Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry about the long wait. Real life has interrupted my creativity!

I had wanted to post on my birthday, October 27, because that was the second anniversary, of this, my first story ever, but alas I am a little late.

Thanks to J.K. for introducing us to her wonderful, magical world and characters, and allowing us fanfiction writers such liberty!

Thanks to my amazing beta ObsidianEmbrace for supporting me so wonderfully in the past two years, and my good friend Kristeh for her input and encouragement. Both are amazing writers, and you should check out their stories, "A Life More Ordinary," and "The Best Mistakes" by ObisidanEmbrace, and "Slave Child" by Kristeh. They are both very talented writers!

A little word of warning, this chapter contains alot of Ginny and Harry mush. I'm sorry, but I love Ginny and Harry together, so if this bothers you, you may want to skip that part.

Oh, and one more ramble.

I have received many messages, pointing out that the time-line of my story is off, and for this I apologise, but the story is AU, and although I had the timing of events a little scrambled in my brain at the beginning of the story, it would upset the sequence of events in the story to rectify it at this point. So again, Harry is only seventeen in this story, not eighteen, the final battle took place in a shorter span of time; namely, during the summer before, up to and including most of the month of September, resulting in the start of term resuming late, due to the major renovations required after the castle being so heavily destroyed during the battle.

Not that I don't appreciate reviews or constructive criticism, but it gets tiresome explaining why the sequence of events don't correspond to those of Canon, so I'm explaining it this one last time.
Christmas Cheer

Harry's heart skipped a beat.

His stomach swirled as though a thousand butterflies fluttered inside.

Ginny looked lovely, standing against the sparkling white background; with one hand still clutched tightly on the door-handle, Harry lifted his other hand, to touch the large snowflake that lay upon her red-gold hair. The flake sizzled and melted under his fingertip. He ran his fingers lightly against her silky hair.

His breath hitched in his throat.

A throat clearing reminded Harry of his manners.

He felt the warmth creep up his neck.

"Uh sorry," Harry stuttered. "Please come in."

Ron smirked at him, and Ginny blushed.

"Happy Christmas," Arthur said, with a forced smile

Molly nodded; her pale face looked pinched, and the rims of her eyes were red; Harry's heart wrenched. It was obvious that she'd been crying, and he knew that it must be a very difficult time of the year for her-for all of the family.

Severus stepped forward, extending his arm towards Molly and Arthur. "May I take your coats?"

Harry too, took a step forward, intending to help Ginny lift the pale blue coat off of her slender shoulders, but at the sight of the way her mauve, chiffon dress clung to her slender curves, and the way that the neckline dipped just enough to accentuate her breasts, and the way that the thin straps of her dress rested on her creamy shoulders, took his breath away; he had an overwhelming urge to feel her soft lips on his. Usually, the petite girl had to reach on her tippy-toes to kiss Harry, even though he was not very tall himself, but she wore four inch silver sandals, that accentuated her shapely legs.

Oh Merlin, he had to get her alone.

As he went to take her coat from her, his fingers brushed against hers, and he almost forgot that that they weren't alone, as what felt like an electrical current, rippled through his body.

Although Harry had eyes only for Ginny, he couldn't help think how lovely Hermione looked too. How much had the small, bushy-haired girl, with the large front teeth turned into a lovely young woman. A small smile lifted the corner of Harry's mouth, as he noticed how possessively that Ron held onto Hermione's slender waist. The young woman's hair was swept up with a small diamond-encrusted clasp; a few stray curls brushed against her pale, smooth cheeks. She wore a simple pale-pink strapless dress, with a pink satin ribbon under the bodice. The skirt fell down in soft pleats to just above her knees.

They all settled into the parlour, as delicious aromas wafted in from the kitchen.

"Would you care for something to drink?" asked Severus.

Ginny scowled at her father, as he handed her a Butterbeer, while Hermione, Ron, Harry and George sipped on Firewhiskeys. Arthur, Molly, Charlie, Bill and Fleur, nursed brandies. Ginny looked at Harry pleadingly, but Harry simply shook his head regretfully; he was not about to give the under-aged Ginny alcohol, with her father, older brothers, and his own uptight father present. He handed Ron his Firewhiskey, and grabbed a bottle of Butterbeer for himself.

Harry rather thought that Molly's strained expression relaxed a bit, as she leant into Arthur's gentle embrace. Harry hoped that he and Ginny would find the same happiness and commitment that Arthur and Molly so obviously shared with each other, even after so many years of marriage. Although, they had endured both joy and tragedy over the years, they were obviously still very devoted to each other.

Harry looked down at Ginny with love shining in his clear green eyes.

Harry leant down to whisper in Ginny's ear. "Let's get some fresh air."

"I thought that you'd never ask," she whispered back.

"Dad, Ginny and I are going to take a walk outside before supper...okay?"

"Yes, but don't be too long. I wouldn't want to be serving burnt dinner."

The snow crunched under their feet; the crisp night air, making their skin tingle.

Snowflakes fluttered down gently from the moonlight sky.

Ginny laid her head on Harry's shoulder, as his arm gently held her to him.

"I was rather surprised to hear you calling Professor Snape Dad, Harry. I guess that means that things are going well?"

"Yeah, well, I think that I surprised myself too, but it just came naturally. Things are not perfect, but I feel for the first time since this all happened that-" Harry paused, "I finally feel that he wants to be a father to me, as much as I've always wanted one. Does that make any sense?"

Ginny chuckled. "If anyone had ever told me that you'd be calling Snape…Dad, and that he'd be playing father to you, I would have said they were mental, but you know Harry, he really seems to have stepped up to the plate."

Harry ran his fingers through her hair.

"You know..." he stopped, and pulled her into his arms, "as happy as I am to finally have a living, breathing father, I'd much rather talk about us," he said huskily, and brushed his lips against hers.

She gently ran the tip of her finger over his cheek. "Me too, and-"

Harry cut her off, as he kissed her again.

"I can't imagine my life without you Ginny."

"Nor I without you."

"One day, I promise you," he said, as he lifted her small hand, and took her left ring finger, between his thumb and index finger, "that I'm going to make you my wife."

Ginny sucked in a tangy breath of fresh air.

"And one day you're going to be my husband, but you have Auror training, and I haven't even finished school yet-"

"I know, and I did want to give you a ring this Christmas, but I know that your parents would never approve, and my father has already lectured me on the wisdom of waiting until we're both a little older and settled into our careers, but one day soon, Miss Weasley, you're going to wear my ring."

"And I'll be waiting Mr. Potter."

"But for now," Harry said, fumbling in his trousers' pocket, "there's something I want to give you. Something that belonged to my mother."

Harry handed her an oblong-shaped box, wrapped in emerald-green wrapping paper.

Ginny delicately peeled back the wrapping, and gasped as she pulled out a delicate silver charm bracelet.

"It's lovely Harry."

"My father was going to give it to mum, but things kind of got..well, it's kind of personal," he said, apologetically.

"I understand," Ginny said, while attempting to close the clasp on the bracelet. Harry delicately took her tiny wrist, and attached the clasp.

"It's so beautiful," she whispered, her throat clogging with emotion. "Thank you."

Harry lifted up one of the charms. "This one here is baby Harry," he said, chuckling, as he pointed out a small picture of his mum, holding a squirming eighteen-month-old Harry in her arms.

Harry traced his finger lightly over the charm, and said, "She died just after this picture was taken," he whispered hoarsely.

"I'm sorry Harry," she said quietly. "She was very beautiful."

Harry nodded; he felt his heart clench, thinking of the once-vibrant woman staring back at him in the picture. If only she could be here...if only she could meet Ginny. Yes, perhaps things would have been a little complicated, if James was still alive, but Harry liked to think that both men would have played an important part in his life.

Harry tried to squelch down the sadness that always threatened to overwhelm him at this time of year; how he missed Sirius, and Remus and Tonks, and Fred; life would never be the same, but he had to look to the future, and while he would never forget those so important to him, he would only drive himself mad, living in the past. No, now he had a new father, and a promising future with the love of his life, and Harry had to hold onto that.

"There is place here for us to add a charm for every milestone in our lives together."I'm rather hoping that the next charm we add will be one of us at our wedding," he said, pulling her gently into his arms.

Merlin, he was having a hard time keeping his hands off her.

"And this charm," he said, chuckling, "is baby Ginny."

"What?" she gasped in surprise. She flushed at the picture of a pint-sized, auburn-haired two-year-old Ginny, tugging on Molly's apron strings."

"I think that I actually remember when this picture was taken. Ron had just pulled my hair," she said, making a face. "The little tosser." She looked at Harry suspiciously. "How did you get this picture?"

"Ron of course," he said, smirking.

"I was sort of cute I guess. Even if I did have a snotty nose and blotchy eyes."

"You were perfectly adorable Miss Weasley," Harry said, teasingly nibbling on her ear. "But now...now you're just plain beautiful, and sexy, and-"

"Harry," Ginny admonished, slapping Harry's hand away, as it strayed to forbidden places. "What if my parents were to come outside, or, Merlin forbid, your father?"

Harry removed his hand, as though it was on fire. "Point taken."

"Now Mr. Potter, if you promise to behave yourself, I have something for you too," she said, giving him a stern look.

Harry looked offended. "I always behave myself!"

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Of course you do."

"Here," she said, handing him a large, rectangle-shaped box, wrapped in brightly-coloured paper, with little flying snitches on it.

Harry looked at her in astonishment.

Harry unwrapped the present and chuckled; inside, was a Mrs. Weasley-style jade-green jumper, embroidered with, instead of H for Harry, G & H.

Harry shook his head in amusement, and, taking his winter jacket off, slipped the jumper over his head.

"You look so cute," Ginny giggled. "But here's my real present."

Ginny pulled Harry by the collar of his shirt, and planted a kiss on his parted lips.

Harry looked at her incredulously.

She chuckled again. "Just joking," she said, slipping her hand yet again, into her pocket; Harry chuckling to himself at the image of Ginny's lumpy pockets.

Harry's breath hitched in his throat as he opened the lid of a deep blue velvet box.

Harry plucked an oval, eighteen-carat gold ring, from its plush background, and stared at it in awe.

Ginny had taken the time, not only to have the ring custom-made, by the most prestigious Wizarding Jeweler available, Irvings' Exclusive Jewelers, but had given it the utmost care and thought into designing it herself.

She wanted the ring to represent not only Harry's heritage, but where he was now in his life, blended perfectly, with whom he had been; the meeting of Harry's past life, and his new life brought together, in perfect harmony.

Harry Potter Snape was unique in his own way, but also carried traits of the three most influential people in his life.

Although Professor Snape had come into Harry's life in a important way, only later on, his genes, along with Harry's mum, still influenced who Harry was now, and even though Harry was not born James Potter's biological son, a blood adoption had been performed shortly after Harry's birth to reinforce the glamour spell that had been applied to Harry, to mirror James' appearance, therefore, there was some of James' blood running through his veins; that fact, and the ultimate sacrifice that James had given to save Harry's life, meant that James should be honoured as well

On one side of the ring, was engraved a Serpent, encrusted with tiny emeralds, representing the Honourable House of Salazar Slytherin- the House to which his father, Severus Tobias Snape, was not only sorted into, but held the highest honour beholden to the House—that of Head of House. On the right-hand side of the ring, was a roaring Lion, dotted with rubies, representing the Noble House of Godric Gryffindor—that to which his beloved mother, Lily Ann Evans, and his brave and courageous step-father, James Potter belonged to.

The names, Potter, Evans, and Snape encircled the slithering serpent, and roaring Lion, and moved slowly around the insignias.

Harry slipped it on his finger, and felt the moisture tug at the corners of his eyes.

"It's perfect," Harry said in a husky voice.

"Are you sure that you like it?" she asked, biting her lower lip.

Harry pulled her gently into his arms. "I love it almost as much as I love you."

"Happy Christmas Harry," she said; her warm fingers clutching onto his.

"I guess that we'd better get back inside before my dad has a fit."

They stomped their feet on the rug, and brushed the snow off of their jackets.

"We're just about to sit down to dinner Harry," Severus told the pair as they walked in the door.

Everyone took their seats at the large table.

White candles, placed in elegant silver candlestick holders were set on opposite ends of the table, and a large Poinsettia was placed in the middle of the dining table.

Susan had helped with the dinner, but had declined to stay; she insisted that this was a day for close family and friends and didn't want to intrude.

There was all the usual Christmas fare- golden-brown turkey, sausage and cranberry stuffing, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, rich brown gravy, pumpkin pie, an assortment of cakes and pastries for desert.

"You may have a glass of wine with dinner—one glass only," Arthur told Ginny sternly, when he noticed her eyes widening at the wine glass next to place setting, and the bottle of the finest white wine chilling the ice-bucket in the middle of the table.

Ginny rolled her eyes.

Honestly! Her parents were living in the dark ages. They were so over-protective.

As the wine and the delicious meal began to warm his insides, Harry noticed that the atmosphere at the table had relaxed quite a bit; even some colour had returned to Mrs. Weasley's face, and she, Severus and Mr. Weasley were deep in conversation.

George seemed a little lost without his side-kick, and Harry knew that things would never be the same without Fred, and his stomach clenched as he imagined everyone who was missing at the large table, but whose chairs would remain empty forevermore.

He missed Remus and Tonks terribly, but tomorrow, Tonks' parents would be bringing Teddy over, and he looked forward to seeing his godson again. With the renovation of the school, and subsequent events; what with finding out that Severus was his father, all the casualties that the war had wrought, and the rebuilding of the school, just to name a few of the changes that had wreaked havoc with Harry's life, he'd not seen Teddy since his parent's death.

Of course, with Teddy's visit, tomorrow would bring dinner with the Malfoys; Harry could only imagine how awkward that would be. As his father had pointed out though, it was time to bridge the distance between the Houses; after all, there was no reason for there to be the same animosity between Slytherin and Gryffindor—they were all on the same side now. Yes, there were some Slytherins who still held a grudge, because they had loved ones who had been Death Eaters and had either died in battle, or were serving long stints in Azkaban, but the majority of Slytherins were willing to start fresh.

A clinking of a fork on a wine-glass pulled Harry from his reverie.

Arthur was standing, and now holding his wine-glass up in the air.

"I'd like to thank Severus and Harry, for including us in their Christmas celebration, and of course for making this world a safer place."

Harry blushed, and Severus sat stiffly; not comfortable with being the center of attention.

"Also, I have a very exciting announcement to make."

Severus shook his head when Harry looked at him questioningly.

"Now that the chaos of the war has quieted down, and the subsequent rebuilding has been completed, the Ministry has finally acknowledged that they owe a great debt of gratitude to Harry and Severus for their courage and bravery in defeating…Voldemort," he said with determination.

Severus and Harry, I asked Kingsley if I could be the one to impart this exciting news personally, and he acquiesced, since he knows how much our family owes you both.

Harry looked perplexed.

"What do you mean Mr. Weasley? You don't owe us anything-" he began.

"On the contrary Harry," he interrupted. "We owe you much more than we can ever repay you both for."

He held up a finger, when it looked like Harry was going to interrupt again.

"The Ministry is going to award you both the Order of Merlin."

Harry's jaw dropped.

Severus' normally composed expression, mirrored Harry's one of shock.

"On January first, a ceremony will be held to present you with your awards, as well as several other awards of bravery that the Ministry wishes to present to all those who fought so courageously."

"I don't know what to say," Severus said, shaking his head in disbelief.

He had come so close to getting the Order of Merlin, during Harry's third year, but was ashamed to admit, that he had been so obsessed with recognition and glory, and had been such a bitter, vengeful man, that he'd been willing to accept such an honour, while throwing an innocent man to the wolves, so to speak. Of course, at the time, Severus had heartily believed that Black had been guilty of betraying his beloved Lily, and thought that Harry, Hermione, and Ron's proclamations of Black's innocence were the rantings of overzealous children. But truth be told, he had wanted to believe that Black was guilty out of some warped sense of revenge from childhood grudges.

But now, Severus was humbled to get the award, and felt that he didn't deserve this highest honour.

His normally pale skin, flushed pink, when Arthur, rose his glass again, and said, "To Harry and Severus," and everyone held out their glasses as well.

Harry patted his full stomach, and went to join his friends in the newly-added game room; of course, this had been Harry's idea, to which Severus had sneered. It held a billiard table, an air-hockey table, a telly, and even a computer and video games.

Ron, Ginny and George had not grown up with such Muggle contraptions and were totally awed by them. George had continued with Fred's legacy, and continued to run the joke shop, and his brain was working over-time trying to figure out how to incorporate some of these Muggle artefacts into a prank-worthy product.

Harry sat, with Ginny in his lap, while Hermione tried to explain the fine-points of billiard to a very confused Ron.

While Molly was washing up, at her insistence, and Charlie, Bill and Fleur were settled into the parlour, and were having a heated discussion on baby names, and American versus French child-rearing practices, as Fleur was three months pregnant, much to the delight of Molly, Arthur pulled Severus aside to a quiet corner of the House; his soft eyes, shadowed in worry.

Severus' furrowed his brow. "Whatever requires such secrecy Arthur?"

"I'm reluctant to spoil such a joyous occasion by imparting disturbing news."

Severus' dark eyes clouded.

"Arthur?"

Arthur raked his long, pale fingers through his flaming hair,

"There have been attacks."

Severus' blood froze.

"What sort of attacks?"

Arthur began to pace back and forth nervously.

"On Muggles mainly, but the nature of the attacks are worrisome, and suggest that they may have been performed by a wizard."

Severus traced his thin lips with the the tip of his potion-stained finger.

"How so?"

"The attacks are of a ritualistic fashion, and suggest that the attacker is attempting to send a message. But it is the sheer absence of violence upon the bodies. The murders are very reminiscent of…" He trailed off.

Severus held his breath; not wanting to know the answer.

"Reminiscent of?"

"Of the way that You-Know-Who murdered his victims."

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks to everyone who is still reading this story! I will try to update more frequently