Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm so sorry that I haven't updated in so long. I've been ill, my father passed away, and work has been very stressful, but I've gotten the desire to write again after the release of Deathly Hallows, Part 2. I'm sorry if the chapter is not as long as usual, but I promise that now that I've got my muses back, I'll try to update more often.

Thank you for all of you that have stood by me and are still reading. Thanks so much to my good friend Kristen, and of course ObsidianEmbrace for correcting my mistakes and all her support and encouragement these past couple of years.

Thanks of course to the wonderful J.K. Rowling for creating such a wonderful universe. I'm really going to miss the HP universe, so we fanfiction writers and readers are going to have to keep it alive.
New Beginnings & Past Regrets

Harry went to sleep that night with a smile on his face. He had thought that his first Christmas at Hogwarts was the best one he'd ever had in his whole life, but this Christmas with his new father, and surrounded by his best friends and his surrogate family, equalled if not rivalled that one. The only dark spot of the holiday was the painful reminder of all those loved ones that he'd lost and never see again.

It was getting easier though, to push those dark thoughts to the back of his mind now that he had his father in his life. While no one could ever replace those he had lost, Severus had helped to heal the deep ache in his heart. Having never had parents growing up, he could only stare with longing at other children who had what he never thought that he could have. Harry tried not to think of all the years that he missed out on by not having had Severus in his life. He had all he wished for now, and he wanted to savour every moment.

The next morning, Harry woke up with a smile. Warm memories of his best Christmas day ever, made him glow with pleasure.

Although he wasn't looking forward to dinner with the Malfoys, and how awkward it would be, Harry wanted to hold onto this feeling of euphoria for as long as he could.

He flipped back the covers, and slid his feet into his warm slippers. The fire crackled in the hearth, but the air was still a little crisp. Although sunlight filtered in through the frosted window pane, large snowflakes were swirling around, and the tree branches were whipping back and forth.

Harry added an extra log to the fireplace and yanked on his bath robe. He raked his fingers through his messy hair, and practically skipped down the staircase towards the kitchen.

HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP

Despite the succulent feast the evening before, Harry's tummy was rumbling. His mouth watered as delicious breakfast smells wafted through the air.

"Morning," Harry greeted Severus, who was flipping through a Muggle newspaper.

"Good Morning," Severus said, as he inconspicuously closed the paper with a snap. After his disturbing conversation with Arthur last evening, Severus had no desire to spoil his son's enjoyment of their first holiday together as father and son, by allowing him to see the front page of the newspaper.

Harry sat down and began to heap his plate with pancakes, bangers, scrambled eggs and fresh fruit. He poured ice-cold pumpkin juice from the pitcher on the table into a large glass.

Severus smirked.

"You'd think you haven't eaten in a fortnight with all the food on your plate."

"Hey! I'm a growing boy!" Harry said with feigned insult.

Despite how famished Harry had been, he was barely able to finish half of the food on his plate.

A legacy from the years Harry had spent with his aunt and uncle. Severus had to fight down the urge to go and hunt down the Dursleys and make them pay for the abuse and neglect they had directed towards his son.

Guilt weighed down heavily upon Severus as he thought of how he could have spared his son all the pain he'd endured at the hands of his loving relatives, had only he had been the father that he should have been.

Harry patted his stomach and placed his utensils carefully on the plate.

"Thanks again for such a great Christmas."

"You are very welcome Harry," Severus said gruffly. "But thanks are not necessary. I too found it to be pleasurable."

Harry snickered. That was his father's way of saying that he'd enjoyed the day every bit as much as Harry had. As strange as it was, Harry found his father's habit of holding on fiercely to his prickly demeanour and guarding his emotions closely to his chest, rather endearing.

The thought that Harry would ever consider anything about the very reserved, uptight Severus Snape, Greasy Git of the Dungeons—endearing, made Harry lose his last vestige of control, and he began to laugh.

Severus' eyebrow arched suspiciously at the way Harry was studying him and chuckling.

"Something amusing?" he asked, with a hint of humour.

"No. No, not at all," Harry said as he jumped up and on impulse, went around and gave Severus a hug.

"Thanks so much, Dad. For everything. For giving me the best Christmas I could have ever wanted. For welcoming my friends, and the Weasleys, into your home. Just thanks for it all," he said breathlessly.

As he stood up, Harry could tell that although his father held himself stiffly, unaccustomed as he was to giving or accepting affection or showing emotion, Severus look pleased nonetheless.

Harry sat back down and leant back in his chair. He closed his eyes for a moment. The sunlight flooding in through the patio doors warmed the back of his head.

Harry opened his eyes to find Severus studying him intensely.

"Something wrong?" Harry asked worriedly. It had not gone beyond his notice that his father seemed to be clutching the newspaper rather fiercely. It occurred to Harry that Severus was trying to protect him from whatever the newspaper contained.

Harry's stomach twisted at the thought that after all the heartache that his friends and father had suffered, that something else could arise that could spoil the sense of freedom and peace that they'd all strived so hard to achieve.

"No, of course not," Severus denied.

Changing the subject, Severus asked, "How did Miss Weasley like your Christmas present to her?"

Harry rolled his eyes. "You can call her Ginny you know."

"She is my student. It would not be appropriate to call her by her given name," he said stiffly.

"Honestly Dad. She's also your son's girlfriend, practically fiancée," Harry huffed.

Severus' head snapped up.

"Don't worry; we're not planning on running off and eloping anytime soon. Ginny's parents would have a fit."

"I should hope not," Severus said sternly. "You are both far too young."

"I have a feeling that you'd think that I was too young to get married if I was thirty," Harry said acerbically.

"Well, you are not thirty, and sixteen and seventeen is definitely not mature enough to make a decision that could affect the rest of your lives," Severus insisted firmly.

"I know that, and we aren't idiots. Ginny's going to finish school first and decide what she wants to do as a career, and I'm going to finish my Auror training before we even think about making you a grandpa," Harry said cheekily.

Twin spots of colour rose on Severus' pale cheeks. Part of him was mortified at the thought of being called grandpa by a snot-nosed little brat, but the other part of him; the part of him that few people got to know, was secretly excited at the thought that his son would continue on with the Snape and Evans legacy.

"Hmm," Severus replied silkily, "perhaps we should have a discussion about contraceptive charms. I could teach you some very effective methods of birth control."

It was now Harry's turn to blush furiously.

"You know…" he said jumping up from his chair suddenly, "I just thought of some finishing touches that I could add to that Potions Essay you set."

Severus smirked as he watched his son scurry off out of the kitchen.

His amusement at his son's discomfort faded quickly however as he remembered the contents of this morning's newspaper.

Severus carefully unfolded the newspaper as the sound of Harry's slippers slapping against the stairs slowly faded.

HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP

"Narcissa," Snape said, reaching out a long pale hand to retrieve her cloak. "I hope that you are well."

She nodded and said softly, "Yes of course," but the shadowed and haunted look in her large blue eyes, belied this assertion.

Although Narcissa looked as coolly beautiful as ever, with her white blond hair piled upon her head and captured in a sparkling diamond clasp, and her midnight blue silk dress that matched the colour of her eyes perfectly, she had lost quite a bit of weight since Severus had last seen her.

He reached down to give her a quick peck on the cheek.

"I trust that you've had a good Christmas."

Draco scowled. "Just peachy."

"Draco," Narcissa scolded.

"Well, it's true Mother. Father is in prison, and you mope about the house like a wet flannel."

She touched his cheek lightly. "I'm sorry Dragon," she whispered. "I promise that I'll make more of an effort. It's just been so difficult."

Narcissa pulled a lace hanky from her tiny blue sequined purse and dabbed at the stray tear that had rolled down her pale cheek.

Severus felt a pang of worry. Narcissa had always been slim, but now her diamond bracelet hung so loosely off of her tiny wrist, it looked like it might fall off.

"Harry, why don't you show Draco the game room."

Both Draco and Harry gave Severus an incredulous look.

"But-"

Severus gave him a stern look.

"Sure," Harry said unenthusiastically. "C'mon Malfoy, uh…I mean Draco."

"How are you really Narcissa?" Severus asked, leading her towards the parlour.

Severus waved his arm towards the divan. "Have a seat. Can I get you something to drink?"

Narcissa sat down, crossing her long slim legs.

She sighed. "No, I guess that I'm not fine really."

"Give me something strong please Severus. And you might as well prepare something strong for yourself too. Although I've never seen anything really break you. I wish I had half your strength Severus."

"Nonsense," Severus said as he poured the amber liquid into the glass. "You are one of the strongest women I've ever known," he said firmly.

It was true too, Severus thought. In all the time he'd known the blond beauty, he'd never once seen her crack. She had always stood proudly by Lucius' side and had been a devoted mother to Draco. In fact, many times, she'd acted as a buffer between Lucius and Draco.

Although Lucius had loved his wife and son in his own selfish, twisted way, and would have laid his life down for them, he had not been an easy man to live with. He'd often been cruel and could be borderline abusive towards his wife and child. Of course, in the Pureblood custom, the man was Lord and Master of his home, wife and child, and strict and often physical forms of discipline was a normal and expected occurrence.

In the Death Eater community in particular, the Patriarch ruled his home with an iron fist. A man was considered to be weak if he didn't have ultimate control over his wife and children.

Severus knew that although to the world, Draco appeared to be very spoilt and coddled, he had also been held up to Lucius' impossibly high standards.

Yes, Lucius had spared no cost on maintaining a lavish lifestyle for his wife and child, but could be downright tyrant if his wishes were countermanded. He demanded obedience and respect and for the most part Draco and Narcissa obliged.

Narcissa, however, was the ultimate Slytherin where her husband was concerned. She knew that as long as she catered to her husband's fragile ego, she could manipulate him to do almost anything that she wanted; she knew the rules though.

In high Pureblood society, a wife must always support her husband publicly, no matter whether she secretly, vehemently disagreed with him, and this was one rule that Narcissa always obeyed.

Often, Narcissa was able to impose her will on Lucius by simply stroking his ego, and actually managing to convince her husband that it was his idea all along.

Yes, Severus had the utmost respect for Narcissa, and often wondered if Lucius understood how fortunate he was to have such a devoted woman by his side.

Although it was never discussed openly, Severus often got the impression that Narcissa didn't necessarily agree with all of the Dark Lord's doctrines.

Severus had a feeling that Narcissa knew where his true loyalties lay but never had she once betrayed him.

"You look troubled Narcissa. Whatever is the matter?"

She sighed. "I thought that it was over. I thought we were finally free to get on with our lives without having to worry about constantly displeasing the Dark Lord," she said, twisting the large diamond ring on her long, slender finger, "and that once Lucius had paid his dues in Azkaban, that we could all start over. Perhaps make a fresh start."

Severus' dark eyes studied her deep blue ones intently. "And why is that not still possible Narcissa?"

Her eyes widened in fear. "Because I don't know if Lucius will survive Azkaban this time."

"That's ridiculous. Lucius is perfectly safe, and he'll be home before you know it."

"No he's not perfectly safe. Azkaban is not safe. It's starting all over again. The rumours…the mysterious deaths."

Narcissa grabbed onto Severus' sleeve. "What if the Dark Lord is back?"

"That's impossible Narcissa. Harry destroyed him. He destroyed the last Horcrux. I've seen his memories. I know this to be true."

"Yes, but strange things are happening. Have you not seen the Prophet? I've heard that even the Muggle news is carrying stories about strange and unexplained occurrences…mysterious deaths and the sort."

Despite Arthur's cryptic words earlier, and the disturbing contents of this morning's paper, Severus felt the need to assuage Narcissa's concerns.

Severus sat down on the couch, crossing his long legs and carefully choosing his words.

"Unfortunately evil is not the sole property of the Wizarding World. I'm quite certain that random acts of violence, committed by Muggles do not mean that the Wizarding World is once again threatened by Dark Forces."

"I realise that Severus, but Dementors are once again guarding the prisoners of Azkaban," she whispered.

Severus fought hard to retain his composure. After the Dementors had changed loyalties during the Dark Lord's rise to power for the second time, Shacklebolt had soothed the Wizarding public's outcry about how barbaric Dementor's guarding prisoners was, and promised that they would never be used in that manner again.

"Lucius also said that the Warden was found dead in his office last week. Shortly after his death, the prisoners noticed that the Dementors had returned."

Severus shook his head in disbelief. "I cannot imagine that Shacklebolt would allow this."

"Nor I," she said, circling the top of her glass with a long red painted fingernail, "but I have to tell you Severus, that Lucius is not the same man that you once knew."

She got up and walked to the window, staring out at the sun dipping behind the snow-tipped mountains in the distance.

"I think that he has had his fill for a lifetime in servitude to a cruel, sadistic madman."

She turned to him with a sorrowful expression. "I think that he is burdened with guilt…we both are, for having put Draco in such danger. We should never have believed all the Dark Lord's lies."

"You are not the only one to be taken in by him," Severus said with regret.

"We all know how strong his powers of persuasion could be."

"Severus, please. You have to get Lucius out Azkaban. I beg you."

Severus' eyes widened in shock. "I do not have that kind of power Narcissa."

"No, perhaps not, but your son does. I have no doubt that there is little that Harry Potter could ask of the Ministry that they'd refuse."

"You ask too much, Narcissa," Severus said angrily.

"Please Severus. I cannot lose him. I'll do anything. I'm not above begging," she pleaded.

"I'm sorry, but I will not place my son in such a position," he said stonily.

"May I remind you that were it not for me, you would not have your son."

Severus stared at her in shock. He knew that she was desperate and scared, but she had crossed the line.

"She's right Dad," a voice said from the doorway. "I owe Mrs. Malfoy my life."

"No, your father is right Harry," she said. "I am so sorry. I have no right to ask such a thing. I know that Lucius was not a kind person to you, and that you have every reason to detest him."

Harry shook his head. "I won't lie, Mrs. Malfoy. Your husband has been a right git to me, but even though I can't promise you anything, I'd be doing it for you, not him. For having given my father and me a second chance, and for making it possible to rid the world of Voldemort once and for all."

"I haven't exactly been altruistic," Narcissa said, her pale face blushing. "All I could think about was whether Draco was safe or not."

"It really doesn't matter why you helped me, the end result is the same. I owe you my life." He smiled at Severus. "My future."

Chapter End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading.

Harry and Severus' calm and ordered life is about to go into a tailspin. Just because I'm evil, and to appreciate perfection you have to live through hell. Ha ha..As if Sev and Harry have not had enough excitement! LOL