Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thought I'd update this early, thanks to my wodnerful reviewers! Enjoy.
Circumstances Change

He was home. That was the first thing Draco realized when he forced his eyes open and shakily looked around at his surroundings nervously. He had vague memories of a tool shed and someone grabbing him as well as unfamiliar voices talking about him. He tried to sit up but slumped back against his pillow when his head throbbed, his body ached and his stomach protested to the movement. He lay there for many minutes while everything in the past few days came flooding back to him, making his head spin and his stomach hurt further with the knowledge that he was hungry. His throat was sore also although it felt soother than it should, perhaps someone had given him something to drink...if that was possible to do while someone was unconscious.

Draco squeezed his eyes shut and waited until he could think straight again before opening and pondering on where Harry or Snape were. He felt guilty about leaving his brother, but even more for being caught and brought back here. He had wanted to break away from his brother in the chance that with only one of them around, Snape might take better care of Harry and provide him with stronger protection. And so Draco had snuck out and sought out his Aunt Andromeda. One would say he had gone on quite an adventure, but Draco thought of it more as though he had been dragged through hell.

"You're awake" Snape said from the doorway and Draco flinched to the sudden sound as well as the deep scowl on the man's facial features.

"No, I'm still sleeping" Draco attempted an innocent smile but it turned more into a wince when his head starting hurting again.

"Sit" Snape instructed why holding a semi-clear vial in one hand and ran diagnostics with his wand in the other hand.

"I...don't think I can" Draco gasped out. He barely had time to react when Snape reached over and pulled him into sitting position, giving his back support with one hand while holding the vial to his lips with his other. He expected more pain from being suddenly moved but the potion was smoothing its course down his throat before he could even recall opening his mouth or commanding it to drink. In seconds, he was resting against the comfort of his bed again and Snape was turning to leave.

"Where's...Harry?" Draco asked, his voice low and clearly full of partial remorse.

"I have contained him downstairs" Snape paused at the doorway. "He is...displeased, with your foolish actions."

"Did he say that?" Draco wondered weakly, feeling even worst with what he had failed to do.

"I believe he babbled unnecessarily for over an hour" Snape rolled his eyes. "I summarized his rant."

"Oh" Draco sighed. His brother had pitched a fit, basically. "Does he hate me?"

Snape hesitated with that question, surprised that Draco would even think his brother capable of hating him after what had happened. Yes he'd left him without telling him why etc, but their bond was clearly stronger than that...didn't Draco understand?

"If he loathed you, he would not care for your return" Snape answered but it did nothing to reassure the blonde boy.

"He does not hate you" He added and left the room, making his way downstairs where Harry was once again curled on the couch with tear-streaked cheeks but had fallen asleep.

Snape smiled in relief and washed the empty vial of pain reliever and sat in an armchair across from Harry to read. He had to keep an eye on the raven-haired boy since he had a tendency to be indecisive between either punching Draco or hugging him. Until Snape knew which he was going to choose, the boys were not allowed within six feet of each other.

"Mmhm" Harry mumbled in his sleep and shifted on his side, unaware that he was muttering in his sleep or that what he was dreaming wasn't actually real. "Sorry."

Snape glanced up but noticed that the boy remained in his slumber. Deciding that it wasn't a nightmare, he returned to his book and wondered when he would be able to gather some more potions ingredients before school started up again.

"Where going mom?" Harry asked a little louder and Snape felt a small chill spread through his forms as he paused in his reading once again but did not lift his eyes from the page.

"But...dad" Harry rolled again, his face deforming with anguish but Snape still refused to move his gaze, not wanting to see the expression on the child's face as he dreamed of the family he no longer had.

"Is he coming back? Don't go!" Harry twisted and a muffled sob was heard.

Unable to handle it, Snape abandoned his book and left his armchair, reaching Harry in seconds as he lifted a hand through the boy's hair.

"I love you too, mom" Harry whispered but calmed and his mutterings ceased. Snape continued to brush the boy's hair and just stared at his young face, deep in thought about how he could even remember his parents since he had been a toddler when they had died. Or maybe it was just a mother and father he was dreaming of? Faceless figures that he somehow knew were his parents.

Snape removed his hand as though he had been burned and turned swiftly from the room, progressed up the stairs and peaking into the bedroom where Draco was once again asleep in.

Neither boy had been given much chance with their parents. Snape knew this to be true and yet it hadn't crossed his mind until now.

Curious however, he touched Draco's hair and noticed it too was soft, perhaps not the same as Harry's Lily-like hair, but soft all the same. He brushed the blonde streaks from the boy's eyes but moved back when he frowned, somewhat aware of the action. Harry slept through it while Draco appeared to be partially awoken by the touch. The reason for that perhaps lay in the fact that Draco had probably received even less loving comfort from his parents before they passed. Snape knew the Malfoy boy could sleep deeply so it wasn't because of their sleeping patterns that he began to wake from the foreign contact.

Snape sat at the table downstairs and summoned a piece of parchment alongside a quill and deep green ink. With his required materials, he began to write a letter to Dumbledore:

<blockquote>Albus,

I wish to request that the boys be removed from my company. They require much more than I am able to give them and it would be unwise for each of them to remain here. I must also once again press the fact that they cannot be returned to their previous living environment, those horrid muggles never once treated either of them with love nor provided them with the care and safety in which they no doubt require.

Draco is recovering with considerable speed and Harry is calming down and accepting that the other will remain while he rests.

Please accept my plea and move these boys elsewhere. I can do nothing productive for them here, that kind duty should be bestowed upon someone who is more capable of such coddling. The Weasleys, perhaps?

I await your immediate response so that we may begin making arrangements.

Severus Snape</blockquote>

He folded the parchment and floo'ed the letter through to Dumbledore, having no doubt that the man would be sitting at his desk and peering down at something through his half-mood spectacles. Snape sighed and looked over at Harry and felt pleased when he saw that the boy was sleeping soundly and did not appear to be bothered by his dreams. He frowned as he tried to imagine the boys without their cautious, sad faces or their malnourished figures. He imagined them in clean, colourful clothes instead of faded rags that barely fit either of them properly. Brushed hair clean faces and well-fed stomachs...it was disturbing because the image that he conjured in his mind was of the two boys in such a loved state as they ran around, laughing together and just generally acting like the children they were inside. In his mind they were in his backyard, only it was greener and the tree taller (Merlin forbid Draco to notice that, even in his mind). It was terrifying because Snape could achieve that...in appearance anyhow. But he did not feel as though he could provide them the love they also needed along with the safety and reassurance in which they so desperately lacked.

A sound interrupted his little daydream and a letter hovered out of the fireplace. Careful not to wake Harry, he clutched the letter and read Dumbledore's reply.

<blockquote>Dear Severus,

I am regretful to hear your change of heart. Of course the necessary arrangements can easily be made. The Ministry may be involved, seeing as to place these boys elsewhere would mean finding them a suitable home and family to live with. However you are legally bound as Draco's Godfather, which means that he must remain with you for each holiday for an entire year while the paperwork is handled to give him to a family.

I do not wish to forgo this course of action because regretfully, the boys will be split up since they are not related by blood and Draco does have relatives in which may or may not be able to take him in. Harry would in most cases be handed into the custody of Remus Lupin but because of his condition that is not possible. The Weasleys have enough kids as it is, even though I'm certain they would love to take either or both boys into their care, it would simply be unfair to request that of them.

How soon do you wish for Harry to be shifted to Hogwarts as he awaits acceptance into a family? I will also do everything in my power to ensure that he does not end up adopted by the Ministry.

Please answer promptly as I am a very busy wizard.

Hope all is well.

Ablus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore</blockquote>

Snape crumpled the letter in his clenched fist and scowled deeply.

"Manipulative bastard" He muttered and glared at the fireplace as though Dumbledore was peering at him through it. Of course, the old man had NO intention of doing anything he had stated in the letter. But he was telling Snape in his own conning way that he is sickeningly the boys only real chance of remaining together. They would receive unlimited love and care, but without his “special circumstance” of caring for them...they would be apart.

Motivated and fueled by his anger towards Dumbledore's sneering plan, Snape wrote another letter in response, not hesitating to make it formal and used more curse words than necessary.

Two pages of angry ranting and irrational arguments later, he glared even deeper and added the finishing sentences while hating the man and himself with every inch of his being.

<blockquote>Fine. I will sign them into my custody. I cannot guarantee their happiness, but I assure you that they will not suffer the mistreatment they have endured their entire lives.

Remember that I loathe you for making me to this.

Severus Snape</bockquote>

He sent the message and blocked his fireplace, not wanting to receive the reply letter stating how the manipulative old man was “thrilled” about his “decision” to look after the boys for any duration in which they do not spend at school.

"Argh!" Harry yelped, startling the man and himself as he rolled over and fell onto the floor. "Ow" He mumbled, rubbing his elbow and than looks up at the man, blushing slightly. "Sorry."

Shaking his head and rolling his eyes, Snape left the boy behind and made his way upstairs to check on Draco. The blonde boy was sitting up and looking a lot better. He glanced up when Snape entered but his eyes trailed to the space behind him. Aware of Harry, Snape made sure that he wasn't about to attack Draco but he just appeared to be staring at his brother with a shy expression.

"I believe this is the appropriate moment in which to have this discussion" Snape nodded. "Draco, I expect you showered and dressed downstairs in five minutes" He said and placed a hand on Harry's shoulder to steer him out of the room when he showed no signs of being able to move on his own.

Draco nodded even though they had left and remained staring at the doorway for a moment. He wasn't entirely sure if his few days of absence had really done much good, but he did notice the contact Snape initiated towards harry, however small the accomplishment actually rested with Harry's reaction, or rather...the lack thereof. There was no flinch nor cautious glance as they had been reacting to touch for most of their lives. It had become...natural, to have Snape place a hand on his shoulder. Or maybe Draco was reading too much into the situation? Looking desperately for something good to have come from his guilt-driven actions.

Sighing, he made his way into the bathroom, showered (and how wonderful the cool water felt as well as the sense of being clean) and than changed into his least torn but still baggy pants and a loose, faded black shirt.

Deciding to face the inevitable, Draco made his way downstairs but paused on the last step as he watched the other two. Harry was sitting on the couch and looked up at Snape who was reminding him that he would magically stick his bottom to the couch if he didn't think he could stay there.

"I'll be good" Harry sighed and yawned even though he had woken a short time ago. Unable to fight it, he lay down on his side and closed his eyes.

Even though it was what he'd hoped for, Draco still felt a pang of envy when he saw Snape hover a blanket over Harry and brush some hair from his face before he made his way into the kitchen.

When Snape turned, Draco was sitting himself at the table and glancing at Harry with the same shy look he'd received from his brother earlier.

"Eat" Snape instructed while placing a plate of sandwiches, a glass of juice and a small plate of fruit in front of him.

Draco pulled a face since he hadn't eaten much and didn't feel hungry, but his hard-learned habits of accepting any food in his reach took over and he forced most of it down.

"Are you mad?" Draco asked cautiously when Snape sat across from him and watched him eat. He felt a bit safer around the man if Harry seemed to be so accepting of him, although he wondered how that had happened.

Snape was mad, he was infuriated and it was only contradicted by his relief that the boy was alive and recovering.

"Your actions were foolish and you will not be trusted to be outdoors for some time until I am entirely convinced that you will stay put. However...I am merely relieved that you are alive and relatively unharmed."

Draco sat up straighter and looked at Snape with a bewildered yet also somewhat flattered expression.

"You were...worried about me?" He whispered. "But, why?"

"He's not so bad" Harry said, surprising the pair as he approached them sleepily and stood near the side of the table but closer to Snape rather than Draco, unsure if he still wanted to hit his brother for scaring him or if Snape was going to let him near his brother anyway.

"He was almost nice" Harry said to Draco while Snape crossed his arms and eyed the boys, not sure if he trusted himself to say anything.

"What do you mean?" Draco wondered.

"He let me stay up when I was worried you wouldn't come back" Harry bit his lip and looked away. "I guess he kinda took care of me because I was so scared" He look directly at Draco with a scowl and the blonder one flinched back, shocked by such a look being directed at him by his brother.

"Why did you do that?" Harry sniffed. "Why did you leave me?" He demanded to know.

Snape had intended to question the boy but since Harry may be able to trigger a more truthful response, he just sat back and listened carefully.

"I...I thought you would be better off without me" Draco admitted and bent his head to stare at his partially empty plate of fruit.

"Harry!" Snape said in alarm and wrapped his arms around the midsection of the boy when he clenched his fists and lunged at his brother angrily.

"You idiot!" Harry sobbed and snarled, not even aware that he wasn't close enough to hit his brother and swung his fists anyhow. "How could I be better without you?"

"I think it would be wise if you explained the situation from the beginning" Snape encouraged while tightening him grip on Harry only slightly; the boy was stronger than he'd expected.

Draco eyed the way Harry let Snape restrain him without seeming to associate the touch with memories of Vernon...did he really trust Snape that much in such a short time?

"Um...well okay" Draco sighed, wiping his own tears that were trigged by his brother's reaction. He closed his eyes and remembered what had happened while he explained it aloud.

---

He mentioned climbing the tree outside, about how he wondered if things would be easier if it was only one of them there instead of two. He knew that Harry could feel safe with Snape...he wasn't sure how he knew but it was true. Draco thought about his parents, wondering if they had left some sort of curse on him and that perhaps he'd lived to pay for their sins, even if they had been trying to escape the darker side...it had still been there.

He had snuck out, wanting to find his godfather but instead searched for his aunt based on the address he had researched and gathered from his Christmas present.

Once outside, he walked for a while and than called the Knight Bus to take him to his aunt's house. He couldn't remember where it had been, only that it took a while and he slept for most of the journey. Once there he knocked and waited for hours but no one was home.

Draco wandered around and watched the weird fish in a backyard pond for a long time until he noticed that it was getting dark and it began to rain slightly. He snuck into the tool shed with his trunk and lay down to sleep, scared of being alone and missing Harry a lot.

He cried, not he didn't tell that part of his story...how he had lay there restless and distraught until the sun rose and he still couldn't sleep. He was too tired to try knocking again and he didn't even know how long he lay there on the cold floor until it lost all meaning to him, losing himself in his parents past and his guilt for leaving Harry.

Eventually he had been found although it hadn't made much sense to him and when he'd seen Snape again...it felt like he was coming home.

--- 

"I'm really sorry, Harry" Draco sniffed. "Vernon always said we're a burden and how it makes his life hell to have us around. I thought that if I wasn't around then you would get more rather than everything being shared" He shrugged. "I know it was stupid but I just...look, I'm so so sorry!"

Snape exhaled when Harry suddenly became limp in his arms and slowly he released his grip, trusting that the boy wasn't going to hit his brother anytime soon.

"I will forgive you on one condition" Harry mumbled. "That you never, ever do that again!" He was sobbing now too as he wrapped his arms around the startled Draco and held him tight.

"I don't think I deserve it" Draco sighed but leaned to the hug and appeared afraid to let Harry go.

Snape felt as though he was intruding on their moment but knew that the situation had to be rectified while it was still fresh.

"Draco" Snape said and the boys parted to look at him, wiping their eyes on their sleeves as they did. He suppressed a grimace at their actions and continued.

"I do not know entirely what deluded you into believing that you are any less deserving of a normal life, but I will not tolerate any more of this nonsense" Snape said firmly. "Each of you will be remaining here until we are due back at Hogwarts. During such time I am primarily your guardian and responsible for your well-being" He told them and analyzed their shared look.

"Neither of you are considered a burden, merely a inconvenience to my free time and sanity" Snape sighed. "I assure you, if I had no interest in ensuring that you are each cared for, than neither of you would be in my home right now."

"You mean that?" Draco raised a surprised eyebrow.

"I hardly joke about such things" Snape narrowed his eyes. "In a few days we will be going to Diagon Alley as I require a little shopping trip, during that time I will be replacing those despicable rags you each wear. If we have time, we may even purchase your school belongings early. Is this understood?"

"Yes sir" Draco nodded.

"Yeah, thanks" Harry added.

"Very well" Snape nodded. "Now I am behind in brewing schedule, excuse me" He left the table and approached the door to his potions lab. "I expect you to take your plates to the sink for cleaning once you are finished" He added to Draco while the boys went to leave the table as well.

Draco frowned slightly but hurried his things to the sink and than headed towards the back door in hope of climbing the tree again, but as he turned the handle...it didn't budge.

"You will be remaining indoors" Snape's voice carried to Draco, sounding almost amused with the boy's efforts to break free of the house. "As punishment."

"Hmph" Draco crossed his arms but sighed and offered Harry a lopsided smile.

"I'm glad you came back" Harry said seriously. "I missed you."

"I'm sorry" Draco said sincerely.

"I know" Harry nodded with a sigh. "I'm still going to punch you but you're off the hook for now."

"Thanks" Draco said dryly. "So was Snape really worried?"

Snape scowled when he heard Harry exaggerating and going into excruciating detail of everything he did while the boys made their way upstairs to their room. He no longer lingered outside his lab and turned to make his way inside. And for the first time that he could ever remember...he suddenly didn't feel like brewing a potion.

Chapter End Notes:
Let me know what you think! I have a lot of plans for the upcoming few days for this little group, :)