Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

A Truth Revealed

Despite how restless he had been and the little amount of sleep he had endured in the past day or so, Harry awoke during the early hours; the sun was yet to rise although he could see clearly enough with the morning light that entered his room. He just lay there and fought back tears while he tried to control the horrible feelings inside his stomach that had nothing to do with hungry nor thirst. It had finally caught up to him.

At the time, Harry had just wanted to flee the orphanage and find out about the man that was his father. And now that he was faced without the stress of the situation, he was able to come into terms with where he truly was. Harry could not keep the betrayal at bay.

The man was his father and had surely loved his mother if they'd had a child together. Yet something had happened and his mother was gone, but why had Severus no longer wanted his son? He had mentioned something about Harry having no magic and how he had wanted better for him or something along those lines. Wasn't a father supposed to love their child no matter what? The man didn't look like he had a lot of money, but surely it wasn't so terrible that he would send his only child away for a “better life” so quickly?

Harry was hurt emotionally as he realized more honestly now that his father did not want him, he didn't love him as Harry had hoped he would and the man still didn't seem to want him around at all. He had let Harry stay a week, and than Severus probably couldn't wait to get rid of him again.

'You're awake.' Harry's eyes jerked towards the doorway and saw Severus himself standing there in his usual blackness. Harry swallowed and looked away with shame as his betrayal continued to linger.

'Are you ill?' Severus stepped into the room. He appeared to be more curious than concerned although Harry didn't know that Severus was fighting to keep the entire situation casual and distance himself from any parental feelings that tried to reemerge.

'No.' Harry answered but his voice came out a little croaked from the sobs. He forced his gaze further away from the man as frowned at the wall across from him instead. 'Leave me alone.'

'What has put you in this state?' Severus asked. 'If you wish to leave, I shall return you to the orphanage directly after breakfast.' He offered.

'See?' Harry let his pain show and turned to glare his father. 'You can't wait to get rid of me!' He was angry although it melted into sadness again and the tears increased.

'I'm your son! Is there a part of you that loves me at all? Or am I just an-an inconvenience or-or do you just hate me? Did I do something to-to make you not want me? Did you only like me because m-mum did?' His voice trembled and he bunched the blankets closer to his chin as he curled underneath them and shoved his face deeper into his pillow. He felt a pressure on the mattress but tried to ignore it.

Severus exhaled when his son's voice broke. He entered the room and sat on the edge of the bed. The boy appeared to be hiding himself and refused to face him again as his small form shook with sobs.

'I am going to tell you a story.' Severus said in an even tone; the same one he barely recalled using when he read silly children stories to Harry when the boy had been a toddler or when he'd made up a tale because he was too tired to summon a book.

'But first you are going to cease your display of emotion and get dressed. We will eat breakfast and afterwards you can see what remains of your mother. Only then will I explain everything.'

This seemed to work as Harry's tear-streaked face emerged from the pillow. 'Everything?'

'That you need to know, yes.' Severus nodded.

'Now, enough. Get up. I will meet you downstairs in ten minutes.' He stood and left the room but paused outside in the hallway where Harry could not see him as he gripped the wall and ducked his head. Severus struggled with everything that tore through the barriers inside him, triggered by the thought of Lily and from seeing the look upon Harry's face. He heard the boy moving through the cluttered room and composed himself as he descended the stairs and went about preparing a filling breakfast for himself and...his son.

--

Harry rubbed his eyes and headed into the bathroom to clean himself up and blow his nose. He dressed in a black shirt, dark blue pants and a light blue jacket in which he zipped up halfway and pulled the hood about his face; he felt a little bit safer to be half-concealed from the world. He pulled on white socks and his worn shoes before he slowly made his way downstairs.

Harry did not allow himself a moment to think straight as he moved to sit at the table across from his father. Harry ate his cereal without bothering to look up at the man so he wasn't aware that Severus spent the entire meal staring at him.

--

Once he was finished his cereal, jam toast and milk, Harry placed his plate and bowl etc in the kitchen and glanced at his father expectantly; he remembered that they would be going to see his mother's grave now.

'I'm ready.' Harry announced when the man made no move to leave the house.

'I doubt you will be prepared for this event.' Severus said with a hint of sympathy. He stared at the boy and clenched his jaw. He stepped closer and grasped at the hood to pull it down to Harry's shoulders so that he could see the boy more clearly.

'What?' Harry asked and was curious as to why his father just stared at him. 'Do I look like mum?' He wondered. 'Is that why you can't be around me?'

'No.' Severus answered and examined at the boy's eyes that matched his own in colour but held Lily's softness; he saw the evenly toned skin that was somewhere between his and Lily's shades...and he noticed that everything else was from himself. There was almost no trace of his beloved flower in the boy at all that he could see.

Turning, Severus left the house and Harry followed close behind as the boy tried to brush off the odd way his father had just stared at him. Severus had made sure the boy had left his bag behind as it would look rather out of place if he brought it along. He walked down an alley in silence until they reached the spot and he turned towards the nervous boy.

'Take my arm.' He instructed and held out his arm for the child to hold.

'Why?' Harry asked suspiciously. 'We're not crossing a busy road. I don't need to hold your hand. Besides, I'm ten not five.'

Annoyed, Severus reached out and ignored the boy's flinch as he grasped his hand and spun on the spot, apparating them to a different section of London.

'What...happ-' Harry went to say but his stomach fought against him and he vomited against the ground, pale and out of breath.

Perhaps he should have warned the boy.

They were in an empty alley so Severus spelled the vomit away as well as any mess left behind, much to the bewilderment of Harry. He offered the boy a vial of anti-nausea but Harry refused it without the shine of trust he'd once had.

'Suit yourself.' Severus place the vial back into his pocket and turned towards the street. 'I have numerous errands to conduct and people to whom require visiting, only after the order of business will you get to see...' He trailed off and crossed a street, which was busier than any of the others Harry had seen in the past few days. And despite the boy's insisting previously that he was not five, Severus did grip his hand when they crossed a road and pulled Harry along to make sure he didn't get run over.

'So it's true?' Harry swallowed. 'You're-we're a w-wizard?'He looked up at his father in surprise and awe. 'That's cool.'

Severus said nothing and released the boy's hand with a threat to remain close while he entered a muggle store.

'Ah! There you are Mr Snape.' A balding man grinned at him and returned behind the counter to collect a stack of papers and wrapped items.

'I will pay in full.' Severus answered with a frown. Harry fell into step behind him and looked around at the store. He saw many antiques and various items of interest; like old plane models, faded fabrics, a large crate of toys in good condition but with faded paint and most were made of wood. There was also an entire section devoted to books and another to musical instruments. Harry could not picture his father playing a violin so he figured he was seeking books or something similar.

'We are leaving.' Severus said and Harry rushed back to his side to keep up. He noticed that his father put something in his pocket but surely the packages had been too large to fit?

Without waiting to be told, Harry reached over and grabbed his arm, feeling the uncomfortable sensation of magically traveling once again. He didn't sick up this time although he was sorely tempted to.

--

The next place was the home of an elderly lady in which Severus refused to be invited inside by and only stood by the doorway to question her about several objects. Harry had trouble making out what they were specifically talking about with a dog barking down the end of the street and the lady's constant comments about him being so cute and grown-up.

It wasn't until they were leaving that Harry realized that the woman had known him when he had been a baby. He turned to get a better view of her but the door to her home was shut and his father's arm was raised again as he waited for Harry to take a hold of it.


Three more house-calls and two more stores later and Harry was getting used to the magical transportation although he couldn't understand why his father had to do this today, why not tomorrow? Surely his mother's grave was far more important? Or...was Severus purposefully trying to delay that?

Harry barely glanced at the red-brick department store ahead that was closed for refurbishment in which was their next destination, as he realized that they had both lost her and they had both loved her. With so many things in common, Harry still couldn't comprehend how there could be such a complicated reason for his father abandoning him.

Harry glanced up and frowned as his father spoke with an object through the window and then grasped his hand to pull him through it. Harry yelped as he was sure they would collide with the solid window; instead they moved through it and he found himself inside a lobby.

'This is our last stop.' Severus said as he moved towards the right and Harry followed as they walked up several floors. He stared around at people as they emerged from green flames in fireplaces and others rushed about in odd clothes. He swallowed and hurried to keep up with his father even though the man wasn't going very fast.

They reached the fourth floor soon enough; Harry had seen a sign previously that had indicated this floor to be for spell damage. He now knew that this was a magical hospital.

'Ah, Severus!' A brown-haired man approached them with a sympathetic smile. This was the first person today who addressed him by his first name rather than “Mr Snape”.

'Oh, and who is this?' The man looked down at Harry. His eyes seemed oddly surprised, as though he already knew who he was just by looking at him and he was the last person he had expected to meet. Did Harry really look that much like his father?

'Morning, Jensen.' Severus said with a sigh. 'This is my son, Harry.' He said and the man stared between them in shock and with strong interest.

'Harry, this is Healer Jensen Carter.' Severus said out of respect.

'Hello sir.' Harry returned politely but shyly. He inched closer to his father because he wasn't quite as unpredictable as the strange man in front of him who stared at him as though he was an exciting experiment.

'We're only visiting a short while.' Severus told Jensen and moved past the healer to continue towards a private ward near the end. 'Come along, boy!' He snapped and Harry rushed after him.

'I shall be in soon.' Jensen sighed and glanced down at the clipboard in his hand. He appeared troubled when they walked away but was still momentarily surprised as he spoke softly to himself.

'Well, their son...I'll be damned.' The healer smiled a little.

--

Harry looked around at the ward his father had entered and spotted several beds fitted into a large space, each with their curtains drawn. Most were silent but light chatter was taking place behind a nearby bed; he heard an aging woman and young boy speaking to someone although there was never a reply.

Severus glanced at his son and allowed him to remain curious for a moment before he placed a hand on the boy's shoulder to lead him towards the far end of the room. He wished to get this visit over with and fulfill the boy's request so that they could head back home. He frowned at those troubling thoughts and shifted the curtains aside.

Harry moved to sit on a nearby chair while his father approached the sleeping patient and stared at his knees. He wondered what spell had hurt the pretty woman and if she was going to get better.

'Harry?' His father's voice called over to him a moment later and he rose to leave but found that he was being called towards the bed instead of the doorway.

'What?' Harry asked and ignored how rude he sounded, despite the obedience he showed as he turned towards the woman as instructed.

'I would like to formally introduce you to my fiancé...your mother, Lily.' Severus said and Harry couldn't conceal his gasp. The boy moved closer to the bed and stared at the woman with red hair and a slightly pale face but flushed cheeks; she was beautiful and alive...his mother.

'But you said...' He turned to his father.

'Not once did I state that she was dead.' Severus replied. 'However, she may as well be.'

'How can you say that?' Harry scowled at him and the betrayal swelled inside him once again, more strongly than he had previously. But with his mother right there, it mingled with many other emotions he was too young to fully sort through and understand with any level of ease.

'She's just sick, right? They'll use magic and she'll get better!' Harry grinned, renewed with the prospect of having a mother; he was so sure that Lily would want him and that she of all people did love him.

'I shall explain as promised. Later.' Severus said and appeared to be quite troubled as he stared at his beloved beauty.

'Severus?' Jensen approached. 'May I have a word?'

'Has there been a change?' Severus asked. It sounded like a question that had been voiced too many times with no promising answers; it lacked the sense of hope.

'No.' Jensen sighed and indicated that they should speak away from the boy.

'You may stay.' Severus told Harry. 'Remain here until I return.'

'Will it help if-if I talk to her?' Harry's whispered voice caused Severus to pause near the edge of the curtains. 'I heard that if someone was in a coma they might hear you and wake up.'

'She isn't in a coma.' Severus said. 'Her mind is lost.' He added mournfully. 'However, you may speak to her.' Severus sighed as he turned away and left Harry with his mother.

'Um, hi.' Harry shifted to stand closer to her face as he examined her motherly beauty. He overheard Jensen saying how she would open her eyes sometimes although she still can't make sense of anything around her. He shoved their words aside and focused only on his mother because he refused to believe that she wasn't merely sleeping.

'It's Harry, your son. I know it's been a while but-I...' He wasn't sure what to say so Harry simply reached out to hold her hand within his own. He jumped when her eyes flew open in reaction to his touch but she couldn't seem to find him, as though everything around her was a mingled blur of colours and shapes she had never seen before. He saw the lovely colour of emerald and felt rather sad with how empty they appeared.

'Dad said he'll tell me what happened later, so I don't really know what's going on yet.' Harry attempted to continue speaking to his mother. It hurt to realize that she probably didn't even realize who he was.

'Um, it's weird getting to know him, since I haven't been with him and I can only stay for a bit.' His hand felt rather warm inside her larger ones and the temperature increased so he hoped that he wasn't doing anything wrong. Sick people often got bad fevers and such, didn't they?

Harry then smiled as her gaze drifted across the bed and the room until it fell over him. It made him feel as though she could see him even if she wasn't making sense of who he was.

'Ah, anyway...I apparently look a lot like him, although maybe he would love me more if I looked like you.' Harry trailed off. He was unaware that Severus was finished talking with Jensen and now stood on the outer side of the curtains where he sadly listened to his son's softly spoken words.

'I don't know much about you. I stayed with your sister Petunia and her family for a while until I was seven. They weren't very nice to me though. I guess I should be happy that they sent me to the orphanage, even if it meant that no one wanted me again.' Harry continued.

'I tried to impress the families that came looking to adopt someone and that wanted to meet me. But I don't like being around people and I can't help feeling suspicious of them when they smile too much.' He sighed.

'Okay, I think you'll want to hear something more happy so...um.' Harry sniffed and smiled lightly. 'I don't really have a lot of happy things to say, really. I wish I did but I don't. I can only say that I felt happy when I found out where dad lived. But I don't think he loves me.' He admitted his saddened thoughts aloud.

The hand of hers in which he was still holding almost burned his skin but Harry refused to pull away from his mother's touch. Her eyes remained loosely focused upon on him until the next time Harry glanced up and noticed the sad expression that spread across her face.

'Can you understand me?' He asked and Severus peaked around the curtain the moment he had overheard those words.

'Harry.' Lily whispered. Her voice sounded unused and tired.

'Mum?' Harry's face lit up. 'You can see me? I mean, you know who I am?'

'You've grown...into a handsome boy. Just like your...father.' Lily's eyes began to close again but her other hand moved to touch his face. Harry helped by moving his free hand to grip it and placed it against his cheek. He ignored his father and Jensen as they rushed into the area around him.

'Harry!' Jensen was saying but Harry mind became foggy, which caused all sounds to blur together.

'Let go! You have to let go of her!'

He couldn't, not until he felt himself falling away from the bed, from his mother's touch and even from reality. Severus had remained motionless and shocked until he saw his son fall as though in slow-motion. He rushed forward and grabbed the boy and prevented him from hitting the floor.

'What...?' Harry peered through partially closed eyelids and felt entirely drained of energy as he stared up at his father.

'This is why we thought he's lost his magic as a toddler, Severus!' Jensen was saying but Harry still couldn't make sense of what he was being said. His father wasn't even looking at him as he stood with Harry lying in his arms and all his attention remained on Lily.

'He was giving his magic to his mother!' Jensen gasped with realization. 'Harry was trying to heal her.'

'What does this mean? Is there a change?' Severus asked in shock and with an ignited sense of hope.

'Little, but she certainly recognized her son for a brief moment.' Jensen said with an amazed smile. 'Maybe if we could...?'

'No. I will not allow you to experiment at the expense of my son. I am taking him home. We will discuss this further at another time. Keep me informed.' And Severus turned, still cradling in his arms as he left.

Harry opened his eyes again and despite the wave of tiredness that swept through every inch of his body along with the confusion that swam through his head, Harry was able to clearly see another boy moving from inside the curtains where he had heard voices previously.

'Neville!' A woman hissed and the boy moved back inside the area but not without first locking eyes with Harry.

And for a moment, each boy felt the same as the other; they experienced the identical hope and longing for a parent to recover from their fractured mind and remember their son.

Chapter End Notes:
I have really been looking forward to hearing everyone thoughts on this chapter, which is one of my favourite. So please review!