Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Printer The print whole story view may not work for longer stories.
[Reviews - 244] starstarstarstarstar
Summary: Harry runs into Snape while trying to find the definition of home, and finds himself drawn into Snape's summer Order task by the headmaster, looking for a location outside of London. Along the way, he and Snape learn a few new definitions themselves. This story is part of the series, Redefining Life. The next story in the series is The Definition of Family.

Takes Place: 6th summer Chapters: 14
Snape flavour: None Completed: Yes
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Genres: Action/Adventure, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Tags: Adoption, Deaging, Snape-meets-Dursleys Word count: 76618
Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, Other, Petunia, Ron, Vernon Read: 167218
Rated: T
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity
Series: Redefining Life
Challenges: None
Published: 08 Apr 2010 - Updated: 24 May 2010
Awards: Past Featured Story
Story Notes:
This story is going to be updated about once or twice a week, as it takes me a while to make final edits.  There will be one (and only one) instance of spanking, but that will be in a later chapter and can be easily skimmed over. Abuse by the Dursleys will be spoken of a little bit, but not in much detail and it is canon to the books, nothing extra.  Takes place just after the Department of Mysteries disaster. The substance abuse tag is there for just a one time offense, and the de-aging is done only as a disguise. I feel the need to explain those, because I don't want to turn people off the story. Hope you like it!
Table of Contents

1. Chapter 1 - A Sip in the Park by oliversnape [Reviews - 6] starstarstarstarstar (4791 words) Printer

2. Chapter 2 - Good Morning, Hell. by oliversnape [Reviews - 4] starstarstarstarstar (6031 words) Printer

Wow, what a great welcome! Thank you! The Spinner's End I'm working with is based off the movie. I have a floor plan, for those who are curious. Spinner's End.

3. Chapter 3 - Pins and Needles by oliversnape [Reviews - 7] starstarstarstarstar (4416 words) Printer

Thanks to everyone! Harry might come off a bit weird in this chapter, but I justify it by him being almost sixteen, trying to be a man, and trying to take his place in a world where he never had a real childhood.

4. Chapter 4 - Liar, Liar by oliversnape [Reviews - 16] starstarstarstarstar (6425 words) Printer

Harry's speech is not spelling errors, they're for pronounciation. And Dumbledore's task will start next chapter, don't worry. :)

5. Chapter 5 - Across the Pond. by oliversnape [Reviews - 9] starstarstarstarstar (5794 words) Printer

I am really tired and there's probably mistakes. I will edit them when I'm more awake, please excuse. :)

6. Chapter 6 - Connections and Progress by oliversnape [Reviews - 17] starstarstarstarstar (4752 words) Printer

Jeroen is pronounced Yer-une for those curious. Well, almost like that.

7. Chapter 7 - A Toast and Toss of Coin by oliversnape [Reviews - 16] starstarstarstarstar (4084 words) Printer

There is an author's note at the bottom, didn't want to give the chapter away. :)

8. Chapter 8 - The Value of A Boy by oliversnape [Reviews - 26] starstarstarstarstar (5403 words) Printer

This may seem an out of character chapter, but it was something that needed to happen. The sarcasm will be back next chapter, and later you will also find out exactly what happened between Vernon and Snape.

ALSO. This is the chapter with spanking in it. But if you blink, you might actually miss the whole three sentences it takes place in. No, really - just three sentences. :)

9. Chapter 9 - The Basilisks and Billywigs by oliversnape [Reviews - 19] starstarstarstarstar (5690 words) Printer

There are probably typing mistakes in here, my apologies, I'm extremely tired. Edited: I think I got most of them, so sorry for that. Typing on an iPod makes for some interesting letter combinations, let me tell you. I'm still trying to convince it that 'the' does indeed need the 't'.

10. Chapter 10 - You'll be the Death of Me by oliversnape [Reviews - 18] starstarstarstarstar (6006 words) Printer

Long days at work ahead, the updates will be a bit slower.

11. Chapter 11 - The Stalemate's Offer by oliversnape [Reviews - 22] starstarstarstarstar (5477 words) Printer

For anyone who does not know the game of cribbage and is confused by the bit mentioned here, there is a great article on Wikipedia called 'Cribbage Rules.' Explains things very clearly, with pictures. :)

12. Chapter 12 - Under Suspicious Watch by oliversnape [Reviews - 12] starstarstarstarstar (6007 words) Printer

Thank you to everyone for the awesome reviews, for stoking my ego, and for the motivation. I'm glad you're enjoying the story. Someone asked how long it was going to be, and the answer is that this part will go until school starts. I'm 94% positive there will be a sequel. Also, we'll pretend that Incognico existed in 1996. I have no idea if it did. :)

13. Chapter 13 - Questions and Results by oliversnape [Reviews - 20] starstarstarstarstar (4899 words) Printer

14. Chapter 14 - A Boy Called Elliot by oliversnape [Reviews - 50] starstarstarstarstar (6843 words) Printer

This is the end of part one. Part two will start in about two or three weeks, after I take a bit of a break. It will detail the school year and dealing with Voldemort. Thanks to everyone for reading, you all rock! BTW, Harry's awesome wallpaper is pictured here. http://i50.tinypic.com/bgqjah.jpg

The End.
oliversnape is the author of 7 other stories. This story is part of the series, Redefining Life. The next story in the series is The Definition of Family.
This story is a favorite of 169 members. Members who liked The Definition of Home also liked 1760 other stories.

Disclaimer Charm: Harry Potter and all related works including movie stills belong to J.K. Rowling, Scholastic, Warner Bros, and Bloomsbury. Used without permission. No copyright infringement is intended. No money is being made off of this site. All fanfiction and fanart are the property of the individual writers and artists represented on this site and do not represent the views and opinions of the Webmistress.

Powered by eFiction 3.5