complete each other."

Ginny felt a rush of emotion. "I feel the same way Harry." She cupped his face gently. "You're a hard man to catch Harry Potter--and a hard man to forget." She looked at him with a touch of sadness.

"When you left with Hermione and Ron, to go look for Horcruxes, I thought I'd lost you forever," she said in a husky voice.

"So did I Ginny. I hope--I mean...I hope you understand why I had to let you go," he asked hesitatingly. They had never really dealt with their emotions after he'd defeated Voldemort. They had just really continued where they'd left off, but Harry was sure that Ginny must have harboured some resentment at him for having left her so abruptly without an explanation. He'd never really apologised either.

He looked deeply into her warm brown eyes. "I'm sorry Gin. I didn't mean to hurt you. I was just trying to protect you."

Ginny took his hand and squeezed it. "I know Harry. I always knew. I was hurt at first, yes, but I did understand later that you were only trying to protect me."

Harry felt a lump in his throat. It all came rushing back to him, as though it was yesterday. All the raw emotion and fear that he'd held in—thinking of all he would be giving up...if he died. The hardest part was thinking of Ginny—of never seeing her again. He had to pinch himself to believe that he was sitting here with her; that he had survived, and that Voldemort was finally gone. Sometimes it seemed surreal. Harry was so used to having to worry about everyone he cared for. He had never been allowed even a small happiness, lest he become too complacent and forget the threat that had existed for all of them. He could never truly be happy—but only for a fleeting moment, and then it was gone, and reality hit him like a ton of bricks.

"I couldn't let him know about us Gin. He would have come after you, and I didn't think that I'd survive, and I couldn't sacrifice you for-" Harry choked up with emotion.

"It's alright Harry. Everything's alright now. It's over, and we've got our whole lives ahead of us. And nothing's going to break us apart, ever again," she said fiercely.

Harry pulled her into a tight embrace, and just held her for a few moments; so tightly as if he held on hard enough, then nothing could ever separate them again.

Harry took Ginny's ring finger on her left hand. "When you turn seventeen, I swear I'm putting a ring on that finger," he promised. "So everyone will know that you're mine--That I'm yours."

Ginny's eyes widened in surprise. "I don't need a ring to prove that Harry," she said quietly.

"I know that, but, I want everyone else to know it," Harry said firmly. "Besides, that'll tell the other blokes to keep their paws off my girl," he smiled.

"As much as I appreciate the thought Harry, I'm no wilting rose. I can take care of myself, and I know just how to get rid of unwanted suitors," she said slyly.

Harry chuckled. "I don't doubt it, my little spitfire. Wouldn't want to get on your bad side. I've seen your temper."

Ginny looked at him sternly. "And don't you forget it Mr. Potter. As long as you stay in line, we'll be just fine."

Harry saluted. "Yes Ma'am," said mockingly.

Ginny whacked him.

"I'm going to have bruises all over if you keep that up Gin," he chuckled.

"Well, behave yourself then." She looked at the clock on the wall. "Uh, we'd better go Harry. It's ten to seven. Maybe we could just leave a note for Hermione and Ron, explaining everything."

Harry nodded. "Yeah, better not be late, or my father will probably come looking for us."

"Yeah, you're right. I wouldn't put it past him," she said caustically.

Ginny grabbed a parchment and quill off the desk by the wall, and scribbled a quick note for Hermione and Ron to meet them in Dumbledore's office.

They reluctantly dragged themselves off the couch, and hurried off for their meeting.

Harry nerves were on edge, and he took a deep breath before he knocked on the door to Dumbledore's office. Ginny squeezed his hand in reassurance.

Harry hadn't faced Dumbledore since just after he had viewed his father's memories in the Pensieve. He had really wanted to meet with the man alone, and apologise for his behaviour. Upon reflection, perhaps Dumbledore's actions were not so inconceivable. Severus had been a different man then...Dumbledore had been a different man--circumstances had been different. Harry knew now that sometimes you had to make decisions that broke your heart--that went against every one of your preconceived notions. Sometimes you made decisions for others for whom you were responsible, and although it may seem that you made them lightly, and without regret, sometimes you made the only decision possible although, it was clear only to you.

Harry understood that now. As coldhearted as it may seem; sometimes you must do what is important for the great good--sometimes it was the only course of action. And, while a cruel and harsh reality as it may seem, what was a little child's happiness compared to his precious life? What was a man's hope for the future--if there was no future at all? While the Wizarding World was in the clutches of a cruel and power-hungry man, there had been no room for sentimentality, no room for compassion. Too many lives were at stake. There were bound to be sacrificial lambs--there were bound to be casualties. Severus and Harry had been two of those pawns in the chess game of life. Life was cruel and harsh, but it would also be sweet and kind. The key was vision. You had to keep on moving and living in the present, and keep those dreams of the future alive. When you became complacent, then you withered and died. No, Harry thought. There is too much to look forward to. I have everything I want now--a father, good friends...Ginny. Anger and revenge had no part in his life anymore. He had to make amends with Dumbledore, he had to become whole again, and he had to get his life back. For the first time in a long time, Harry felt like the clouds were parting and letting the sun filter through. Happiness came in little bits in life, and you had to grab it before it was gone.

Harry felt a pang of guilt when he saw the Headmaster's hesitant smile.

"Harry," he said simply.

"Hello Professor," Harry said with a small smile. He tried very hard to convey with a simple look how very much he still cared about the man, and how much he regretted hurting him.

"How are you doing Harry? I know things have been a little difficult for you. For that I apologise, and-," Dumbledore stopped for a moment, "I regret many things my boy; but most of all for any pain that I may have caused you and your father."

Harry flushed. This was something that he would have rather dealt with in private. "I understand sir. I know that you did your best, and I think that all things considered, things have turned out quite well," he said simply.

Albus nodded. He understood what was not said. It was about forgiveness and starting over.

As usual it was up to Severus to dispense with the sentimental crap, and restore order and control of the situation.

"Perhaps it is for the best that you're trapped in a picture frame Albus. Otherwise, I fear that we'd all be holding hands and singing Cumbaya," he sneered.

Other than Harry and Severus, who had had experience with the Muggle world, everyone else looked perplexed at the reference.

Albus, however, chuckled at Severus' familiar irascible demeanour. He smiled and clapped his hands together. "Well then, shall we get started?"

"Novel idea," Severus said sarcastically.

"Severus," Albus warned.

Harry nodded hello to McGonagall and Slughorn, and quickly took his seat before Severus popped a gasket. The man was standing at the back of the room, with his arms crossed and glowering at everyone, while tapping his foot impatiently.

There was a knock at the door, and Minerva looked perplexed. "Who could that be?"

"Oh, we told Hermione and Ron to meet us here," Harry explained.

Minerva nodded, swished her wand and the door swung opened, causing a red-faced Ron to fall flat on his face.

Harry snickered. Ron glared daggers at him.

Severus scowled. "Well? Ply yourself off the floor Weasley, and take a seat. The instructions were to be here at, seven o'clock-- promptly," he sneered.

Ron gritted his teeth, grabbed a chair and plunked himself down angrily. He wanted to tell the man to shove it, but his Gryffindor bravery failed him at that moment.

Hermione, wisely tried to blend into the furniture, and unobtrusively took a chair and sat down. Her face was flushed with embarrassment. They had literally gotten back from shopping, saw the note, and she had grabbed a protesting Ron's hand and pulled him here all the way from the Tower. He had wailed that he was hungry and that the last thing he wanted to do was be trapped in an office with, not one, count them--four professors, one of whom was an uptight control freak. So it was a very irritable, very hungry Ron who sat with in the chair with his arms crossed, glaring at not only Harry's greasy git of a father, but at Hermione as well, for having strong-armed him into coming.

Severus was on the brink of losing control. He clenched his fists, hugging his arms to his side. “If we are we quite finished with all these disturbances, can we proceed,” he barked.

Ron glared at Harry, who understood the message very well, that it was all his fault for Snape berating him, not only for insisting that he come, but for having an evil bat as a father. Harry smiled at his best friend, only making Ron scowl even more.

Harry chuckled to himself. He could hear Ron's stomach grumbling and knew that the boy was fierce when he was hungry. He'd have to make it up to him by convincing the House Elves to prepare a feast for the ravenous teen.

“Now,” Dumbledore's soft, yet authoritive voice interrupted his reverie. “ Shall we begin. Horace, would you like to explain what your research has uncovered thus far?”

“Yes of course Albus,” Horace nodded.

Harry thought that the man looked a trifle bit nervous, which didn't help to settle his nerves at all.

Now, Severus and I have been discussing what means would be most effective for reversing the obvious effects of the backlash of Dark Magic that Harry experienced while performing a Dark ritual.”

Harry slunk in his chair. He really hated being the center of attention under any circumstances, but when his stupid decisions and bad judgement were continuously thrown back in his face...well let's just say that it was embarrassing.

“Miss Granger has done some research into the matter and Severus and I both agree that since it was Dark Magic that caused Harry's problem, counteracting it's affect would require the use of White Magic.

Harry looked up in surprise. Why hadn't they thought of it before now? He had always know that Hermione was brilliant, but he still was surprised that Severus and Slughorn had trusted her judgement to that extent. Of course he knew that Severus had asked Hermione for her help in researching the matter, as his time was limited because it was taken up with--accompanied by a scowl from the dark man, quote: (Oh, how Harry had wanted to throttle the ugly git) Babysitting his errant son.

“Since Albus,” Horace continued, “is quite knowledgeable in the art of White Magic, he has compiled a list of necessary articles that will be required for the ritual. I rather hate to use the term ritual, as it implies Dark Magic, and White Magic is so pure that it literally cleanses the soul of any traces of evil, or even of negative influences. It requires the utmost care in the preparation of the Potions that will be needed for the ceremony.” Here, he glanced at Severus. “Severus and I will be working in conjunction to prepare the Potions which, as I'm sure that you've all guessed by now, have to be prepared in a pure, and sterile enviornment. The cauldrons and the stirring instruments involved, all must be cleansed and purified.”

“Miss Granger. Were you able to find the tome that we were searching for with the specific ingrediants necessary for the prepartion of the Potion?”

“Yes sir,” I believe I found the perfect book. It is a veritiable treasure tove of White magic spells, charms and recipes for all sorts of Potions necessary in White Magic rituals,” she said excitement lacing her tone. She had been quite anxious to help and it had proved very interesting searching through the shelves containing hundreds of ancient Muggle and Wizarding books on a wide array of subjects, but even researching about White Magic had held her fascination. Performing the ritual, and preparing the ingrediants had her intrigued. While researching the Horcrux and the tomes of Dark Magic to bring Snape back from the Veil, had filled her with an incredible sense of foreboding and evil, the thought of using White Magic to reverse it's effects filled her with a sense of peace and goodness, that she was hard pressed to explain.

“Now then,” Horace began speaking again. Once we have all the ingrediants necessary, and the Potions are prepared, we will begin the actual ritual.” Horace turned to Harry. “There are steps to prepare you Harry, which I understand that Severus has already began.”

Severus nodded. “ I have been teaching him meditation and relaxation techniques, and have begun teaching him Occlumency.”

Harry crinkled his eyes in confusion. “ I thought that was all just for the Occlumency.”

“Yes, but it all ties in together Harry,” he explained impatiently. “Trust me Harry,” he said with a long look at Harry that meant more to Harry than he could say.

"As we've already talked about--mind, body and soul must be in harmony. For the White Magic ritual to be effective, we must slowly prepare you to withstand the onslaught of powerful White Magic. It would not do to have the White and Dark Magic wage a war against each other, in your mind.”

Harry shuddered. It was beginning to sound like an Exorcism, and while he like the idea of White Magic and the purity of it all, it all was beginning to be overwhelming to him. Why couldn't anything be simple? Why couldn't they just mutter an incantation, and it all be over?

“Now, I believe that we could all use some rest and a good meal,” Albus said with a knowing look at Ron, who flushed in embarrassment. “So I believe we'll adjourn this meeting and meet again when the initial preparations are in place.”

Harry wearily lifted himself up and left with Hermione, Ron and Ginny to find the grumpy Ron some substance.

Harry spent the rest of the evening chatting with his friends in the Gryffindor Common Room, laughing and joking. Once Ron's stomach was full, he was back to his easy-going self once more, so with his arm around Ginny, and enjoying the banter between Hermione and Ron bickering like usual, Harry just stayed quiet and drank in the warmth. He couldn't wait to be back in the Tower for good. Strangely enough though, he would miss his living with his father. The man was a little overbearing, but all in all Harry enjoyed spending quiet evenings with the him, playing chess, sometimes helping him to brew potions, and getting to know his father a little better.

Perhaps Ron would scoff at the idea, but Harry was beginning to realise that he had much in common with Severus. It was strange, but if anyone had ever told him that he would be drawn to Snape when he had a problem and that he was beginning to develop a blinding trust in the man, and that he would put his life in his hands, Harry would have thought they were insane. Harry was finding that he really enjoyed their late night conversations about an array of subject matter, and he was quite amazed how knowledgeable and insightful the man really was. There was much more to Severus Snape than met the eye. It was a shame really, that he didn't allow others to see what an intelligent and interesting man he was. Oh, no one could accuse the man of being charming or a social butterfly of course--as a matter of fact he was sarcastic and downright nasty most of the time, but when he let his defences down, and allowed you to see who he truly was, Harry found that he was a veritiable fountain of knowledge, and actually gave some good advice.

Unfortunately, Harry was very hot-headed, as was his father, and it was this stubborness that was at many times a stumbling block in their relationship. Harry had a feeling that neither one of them would be changing that about their personalities anytime soon, so sometimes he was careful to avoid sensitive subject matter that he knew would set the man off. Afterall, Harry thought—he may be stubborn but he was definitely more reasonable than his father. Actually, Harry was loathe to admit it to anyone else, but at times he rather enjoyed provoking the man a bit, just so they could have an all out battle of wills. What would be the fun, if everything went smoothly all the time, he reckoned. Harry chuckled to himself. Yes, it defnitely added spice to their relationship. Harry never did anything halfway, and he hated monotony and status-quo, so in that aspect, his father and him were well-matched. Like father, like son. Neither would conform just to adhere to socially accepted rules, so in that they were of like mind.

----

Harry felt himself being shaken lightly. “Harry, It's time to go. You've missed curfew again,” Ginny said worriedly.

Harry had fallen asleep with his head on Ginny's shoulder. He was really comfortable there, and had no desire to detach himself from her soft shoulder, where he could smell her freshly-washed hair, and feel the rise and fall of her chest as she breathed.

Wh-aa-t?” He said groggily.

“C'mon, let's go,” Ginny yanked him up off the couch. She shepherded a sleepy Harry to his quarters, where of course they were greeted by a seriously irritated Severus.

He raised an eyebrow at Harry's tousled hair, and sent a questioning look at Ginny.

Uh, he fell asleep on my shoulder,” She explained cautiously, lest the man think they were doing something inappropriate again. She definitely had no desire to revisit that discussion again.

To her surprise, Severus simply nodded, and put his arm around Harry's shoulders.

“Come son,” Severus said in a surprisingly soft tone. “I think that your bed is calling you.” He began to lead Harry to his room, leaving Ginny standing in the doorway, with her mouth agape. He was putting Harry to bed?

Severus turned his head. “Stop standing there with your mouth open Miss Weasley. You might catch some flies,” he sneered. With a flick of his wand, he shut the door in Ginny's face.

Ginny stood with her mouth open for a few more minutes and stared at the closed door. Just when she thought that she had the man figured out, he did something so fatherly. She could just picture him leading a younger, sleepy, pyjama-clad Harry with tousled hair, to bed and reading him a bed-time story. She shook her head. There were just some things that would not lend themselves to the imagination.

----

There was a brisk knock at the door. She threw a few more logs on the crackling fire, and wiped the soot from her hands on her faded yellow apron. Her brow crinkled in worry. She retrieved her wand from her pocket. No one ever came to call, especially at this late an hour. She pulled the curtains open hesitatingly and peeked out.

She reluctantly opened the door a crack. “What do you want?” She spat.

A couple more of my chickens have gone missing again,” he glared at her accusingly. “and there's nothing left but blood and feathers.”

Oh, that's too bad,” she sneered. “but I don't see what that's got to do with me. Now if you don't mind, it's late.” She began to close the door, but he put his booted foot to block it.

He pointed his finger at her. “I know that son of yours had something to do with this.” He staggered slightly; she could smell the alcohol on his breath.

She held on tighter to her wand.

Go home old man,” she said in a dangerous voice, “or missing chickens will be the least of your worries,” she threatened.

He felt a flutter of fear churning in his stomach. He backed away, and she slammed the door in his face.

He rushed up the pathway, hesitating only once to look back at the small cottage. Smoke billowed from the chimney, and the tangy smell of burning wood, filled his nostrils.

There was evil in that house, he thought. He could feel it. Taste it. Smell it.

He ran the rest of the way up the hill, and opened the door to his cottage, with trembling hands. He locked the door behind him, and grabbed the bottle of whiskey from where he'd thrown it on the sofa. He didn't stop shaking until he had drank himself into a stupor.

The next day, rumours spread like wildfire that there was yet another mysterious death that plagued the village of Little Hangleton.

Harry shot up in bed.

Bathed in sweat and tangled in the blankets, pale and trembling, he clutched his forehead. This was impossible, he thought in panic. His scar was on fire. But he barely had a scar anymore. Voldemort was gone. Wasn't he?

Harry ran to the bathroom, and stared at his pale face in the mirror. He removed his hand from his forehead and his stomach lurched in fear, when he saw that where his faded scar was, it was indeed inflamed and red.

Chapter End Notes:
I borrowed that line about the "Giant Potions Book" from a brilliant story called "And the Truth shall Cage you." By Tingue, on ffnet. Unfortunately, the story was never finished

By the way, if some spells don't seem familiar, it's because I made them up. I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a buoyancy charm, or an impermeable charm! I took the word in French for waterproof, or raincoat, I think.