Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry for the delay. I decided to split this chapter up so heres the first part enjoy! RnR!
Of Cracking Stones and Changes Part1

Reasons could not explain themselves thoroughly to why Severus could not get Potter off of his mind that next day.

Yes. on Potter.

Although, and minding those odd feelings, after that tiring evening spent in the infirmary with the boy, there wasn't much left that needed to be explained. What was past was past, and there was no going back to fix what was destroyed. The only way to repair the damage done was to move forward; and that was exactly what this Potions Master was going to do. He had to move on, either that or become inactive.

However, at Hogwarts where there was a threat of the new Headmistress around(and the Dark Lord of course), situations could not be left idle as desired. Decisions had to be made and put into action even if Severus was reluctant to do so. Potter was now his responsibility and his to care for.

And so, the dark robed man's body shook itself at the repulsive word, in which he was binded to use by force.

Care.

He was a carer now, Potter's mentor precisely. And from what Severus had already displayed when it came down to dealing with the boy, Dumbledore must have been cracked when he proclaimed that the title "mentor" for the Potions Master was rather...fitting. Not only was such a word to use regarding Potter barbaric, but it was way too sentimental for Severus, let alone to consider himself as being one! But none of that mattered anymore, he was the boy's temporary guardian whether he wanted to be or not.

And of course it was "not"

Severus was not a kind man after all, he did not enjoy children in the least of ways. The only reason he had picked up the teaching job as a Professor in the first place was because his position to work for Dumbledore, the Order, and becoming a double spy had required being involved at Hogwarts. Of course Dumbledore had thrown the opportunity in his face way too quickly for Severus to express his displeasure towards.

And displeasure was exactly what he was expressing quite perfectly that very next day after the jar of dead cockroaches incident... too perfectly in fact.

..............

Students of all ages and sizes flung themselves out of the path of Severus ruthless Snape as he barged towards the Headmistress' office like a bull. A rowdy bunch of third year Gryffindors silenced themselves immediately and had parted like the red sea as their most loathed teacher prowled effortlessly through.

Stragglers whom could not see that the gliding batman was coming on head strongly, were roughly bumped to the side by his steaming form. Luckily for them though, the Professor did not have a minute to waste on reprimanding their deficient scowls. In fact, he was almost tempted to deduct house points from the bunch of morons but quietly refrained himself from doing so. There was just no time to waste. After all, time was too valuabe to be spent so heedlessly. And so the malicious sounding commanded, "Move" was delievered from his lips efficiently enough. The reaction it had caused had also been just as satisfying.

More children were so unkindly blocking his route. A small group of fifth year Ravenclaw girls clutched their books tightly against their chests in fear that they might drop such precious cases of knowledge in the pathway of their most hated. In a lively matter the group scurried off to the side, warily eyeing Severus as he stormed through. Even the other staff members had been staring at the man and appearing more flighter than usual as Severus stalked past their classrooms. The expressions on their mistrusting faces had obviously irked the man past the paranoid point.

After rounding the corner of the hall, Severus had finally reached his destination. Without wasting another moment, he vigorously moved toward the Gargoyles that guarded the Headmistress's office. The man bared his teeth as he mumbled the password, "Ferrywinkle" glowering as he wondered just how it was possible for someone else to create a more "deficient" password than Albus Dumbledore himself.

As the Gargoyle statue leap to the side, Severus ascended up the staircase without any difficulty, the new Headmistress was given the news of Potter just as accordingly.

........

"He came down with a rare strain of Spattergroit?", questioned Dolores Umbridge with much surprised in her voice, "Mr. Potter is ill? Is that what you say, Professor Snape?"

Severus would have smirked at the tedious, woman's stupidity but could not be so certain whether or not she was more pleased with the news or angry with them. The man's uncertaintly was then quickly assured. Umbridge's annoyingly, thin eyebrows shot up to the top of her forehead, her thick lips smacked together and then pinched with impatience as she awaited for a more indept explanation. With eyes like that of a basilisk, the toad woman then glanced at Severus. He of course, who had been momentarily flapping through the hallways like an overgrown bat, had remained in complete control even underneath her cutting hard stare.

"Affirmative", he dully replied, "According to Madam Promfey's diagnostic spell, Potter may be out for the remainder of the year if his condition fails to improve within a few weeks."

A noise that was high pitched and horribly pleasant then erupted through the stubby witches' throat. A sickening, smile had also sprung across her flabby toad- like face all in the same fashion.

"How very... disappointing", said the woman who was clearly far from disapointed with the news. There had not been a single trace of sadness hidden, but that was a predictable reaction of the witch. From what Severus already knew, Umbridge had a massive hate for the boy and was clearly out for his blood. The insufferable toad looked as if she was going to have a field day, but that was untill realization dawned upon her then about what Potter's absence could possibly mean in the long run. After all, in order to cover up for Dumbledore's disappearance, Severus was forced to pretend to assist Umbridge in locating and capturing him. Now with Potter out of the picture, Severus could only predict how this was going to effect what that toad-like-tyrant was set out to do.

And now, because of recent events, will not be able to accomplish such objectives.

"Very disappointing...", Umbridge repeated. Her small smile faltered as she looked down at her desk, and then back up at Severus in a questioning matter, "There are approximately six weeks left until the end of the school year. Professor, do you believe we will be able track Albus Dumbledore down before then?"

Severus fought the brute urge to roll his eyes at the toad featured women, but his onyx gaze remained static in his sockets.

"If Potter's condition does not improve...", repeated Severus as if he was talking to small child, "then I can not say, Headmistress."

"Then I will go to him now while he's weak", announced Umbridge angrily, making Severus turned towards the witch with his eyebrows slightly raised and parted from hearing such a doltish outburst. The women was flying into a craze.

"Thats what I'll do...yes...thats it..." The stouty woman clasped her hands together nervously as if it was the only way that she would be able to contain her exploding intentions.

"I will interrogate him before the illness is at a high. I'll just grab some Veritaserum..."

Severus titled back his head with dignity, his eyes bore straight into her own tiny fiery ones with incredibility of the situation.

"Potter is being quarantine in a separate infirmary room until the illness passes. Nobody is to be in contact with him except for Madam Promfey and myself. ", said Severus with ease as he watched Umbridge smile widely with fury.

"Then I am sure there will be no issue in interrogating him yourself.", exclaimed the Headmistress in a voice that was too pleasant to mean anything that could possibly be of good intention.

Severus nodded his head to accept, but knew he would do nothing of the short to Potter for the witch had responded just as accordingly, "As you wish."

He could feel the woman eyeballing him skeptically as his dark robes bellowed majestically from his feet after he turned around to leave. Unfortunatly, Umbridge had other ideas to express. She was going to drive him up the bloody wall if he lingered around much longer! Naturally collected by nature, Severus was finding it rather difficult to bare anymore of her incompatibility. His greasy, locks of hair were already about to stand on their ends just as the sickening sweet, girlish voice chimed in again.

"Oh and Professor Snape. one more thing..."

With his lip curling up automatically, Severus had swiveled his head to the side as he paused in the doorway. Out of the corner of his eye he watched closely as the devious little women rounded the desk to sit down comfortably in Dumbledore's old armchair. The high pitched, pleasurable little giggle then rang right through his eardrums all the same.

The toad mouth then flew into a drunk grin. Large and wry, the woman smiled pleasantly, yet in such a sickening way enough to make Severus' stomach churn in uttermost disdain. He had a bad feeling...

"Please make sure that boy understands what is to come to him when his health is returned. I'm sure that another hefty detention of mine will finally put him in his place for good."

And then she laughed.

Severus watched in disgust as the snide, little witch sat at Dumbledore's desk and basked herself within the hideous, pink room. The nasty, crooked grin had then churned upon her flabby face into one of pride. Her beady eyes closed, then opened and grew wide like thoes of the horrible, meowing kittens which had been charmed on the wall behind her. Black greasy curtains swept over the Potions Professor's dueling expression as he paused in the doorway deep in thought to ponder what the blasted women had just babbled about. His stomach felt like it was on fire.

And it was. Very much so, and burning everything inside.

'How can Umbridge possibly tame a Potter when I can not?' wondered Severus quite seriously.

However, that was the least of his questions for there were far more important matters to discover reguarding the perculiar statement coming from the toad.

What Severus really wanted to know, was what exactly had transpired in her office during Potter's served detentions. Somehow, and in ways that Severus was becoming more aware of as the days dragged by, the lapping fire in his guts hindered him from departing from the office. The inscrutable women appeared to be puzzled by his reluctance to leave.

"Is something wrong, Professor Snape?", questioned the stubby women appearing slightly suspicious to why the man was still standing in the doorway.

Severus felt the prompted need to ring her neck as he watched the innocent expression on Umbridge's face swaggered in curiosity. There in the door, Severus still remained, turning slowly around as he begrudgingly battled with the flames inside him. What shocked him above all, was actually contemplating on asking about the extent of Potter's said detentions.

For once, Severus did not sarcastically think that it was a shame that he had not recieved the chance to do so.

Suddenly, all curiosity in the moment was lost when the office floor shook violently. The new Headmistress did not take well to the confusion as she sprung out of her lavish position and onto her toes. Shocked caressed them both. Umbridge gazed out of the entrance of the office and Severus leaned over the railing for a better view. From several floors bellow, there were screams of pure chaos coming from ghost, staff members, and students alike. All of whom were running about the castle like a herd of Centaurs. The stoutly woman ran out in front of Severus, and hurried down the stairs transfixed with horror. However, Severus impassively remained on top of the staircase gazing down at the chaotic scene bellow. His eyes flickered with boredom as if he been watching two people engaged in a solemn game of wizard's chest instead witnessing a crowd of idoits loseing their heads. Umbridge whirled around to him in terror. The corridor bellow them was now resembling that of a giant swamp.

'Another prank of those insufferable Weasley twins', silently assumed the Potions Master as the corners of his lips quirked into... a comical smirk?

Did he, Severus Snape, just find a prank coming from Gyrffindor actually amusing?

For once, Severus found himself almost...appreciative towards that normally, unfavorable Gyrffindor trait which defines their house completely: trouble making. Umbridge was working herself up into a frenzy which Severus could not have been anymore pleased of.

At the same time, the man was finding it oddly difficult to surpress a carnervous urge to chuckle at the laughable scene. What was even more absurd other than Snape being genially humored by a Gyrffindors misdeeds, was that he was becoming more understanding of why Dumbledore at times would allow that House to get away with bloody murder.

Merlin, he must of be losing his touch...

Although the Head of Slyterin would never openly admit it, but to a certain degree, shall he ever be caught dead reconsidering the useless of the rivary House, that perhaps, just maybe Gyrffindor does have some diminutive value after all.

Thankfully, there was still a tiny thread of sainty left inside the man that had barely prevented him from awarding a hundred points to Potter's house for such an adept display.

"Well?", started Umbridge as she beckoned to him, "Are you coming or not? Some assistance is needed from you now!"

Severus nearly shrugged at the toad women and proceeded to descend down the staircase in the same callous fashion from before. However, the fire in his stomach (although he still couldn't understand why he still held it there) was lashing out quite intensely at the witch, licking his insides to prompt a reaction from his gut.

"I do have classes to teach. I am afraid I can not aide you at this time.", dryly answered Severus. Umbridge was doing more than just gawking at his dessent; her broad, pale features were churning into a brillant pink that perfectly matched up with the headband squeezing into her skull.

The witch sputtered something underneath her breath that Severus could not quite make out clearly, then she rounded on him for a final time.

"And how do you think I am going to get rid of this disaster??", exploded Umbridge as if it was the most important question in the world to ask. She now was following him from behind as Snape glided past her, aloof to her nervousness.

"Oh, I'm sure you'll think of something.", sardonically replied Severus hardly paying attention to the stout women's livid features. Inwardly he was finding humor in her lividness.

"Really Snape? After what happened yesterday evening? That firework display was more than enough!", rebuked Umbridge sounding very displeased.

And amused he was indeed...

And angered as well...

"Then I advise you to take better precaution when handling these situations as The Headmaster would have."

His snide comment sank into Umbridge immediately as he noticed how the toad women's eyes formed into two narrow slits. Her wide, slacken mouth pinched in dramatically from the insult and then responded with a loud, flustered, "huff." Umbridge flew ahead of Severus, wand at hand she approached the bottom of the staircase where she took action as soon as she set foot into the swamp.

This time Severus did not suppress the urge to roll his eyes as the witch squawked out useless orders to Filtch who was flapping around the corridor miserably failing to prevent the murky substance from spilling out into the hallways. However, the laughable scene did not seem to erase the image that had been set right as stone in the Potion Master's mind of the terrified fifteen year old boy, bruised, battered, and bloody laying in an infirmary bed

Alone.

His stomach was literally burning as he found it hard to yank the image out of his mind.

Still, the fire did not yet cease.

.............

5 Days Later...

"Fifteen points from Gryffindor, Weasley, for disrupting my classroom again with your intolerable babbling"

"Fifteen?!!", exclaimed the insufferable redhead as he wildly waved his hands in the air and talked back to Severus like the imbecile he was, "But I was only-"

"Another fifteen points from Gryffindor", silkily stated the Potions Professor.

Severus scowled and clenched his jaw together. For the past hour he been trying with every once of energy he had left to control his urge to curse all the Gyffindors into another dimension. Not only this was true, but to his own annoyance, his very own Slyterins were begining to get on his nerves as well. Snape had already admolished several warnings to his kin but they still persisted to chatter and snigger about a topic that was all too commonly known, one that Severus has been hearing to ofthen about for the past week.

That topic being the talk of all of Hogwarts was in fact Potter's no show.

Not only that was certain, but It had also been the third time that day that Weasley had opened his sorry mouth mid way into a lesson. No doubt was he talking about Potter with his house mates, and for that reason alone, the boy was surly going to suffer the consequences.

"And Weasley", started Severus who was certain that in another minute he was going to send the redhead spiraling across the classroom if he did not manage to restrain himself

"If you have every intention in depleting more points from your house, do not hesitate to continue disrupting my class for I will not stop you. Interrupt me again, Weasley, and I'll make it fifty."

As the Potions Master struck the boy hard, Weasley recoiled into himself, looking absolutely grim as his red freckles melted away into his burning cherry red cheeks. Smartly, the boy suppressed to glare at his teacher properly.

"Yes, sir.", grumbled Weasley as he sank reluctantly into his chair.

It was rather...unfortunate that the scorching flames inside of the heated Potion's Professor were raging uncontrollably now and that Gyrffindor alone had been the target of such brutal attacks for the past week more than the usual. Having docked points from Potter's house for perhaps the two hundredth time since the day Severus had landed the boy in the infirmary, did not delete that haunting image either of having a broken child being cradled in his arms.

Severus himself was begining to worry. How much more of this torment could he take as the days passed onwards at such a snails pace? He had only the remainder of the day left after all, surly he of all people could endure such a thing.

But he had been growing more paranoid as every day went on. Commotion about the boy's disapearnce has not only been amoungst his own house but the entire castle. At first the boy's absent went unnoticed by the majority of students except for Gyrffindor. Then as day two and three approached, the unknown whereabouts of Harry Potter had gradually spread to all Houses and even to Slyterin. Day four and Five, the news had claimed the castle like a plague. It had taken his all just to ignore the talk that was going on in his own house. Some students had rather dangerous imaginations about what had happened to the boy. Different rumors had taken form from Potter in a quiddich accident, Potter ill, Potter kidnapped, Potter transfered to a safe house, and the least of Snape's favorite...Potter on his deathbed.

He was also noticing that his useful tactic of reprimanding his students (preferably Gyrffindor) for doing so much as merely breathing in his presence, was doing absolutely nothing for him now.

The Granger girl who was sitting behind the Weasley boy sat up up tentatively in her seat obviously contemplating about something that Severus knew could not be of anything good. The girl and the rest of the Gryffindors exchanged hesitant looks as all their eyes kept wandering over to Potter's vacant chair. It was only a matter of time that one of the insufferable children would pop out the most dreaded and most insufferable question of all.

Severus saw that the time was unfortunatly now.

Her hand finally shot up into the air as if it was a fired off spell. Severus had momentarily considered ignoring the ungrateful display, but if he did, Granger would surly pursure.

Oh welll it's her funeral, thought Severus as he grinded his teeth together, Foolish girl

But why bother wasting needed energy to try to fight her off? Severus was growing tired as it was already for spending the majority of his afternoon finishing making arrangements to his quarters for preparation for Potter the next day. He had already transfigured his library into spare bedroom where the boy would sleep for the nights and have "quiet time" for the evenings. Snape had also been cautious when regarding his lab area as well. He had to be sure that Potter wouldn't be tempted to get his grimy hands all over his potions. Everything would have to be finished by tonight and Severus still had ways to go before his quarters are completely "Potter Proof."

"Tell me, what could possibly be of such an urgency that requires my dire attention, Ms Granger?", the agitation in his voice could not be missed.

The Granger girl lowered her hand, her bushy eyebrows parted as her eyes silently fell on the other wallowing Gryffindors in the classroom. Severus noted how her fingers were balling eagerly into small fist. Her tension being more apparent than anything else.

"Please, sir. There has been... talk... going on for the past few days about...well... Harry, sir."

Tension from every corner in the room could not have been anymore intensified. Children were gapping in awe as they shifted their attention quickly away from the meddlesome girl to their Professor's pinched face. Every fifth year Gyffindor and Slytherin was there to witness as Severus spun around towards the girl feverishly in one grandiose step.

Too feverishly in fact...

"Done pointing out the obvious, Ms Granger? Perhaps Gryffindor could do with another point reduction then if desired.", insisted Snape as he watched the girl shift uncomfortably in her seat while he stared down his nose at her. Severus did not miss as the girl's cheeks began to flush in the color of Weasley's redhair...and Potter's when it was tainted with blood...

Dammit Potter! Silently cursed Snape as the memory triggered itself again

The Granger girl began to go on about the boy whom Snape didn't want anything to do with, despite how her House mates were practically begging with her not too And so Severus fought to control himself. He couldn't get Potter out of his head either.

"Professor McGonagal told us that he's come down ill, but she hasn't told us with what exactly. Is there a possibility that you might know, sir?", she was trying to sound curious but as paranoid as Snape was becoming, he could have sworn her having some minor suspicions. After all, Potter, just like his arrogant prick of a father, would have notably told his two insolent friends about the Occumency lessons and when he was having them. Surly the two would have known that he was suppose to arrive back in one piece, or at least Granger would have known this.

Spurts of discussion and exclamations erupted from multiple mouths of students. Even Severus' own godson couldn't resist to comment on Granger's question.

"My oh my, Potty is ill", mocked the golden haired Slytherin in a gruesomely high pitched voice, "What incredibly dreadful news you have brought up, Granger. Although I must say, it's not all that bad... Easier prey for the Ministry I guess..."

Draco as well as the rest of Severus' Slytherins roared with laugher, but it was hard for them to miss the crude sounding grumble that was being emitted out of the Weasley boy's clenched jaws.

"Shut your face Malfoy! Nobody cares what you have pulled out of your arse."

The blond haired responded by smirking back at the red haired one in victory, his face smug as he taken pride in himself. His finely shaped eyebrows shot up to the top of his forehead in a nonchalant slyness.

"Scared Weasel King?" , tried Draco with a sneer, "What a shame that your Seeker is done in for the year. And who knows, with our new Headmistress in charge, maybe he'll be done for good."

This time Weasley rose from his desk, his face was burning with pure anger as he tried to defend his best mate.

"I said shut the bloody hell up you stupid prat,!!", but the boy was far from done.

And so was Severus. And far from it.

He roared in his displeasure at the untamed voices coming from all of the petty children. Their indestructible mumblings echoed mind bogglingly throughout the entire classroom.

"SILENCE!!"

It seemed that the flames from within the Potions Professor's pounding guts were finally making his usual still, stone-like frame shake in pure rage.

All his students jumped in their seats at the sudden explosion, those who were near Severus flinched back in fear that their professor would start hurtling curses at them.

It was that or rather something more along the lines of jars of dead cockroaches...

One could tell that Severus was way past paranoid as his dark robes bellowed from beneath his feet and rounded on the group of dunderhead students. His eyes were a serious charcoal black, dangerous and disturbing all at the same time as he loomed over them like a plague.

"Again, that will be another ten points from Gryffindor, Weasley, I suggest you watch your tone. To answer your incredibly inutile question, Granger, Potter is suffering from a rare case of Spattergroit. Back to work, this discussion is finished. "

Snape continued to loom over the bunch as he took in the sounds of his Slytherins snickering and the Gryffindors exclaim noises of surprise. The Granger girl once pink in the face paled multiple shades lighter at the sudden news. Weasley who was seated at the table in front of her had done the same by turning around in his seat to meet his friend's expression of great disbelief. The petty expressions on their faces could not have been anymore priceless.

Severus smirked as the Granger girl looked absolutely crossed and her friend Weasley appalled. Those students that have been born into wizarding families moaned in disgust knowing all too well that coming down with Sparagroit is no holiday. The disease is rather grotesque for one to bare; pustules covering body, fungus in the mouth, deadly high fevers, hallucinations, and it could become fatal in some cases and if left untreated. Severus stood, please with himself as he began to turn to make his way back to the front, however Granger had foolishly decided to counter his response.

"But Professor Snape", came that blasted annoyance out of the many groans and laughs, "Spattergroit takes weeks to develop, we would have noticed the symptoms before. Harry's been quite fine lately, sir, It doesn't make sense."

Students were stunned senseless as Severus did more than merely scowled at the girl. He had glided over to Granger so that this time, he was towering menacingly over her quaking form.

"What part of 'rare case' do you not understand, Ms Granger?!", bitterly sneered out the impatient man.

She was cowering underneath the man's commencing form. Her words were a stuttering mess.

"I-I d-didn't mean-"

Unfortunately for the girl, Severus had chomped down right into her stammering like he would do to a sandwich. Venom leaked from his ice breaking tone as he preceded to rip the young witch apart like the greasy git all his students claimed him to be.

"Did it every occur, insufferable girl, that perhaps you do not know everything there is to know about wizarding illnesses or rather, anything at all? Because in case you do not have the ability to comprehend what I am saying, I will make this clear: I will no longer tolerate a know-it-all in my classroom nor I will allow such mediocre displays of knowledge and meddlesome retorts to question my caliber intelligence. It will be ever so... unfortunate if you interrupt my class again, Miss Granger. I will suggest for further notice that you hold your tongue. That, or else give me the pleasure to hold for you. Test me, Granger, and you will quickly discover that my tactics in doing so could be rather... creative. "

Students were gasping for air, gawking in terror as the charcoal eyes burned with great intensity. Such merciless, onyx eyes had no doubt caused Hermione Granger to shrink back in tears from her cruelest teacher. dead silent she obediently folded her hands in her lap. Her cheeks flushed red in humiliation and If looks could kill, Severus would already of had the girl, as well as the entire class, murdered in a blink of an eye. Granger who was still as stone in her seat, finally bowed her head in submission, for this reason alone Granger dared not to glance upon his livid features. If she did decide upon it, the girl would have found out that during the brunt of the Professor's speech, Snape had slipped his hand into his robe pocket and wounded a tight fist around his wand, knuckles white as chalk.

Pleased that Granger had decided to keep her mouth finally clamped shut, Snape sneered in the uttermost triumph as he slowly withdrawn his wand from his pocket. He took all the time in the world to inwardly mused at how the girl looked absolutely petrified. She cautiously eyed him twirling his wand in one hand and then cross both arms over his chest like an overgrown bat.

"Back to work. Miss Granger.", said Snape coolly as he watched the rest of his students shift uncomfortably in their seats. The whites in his normally blackened eyes were shining with madness as the flames inside grew into a rapid flare.

"All of you! Now I say!", bit out the Potions Master wildly as he watched them all flinch away from his harsh tone , "Or else it's detention for the remainder of the year for you insufferable lot!"

Then of course, just when Severus thought such tormenting had ceased, Draco Malfoy was there to prove him wrong.

Severus was slithering back to his desk when he suddenly heard a pompous chuckle erupt from the other side of the room. With ears that were able to pick up the sound of a pin hitting a floor, Severus had carefully tuned in on his godson's next spoken words against his own will. Draco had already decided to make a comment along the lines of sarcasm to his house mates who were gathering around.

A chuckle coming from the boy had began it all, and for Severus had ended everything.

"Poor Poor Gryffindors. Detention? No house cup? No quiddich cup either? Well my fellow Slyterins, I believe that our time to shine has finally come, all thanks to Potter, of course, for soon to be not the- boy-who-lived but the-boy-who-died-pathetically. Just how he got so famous still has me stumped to this day."

"After all, he is good for nothing, just a burden. It's more the fact that he exists if you know what I mean..."

Draco paused dramatically as he leaned back into his chair with ease. His hands folded behind his head as a devilish grin sprouted from ear to bloody ear as if he was day dreaming up a fairytale, "Oh Potter, if only you can hear us now! If only you can perish into the lousy dirt just like your filthy, mudblood mother did to better our world for us purebloods."

Involuntarily Snape had came to an abrupt halt as Potter's solemn, dieing eyes flashed across his vision like an old black and white movie strip. He cracked. He died a little on the inside. And as if the flames were pouring out of his ears, his mouth, and his eyes the man had began to convulse.

Severus gave it his all just to kept his back turned to his class as if it was the only way that their lives could be spared.

Too late though... those black eyes snapped open to what he had failed to see; Had Harry Potter actually weaved his way into Snape's mind enough to make him want to defend the brat and not only just his life?

This was completely insane! Severus Snape taking the offense on Potter's offense?

Two deadly slits replaced his charcoal eyes as he stiffly turned around to see Draco laughing smugly amongst his peers like an intoxicated drunk.

Black robes bellowed dangerously from underneath the Potions Master until he was towering over the blond haired boy, brooding as he approached the younger with stealth. His teeth gritted into a snarl as the mockery went on. Still Snape couldn't put his finger on the familiarity of the situation.

Of course he was mad, of course he could not find fault with his original plan to strangle the insolent twit for speaking ill of Lily! He knew he had every reason to be livid with Draco for offending Potter's mother, but for offending her son? Well that was just absurd!

Severus was at a loss with regarding his ability to depict what had ticked him off more: Was it the comment made about Lily's blood or one about Potter's existence?

And had that particular comment Draco made about Potter been excatly the same words spoken about him by James Potter, many years ago?

'It's more of the fact that he exists if you know what I mean...'

And It was! Severus remebered that day as hell on earth! Something that he simply could not ignore.

Defending Lily's memory should have been easy, but it wasn't when Potter's face had flashed before him to remind him of why it could not be.

The Slyterins hysterics were immediately toned down when Draco finally found himself overtaken by the darkening shadow of his Professor. The laughter had died on his lips after he caught glimpse of the man's murderous expression. Severus, who was still shaking with an increasing unchecked temper, had barely managed to speak to the blond without cursing him there on the spot.

"There seems to be a problem here. Mr. Malfoy, would you kindly explain why you feel you are an exception in following directions and have the need to ruefully interrupt my classroom?", tersely asked the Professor between gritted teeth. He then cocked his head awkwardly to the side and folded his arms more stiffly across his chest than he had done with Granger. Malfoy did not miss to see how the man had not yet pocketed his wand and instead was twisting the thing slowly between his elongated fingers. The bitterness in Severus's voice couldn't have been anymore evident as he watched his godson's crossed expression turn into one full of terror.

"Well Draco?", he pushed.

The blond's Adams apple bobbed up and down as he swallowed nothing. A nervous smirk replaced his sly one at once.

"Oh theres no problem here at all, Professor. I was only discussing with Crabb and Goyal about the assignment. Honestly", insisted Draco as he ran a hand through his sleek blond hair.

Snape mused to himself how ironic this ordeal was, because to his horror, the exact display of hair ruffling was shockingly similar to that of his old enemy. As if the world didn't have enough Potters, there also had to be one in his own house!

"Interesting.", Snape drawled venomously, "Because if I'm not mistaken I believe I had just heard you express your ideals rather clearly, Mr. Malfoy. Are you certain there is nothing else you would like to share on the subject or perhaps also with regarding your open concern for Mr. Potter's wellbeing?"

Stunned senseless all Malfoy could do was blankly stare up at his Professor disbelieving what he had just heard; that Snape was in the mist of reprimanding him about bashing Potter and what not. Draco could never ask why, so instead of the boy shook his head to deny it, "Umm...No, nothing at all, Sir. Of course not, Sir, I didn't...I didn't mean...well I certainly didn't say anything like that!"

Severus raised a single eyebrow at this yet his facial features still remained completely unreadable.

"Oh really?", purred out the sarcastic comment of the Potions Master.

And what happened next made every students' jaw drop to the ground in pure astonishment. Many were stunned as they watched as their Potions Professor flicked his wand, thus forcing Draco Malfoy out of a relaxed position and into a upright stance.

"Umm...Professor? What are you-"

But a yelp of surprise had caught up in the blond teen's throat after Severus' lashed out his wand yet another time. In a split second Draco was sent spiraling forwards until his stomach and ribs had collided roughly with the edge of his desk. Seconds afterwards his chair had followed suit by sandwiching the lanky body in between.

"Hey! What the hell do you think you are-ow!-doing?-OWWW!", exclaimed Draco as he glanced up angrily at the looming dark figure. Stone like as always, Severus did not budge. The only movement radiating off the man were his lips, which were automatically moistened as he scowled downwards at his godson.

"Fixing your atrocious posture for a start", casually answered the Potions Master. With another relentless flick of the wand, Severus' caused the young Malfoy to be pressed more forcibly into the wood with no mercy intended in the least. Insolent mistakes were NOT going to be tolerated anymore, Severus was sure of that.

But the man did not feel the slightest pity for his godson as he watched the boy struggle to get free, squirming like a worm in the process. The Ex Death Eater's thin lips twitched upwards into a sadistic smile, charcoal eyes gleamed with many hardhearted intentions of the killer he had once been.

"But of course there is still plenty left to be done here. Perhaps a little persuasion is all I need in order to prompt a more befitting answer to my question. Isn't that so, Mr. Malfoy?" , asked the Ex Deatheater in a voice that was deadly calm. Draco tried to surpress a whimper but had promptly failed as the Potions Master wand remained flicked upwards. He did not let up at all on the spell as Draco's ribcage was slammed ruthlessly again and against the wooden frame.

"Stop! Ouchhh! I didn't-YEEOWWW!!! My father will hear about this! You just wait!", cried the boy as he was literally keeled over the table in pain.

In an instant, Severus had swooped down on his student like the overgrown bat he was known for being, his features were wry, and his lips parted ever so slightly

"How very unlikely.", came his waspish whisper, " Afterall, your father is a very very busy man, and I would surly just hate to disturb him for something so petty. I beg to differ that he would take kindly to such news that his son has been foolishly firing off his mouth at every given chance to do so, wouldn't you agree, Draco? Now..."

Obviously in no mood to be lenient, Severus bluntly asserted his temper by grabbing a fist full of the boy's blond's hair. Draco whimpered aloud and cried out as his dignity was being striped from his back just as easily as an elf's clothing. Primal fear kicked into gear for the young Malfoy as he then had no other choice but to lock eyes with his superior.

"Restrain this pathetic display of lack of self control at once! And do so before you land yourself in more trouble than you're notably worth. Any more of this nonsense, Mr. Malfoy, and you'll find yourself hexed into this position until curfew. You are not above the rules and in case this fact was disregarded in previous years: detention will go for Slytherin as well. Now do I make myself clear or must I spell it out for you?"

Snape still frame shook in rage as the Slyertin boy struggled through his final attempt of resistance. Of course Draco had quickly surrendered by finding that cowering underneath the man's scathing stare was much easier than fighting it.

"Ok ok...Owww!...Ahhh! Oooowww!...alright I get it! Just let me-OOOOWWWW-GO! Merlin!", exclaimed the Slyterin wildly as Snape continued to glare furiously. Still not satisfied, Severus yanked up on the boy's bleach blond hair.

Malyfoy was yet again bashed into the desk, "I mean 'Sir'!... I'm sorry sir!"

Fortunatly Malfoy had not wanted there to be any confusion as he repeated his last words, "I'm sorry" and had submissively snaped his neck into an insisting head nod. Sevrus, aloof and hard to read, then finally released his hold on the boy's hair. In attempt to seem genially apologetic, Malyfoy bowed his head. The pained stricken, slightly anguished expression on the teen's face had also furthermore made the regretful display rather convincing.

At first nothing happen, Draco remained squashed between the two objects like a bug. Then as Snape stalked off, the binding spell he had placed on the brat's body had lifted. Draco's compressed form flopped forward exhaustedly, his tongue lolled right out the side of his mouth.

Storming to the front of the room, the Potions Professor imagined that the gawking expressions of his students were not there.

But they were!

He was obviously not imaging anything. This nightmare was real: Severus Snape had literally throttled his own godson, a Slyterin, for talking rubbish about Potter, the boy who he was suppose to not give a damn about!

The venom in Severus's voice, nor that haunted look in those cracking black orbs of stone, could not be missed by any of the fifth years in the room. There were jaws dropping, eyes widening in bewilderment, in shock, and in unbelievability as Severus Snape marched out of the classroom and into his office where he bellowed one lasting and final, "GET BACK TO WORK!" before slamming the door in full force.

Out of the corner of his blackened pupils, the potions master was able to see the bewilderment flashing behind the young faces. He couldn't blame them, he was so confused at himself as well. How he just acted was unexcusable, he could not believe he had sunken so low...

But of course, only a certain Harry Potter could have that effect on him.

It was only a moment after Severus had slammed the blasted door that the sound of, yet again, more breaking glass bounced off his office walls. A whole rack of vials fell from their shelf from the slam of the door, and smashed onto his floors. The scarier part was this: it took only a fraction of a second for Severus to remember the sound of glass breaking on a child's head...

A rush or air blew out from behind him suddenly and had caused Severus to turn around to face his fire place as greens flames flared in alarm. A familiar voice called for him from within.

"Professor Snape?", asked the voice that Severus knew all to well.

Severus decided just then to stop pinching the bridge of his nose and instead, dragged himself over to the fire place to hear the confirmed identity.

"It's Madam Promfrey. May I floo into your office for a few minutes, Professor?"

"Certainly.", was his curtly reply.

How could he say no? He was no longer allowed to because once again, Severus had no control of the situation or where his damned life was heading.

In a matter of a minute, the green flames roared and out came the little medi-witch, Madam Promfey. With eyes uneasily with knowledge, and with hands jumbling with anticipation, Severus bloody well knew that something was dearly troubling the little witch. Her mouth was drawn in tight, unchanging frown, and one that Severus was all too familiar with during these grueling drawn out days.

If only the news wasn't about Potter...

If only it wasn't, Severus wanted to beg to differ as he watched the medi-witch open her mouth as if to say something and then close it again to reconsider her unspoken words. Severus did not care this time that he did not even attempt to repress such a restless sigh from escaping his battered throat.

'If only it wasn't Potter...'

A dreadful mind grain had also decided to spring upon him for the lovely occasion because just as he brought a hand to his pounding forehead one and only one thing had crossed his thoughts;

'oh but it was.'

Chapter End Notes:
=) part two coming soon!