Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Hit a bit of a stump with this chapter but have re-read the fic so far and every review I ever received for this fic. It's back on track again, finally, so expect more soon!
All in Appearance

Snape was waiting by the enlarged fireplace when the boys came downstairs in relatively average clothes, or at least they weren't torn and too baggy. Regardless, Snape grimaced at the sight of them and vowed to have them dressed in better attire, anything other than those...rags.

'Have either of you traveled via floo powder previously?' Snape asked and noticed how the boys looked at each other as if to say “What?”.

'Hm' Snape retrieved a small box that contained floo power and explained the process of travel to the boys. Although Draco appeared somewhat familiar with it, however unpracticed.

--

They managed to get to the Leaky Cauldron without much difficulty, even if Harry ended up with cracked glasses and Draco caught soot all though his hair. Not wasting any time, Snape waved his wand and in seconds each boy was entirely clean and otherwise flawless in appearance. He sighed and turned to lead them into Diagon Alley.

'I could never get sick of this place' Harry grinned and looked around the cobbled street with wide eyes.

'No kidding' Draco added.

Snape was only mildly pleased to see that there was as little a crowd of people as he'd hoped and yet there still seemed to be too many. If the street was entirely empty, he would probably still feel as though it was too crowded.

'Come along' Snape told them after he'd applied a few glamors to reduce his chances of being recognized and followed with questioning gazes.

Harry turned towards Snape and hurried to keep up with the man's tall strides while Draco merely increased in steps as he was already standing by Snape's side.

'Where are we going, sir?' Draco felt brave enough to ask once they had all extracted gold from Gringotts.

'You each require a number of new belongings' Snape answered while Harry looked up at him curiously. 'I will not tolerate seeing those rags you each so pitifully wear' He frowned and the boys looked down at their hand-me-downs. Draco blushed while Harry frowned; he didn't think they were that bad!

'Sorry sir' Draco said. 'It's all we have apart from our school clothes'.

'An unfortunate fact I intend to change' Snape nodded and lead them into Madam Malkin's Robes for all occasions where they each picked out two pairs of everyday robes they liked. Draco and Harry both selected robes orientated around black but while Draco preferred emerald trimmings, Harry moved more towards the dark blue ones.

Snape took them to several stores in which their school supplies were picked up after he had basically instructed them both to each purchase an entirely new wardrobe of clothes.

--

Snape had kept an eye on the time and yet was still surprised by how quickly it passed them by as they shopped, had lunch and then proceeded to gather the final things they required.

He scarcely gave them many options apart from which shirts they preferred etc, mostly to keep them under control, such as when he refused to allow them to purchase ice cream because of its stickiness and tendency to turn children into hyper-energetic monsters. But as they turned to leave Diagon Alley, he found that he was unable to deny their request to have a quick look inside Quality Quidditch Supplies. With his dream in mind, Snape exhaled and rolled his eyes while moving his hands in a “shooing” motion.

'Thanks!' Harry said with a grin and Draco rushed into the store ahead of him, also looking thoroughly excited to be inside it.

Snape grunted in annoyance and followed after them, mentally preparing himself for the inevitable trouble the boys were likely to create or stumble upon. He hesitated when he spotted a scene almost identical to his dream, where he was standing from a short distance and watching them over by the equipment section.

'I think I would prefer being a Seeker than a Chaser' Harry was saying to Draco as Snape cautiously approached them, trying to compose himself and shake off the false images in which he had coincidently dreamed of many hours previous.

Draco scoffed and ran his hand over the beater's bat before turning to gaze at Snape with an off sort of smile, showing his gratitude towards the man for letting them have a look around.

'Is there anything I can assist you with?' A tall wizard with a curled mustache and long robes asked as he approached them.

'No' Snape said, placing a hand on Draco's shoulder to discreetly tell him to remain silent, since the boy was halfway through opening his mouth while eying a expensive-looking pair of robes near the back corner.

Draco huffed in disappointment but received the hint and remain quiet while Harry walked away from them and examined several moving posters on a far wall, each showing a team or particular player.

Snape crossed his arms and watched as the boys continued to look around the store with interest and longing. He permitted them each to buy a book and small figurine before insisting that it is time to leave.

Stepping back into Diagon Alley, Snape couldn't prevent the sense of contentedness in which he felt as the boys played with their now-prized possessions and the smiles that formed their joyous expressions.

--

Through apparation, the three arrived back in Spinner's End shortly after and Snape immediately instructed the boys to take all of their belongings upstairs, put them in their rightful place and change into their new, casual attire. He entirely intended to burn or toss the rags he had rightfully replaced with actual clothing.

Snape waited a moment and then silently made his way upstairs to place an item or tow in his own room, listening intently to the conversation taking place inside the other room, each boy unaware of his eavesdropping while they left the bed room door wide open.

'He's being so nice to us, why?' Snape heard Harry ask.

'I dunno' Draco grumbled in reply, obviously annoyed that he was expected to know the answer to such a question. 'Maybe he pities us?'

'I don't think so' Harry frowned in denial. 'He seems to like us a bit'.

A bit? Snape almost growled verbally. Liking someone a bit for him merely meant he wouldn't hex them in the first minute, the second however...

'Well he's not mean like Vernon' Draco sighed, his voice sounding muffled so he was likely to be getting changed. 'Nor fussy like Petunia. Do you really think he'll let us stay all summer? What if he gets sick of us?'

Harry didn't reply so Snape moved across his bedroom and made a show of walking past their room, without giving them a glance, merely to let them know that he had likely overheard them.

--

Snape made himself a cup of tea and sat at the table with a pile of parchments while he waited for the boys to come downstairs. And when they did, he was once again reminded of his dream when he noticed their clean appearances and the expressions of happiness upon their young faces.

'Thanks again, sir' Draco said as he sat across from him to enjoy the snacks placed there for them.

'Yeah, you really didn't have to' Harry added, joining his brother.

'You each expected me to tolerate your pitiful appearances further?' Snape raised and eyebrow at them, noticing Draco's embarrassment and the way he glance away while Harry merely lost his happy expression.

'Those muggles treated you nothing short of filth' Snape elaborated and caught their attention again. 'I was merely attempting to exact the reverse effect. You each look...satisfactory' He added and their grins returned. Of course, he could have said that they looked really nice in their new clothes, happier than he'd seen them before and as they should have if anyone had bothered to really care for them. But Severus Snape was not a man of warming words, and therefore did the best he could allow and then fell silent.


The boys occupied themselves with their new belongings and were content to remain upstairs in their room until dinner; Snape had no complaints there. After eating, they showered and read their books for a little longer before being instructed to sleep.

Snape remained downstairs, enjoying the silence while trying to formulate thoughts he understood and could cast aside instead of analyzing the confusing feelings swelling inside him. He sat on the couch where he had cared for Harry and then transfigured into a bed for both boys, unaware that one of them had woken.

Harry yawned and left his bed, intent on going into the bathroom to relieve himself and then return to his warm bed, however on the way back he noticed a small light from downstairs and curiosity seized him. He silently crept down the many stairs and peaked into the room, tipped his head lightly in surprise as he stared at Snape, who was eying the floor with his black hair curtaining about his face. His expression wasn't blank as Harry had expected, but it was entirely unguarded and the boy noticed the confusion, the conflict and the...sadness?

What did Snape have to be sad and confused about? He was a strong man who no one could mess with, he always had answers and was like a shocking force whenever someone needed him. And yet...who was there to save Snape when he was in trouble? He thought of Dumbledore at first but for some reason it didn't seem right to Harry. He was so grateful for the man and seeing him in such a state made him feel worst, as though it was his fault that the strong wizard was struggling with whatever was causing him to feel sad.

Snape glanced up when Harry approached, looking puzzled and a little startled but he did nothing more than straighten his posture and eye the child curiously.

'Are alright, sir?' Harry asked, keeping his voice low as so not to wake Draco.

'I am fine, merely tired' Snape answered. 'Why are you not asleep?'

'I was' Harry answered. 'I had to use the bathroom' He added as for a fleeting moment he thought he was going to be in trouble but the seconds past and Snape said nothing else so he continued.

'I don't think Draco and I were able to express how thankful we are, you know? For saving us and stuff' Harry offered a light smile. 'We were so scared and everything was so...horrible' He glanced down at the floor although it was concealed in the shadows (the only light in the room was a small lamp glowing from the corner).

'Then you saved us and...well you listened sir, no one ever did that before' Harry breathed. 'You were nice and you got us real clothes while letting us stay here' He shrugged. 'Thank-you'.

Snape watched Harry for a moment and didn't utter a word until Harry looked up again, appearing a little embarrassed and uncertain now.

'You should not be this grateful' Snape sighed. 'These mere acts you believe to be a kindness should have already been given you each of you' He continued. 'I was merely provided where you each lacked, with the exception of...' Snape tried to figure out how to phrase it. 'Love' He added, unable to find a better way to explain how he could only do so much to help them and that he really wasn't a hero, merely that they couldn't miss something they'd never had.

Harry surprised him let again as he it his lip, shuffled his feet and winced as he quickly forced himself forward and wrapped his arms around Snape's shoulders. He would have moved back just as quickly but found the action to be more comforting that he'd expected to return, that and it was amusing how Snape stiffened with the touch but did not otherwise move.

'No, that too' Harry whispered as he smiled and pulled away, feeling the man's hand on his back before it was quickly retracted.

'Goodnight, sir' He added with a warm smile and turned to make his way towards the stairs again but paused. He looked back at Snape, who had a composed expression and only looked more conflicted than before.

'I know you're mean at school and you don't tolerate a lot' Harry felt he should share these particular thoughts with his teacher and rescuer. 'But if you didn't care about us at all, you wouldn't have saved us, fed us, given us clothes and all that stuff. I reckon Dumbledore or someone else could have found a place for us to stay, right?' Harry asked, praying that his words were correct.

'I think you like us at least, but you should know...we like you too. I mean, we would rather be here than anywhere else right now and you're a nice person when you're not teaching or scowling. Anyway, thanks sir. We'll be forever grateful' And with that the suddenly-mature boy had turned the left the room entirely, no doubt returning to his bed to sleep.

Snape was stunned and conflicted as he stared at the empty steps and pondered on the past few minutes. He was sure Harry would forget this in the morning and Draco would never know of it, and yet he almost wished it wasn't so. He still felt the sensation of Harry's hair brushing against his own, his soft and trusting tone as he whispered into his ear as well as the warm breath again his skin, the way the boy had felt so fragile and yet strong against his chest and finally...how somehow Harry had fit perfectly against him in the form of a hug as though their figures were made and shaped for such an embrace.

There was only one way to describe Snape's reaction to such realizations and how he now knew he had many issues in which he would require sorting through once he regained himself...it nothing short of horrifically terrified him through every cell in his body and mind. The terror and undeniable truths filled inside him, causing his fingers to shiver slightly and his head to lower towards the floor once more; he was frightened of would follow and yet did not wish to prevent it. This was the one thing Severus Snape feared more than anything else in life or death; caring for another without wanting to prevent it and therefore giving the other the uncontrollable opportunity to emotionally tear him to shreds; he would not be able to piece himself back together a second time. And yet, for the life of everything, he unknowingly decided to let it runs its course. Perhaps history would not repeat itself? Snape cast a silent prayer and headed towards what he knew would be a restless sleep.

Chapter End Notes:
Haven't really gone over this chapter yet and it's a bit shorter than I intended but it has been so long since there has been an update so...yeah.
Will update again soon, please review. Any feedback would help and feel free to suggest idea! :) Until then,
-Mel