Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry that this has taken so long. I have gone over it several times and honestly, I'm still not quite happy with it. I hope that you will like it.
Chapter Seven
 

Petunia Dursley woke with a start when her alarm began to ring. She reached over quickly and shut off the alarm, not wanting her husband, Vernon, to awaken too early. He was always grumpy in the morning, but would be exponentially worse if he woke before 7 o'clock and that was an hour away. He would expect his breakfast to be ready and on the table when he got up, so she had to hurry. She grabbed the clothes that she had laid out for herself the evening before and after a quick shower, dressed. She swiftly, but silently ascended the stairs and went to awaken her nephew.

Upon arriving at the cupboard in which Vernon insisted he sleep, she was shocked to discover its door was missing. Fear began to course through her veins as she realized that the boy was gone. 'Where is he? Vernon will kill me if he discovers he is gone.' She knew that it was terrible of her to allow him to do awful things to the boy, but at the same time she considered her safety and that of her son more important. Without Harry around as a buffer, she was terrified at what would happen to them.

Petunia took a deep breath. She would have to do what she could to prevent and alleviate as much of his inevitable rage as was possible. She needed to distract him. A full English breakfast would be a suitable solution. Vernon would assume that Harry had prepared the meal, even if he didn't actually see him. He rarely paid attention to the boy until after the workday was done, but if he did ask for Harry, she would simply tell him that she sent him to the store. Either way it would give her time; time to think and find out where Harry was or, in the worse case scenario, how to keep Vernon's rage focused anywhere but on her.

She went to the kitchen and started to prepare the meal. She had to work fast, but carefully. It wouldn't do if she ruined any part of it. It had to be perfect or her ruse wouldn't work.


Vernon Dursley's nose twitched; there was an amazing aroma wafting up the stairs and his stomach began to rumble in appreciation. He cracked open one eye and looked at the clock on the bedside table. It read quarter to six and he decided that he would wait just a bit longer to arise. It wouldn't do to make the boy nervous and risk his breakfast being ruined.

He gave a slow stretch and allowed himself to relax, a smirk crossing his face as he thought of all the fun he would have later that night when he took the boy to his apartment in London and initiated him into his new role. He had yet to decide if he would keep the boy there or return him to the cupboard here in Surrey, but that decision could wait. Petunia wouldn't dare object either way. She knew her place and would do as he said or pay the price. He wasn't concerned about Dudley wondering where the boy was if he left him in London; he would simply tell him he had enrolled the boy in a program to rid him of his unnatural ways. His son was a good boy and would believe him without restriction.

He glanced over at the clock and seeing that it was now only five minutes until seven, decided to get up and prepare for the day. The meal was sure to be nearly done and if he wanted it fresh and hot, he'd best get moving.


Petunia set the table and arranged the platters invitingly. She wanted Vernon happy and he loved a well-laid table heaped with delicious food. She glanced at the clock and seeing the time rushed up the stairs to awaken her son, Dudley.

She smiled lovingly down upon her son's blond curls for a moment before reaching down to shake him gently. “Wake up for Mummy, Diddums. Breakfast is on the table awaiting you. You can go back to bed after if you like.”

Dudley made a soft whining noise in protest, but opened his eyes at the mention of food. “Mum?....What we havin'?”

“Full English, love. Your father's favorite. I hope that it is alright with you.”

“Mmm...sounds good, Mum. Do I have to get dressed?” Dudley gave her a pleading look.

“No, my darling Diddums. Not if you do not wish to.” She smiled fondly at him.

“Kay, I'm getting up then. Be down after I brush my teeth and use the toilet.”

Petunia headed back down to the kitchen to await her family's arrival. A short while later, Petunia heard Vernon's heavy footsteps coming down the stairs and tensed. She hoped that he wouldn't notice that the door to the cupboard under the stairs was missing. If he did, all her hard work was for naught. She braced herself for his anger just in case, but forced herself to maintain a facade of serenity. It would be terrible if he noticed her worry and decided to investigate its cause.

“Good morning, Petunia. I see the boy prepared my favorite breakfast today.” Vernon said pleased at the sight that was before him.

Petunia mentally breathed a sigh of relief. “Yes, he did, Vernon. I hope that it meets your standards.”

“It had better or I'll be forced to teach him another lesson.” Vernon glanced around the kitchen and frowned when he didn't see Harry. “Where is the boy?”

“I sent him to the store to pick up supplies for dinner. Did you need him for some reason?” Petunia kept her voice neutral and steady by sheer will alone.

“No, it's quite alright, Petunia. I was just curious, as the kitchen is spotless. Usually, he would still be cleaning at this point.” His brow pulled down slightly as if he was perturbed by the inconsistency.

“The boy didn't clean it, Vernon. I did. I wanted him to get to the butcher and put in my order before the best cuts were gone.” She hoped that he would take her explanation. “I wanted to enjoy breakfast with my family. Isn't it nice for it to be just us for once?”

Just then, Dudley came into the room. A smile spread across his face when he took in the large spread on the table. “Wow! It looks wonderful, Mummy. Good morning, Father. Did you sleep well?”

“Good morning, Dudley. I slept quite well. Thank you.” Vernon beamed at the apple of his eye, his son. “Sit down and let us break our fast. That boy isn't here, so we can enjoy a proper family meal.”

Petunia relaxed with relief as her husband and child dug into the feast before them. She knew that her ruse had worked, at least for now. She would worry about what to do about Harry after Vernon had left for work. Until then, she would enjoy her breakfast.


Fawkes flashed back into the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts. He flew over to the desk and, after leaving the message from Severus, went to and alighted upon his perch. He had an important task to do; the old man needed to stay far from Surrey until Severus and his young charge were safely away. He would have to find a way to prevent the old fool from leaving Hogwarts until that time arrived. When it did, Fawkes had a very important decision to make. He would have to go to his Master's quarters and speak to him. He needed sound advice.

Fawkes' head jerked up when Dumbledore entered the room. He gave a soft, welcoming trill and inclined his head toward the desk. He watched as Dumbledore turned and seeing the letter on the desk immediately walked over and picked it up.

Albus opened the letter in his hand cautiously. He wasn't sure if he could fully trust Severus, who could be stubborn, willful, and far too intuitive. He scanned the parchment wandlessly for any hidden surprises and finding nothing amiss, perused the contents. He frowned with vexation when he read that Severus had not yet seen or spoken to young Harry or his relatives. He did, however, have to concur that Severus was right to wait. Angering those that had custody of the boy would do little to help his cause. He needed the cooperation of the Dursleys, if he wished to ensure that Harry would be attending Hogwarts next year and would be malleable enough to control. It wouldn't do if the boy turned out like his parents and developed a mind of his own. Harry Potter needed to be the perfect sacrificial lamb if his plans were to reach fruition. Nothing and no one could be allowed to get in his way.

“I suppose this means that I will have to once again practice being patient,” he grumbled with irritation. “I will give him one more day, Fawkes. If he hasn't returned by this evening, I will go to Surrey myself.” His mind made up, he decided to go about his day as normal. He would concern himself with what he would do about the situation with Severus and Harry when evening came.

Fawkes breathed a mental sigh of relief. Severus' letter had worked to buy them a little bit of time. He hoped that Severus had a plan in place to get them out of Surrey before evening. There was no way that he could warn them and he would attempt to delay Dumbledore as long as possible, but in the end, the old man would go to Surrey.

Fawkes watched as his 'master' went about his morning routine, waiting for him to leave the office. When he did, Fawkes flashed himself into what used to be the personal quarters of Salazar Slytherin. He went to his Master's study and settled upon the desk.

Master, I wish to speak with you about a decision that I feel I must make.

The man in the portrait above the fireplace adjacent to the desk stirred and said, “Say what you will, my dear friend, I will listen. Why do you seem so troubled, Áed?”

I am not exactly troubled, but a bit hesitant to do what my heart says, Master. I have dedicated my existance to continue protecting the students of Hogwarts, but now my heart says it is time to move on and I am unsure if it is the right thing to do.

“What mean you by move on, Áed?” The man said gently.

I have sensed one with whom I could bond, Master. Fawkes lowered his head, not sure as to how his master would react.

The man, who was once Salazar Slytherin, smiled with quiet joy. “I am glad, old friend. You deserve to be happy and bonded.”

You do not mind, Master? Fawkes' golden eyes widened with startlement and a feeling full of hope burst within his heart.

Salazar gave his former familiar a stern look. “ Áed, you are very loyal and I thank you for that, but I have been gone from your world for over a millenium. It is beyond time for you to move on and discover the joy that comes with having a bonded companion once again.” He smiled sadly. “I will miss you, of course.”

I suppose that there is no reason why I cannot still visit you, even if I bond with another.

“That is true. Perhaps you could bring your new master to speak with me. I would like to meet the person whom your heart seeks.” Salazar smirked, wickedly. “Besides, there are a great many things he will need to be aware of."

You wouldn't dare! Fawkes glared at Salazar menacingly, firey sparks erupting in the air about him.

Salazar's deep, rich laugh boomed across the room at Fawkes' reaction to his teasing. “But, of course, I would, but don't worry, Áed. I won't tell him anything inappropriate for his or her ears.”

You are a terrible, awful nuisance and I will miss you so much. Fawkes flew over to the mantle and rubbed his head gently upon his former master's portrait. Thank you, Salazar. You will always be in my heart.

“And you in mine, dearest Áed. Wind to thy wings and may the rest of your days be bright.”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
For those of you are wondering 'Aed' means it is the Old Gaelic version of the word fire. It is supposed to have a mark above the letter A but I couldn't figure out how to do that. This is the name originally given to Fawkes according to my story. Thanks for reading!

I fixed the Á's in the story. Thanks so much to Lionessmon for helping me out!