Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Severus finally gets the chance to play out his cards! Let's see how well he does, shall we?

My apologies for the wait, it's been a long week =( but Please Enjoy =) don't forget to review!
Of Confrontations and Flames

The incredibly, irritated Potion Master hated apparition. Come to think of it, he hated apparition for multiple reasons and it wasn't because of the feeling he received. Luckily for Professor Snape, the heart lurching experience was no longer an issue. Severus has been accustomed to apparition for years so it was really a wonder that what fazes him about it, is more than what meets the eye.

Let's just say that Severus' great dislike for the way of transportation came from certain "experiences" that preceded afterwards. Likewise, just take being constantly forced into attending those 'wonderful' Death Eater meetings as an example. After an apparition and a cruciatus curse later, the man would normally be found sitting in an armchair back at Hogwarts downing numerous amounts of potions and pinching the bridge of his nose. With a displeasure so great that its maddening, Severus would also have to undergo a battle with the pains of a raising headache.

Of all honesty, the man was much better off being at a blasted Death Eater meeting than going to meet up with Dumbledore right at this particular moment. A hundred cruciatus curses sounded almost appetizing compared to withstanding the heated confrontation waiting to come. It was dreadful really...

An uneasiness encumbered Severus' insides just as his surroundings finished spinning out in front of him. Ohand no...it wasn't because he had just apparated.

Severus was trying as hard as he could to cling onto his equanimity as he stood on the front doorsteps of Number Twelve Grimmauld Place. The agitated Professor then took in a deep breath and slowly let it escape his chest. He had to try to calm himself down; now was not the time to panic. After all, he had been in far worse off situations than this one, surely he was inevitably forced to be when it came down to arriving in close contact with the menacing Dark Lord.

...So then why was he so out of the loop?

Contemplating with himself on whether he should just go back to pretend that the whole mess he gotten himself into never actually occurred was notably out of the question. Severus immediately scolded such thoughts; was he a bloody coward!? This had to be done! Better off now than never, and he had little choice in the matter on if Dumbledore shall be notified on such a dire important situation regarding the 'golden boy'.

So without another moment of hesitation, Severus Snape gathered himself up, pushed away his emotions, rammed the overwhelming thoughts of doubt back into the crevices of his mind, and proceeded to push open front door in a stiffly facaded fashion.

'Now wasn't the time to 'slip up' on emotions' pondered the man as he stepped inside, even though his had been rather sloppy lately.

To Prove himself otherwise he marched forward into the Order's meeting place. By doing so Severus then could no longer help how his intuition was telling him that what lays ahead is going to get interesting.

Shutting the door behind his composed form, the Potions Master found that the wards the Order had in place bypassed him without doubt. Within moments he was safely inside of Number Twelve Grimmauld Place. There an infamous sneer replaced his expression as he absentmindedly took in the the poor condition of the house.

The walls were decrepit, the wallpaper continued to reek mildew and mold. Dust was not just only on the furniture, but everywhere in sight. Out of all due "respect" to the notorious Black, the place looked like it was going to fall apart in a heap of decaying wood. How very unsurprising...

'Honestly...' Severus thought to himself and he surveyed the manor, ‘The overbearing Mutt can't even manage to care for his own household. Wonders never seek.'

It took only a few moments before familiar voices began echoing off of the deteriorated walls. Severus neared the living area at a brisk pace where his keen hearing took him towards the incompetent snarling of one irritable Sirius Black.

"...and what about Umbridge being Headmistress now? Headmaster, Please, without you there Harry isn't safe!"

Then there was another interruption coming from the room. It was from a old, rusty voice whose could only belong to Mad Eye Moody. Severus Snape stilled as the haggard boom rang triumphantly throughout the house.

"Potter ya say?! Well thats a load of nonesense, Black! That boy will be protected." reassured Moody to the irked mutt, "Even if we have to go to Hogwarts ourselves to achieve that!"

"I don't know about that, Moody," cautiously inquired the soft growl of Remus Lupin. The werewolf continued to explain the reasons to why not as Severus stalked past the howling portrait of Black's insufferable mother.

"..so as you can see, Aurors can not simply march into the school with Dolores there. It may stir up suspicion within the Ministry of Magic, and then Fudge gets involved."

The worn out tiredness in the werewolf's voice did not fail to surpass Severus's ears. Perhaps the man was still recovering from the effects of the full moon.

Moody then grumbled in a low, dangerous voice to the werewolf as his temper raised at a steady pace, "Have you noticed we are at war then, Lupin? How about we do our jobs and protect the students. They don't have a chance without Dembledore at that school, eh?"

"DON'T HAVE A CHANCE? ARE YOU MAD, MAD EYE?" It was the rebellious higher pitch that Severus immediately depicted as belonging to the lively young Tonks.

"AM I?" Challenged the other, "The Dark Lord is raising in power as we speak. Can we further say that Fudge will cease to deny this?"

Severus casually strolled through Black's dining area while lazily eying the rusted possessions that were left in the man's name. He came to a brief pause as he neared the room in which the meeting was being held. There was no doubt that heat was radiating off of what was being discussed inside. Impassive dark eyes swept the multiply hallways towards the pathway  sure to lead where the sounds were bouncing from within.

A smug smirk tinted the Potions Master's lips as he paused to admire the misery.

Still, Severus had to do what he had come to do. He started toward the voices again and rounded the next corner of the room that led, yet again, to another hallway. Black robes billowed out from beneath his feet with every elongated stride he took.

Suddenly, the next voice Severus heard from the room gave him the urge to spin around on heel and retreat towards the front door.

"Gentleman and Miss Tonks, there is no need to argue," came that familiar entrancing voice which Severus knew all too well. Low, calm, and at ease with the world and everything within, Albus Dumbledore's eyes were most likely sparkling with wisdom as he calmed his fellow Order members.

He continued softly, "Remus has indeed made an important point. Interference at Hogwarts is unnecessary, and risking the Order though is much too great of a danger. Entangling ourselves with Fudge furthermore we cannot do if we wish to succeed with this war." The conversation continued again after a low grumble was emitted from the other oldest Order member at the table.

"Although your point will not go unnoticed either, Moody," attempted Dumbledore to a disgruntled Mad-Eye who snorted in response. The old wizard continued on.

 "The protection of the students is indeed first priority."

 Severus could sense that the Headmaster meant what was said, but the obnoxious mutt was making the situation rather difficult as always.

"What about my godson?", demanded a flustered Black, his voice was on the edge of breaking down with apprehension, "Isn't he first priority?"

 Within seconds Severus' obsidian eyes sparked as he heard a table from within the room being slammed by a fist.

"Ah. Not to worry, my boy. Young Harry's protection has already been taken into account by a few members of the staff that I have personally selected."

And who those "personally selected" individuals were, Severus held greatest sympathy for. He imagined himself feeling sorry for the pity soul who was stuck babysitting Potter during such hard times. There was no doubt that Potter was also going to be an even larger burden to carry than he already was due to such recent events.

"And who might they be, Headmaster?", asked Black hotly to the Headmaster, of course Severus didn't even need an invitation to intrude.

He rounded the next corner with a lip turned up in distaste with how petulantly Black was being towards his elder. However, before Dumbledore even had a chance to respond, Severus grabbed the knob and flung open the door. His ears were pleased to hear nothing but silence that seeped into the room. In the doorway he stood, making sure that he took turn to glare at each and every Order member who was brainless enough to meet his acidic gaze. All were stunned in their seats by his malevolent presence enough as it was during meetings whenever the man was near, but this was taking it to a new level.

Well...that is almost all of them were stunned...

At a rectangular table, the Potions Master was able to pinpoint an already infuriated Black whose eyes shifted from the Headmaster to himself numerous times. He was sitting at one head of the table balling a pained looking hand into a tempered fist. The mutt dared to suffice his enemy a dangerous scowl in which Severus ignored quite easily.

'Insufferable as always' Mused Severus to himself as he contently watched the mutt steam from the ears.

Then there was Lupin, the Mutt's best mate who was sitting next to Black and was giving his friend a disproving shake of the head. The werewolf's dowdy appearance affirmed Severus' conclusion about the full moon. Across from the man beast sat Mad Eye Moody whose mad eye was focusing essentially on Severus. The Potions Master challenged the man an infamous raise of an eyebrow but he could still feel the thing x-raying him from head to toe suspiciously.

Nemphdora Tonks, whose hair color swirled to bright red from the previously heated discussion was seated squarely between Moody and her cousin Black. Then there was Hogwarts' Headmaster...or rather "ex" Headmaster, Ablus Dumbledore. Dressed down in lavish purple robes and twirling his large white beard with a free hand, he sat contently on the opposite head of the table, across from Black. His blue eyes sparkled with wonder from beneath his spectacles at the sudden appearance of his most trusted spy.

"Ah, Severus. Welcome. Please do come in," politely acknowledged the Headmaster.

Severus Snape nodded as his gaze completely transfixed onto Dumbledore's own. Black let out a sudden growl at his intruder. Severus could concluded that the mangy mutt was rather overprotective of his territory. To once again ignore the irritable, provocative man, was becoming more difficult by the sluggishly passing moments.

"Headmaster," Severus said returning his politeness back to the man with a short bow of the head.

"What brings you here, my boy?", inquired Dumbledore curiously.

Unfortunately, the rage that Severus detected radiating off of Black's poor body language finally shot out like a bullet towards him.

"Yeah, Snivellus. We all would like to hear what dire important news you have for us," sarcastically snarled Black.

Severus raised an amused eyebrow the the incompetent other and chuckled at such stupidity. "Unfortunately, Black, my dire important news is strictly for the Headmaster alone.", he promptly snapped, "I am quite sure that even you have the capability to comprehend the significance of a 'private' discussion."

The cunning Head of Slyterin lips trickled up in amusement as he continued. "That is of course, unless all this extra leisure time has affected your ability to do so."

Right on cue Black growled at Severus' purred out comment and stood up from his seat. Just as predicted, Black's hands flew into his pockets. However, Severus stood his ground rather smugly after witnessing how the other's face churned into a deep shade of red.

"Leisure time", repeated the growl with a twisted grin, "Oh, Snivellus, you shouldn't have..."

Luckily Dumbledore raised his hand to put a halt to Blacks predicted actions and, thankfully what was sparkling behind the Headmaster's specs continued to dazzle the two younger wizards... especially the Potions Master.

"That will be quite enough," said the Headmaster softly to both men.

Black reluctantly sat back down, but the redness had not yet receded from his cheeks. However the mutt's vicious glare was still fixed onto Severus who was now all up to sneering at the other man for the moment. The other three pairs of eyes gave their attention away from the two as Dumbledore slowly stood up from his seat as.

"We are going to have to continue this discussion at another time. Please do excuse me, it seems that something else needs to be brought to my attention," said the Headmaster to the Order members, all of whom, except for Black, nodded to agree. Black continued to glare accusingly at his intruder as Dumbledore moved across the room. Suspicion was very much there for Severus. How wonderful?

The Headmaster then turned to his spy silently and nodded for him to continue onwards. The Potions Master closed his eyes, realizing the harsh reality in what had to be said in the next minutes. Nodding stiffly back to the older wizard, he departed from the scene. Dumbledore remained close behind which oddly made Severus feel a twang of guilt rise up into his chest. Already, he was feeling those all knowing-eyes drilling into the back of his scull unpleasantly.

The old coot always seemed to have knowledge of beyond knowledge itself. Still, Professor Snape had to ask himself; Why him? Why Dumbledore?

His heart skipped a beat at the next question that was forming way too quickly...

Why Potter?

....................

After casting multiple silencing and privacy charms around Black's living room, the Headmaster and his trusted spy settled themselves down into armchairs directly across from another in front of the fire place. From an outsider's view, the environment looked rather serene...but the flames?  Inside the fireplace they were blazing with such a great intensity that Severus could have sworn that his own anxiety was being reflected off of them.

Not only that was true, but they were undoing him more than he would ever know...

Both men accepted fire whiskey that was offered from Black's house elf, Kreacher. Severus took a sip and let out a sigh as the liquid warmed his stomach and released the tension in his neck and shoulders.

‘Well at least I wasn't offered lemon drops' inwardly mused Severus as he remembered the multiple times he was offered the disgusting sweets.

However, that same old feeling continued to grow inside his chest quite rapidly as the minutes passed by in silence. The slight amusement of the situation quickly faded away as such sensations grew stronger. The younger wizard transfixed his impassive gaze towards the flames which were contently licking at the wood. The crackling sound and the warmth that was produced nearly soothed Severus even with Dumbledore's calculating gaze. Thankfully, the wizard was giving him another moment to collect his thoughts before it was indeed he who spoke up.

"I must ask what you are pondering on about, my boy. You seem rather unsettled about something." Severus looked up from the fireplace to slowly turn his head towards the headmaster.

"Yes," he replied, keeping his voice as monotoned as possible. After bringing his fire whiskey up to his lips he silently slurped at its contents. Alcohol burned his throat as predicted but cooled down quite quickly.

It calmed him for the moment...but only a moment.

"The Dark Lord, I might presume?"

"No," Severus paused. His neck grew stiff from his own thoughts as his face remained still as stone.

"It's Potter."

Then there was more silence. Dumbledore placed his fire whiskey down on the small night table next to him while he fingered at his long silver beard with a free hand.

"Harry?", asked the Headmaster a tad more keenly as his voice found the strength to do so, "Would you care to elaborate on that, Severus?"

Dark, unemotional eyes grew bland but then surprisingly flickered with an unknown flare that neither he nor the other man across from him could directly pinpoint. Fortunately for grueling Professor Snape, the expression did indeed leave as quickly as it had arrived.

"Of course, Headmaster," murmured Severus over a whisper, "There has been an accident," he said sternly.

The room grew silent for a minute. Dumbledore looked up and opened his mouth to question his spy again, but Severus hurriedly continued his story in attempt to still the other's tongue. All of what was calm, controlled, and a calculating facade, took over the man's demeanor once more. At once, and as if the fire from within the mantle place had concurred such an event, the man had his confidence back where it belonged.

"Yes. An accident," Severus clearly pronounced, "...In my office during Potter's Occlumency lesson."

The headmaster sat up in his seat, leaned in, and showed great interest about the situation presented. Luckily for Severus, his blank, expressionless features hid the entirety of the truth. However, he had to remain weary of Dumbledore's suspicions. The old man was all too cunning and much too clever to have once belonged in a house full of a bunch of dunderhead Gyrfindors.

"I had dismissed the boy earlier from lessons in order to attend to other affairs. Potter deliberately disobeyed my decisive instructions to leave my classroom.", the black stony eyes recovered quickly.

Dumbledore's eyebrows rose as he settled back into his armchair. He had the old man's full attention now as blue eyes glistened with what was considered "all- knowing." Severus scowled at himself, noticing that he was faltering with how he was presenting his tale.

"I should have beseemed the likely situation from the little delinquent," Severus took another sip of his whiskey and settled it down on the table. He fumbled with his tossing fingers.

He proceeded in his tale, "Mr. Potter once again succeeded to confirm my previous conclusive statements that these indiscreet actions of this child have not ceased to prove the truth within itself that the boy is veritably, a carbon copy of his arrogant ancestor," another sip of whiskey gave a ranting Severus the little spark that he needed to continue his story.

"I had returned after certain affairs to discover a blatant Mr. Potter snooping around in my Pensieve," Severus sneered at the memory as he gazed back into the flames.

Anticipated nerves were struck inside the younger man when the eyes of Albus Dumbledore sparkled behind the older man's signature half-moon spectacles more lively than before. The old Headmaster's fire whiskey still remained untouched.

Lights glinted dangerously from within Severus's black orbs just as well. He was feeling rather satisfied with himself at the moment, for his plan to bring up Potter's little incident was running rather smoothly.

"After I had removed him from my memories, I must have given the censurable brat a bit of a fright," smirked Severus , "Of course clumsy Potter cannot keep himself out of trouble. The boy fell against my cabinets where I stored my empty vials and glasses. The whole entire cabinet fell on top of him leaving him more than just injured."

There was more silence, that in which Severus was becoming rather "ticked-off" by. It was surprising that Dumbledore did not pursue further. Instead, the older wizard transferred his attention over to the fireplace. Oddly he seemed to be studying the flames, those which were were blazing with fury and hungrily consuming the logs.

Severus sank down deeper into his armchair impatiently waiting for some type of reaction from the old coot. There was none. Giving up waiting, he transferred his attention to the fire as he as well became transfixed in the wild, untamed beauty of the flames.

'Shall I even bother?' Severus sighed at this and continued on with his story despite the Headmaster's lack of attention.

"Madam Promfrey suspects brain injuries. The boy was in critical condition when I left to come here to retrieve you. Umbridge has left for a meeting at the Ministry as well and will not be returning until tomorrow noontime. You may intrude at will to visit the boy if you wish."

"I see," replied Dumbledore after what seemed forever. Appearing as though he was  contemplating over something of great importance, Dumbledore continued to stroked through his beard as he gaze into the mantle place.

There was more silence, and for once Severus wasn't enjoying such peace.

This crucially unsettled the man's nerves after he witnessed how the Headmaster had not yet asked any questions. Picking up his glass of fire whiskey, Severus resumed to drink. He began to anxiously fiddle with the glass at hand as well while he waited for any type of response.

Then there was one. "Severus?"

 He courtly lifted his apathetic eyes up from his glass. A very uneasy feeling was swimming around his insides, and it wasn't from the whiskey...

"Severus. Can you recall precisely what memories Harry had seen of yours?"

The headmaster withdrew his gaze away from the fireplace as light reflected off of his pale wrinkled skin. The insufferable, all-knowing expression resurfaced completely for Severus to see. Unconsciously, the younger wizard lifted his glass to his lips but paused midway. There was something about the question that just wasn't quite right. Severus honestly figured that he would like to know more about Potter's condition if anything, but of course the blasted man wanted to know more about the bloody memory that the boy saw!

 "It was a memory about a time back in my fifth year... Potter and Black happened to be there," sneered Severus as he sank deeper into the armchair, wishing to himself that he could disappear into its comfort. "Potter has viewed my memories of his arrogant prat of a father and godfather and what they'd-"

Severus stopped ''Wait...' His eyes drifted upwards to the headmaster who was now lifting both brows and folding both hands patiently on top of his lap. His eyes sparkled as if they knew of a much bigger truth; this only angered Severus further.

Dumbledore couldn't possibly assume that he was directly involved with the causes of Potter's injuries. The old coot could simply be assuming after all...

"Albus," Severus growled, "Potter invalidated my privacy. My memories! It was one thing for him to view his bloody father doing what he had done to me as an adolescent, but if he was to discover my relationship with his..." The clever Head of Slytherin struggled just then with words. "His mother..." he forced.

The Potion Master's expression instantly fell into something dark and of melancholy.

The old headmaster just lowered his head and looked up at Severus sadly. Albus seemed disappointed that something wasn't being said by his spy, and Severus could feel it. The old man's hands were now resting on his arm chair. His fire whiskey still remained untouched. Severus glanced down at his own glass and by god! It was already three quarters of a way finished!

"If Harry was to see you with Lily, Severus. I would think he would have understood-"

"NO!" Shouted Severus. His voice was crackling like the wood was in the fireplace.

And indeed were they crackling. They also snapped and fell into the ashes where they continued to burn. Within a minute, a terrible migraine shot through the Potions Professor's head. He fumbled with his glass at hand and not knowing what more to do, placed it down harshly on the table beside him. Severus brought that hand to pinch the bridge of his nose. His head pounded in defeat just as the flames engulfed the logs viciously; and that fire was burning with great fury...just like his insides were doing.

"No Albus, Potter must remain ignorant. You promised, and we've already discussed this issue. I wouldn't be able to bare it," came his grumbled answer.

Dumbledore gave the younger wizard a pleading look. Severus did not to bother to suppress a groan. Flustered beyond belief, he leaned his elbow on the armrest of the chair and ran a hand through his greasy locks of hair.

"Why wouldn't you be able to bare it, Severus?" Inquired Dumbledore rather curiously but in a way that he already seemed to know.

"Harry has a big heart...just like his mother."

"STOP," shouted Severus again. The irked Potion's Master rubbed his temples in a full attempt to sooth his pounding head, but to no avail. It was impossible to think about Lily at a time like this and he couldn't go back to the past; not now, not ever. And that was final.

"Albus, I do not wish to discuss this topic any longer."

"Severus," the headmaster's voice grew stern and he was looking at him just as intently as he was looking at the flames before.

Bleak eyes met the Headmaster's and mixed. The younger wizard face showed only the pain that was suppose to be hidden. Shields that Severus put up were beginning to drastically decline as more twangs of discomfort sported his swallow skin well.

"Harry is not his father, Severus. He is more like his mother than what you give him credit for." Severus looked as if he was going to rebel against the Headmaster's declarations. However, Dumbledore merely chuckled at the younger wizard, Severus curled up his lip in displeasure.

"Yes, in looks he is like James." offered Dumbledore calmly, " Harry is indeed a troublesome Gyriffindor. I do agree with you on that, but you must open your eyes and your mind! The child has a big heart much like Lily. How many times must I tell you this, my boy?"

Severus was staring at the other man in a calculating manner. There was silence between the two until Dumbledore's gaze fell back onto the flames. Severus was beginning to become more susceptible to the overbearing odd feeling fledging full force in his body. The flames were dancing gracefully inside the fireplace and as Dumbledore smiled and Severus frowned miserably.

"How do you know this is so, Headmaster? It is Potter! For heavens sake."

And by damn that blasted old coot's next words made Severus' heart leap so wildly...

"Harry has her eyes, my boy." The response was the crackling of logs....and perhaps the cracking of the severe Potions Master's heart which was sure to be still there...

Then something extrodinary happened as both wizards witnessed the event occur so suddenly. The fire was dieing...

Not only was this true, but the flames were flickering weakly within the ashes which were consuming them. Tiny flames shot up from the bleak ground that they were imprisoned to, struggling with a never ending battle to reach up to the next log. But the tiny flames were failing miserably as they were slowly deflating into nothing.

"Yes," replied Severus impassively before his expression flickered another unknown emotion. This time the odd feeling stayed with him, the one that kept jabbing him in the side as a reminder that not even he could deny the child's eyes.

Yes, Lily's eyes, ones that were once filled to the brim with so much emotion and life. Those green rebellious orbs contained so much joyfulness, playfulness, and an incredible amount of kindness that Snape as a child and an adolescent had taken for granted. Fifteen years after such a beauty had perished, one could only wonder how such lovely eyes die in such a matter in which they did. He needed them still to this day, to see those wonderful orbs shine with life again.

The Potions Professor turned his head towards the dieing flames, the ones that Albus had been gazing solemnly at. The ashes were full of sparks, but the fire.... well it was going out. And so Severus clenched his jaw roughly as a whole new set of eyes began to flash inside his mind from the lights. They weren't Lily's eyes this time...

They belonged to Potter; the dieing eyes...Potter's eyes...

They stared blankly into nothingness. Such eyes were filled with the life much like his mother's own. Now Potter's eyes, Lily's son's eyes, were dull and filled with nothingness...all because of him.

It was his entire fault. How unfortunate was it that Severus could not clenched his jaw tightly enough to keep it from trembling? If only he didn't let his emotions run a muck.
If only he didn't let his shields down. If only he didn't break his promise to protect the boy. If only "If only" was enough for Severus but now it just never will be.

With a flick of the wrist, the disturbed Potion's Master picked up his glass and poured the remainder of his fire whiskey down his throat.

Glaring furiously at the fireplace for smothering the light, his light, Severus drawn out his wand and bellowed a spell that would last.

"Incendio!"

A shot of brightness erupted from the tip of Severus' wand and landed right into the fireplace. A burning light flooded the room as a fire so strong and so large blazed and blasted wildly from within. The flames roared with passion, their warmth radiated against the Potion's Master's face and finally allowed his chest to heave and relax. He then rose up slowly from his chair as he locked his solemn gaze with Dumbledore.

"I believe we shall go attend to Mr. Potter, Headmaster," amended Severus making sure to get rid whatever odd emotion was previously shown on his face. Dumbledore gave his spy an approving look which made Severus cringe, "Poppy is going to be need of a fresh batch of Potions," he quickly recovered, "It would be best to get going as soon as possible."

Oh how he was so done with today...

Dumbledore nodded from his seat, his eyes sparkled all the same from behind those specs. The old coot smiled warmly at Severus as he lifted himself up from the chair and plucked his untouched glass of fire whiskey from the table. He stood beside his spy happily, while all at the same time rising up his glass as if to make a toast to the younger wizard before him. He took a small sip of the whiskey before vanishing it into thin air. Then he met his spy's eyes and held them.

"That'll do, Severus," spoke Dumbledore contently to the other, "That'll do."

He brought up a thin wrinkled hand and placed it reassuringly on the Potions Professor's shoulder who tensed up from the touch but then relaxed suddenly.

Right at that moment Severus Snape knew very well that secret thoughts have been revealed, promises have been made, and plenty of unkempt guilt had been spared. No words had to be exchanged for there was no need to exchange them. Words were meaningless; it was only morals when it came with conversing with Dumbledore.

All Severus knew was he was to be forgiven for his mistake... but for a much greater price. Dread filled him up until he was already to explode, but whatever Potter's condition turns out to be it would be for Severus to burden, and it will be him alone to repair the damage done.

So as the two wizards left Number Twelve Grimmauld Place together, no words were spoken, no looks were exchanged, and the only thing to be heard was silence in itself. It was the way they both liked it, and the way Severus preferred it to be. He closed his eyes to savor the moment of such peace but acknowledged all at the same time that the moment he returned to Hogwarts, it was going to be the last ounce of silence he was going to receive for a long time........

....A very long time indeed.

Chapter End Notes:
For all who enjoy a scary Dumbledore, don't fret just yet. Give the old man some time to warm up ;) Next chapter is going to be the set up for all the chapters proceeding it so stay tuned and review away! Thanks!

Clovergirl22