Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Well, here's another chapter finally! I hope you'll enjoy it. I had intended to include a nice mushy scene with Harry and Severus, but didn't get to it. I guess that means I'll just have to hurry up and write ch. 6, lol!
Chapter 5

Severus never did know exactly how Albus managed it, but on August 31st, as breakfast was ending, the headmaster Flooed down to their rooms in the dungeons and presented him with neatly folded scrolls of parchment tied with a golden ribbon.

"The deeds to both the island and the villa," Albus told him quietly. He handed Severus a quill as well. "This is a portkey to the villa. Just cast an activation spell when you're ready."

Severus took them solemnly. "Thank you, Albus."

It was all he said, but he was truly grateful and his old mentor seemed to understand. Albus nodded and replied softly, "I will miss you, Severus, both you and Harry."

He hesitated and said even more softly, "I know our relationship did not begin well. I failed you in many ways, just as I did with Harry. But Severus, over the years I have come to care for you a great deal. You and Harry...you're the ones I care for the most, and yet you're also the ones I have hurt the most. For the past week, ever since Harry's suicide attempt, I have questioned all the decisions I have ever made in regards to the two of you and thought of all the things I could have done differently. I do apologize for my mistakes."

Severus nodded and repeated. "Thank you, Albus. That does mean a great deal to me." He paused, but it was only fair to continue. "And Albus, while I do wish certain things had been done differently, many things in fact, I also understand that some of the circumstances were unavoidable. Victory over Voldemort had to be your top priority. While I disagree with some of your decisions, I do believe that you always tried to do the best that you could."

"I did, Severus, but I know that I made many mistakes as well," Albus answered. He looked beyond Severus then, to where Harry sat in his wheelchair, still at the dining table where the Potions Master had been finishing breakfast. Even though Harry only took nutritive potions, Severus always included him in meals, pushing the chair up to the table and talking with him while he himself ate.

For as long as Severus had known him, Albus had had silvery-white hair, a long beard, and a lined face, but somehow, despite that, he had never seemed old. He had had always had a vitality and power that gave him an air of strength.

But now as he watched Harry sitting slumped in his catatonic state, the headmaster seemed unbearably ancient and sorrowful. He crossed the room and knelt before the wheelchair.

"Harry," Albus' voice was very gentle and laden with sadness. "Harry, child, I am so sorry for the pain I have caused you, and I thank you for your brave sacrifice. I hope that you will recover and find happiness at your new home. But if you should ever wish to return, know that you and Severus are always welcome at Hogwarts."

Albus studied Harry's face carefully, but the boy's expression remained blank and unaware. Albus sighed heavily, patted Harry's knee, and stood.

He walked slowly back over to Severus. "When will you leave?"

"Today." Severus gestured to the side, where boxes lined the walls. "I've already packed most of our things."

"So soon?"

Severus nodded. "You know that I'm hoping the change of scenery and having a real home of our own will help Harry to come out of this state he's in. I want us to get settled into the villa as soon as possible."

Albus looked at him unhappily. "Severus, I wanted to help you move, but I have spent so much time at the Ministry the past days convincing them to reward Harry with this estate, that I have neglected my duties as headmaster. With the term about to begin, I simply cannot leave right now. If you could wait a couple of days, until classes begin, then perhaps..."

"It's all right, Albus," Severus interrupted. "Ron, Hermione, and the other Weasleys are going to help us. I only have to contact them and let them know that everything is ready. Harry and I really don't have that many personal possessions and with the villa already furnished, moving shouldn't be too terribly onerous a chore."

Speaking of possessions reminded Severus of something. He considered certain objects as Harry's...things that had formerly belonged to the boy and things that Severus had bought for him...but technically they were all truly Severus' belongings. When it came down to tracing legal ownership, everything had to be in Severus' name.

He looked down at the parchments he was still holding in his hand and spoke in a low voice. Harry knew all the conditions of the spell, of course, but it was hurtful to him so Severus didn't want him to overhear. He didn't know even if Harry was aware of what was going on around him, but Severus had decided to believe that he was and to act accordingly. "Albus, you said the Ministry was rewarding Harry, as well they should, but the estate cannot actually be under Harry's name. The spell will punish him."

"Yes, I know," Albus agreed, also speaking very quietly. "The deeds are in your name. I did the paperwork myself, but in the interests of secrecy, I did cast a charm over the papers, a clever little optical illusion that makes anyone who might see them believe they are reading Harry's name instead."

Albus took his wand and pointed it first at Severus and then at Harry, moving it in a complicated series of flourishes. "There, the two of you will be able to see the deeds as they truly are, but no one else."

Severus arched an eyebrow. "That is rather clever, Albus."

"Thank you, I do try." Albus' smile faded and he held out his hand. "I hope that you will not cut all ties to me, Severus. I am very concerned for the both of you."

Severus reached to return the handshake and was surprised to find a lump in his throat. He was not the maudlin type and though he had grown fond of Albus, he had not expected to become emotional over their departure.

He cleared his throat and said gruffly, "I'm sure we'll be back to visit, at the very least. I will contact you once we're settled. Thank you for all your help, Albus."

"I know there's no need to tell you to take good care of Harry. Farewell then, Severus." And with a whirl of his spangled robes, the headmaster stepped into the fireplace and vanished in a rush of emerald flames.

Severus looked after him for a moment before turning and making his way back over to Harry. He laid the scrolls on the table and then he too knelt before the wheelchair so that he would be on Harry's level and reached to take the child's hands in his own.

"Well, Harry, what do you think? Are you ready to see our new home? I showed you the photographs yesterday, remember? Albus has managed to work everything out and it's ours now. It's a beautiful place. I think we can be happy there." He hesitated before saying softly, "Harry...please try."

He gave Harry's hands a light squeeze and then went to the fireplace to call the Burrow. A few minutes later Ron, Hermione, Arthur Weasley and the twins had come through, piling out of the grate one after another like clowns in a tiny car that Severus had seen once in a childhood outing to a circus, one of the few treats he'd had as a small boy.

Severus greeted them stiffly. He was at ease with Ron and Hermione now, indeed he was even growing fond of them, as surreal as that seemed at times, but he was still uncomfortable around the other Weasleys. Fortunately, after speaking to him, the youngsters all hurried over to Harry. Fred and George Weasley had not seen Harry lately and they seemed shaken at his condition, becoming unusually sober and concerned as they spoke to him.

Arthur Weasley watched sadly. "Ron had told us about Harry, of course, but I just can't believe..." his voice trailed off and he blinked hard before turning back to Severus and saying briskly. "Molly and Ginny had planned to come as well, but then Ginny came down with a stomach virus and she isn't feeling well yet. Molly decided she'd better stay at home to watch over her, but the rest of us are here. What do you need us to do first, Severus?"

Then there was a great hustle and bustle as they cast shrinking and feather-light charms on all the boxes and packed them in trunks. They did a check through all the rooms to be certain nothing was being left behind and then it was time to leave.

Severus paused to let his gaze sweep around the dungeon rooms. They had been his home since he'd been twenty-one, and the castle itself had been his home since he'd been eleven. He was thirty-eight years old now and he had spent the greater part of his life at Hogwarts.

He could scarcely believe that he was about to leave, probably forever.

He had not always been happy here, but he still felt an almost overpowering sense of melancholy and longing that surprised him as much as the lump in his throat had earlier when he had bid Albus farewell. Such sentimentality was simply not like him. But then his life had changed so drastically over the past couple of months. He was free of Voldemort. He had retired from teaching. He was becoming amiable with Gryffindors. Most of all, he had Harry now, and he had to help the boy heal from the devastating blow of the slavery spell. Perhaps it was not surprising that Severus should feel a little unsettled by it all.

He looked over at Harry then and his melancholy vanished. Yes, the changes in his life were drastic, but they were all for the good. And he would do anything for Harry. He had never before cared for anyone as he did for the slight, dark-haired child that had been thrust into his life. Never before had he felt such love, such fierce protectiveness and tender compassion. He had never even imagined feeling these emotions for another person. It had changed him from an aloof bitter cynic into...well, Severus wasn't sure what type of person he was becoming and sometimes it frightened him. Sometimes, oftentimes, it actually hurt to love Harry as much as he did.

But Severus would not have changed it for the world.

He would have changed the slavery spell though. Severus wished with all his heart that Harry could have come into his care in some other way, so that he could be happy too.

But then that was what this whole move was about...helping Harry to recover and to be happy again.

Severus became aware that the Weasleys and Hermione were all standing by the table close to the quill, waiting for him and Harry to join them. The trunks and boxes had all been shrunk and placed into people's pockets. There was nothing left to do now except to activate the portkey.

It was time to leave.

No, Severus corrected himself, it was time to begin. He just hoped that he was doing the right thing and that their new life would be a happier one than they were leaving behind.

He wheeled Harry's chair over to the little group and then waved his wand over the quill. It promptly began to glow with a soft blue light. Severus slipped his wand into his sleeve and with one hand reached to grip the handle of Harry's chair. With his free hand he reached to touch the quill at the same instant as the others did. He felt the sharp tug of the portkey and then a brief falling sensation.

Then Severus was standing in the entrance hall of the villa, his hand still clamped around the wheelchair handle. Immediately he checked to be certain that Harry had come through portkey travel all right. He had, but the boy's withdrawal was as complete as ever; he didn't even glance around at their new surroundings.

But he was the only one not awe-struck. The Weasleys and Hermione were gazing about in wonder and even Severus, though he was not usually impressed by material objects and he was deeply concerned for Harry, had to admire the setting.

The entrance hall was vast, wide and long and running the length of the house. The marble floor was in a black and white diamond pattern and an elegant curved staircase at the rear of the hall rose to the second floor. Pale marble columns flanked arched doorways leading to spacious rooms. A round table carved of dark wood stood in the center with a tall crystal vase filled with snow-white roses atop it. The corners of the hall were rounded in an oval-shape and contained inlaid carved niches with marble busts of famous wizards.

The front rooms on both sides of the hall were formal parlours and the other ground floor rooms were a library, a dining room, a smaller less formal sitting room, and a conservatory that was filled with vases and pots of fragrant, flowering plants. Severus couldn't help but cast an appraising eye over them, wondering if any would be suitable for harvesting as potions ingredients.

Every room was breathtaking, grand and yet somehow comfortable and welcoming too. They were decorated in light colours...ivory, cream, and palest gold with touches of slate blue, pearly-grey, and soft olive green. The furniture was an eclectic, but charming blend of gleaming antiques and comfortable, over-stuffed sofas and chairs. Landscape paintings, gilt-framed mirrors, and faded tapestries lined the walls.

But as lovely as the interior was, it couldn't compete with the scenes outside the wide windows. After Severus had wheeled Harry through the downstairs rooms, followed in silent admiration by the Weasleys and Hermione, none of them could resist stepping outside onto the front terrace. For long moments they all stood gazing in wonder at the beauty of late summer on a Mediterrannean island.

The stone terrace was wide and vines of jasmine and honeysuckle twined around the balustrade. The villa was constructed of sand-coloured stucco with alabaster quoins on its corners, a silvery-tiled roof, and loggias running around the upper story so that its occupants could sit outside and enjoy the mild climate and stunning views.

Steps from the stone terrace led to a path of crushed shells that divided the emerald lawn in half. A couple of palm trees stood on the lawn, waving great leafy fronds in the light breeze. The shell path led to a distant beach of white sand and beyond that lay the deep sapphire sea. It was warmer here than in Britain, but a constant cool breeze blew in from the waters, keeping it from being truly hot.

Fred Weasley broke the silence. "Hey, Professor, are you sure you don't want all of us to move in with you?"

Severus raised an eyebrow, but said, "Of course we will arrange for you all to visit. I know that Harry is close to you."

It was perhaps not the most gracious welcoming speech, but then Severus was very unaccustomed to all this and he felt that he was doing the best that he could.

"Well, let's see about getting things unpacked, shall we?" Arthur Weasley suggested.

They went back inside and were heading for the stairs when there was a sudden sharp crack and suddenly a small house elf stood before them.

Severus automatically had his wand in hand, flinging himself in front of Harry and pointing it at the intruder before he realized that he recognized the elf.

"Dobby!" Hermione and Ron exclaimed together.

"What are you doing here?" Ron continued.

The little elf was clad in his usual odd assortment of clothing, a tiny jumper and pair of trousers, mismatched socks and a striped hat on his head. He was practically jumping up and down with excitement.

"Master Professor Dumbledore asked Dobby if he would like to go to live with Harry Potter and Master Snape and take care of them. Of course Dobby said yes! Harry Potter is a very great wizard and Dobby is always eager to help him. And Master Snape too, of course." Dobby bowed to Severus, his pointed ears quivering.

"Dobby is hoping that it is all right?" The elf looked so anxiously at Severus that even he didn't have the heart to refuse, though he did make a mental note to put up those anti-Apparition wards as soon as possible.

Still, it would be handy to have a house elf and though his effervescence could be annoying, Dobby was unquestioningly loyal to Harry. Severus willed his heart to stop racing as he put his wand away and gave Dobby a curt nod. "Very well, then."

They spent the rest of the day unpacking and putting items away, pausing to eat sandwiches for lunch at noon, though of course Severus had to spell a potion into Harry.

Upstairs there were six bedrooms, each with a small sitting area and its own bath. Like the rooms below, they were decorated in pale colours with blues, greys, and greens. Severus chose two adjoining rooms at the front of the house for himself and for Harry. There were huge beds with handsome carved headboards. There were small sofas and chairs and tall wardrobes for their clothes. Thick rugs covered the hardwood floors and windows overlooked the beach outside. Severus nodded, pleased with his choices.

Then he glanced over to Ron and Hermione. "As you two are going to be here on the weekends, you need to choose rooms for yourselves, too."

They selected bedrooms at the back of the house, their windows providing a view of the formal gardens laid out behind the villa and of the field beyond.

That left two bedrooms and Severus had supposed that Dobby would have one and that they would use the other for a spare room just in case they ever had overnight company besides Ron and Hermione. But Severus had reckoned without Dobby.

The elf flatly refused to claim one of the bedrooms for himself.

"That wouldn't be right, Master Professor! House elves do not need such large fine rooms. Dobby would be embarrassed to sleep in such a grand room," he declared.

"Where are you planning to sleep then?" Severus inquired wearily.

Dobby hesitated. "Well, sir, there must be a cupboard or cabinet in the kitchen..."

"No," Severus interrupted firmly. "No one in this house will ever sleep in a cupboard. Harry would not want that." He paused. "I would not want that either."

Severus had to admit that before this past summer he had never given much thought to the morality of house elves being slaves and treated as property. He himself had never owned a house elf, had never wanted anyone to be a slave, but he had never lost any sleep over the practice either. It was simply the way things were. And he'd reasoned, most house elves were quite content with their lot and devoted to their families. A few, such as Dobby, had the misfortune to be bound to abusive owners like Lucius Malfoy, but most wizarding families were fond of their elves and treated them well.

Like most wizards, Severus had always accepted it as a part of magical culture and had concerned himself with other, more pressing matters.

But then Harry had had to become his slave, and seeing how much the child had suffered had affected Severus deeply as well. He had begun to question things he never had before.

But at least Dobby was free and he was there because he wanted to be. But he would not sleep in a cupboard or a cabinet.

Severus became aware that the Weasleys and Hermione were watching though, and he was not going to argue the matter before them.

"Let's see what is available on the lower level, why don't we?" Severus suggested. He took the handles of Harry's chair, levitating it down the stairs to the entrance hall, and then to another flight in the small sitting room.

Like in many grand wizarding manors, there was a full floor below ground. The kitchen was situated under the dining room. House elves would prepare the food and then send it to rise upwards through the ceiling to appear on the dining table, just as at Hogwarts. Besides the kitchen, there were several pantries and storage rooms as well.

Dobby wanted to sleep in one of them, but Severus convinced him that he needed the space to set up his potions laboratory and storeroom...which was actually true, though it was also convenient for forcing the elf to accept a real bedroom.

"Dobby, you would be doing me a great favour if you would agree to sleep in one of bedrooms upstairs," Severus told him firmly.

Dobby looked at him with large shining eyes. "Well, if Master Snape is sure..."

And so that was settled.

The sun was low in the sky when they finished and for dinner, Dobby produced a picnic basket that the Hogwarts' elves had prepared for them, with cold roast chicken, egg salad, fruit, and butterbeer. They sat in the dining room to eat, even Dobby perched on a box by the wall though he would not join them at the table. Severus tried to tempt Harry to eat but as usual the boy was silent and far away.

It killed Severus' own appetite too, and he had to fight a sudden despair. He had hoped so desperately that coming here would be good for Harry, that it might jolt him out of his depressed withdrawn state, but Harry seemed completely unaffected. He didn't even seem to realize that they had left Hogwarts.

The nauseating metallic taste of fear filled Severus' mouth and he quietly laid his fork down and set his own plate aside. He had convinced himself that Harry knew what was going on, that he was really aware of things and was just too upset and unhappy to respond.

But what if Severus were wrong?

What if he couldn't reach Harry? What if the child were lost to him forever? How could he bear it, now that he knew how much he loved Harry? How could he bear to go on, alone again?

Severus glanced around at the others and saw fear and sorrow in their eyes, too. They had all tried to be cheerful and brisk today, but as he looked at Harry's closest friends, Severus knew that they were all deeply worried too.

Severus took a deep breath and tried to force his fear away. He would not give up. They had only just arrived at the villa. It was too soon to abandon hope.

Harry would come out of this depression and he and Severus would be happy.

Severus could not bear to think otherwise.

Chapter End Notes:
Thank you for reading! Please review!