Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

False Peace

'It is time to rest' Snape stood and both boys glanced up in surprise when he spoke.

'Dobby thinks he wins' The elf commented to Harry and Draco couldn't help but chuckle at the fact that the house-elf had indeed beaten Harry at a game of Wizarding chess.

'Now' Snape reminded them and watched as Draco replaced his book by the fireplace (why didn't he take it with him; didn't he remember it was his?) and Harry bid goodnight to Dobby while he merely gave him a small but otherwise cautious smile. Snape narrowed his eyes at their retreating backs and turned to question Dobby but the elf had disappeared with a pop!

---

Everyone but Snape slept restfully that night, dreaming of various things that were of no importance the following morning. With an entire day to themselves, Draco and Harry took to following each other around, mostly to be annoying as they bickered and tried to find something to do in the unfamiliar place. Snape had retreated to his study directly after breakfast so they felt less pressured to act as though they were not lost at every turn of the house.

'I'm surprised you're not wearing robes' Harry added to Draco but both boys paused by a window on the fifth floor as the garden was seen plainly from that particular angle. It looked untouched since they had carelessly ruined it and both felt rather guilty as they stared down at it and realized how much damage they had done; although Draco concealed it with greater ease.

Harry stared at the unearthed dirt, flattened and now dried plants that lay around and just generally thought about how it was their fault while he remembered the look on Snape's face when he had seen it and how quiet he had been since. Were they missing some meaning behind it all?

'I'm going to fix it' Harry decided aloud. 'Are you going to help, since you're just as responsible?' He frowned at his enemy.

'I decline' Draco shook his head. 'I've had enough of the filth, thanks. Have fun' He said dismissively.

'Of course' Harry growled. 'You'll always be a huge git, Malfoy' He turned away and marched out of the room while leaving the blonde standing there.

---

Harry examined the work he had to do and noticed something he hadn't from the window although now it was so obvious; there were a few pots and buckets of water in which contained plants etc, as though Snape had made dire efforts to save a majority of his plants and herbs even though it appeared hopeless without the garden to contain and nourish them.

Sighing, Harry bent on his knees and started discarding the truly dead plants and resorted the soil. He paused when a shadow fell over him and turned quickly to see Draco standing there with a hesitant frown that marked his features.

'I was...bored' Draco shrugged but Harry didn't state his lie and simply nodded, smiling lightly at the fact that he had decided to help after all. He gave Draco some instructions and than they set to work on fixing the garden, determined to save at least a part of it and whatever it had meant to Snape.

'How about we form a “no attacking” truce?' Harry offered while they worked. 'Because all this fighting isn't really helping and soon Snape will get suspicious. If we hate each other this much, can't we at least save it until we're out of here?'

Draco was silent for a moment and than sighed. 'Fine, you may actually have a point' He muttered as though he was reluctant to admit so.

---

It had been barely after lunch when the boys had started and it wasn't for another three hours until they decided their task was complete. It seemed that the garden would never be the same as it had been, but at least it wasn't as bad now. Satisfied and silently agreeing not to say anything to each other, Draco and Harry headed inside for showers and a clean change of clothes.


Snape wandered by the kitchen to see Dobby reading cookbooks curiously. He shook his head in amusement since he believed Harry was making that elf more human every day. He walked towards the living room and it was then that he saw the boys for the first time since lunch. They had just entered the living room and collapsed into separate armchairs. Snape suspiciously wondered what they had been doing all day, but the house was still standing; surely he could ignore it for now.

'Harry?' He asked and the boy glanced over at him curiously. 'Do you still wish to continue through with your thirteenth birthday party a week from this day?' Snape wondered and was concerned when Harry looked shocked by his words.

'Oh, yes!' Harry grinned, the idea of having a birthday party was enthralling since he hadn't ever had one in the past. He was surprised at first but quickly recovered.

'I require a guest list' Snape added.

'Oh um...' Harry thought for a moment; who could he invite? 'I want to invite Ron and Hermione, if that's okay' He said, hoping they were his friends in this world too.

Snape didn't bother conceal his surprise at this while Draco merely looked bored. 'Are you sure?' He questioned. 'If I am not mistaken, you have not spoken to them in weeks. I wasn't aware that each of you were on talking terms again'.

Harry, with no other response to give, merely shrugged. Snape sighed and took notes while turning to Draco. 'And what of Luna? Should I include her, seeing as you're all close friends?'.

Who?” Draco mouthed to Harry but he merely shook his head in confusion, glad Snape wasn't looking at them but instead remained focused on his parchment, until he received no answer from Draco and Harry stepped in.

'Um, sure...invite her' Harry nodded. 'And anyone else, I really don't mind much' He smiled, making Snape raise an eyebrow as it had been the first real grin the boy had directed his way since that odd day. 'Oh but what about Hagrid? I'd like him to be there, if he's not busy I mean...'

'I shall include Hagrid as a guest' Snape nodded and turned to leave the room, deciding to face the arrangements now since it was only a mere week away and he had the spare time.

'Seriously?' Draco cast a lopsided look at Harry. 'A birthday party? No thanks' He complained with a roll of his eyes to accompany his tone.

'We have to play along with whatever is happening' Harry insisted. 'I suppose this is normal here so just get used to it'.

'Whatever, but we're not staying...remember?' Draco sighed.

'Yeah...I know' Harry nodded, wondering why that suddenly didn't seem like such a wonderful goal anymore. Perhaps it was because here he had his own room, as much food as he liked, real clothes and a birthday party? Hm, he could only wonder. But Draco was right...they couldn't stay.

---

Snape sighed and read over the plans again while wandering through the house. He paused near the library and pocketed his parchment while pinching the bridge of his nose. He turned and glanced out the window but stepped closer in disbelief. He saw that his nice rows of dirt in his garden were once again straight, the buckets were gone because the saved herbs and plants had been placed back into the ground and properly watered; that and there were no dead plants or mess shewn about.

He had not done that; Snape was well aware of such a fact and knew how his garden went from ruined to renewed in a few hours. As he stood there and looked over at the nicely done garden, he smiled an actual happy smile and vowed to thank his sons later because only they would have done this for him while surely knowing how much it meant to him that they had.


'Do you think we need to go to the room of requirement in this world to get back?' Harry mused as he and Draco made their way downstairs for dinner. 'Since that's where it happened'.

'I don't know, but I doubt it' Draco sighed. 'But we didn't arrive there so I don't think the rooms are the connection here'.

'Well what is? I mean, what if we can't get back?' Harry's eyed widened at that thought, not wanting to even consider it but they were seriously running out of options and theories.

Draco cast him a glare for even mentioning it although he remained silent. They entered the dining room where Snape was placing plates on the table and Dobby hovered the gravy over along with fresh garlic bread.

The boys sat down in their usual seats across from each other with Snape towards their side and started placing things on their plates. They had both noticed the more content and almost-smiling look upon Snape's face so were both quite nervous and decided to remain utterly silent; not that they usually said much during meals anyhow.

'What have you boys been occupying your time with today?' Snape inquired casually after a few minutes into the meal. Draco had to gulp down his chicken in surprise while Harry glanced up to stare at the man for a brief moment. He had previously been distant and to have him suddenly talkative was unnerving, adding to the unfamiliar look on his face.

'Nothing much, really' Draco shrugged his shoulders, always faster to recover than Harry was.

'I see' Snape's eyes lowered to his plate for a moment. 'I came across something rather odd this evening' He said slowly and glanced up to see their mildly alarmed expressions in which they poorly tried to conceal. He continued to watch them until they had all finished eating but spoke before the boys could move to leave the dinner table.

'It came across my attention this evening that my garden is no longer demolished' He hinted and while Draco avoided his gaze with only a mildly interested expression, Harry ducked his head and blushed.

'Thank you' Snape added and they looked up at him with mingled surprise and pride. 'I know each of you are aware of the importance of the garden and the hurt you caused me when it was ruined. So again, I thank you for repairing it and you are each forgiven' He nodded.

'Um, thanks' Harry inclined his head and felt as though he should say something while Draco merely nodded shortly. 'I mean, you're welcome' He rephrased and sighed. 'We are sorry for ruining it, sir'.

Snape noticed the “sir” mentioning again but chose to ignore it. 'I understand that' He nodded and offered them a forgiving smile, wondering why they seemed so shocked by it, but assumed they had been feeling so guilty that they felt undeserving of the gratitude? It had happened in the past.

With the abrupt silence spreading once again, the boys stood and left the table, heading upstairs to their rooms for showers and than bed, not feeling like doing much else and were tired from their relatively busy yet still uneventful day. It was as though this world was draining them more than the normal one would, but neither thought upon it by the time they rested their heads and dozed into sleep.

Chapter End Notes:
Please review! Am nearly up to writing chapter 10 so updates will be rather quick but I'll leave a few days to await reviews and opinions.
-Mel :)