Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I apologize ahead of time for any typos. Didn't have the oomph. Also, the F-bomb makes an appearance in this chapter. Once. But it's there.
Chapter 4

Hana went about the task of polishing silverware listlessly, chin resting in her left hand as she directed the cutlery with her right. The little elf looked indisputably sad and she heaved a great sigh which served only to corroborate this image.

Another elf entered her work space and clucked at her reprovingly. "Hana Igo 'n Balla's child!" she admonished. "You is still moping!"

"Ma!" Hana whined in protest, bringing both hands up to cover her ears. "Hana is not wanting to hear it!"

Balla cuffed her offspring in the back of the head. "You is listening here, Hana!" the older elf scolded. "You'se to be wasting no more time moping over that bad wizard!"

"Master Potions Master Professor sir is not a bad wizard!" Hana contradicted hotly, jumping to her feet. "He is one who -"

"He is bad, dark wizard for You-Know-Who! Torie is seeing him sneak out of castle to go to evil wizard and Kirrin is knowing he is having evil wizard's Mark!"

"Headmaster sir would not be hiring bad wizard."

"Headmaster sir is not being perfect – and he is being too trusting of other wizards. He is being mistaken before!"

"He is not mistaken about Master Potions Master Professor sir!" Hana declared, eyes full of angry tears.

"Hana Igo 'n Balla's child, you is not being proper elf!" Balla berated. "Balla is Hogwarts' elf. Igo is Hogwarts' elf. You is being Balla and Igo's child – you is Hogwarts' elf, Hana! You is not that bad wizard's elf!"

"Master Potions Master Professor sir is Hogwarts' professor. Hana is being his elf because Hana and Master Potions Master Professor is both belonging to Hogwarts!"

Her mother batted her about the ears several times. "Hana's Ma is not been raising such a bad elf! You is still apprentice elf, you is still listening to your elders!" she commanded sharply. "You are not to be going to bad Potions Master any more unless he is calling you. Balla will not be having her child serving dark wizards!"

"Master Potions Master Professor sir is not dark wizard," Hana willfully declared. "He will call Hana and Hana will serve him proudly."

"He is not even liking you!" Balla told her. "He will not be needing Hana. Hana will not go to him. You will be obeying me!" With a stern look, Balla left and Hana sat back down on her stool.

"Ma is being wrong," the young elf cried to herself. "He is not being dark wizard. Master Potions Master Professor sir will call Hana... he will. He is needing Hana..."

But already two weeks had passed since she'd seen her beloved Potions Master. Slowly, the days went by until yet another week and a half was gone. Hana began to believe that maybe her mother was right. She would never be able to repay her gratitude to the wizard who had once saved her life because that wizard did not need her...

0o0o0

It was a cold, stormy night. The pouring rain drummed down on the old castle as though attempting to drench its slumbering inhabitants. Deep within the stone bowels, a door was opened to admit a black-clad figure. The man staggered another two steps before stumbling, sprawling headlong across the floor. He managed to roll onto his back, gasping in pain, limbs twitching with the after-effects of the torture he had endured.

The Dark Lord had been in an exceedingly foul mood, and as always, took it out on his followers. Severus Snape had not been the only on upon which he had exercised his rage. He was, however, the only one to drag himself away.

He needed to give his report to the headmaster, but even if he had the energy to drag himself to the floo, the proud young man did not want his employer to see him in such a state. He didn't want to risk having the elder wizard remove him from his duties. Snape would not spare himself the pain that spying on the Dark Lord brought him – it was only what he deserved for all his misdeeds, most of all, for putting the life of the woman he loved in peril.

There were potions in his medicine cabinet, but his bathroom was farther away than the fireplace and he doubted that his voice, raw from screaming, would succeed in summoning them. Perhaps, he would call for the elf... the one he had made cry. What was her name? He'd heard her say it so many times. It wasn't Ha-ha, nor Hannah. It was...

"Hana," he rasped aloud. As another spasm shot through his arm, he wondered if he had spoken loudly enough to bring the elf to him. A moment later, however, the pop of displaced air announced the arrival of another in his quarters.

"Master Potions Master Professor sir!" the elf squeaked in dismay as her face appeared in his line of sight. "You is hurt, sir! Hana will get Madame Pomfrey!"

"No!" he managed before she could match action to words.

"But, Master Pot -"

Snape lifted a hand and she broke off to listen. "In my bathroom," he whispered. "Bottom shelf... left. Three vials."

"In Master Potions Master Professor's medicine cabinet?" Hana queried. The man gave a slight nod and she immediately left to retrieve the requested vials. "Which one is Master Potions Master Professor sir needing first? This one?"

A few minutes later, the little elf had helped the wizard take the potions and stood anxiously by as he continued to lie on the floor. The man's eyes were closed and he was breathing slowly in and out. His pain had eased to a dull ache, the tremors ceased. He was just giving himself a moment to simply lie there.

"Master Potions Mas -" Hana began.

"Stop," Snape cut her off.

"Sir..?"

"Don't call me that," he said wearily. "It is far too long."

"Oh. Then, what is Hana to be calling you?" she asked.

"Just 'professor' or 'Potions Master' is fine." He opened his eyes and levered himself off the ground. "Thank you for your assistance," he added.

Hana beamed. "Potions Master does not need to thank Hana!" she declared, practically bouncing with giddiness. "Hana is proud to help!"

"'I am'," Snape corrected automatically. Hana looked at him in confusion. "It's, 'I am proud'... never mind." The man decided that trying to break a house elf of referring to itself in the third-person would probably do little more than give him a headache.

"Is Potions Master needing anything else?"

Though, perhaps it was already too late for that. "You may..." he started, heaving a sigh as he realized he would probably never be rid of the elf again, "bring me some tea, if you must. I need to floo the headmaster."

"Hana will!" The little elf clapped her hands together and promptly left to get tea.

0o0o0

"And Hana has been helping Potions Master ever since!" Hana concluded happily. "He is teaching Hana how to help with his potions and get ingredients. That is why Hana is considering herself almost being Potions Master's elf."

"But you aren't," Harry said.

"No, but Potions Master is letting Hana pretend," she said. "That is enough for Hana."

"Harry," Snape said, his tone holding a note of warning. It was clear there was something going on in the boy's head and he was certain he would not particularly care for it.

Before either wizard could say anything else, however, Hana suddenly straightened, ears perking forward. "Hana needs to go now," she stated. "Good bye, sirs!" Without further ado, she popped out of the room.

"That was sudden," Harry noted.

Snape murmured a spell to reheat his tea and calmly took a sip. "She was called away to other duties."

"Oh." The fourteen-year-old eyed his guardian thoughtfully.

"Whatever you are thinking, you may put it out of your mind right this instant."

"But, sir, I was just thinking -"

"Wherein lies the inception of nearly all your life-endangering stunts," drawled the Potions Master.

Ignoring this, Harry continued, "You like Hana, don't you, sir?"

Snape narrowed his eyes at the boy. "Of course I do," he conceded. "She is, perhaps, a bit high strung, but that is to be expected of many house elves."

"And you want her to be happy, right?"

"Mr. Potter, you are sorely mistaken if you believe that Hana is unhappy."

"But she'd be even happier if she was your house elf!"

"No." Snape pronounced with finality.

"No?" his charge sputtered.

"I have no desire to own a house elf. No."

"But, professor!" Harry protested. "Hana already considers herself your elf. How would it be any different than it is now?"

"Harry," Snape spoke sharply.

"Besides, it's her birthday," cajoled the boy, "and what Hana wants more than anything is to be your elf, professor."

Pinching the bridge of his nose, the Potions Master let out a heavy sigh. "Fine." He wondered for just whom he was giving in. Bloody Potter's making me go soft...

"Great!" Harry threw back his blanket. "I'll -"

"You," Snape cut in sternly, "will remain right where you are while I go talk to the headmaster." Harry obediently leaned back against the arm of the sofa, bringing the blanket back up to his chest. His professor shot him one last cautionary glare before stepping into the floo.

The moment he was gone, Harry's face broke into a huge grin.

0o0o0

"Hana."

The little elf popped into the circular office. "Headmaster sir is nee...ding Hana?" The latter part of her query became oddly drawn out as she noticed that the Potions Master was also in the room. She tilted her head inquisitively.

"Ah, yes," said Dumbledore pleasantly. "Do make yourself comfortable, Hana."

Hana looked from Dumbledore to Snape and back again.

"It is my understanding that you are quite fond of Severus. Is that right?"

"Oh, yes, Headmaster sir!" Hana gushed. "Master Potions Master Professor sir is greatest wizard, ever!"

The old wizard chuckled. "I think rather highly of the man, myself," he said, eyes twinkling madly.

"Flattery will get you nowhere, Albus," Snape uttered dryly.

"I suppose you're right," Dumbledore agreed, turning his attention back to the elf. "Well, considering the circumstances, I suppose I shall have to release you from service to Hogwarts School."

Hana reacted immediately. "No, sir, please!" she cried. "Hana will do better – she is not meaning to be a bad elf. Hana... Hana will punish herself however Headmaster sir commands! She'll work harder and be a good, good elf from now on! Hana promises! Hana will swear on -"

"You do not wish to be released from your bond to the school?" the headmaster feigned surprised. She vigorously shook her head, ears flapping back and forth as tears coursed her cheeks. "I'm sorry, Severus," Dumbledore addressed the younger man, "but I'm afraid I cannot transfer Hana's bond over to you."

The glare Snape gave him made it clear that he did not care for his antics.

Hana had abruptly stopped crying and was staring at the headmaster with wide eyes. "Headmaster sir is wanting to release Hana so she can be Potions Master's elf?" she asked in disbelief.

"That was the idea," the man confirmed, "but since you are so set against the idea..."

"Hana wants to be Potions Master's elf!" the elf practically shouted. "All Hana is ever wanting is to be Potions Master's elf." She began crying again, this time for a different reason.

"Honestly, Albus, is this really necessary?" Snape hissed.

"Very well," Dumbledore sighed, though, mischief still sparkled in his blue eyes. Rising to his feet, he directed his wand over the house elf. "As headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, I release you, Hana Igo 'n Balla's child, from your duties to said school that your bond and loyalty may henceforth be to Severus Snape, Potions Master."

A glow began to emanate around Hana, a cord of light coming up through the stone floor – ostensibly from the 'heart' of the castle. As the three of them looked on, the cord broke off before its loose end wove around and extended toward the Potions Master. Soon, Snape, too, was surrounded by light which intensified momentarily before abruptly dissipating.

"Merlin's fucking balls," Snape breathed. It was as though a comfortable weight had settled upon him and a corner of him mind was suddenly aware of the house elf. This would eventually fade until it was entirely subconscious, but at the moment, the newness of the situation was a bit startling.

Hana looked up at the Potions Master, honey-colored eyes filled with that same adoration she had held for him all these years. "Hana is Potions Master's elf, now!" she exclaimed happily.

The man gave her a faint smile. "That, you are," he replied. "Happy birthday, Hana."