Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

This is the first of several (I'm not sure how many, exactly) one-shots, companion to a longer piece on FFnet (see profile). The whole piece deals more with the relationship between Harry and Albus than Harry and Severus, which is why I'm not posting it here, but the Harry-Severus relationship is an interesting story that deserves some emphasis, hence why I'm doing it seperately as well. The next one will probably be after the start of term, timeline-wise.

Two Plus Two

A scream.

“Severus!”

Silence. A long pause while I attempt to catch my breath. Then pandemonium breaks out.

Someone rushes over to me and turns me over. At the same time, another person is running and I hear, for the first time in what feels like forever, Albus’ voice as he yells, “Stun him!”

That must be the imposter.

I try opening my eyes.

Everything is fuzzy. The figure resting my shoulders on their knees is redheaded. “He’s in a bad way, Albus.” It’s the Weasley woman.

“Severus? Severus, speak to me.” Albus kneels next to me and lays a gentle hand on my shoulder. I groan, trying to stay conscious, and he yells for someone to Firecall Poppy. Then I black out.

~*@*~

As if I haven’t spent enough time with a needle in my arm, now Poppy sticks one in me as well. It’s not fair. I don’t have the energy to protest.

“Albus?” I croak.

A hand takes hold of mine. “I’m here, Severus.”

I close my eyes again in relief. I’m safe. Albus always has that feeling about him – maybe it’s just me, but others seem to sense it as well. He can make anyone feel secure. Especially me.

Silence falls for a while, until I hear the door open and there’s a pause before a voice – I think it’s Lupin – speaks.

“Albus, do you want to interrogate the imposter?”

“Is he still Stunned?”

“Yes.”

“Then no, I’ll wait – I’m needed here.”

“I could stay here with him,” a voice pipes up.

I know that voice …

Albus sounds surprised as well. “Are you sure, Harry?”

I can just see the shrug. “Yeah, I’ll stay, I might as well … Since he means so much to you,” he adds in a quieter voice.

Potter, volunteering to babysit me? This I have to see.

I crack open an eye, but Potter is out of my range.

“Well …” Albus seems to deliberate. “All right. I’ll be back soon.” He squeezes my hand in reassurance and plants a small kiss on my forehead. “Get some rest, my boy.”

I feel like a baby. I don’t want him to leave me. My fingers grasp at empty air as he lets go of my hand and walks to the door. Not that I’m afraid of Potter, but having been at the Dark Lord’s mercy for Merlin knows how long, I would rather have someone other than him with me until I know where I am and what’s going on and feel more comfortable with my surroundings – whatever they may be.

I decide to ask. “Where am I?”

Potter answers. “Order Headquarters.”

“And … where are they?”

I open my eyes again and try to sit up. I’m on some kind of sofa and it’s not very comfortable. After failing to sit, I manoeuvre my shoulders somewhat so at least I’m supported on a cushion. Just that action has drained me of energy. I can see Potter now though, but his face is turned away from me and in shadow.

“It’s Sirius’ parents’ old house.” There’s a note of sadness in that sentence, but before I can think how to inquire further, Potter continues bitterly, “You’ll be pleased to hear he’s dead, by the way.”

I blink. “When did that happen?”

Potter bows his head. “Few weeks ago.”

“Oh.” Some part of my brain tells me I should say something else. Goodness knows I never liked Black – or Potter, for that matter – but he was the boy’s only proper family, assuming Albus’ rants about the Dursleys were founded in something more than paranoia.

But the words “I’m sorry” would be both badly received and technically untrue. Sort of.

“What’s the date?” I ask instead, changing the subject.

Potter shrugs again. “No idea.”

“You must have a better idea than I do. Is it summer still? Winter? It must be a holiday or you would be at school.”

“It’s summer … 1996.”

I groan. I’ve missed a whole year.

“So, how long has the imposter been in your place?” Potter asks.

I close my eyes again. “A long time. Since I left Hogwarts to resume my old position. The last time I saw you was in the Hospital Wing after the Third Task.”

“Oh.” Potter pauses. “That’s a relief.”

“What do you mean?”

“I … um … Well, I was supposed to have Occlumency lessons with you last year, but … well … they didn’t work so well,” Potter says awkwardly. “It’s a relief that it wasn’t you teaching me ‘cause that means the reason I failed was probably because whoever took your place was deliberately trying to open my mind further after all – Guess Ron had a point …”

I stare at him. What he’s saying is so important but the way he speaks is so detached, as if he doesn’t even care.

“May I ask a question?” He just shrugs again. “Why did you volunteer to stay here?”

For the first time he turns towards me to meet my eyes – at least, I think that’s what he’s doing, but the room is so bloody dark I can’t see his face properly. “Well …” he says slowly. “I guess I’ve had a lot of time to think the last couple of weeks. I figured that D … that Professor Dumbledore, while he trusts easily, doesn’t usually without good reason, and considering how much you seem to mean to him – there must be something good about you that I’m just missing.”

How much I seem to mean to him? I wasn’t aware Albus made it obvious. But I suppose he has been a little more protective of me since he lost his son … but that was sixteen years ago. Why would Potter suddenly notice now?

“How very mature of you. Makes a change.”

He doesn’t take the bait. This is surreal.

“I guess we’ve got to learn to get along somewhat anyway.”

“Not necessarily,” I can’t help but point out. “Now – Riddle – is aware that I am a traitor, I don’t think I can play a very big part in this war.” That name was difficult to spit out. Potter actually chuckles. “I wasn’t talking about the war.”

~*@*~ 

“Severus? Are you awake?”

I crack open one eye. It’s Albus. He smiles and sits down on the end of the bed. “How are you feeling?”

“Like I’ve been kept prisoner for a year by a Dark wizard,” I reply.

Albus’ smile fades and he sighs. “How did he find out you were a spy?”

“He didn’t.” Albus looks confused, and I try sitting up again. It’s easier now. “He found out about my … lineage.”

Ah.” Albus sighed again. “And?”

“What do you think he wanted? My power. I refused, he decided to lock me up until I changed my mind.”

“Voldemort is usually subtler than that.”

“He was. He used ‘by my right hand’ as code for stripping me of my life force. Albus, what is the deal with Potter?”

Albus blinks at the abrupt change of subject. “Sorry?”

“He’s being nice to me.” I grind out the word in frustration.

For some reason best known to himself, an enigmatic smile breaks across Albus’ face. I haven’t seen his eyes twinkle quite this much for years. “You may blame me for that.”

“Why?” I ask suspiciously.

“We had a conversation about you a few days ago. I think I managed to persuade him that there is more to you than meets the eye.”

I frown. “Haven’t you been trying to do that for around five years? Why’s he getting the message now?”

“Let’s just say he has more motivation for trying to get on with you.” Albus stands, and draws something from inside his pocket. Some kind of fabric. He hands it to me wordlessly.

It’s a baby blanket, soft blue. I trace the first letter of an embroidered name. Wait – I remember this – It can’t be …

“Where did you find it?” I whisper.

Albus smiles widely this time. “Where do you think? Harry had it.”

“As in – Potter?” My eyes widen as he nods, and the meaning impacts. “But – that means – he’s your son!”

Albus nods again, this time pain filling his eyes. “I should have known – I never – thought – suspected -”

“Albus, it’s a common name. There are hundreds of young wizards his age -”

“I should have known, though.” Albus shook his head. “Known he wasn’t dead, like the Ministry said -”

“Albus.” I grasp his hand firmly. “You had no way of knowing.”

He smiles again, but the pain doesn’t leave. “Thank you, my boy.” He squeezes my hand back. Silence falls. He looks deep in thought.

This is unbelievable. Potter is actually Albus’ boy? I remember babysitting little Harrison; I remember the way Albus used to call us his ‘two little boys’. I vividly remember the day the Aurors came to take him away, Stupefying me in the process. I couldn’t believe that sweet child had – had gone.

That sweet child – grew up to be Harry Potter?

Goodness, the irony. If Riddle found out who his worst enemy really was, I would pay good money to be back in his circle purely for witnessing the expression on his face.

“So, he’s … like me,” I say finally, breaking the silence.

“Yes.” Albus pauses. “Your baby brother.”

“Half,” I correct automatically. “If you’re talking biologically,” I add at the expression on Albus’ face.

“I wasn’t talking biologically.” Albus smiles, and this time the pain seems to have gone, the twinkle back. “Harry knows now how close we are, and he wants to be part of a family. That’s why he’s trying to get along with you.” He gives me one of his teacher-looks over the top of his glasses. “So play nice, Severus.”

~*@*~

It’s evening, the sun almost gone. It’s cold out here on the doorstep. I shiver and pull my cloak further around me.

The back door opens. “Can I join you?”

“If you wish.”

Harry sits down beside me, and begins staring at the stars as well. I take the chance to look at him properly. Even in the poor light, I can clearly see the changes in the boy. He is looking more and more like his father every day. I wonder how much Albus has actually told the boy.

“What are you doing out here?” Harry asks quietly.

“Just getting a little fresh air. It’s been somewhat thin on the ground to me lately.” I sigh. “I still can’t believe it was a whole year.”

“If it’s any consolation, your imposter gave me hell.”

I have to admire his sense of humour. “I wouldn’t expect anything less from a Death Eater playing the role of me. You will be pleased to hear I won’t be keeping up Avery’s standards.”

“Oh, good.” Harry pauses. “You’re going to start teaching again?”

“Not straight away. But, after a while. Once I have adjusted. And you will see a change in my teaching methods.”

“Oh?”

“Well, now I am no longer spying for the Order, I no longer have to play the part. Potions is going to be very different, mark my words.”

“I guess I should be pleased, considering you can’t make it worse than it was before. Mind you, I might not even be taking the class.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m pretty sure I didn’t get an Outstanding in my OWL.”

“Well, I don’t know what Avery has been telling you, but I will take students who got an E or above in my NEWT class – although I keep a close eye on the E students.”

Harry grins. “Great. Suddenly I feel much better.”

Silence falls for a while.

“May I ask a question?” I ask after a few moments.

“Go ahead.”

“When I first arrived here – you offered to stay with me while Albus interrogated Avery. Why?” Albus has already spoken to me about it, but I want to hear it from the boy himself.

Harry shrugs. “I know how much you mean to him. He said he thinks of you as his own. I guess that makes us brothers.”

Harry really has no idea.

“When you’re feeling better and everything,” he says, changing the subject, “will you teach me to control my power? I’ve already made a lot of work for window repairers; next time I lose it I could be in really big trouble, or even hurt someone.”

I sigh. “I suppose I can teach you. I expect Albus will want me to teach you proper Occlumency as well.” Seeing the look on Harry’s face, I add, “Proper Occlumency, not an excuse for attacking your mind repeatedly. And, when done properly, it does play a large part in magic control. Keeps you focused.”

Harry nods slowly. “Okay then. It’s a deal.”

 

This year should definitely be interesting.
The End.
Chapter End Notes:
Remember, this is not the last of the story - there will be other one-shots. Keep an eye on my profile, and check out the original story on FFnet too if you want. (It's written from a general point of view, so the Severus-Harry relationship is more of a subplot in that one.) Thank you for reading.