Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Settling In

Several drinks later, Severus lost count, and the man found himself starting to drift off. Shaking his head, he quickly cleared his thoughts, and then performed a quick tempus charm. It was nearly one o’clock in the morning, Severus scowled. The day had been long, retrieving Potter from the hospital and spelling Hogwarts to arrange an extra bedroom.

Severus’ scowl deepened, he and the boy were now linked, master and apprentice. The magic binding them was old, traditional, it couldn’t be broken. Severus thought back to his own apprenticeship, more of a technicality than anything, and a part of him hated fate. After the fall of the Dark Lord, many Death Eaters had been captured by the ministry and were being sent off to Azkaban. When Severus’ name made the top of list, no amount of argument from Albus could convince the ministry of his innocence.

Severus wasn’t innocent, he knew it, Albus knew it, and the ministry wouldn’t be swayed. It had only been a little over four years since Severus had joined the Death Eaters as Albus’ spy. But in order to join, he had to be willing; he had to be full of hate. At seventeen, Severus had been full of hate and anger; he hated the world and everything in it. When he was with the Dark Lord, he was expected to do many things, and he did them, all of them.

Doing as the Dark Lord bid, Severus would focus on his anger, focus on his rage, he made a separate part of himself, one that wanted to do those deeds. When he was free of the Dark Lord, returning home, he would come back to himself, sick with guilt and the horrible reality of what he’d done. But Severus knew the truth, no matter what circumstances Albus would argue on his behalf, he had done those things, he was guilty.

Being guilty of those crimes, the ministry would have thrown him into Azkaban. Severus would have spent the rest of his life, forgotten, wallowing in the memories of pain and hate as all happiness sucked from him.

As it were, Albus had an alternative plan, an apprenticeship. Severus thought it was a good idea at the time, desperately really, the only plan. And so Severus was bound to Albus Dumbledore, as a technicality really, for a few years. When the focus of the ministry started to wan and many became to accept that Severus was not a true death eater, Severus was released from his apprenticeship and once again his own man.

It had been nearly eight years that Severus had been bound to another wizard. The first chance he got, he fled from Hogwarts, spending a year studying for his potions mastery. The work was quite easy, as he already had knew most of the material, so he started to look for a job assignment. Despite being generally considered innocent, most who knew of him would not even consider his resume. Lack of options brought him back to Hogwarts where he took up post as the Potions Professor.

Only 26 years old, he was the youngest by far. The only consolation though, was all of the students who’d gone to school with him were now gone and graduated. He was not so lucky regarding students who recalled him from his apprenticeship days. Not that many even knew he was apprenticed, Albus and the staff didn’t really speak openly about it. No, mostly he was remembered as the bat in the dungeons, the one who made potions for the infirmary or occasionally took over class for sick or traveling professors.

Albus continued to be a mentor for him and Severus found himself drawn to the man like a boy to his father. Embarrassed by his own weakness, Severus often exploded at the man, hoping to show how Albus was not important to him, and no, he wasn’t going to do as Albus wanted. When Albus’ eyes twinkled, the message was unmistakable. The headmaster would not be pushed away; he would always be there for Severus, as the bond between master and apprentice was never completely gone.

But now Severus seethed. It was that apprenticeship that gave him the unique qualifications to take on an apprentice himself. The ancient magic expects that the apprentice will become the master, and so it latched onto him as if it was always meant to be. But of course, who should he have as an apprentice, none other than harry-bloody-potter.

Even though he was very angry about the whole situation, there was a small detail that made him feel very uneasy. What he couldn’t understand was why the headmaster hadn’t apprenticed Potter himself. He’d asked the man, but got so distracted by the following, “I helped you back when you needed it, now I ask you for help,” guilt trip, he’d completely forgotten. But if the headmaster truly cared for the boy, wouldn’t he also be concerned with Potter’s happiness?

Severus had a sinking feeling that the old man’s main objective was to prevent the boy from being a ward of the ministry. He was concerned that Albus was only concerned with maintaining influence over the boy. That concern shook Severus to the core, if that was all Albus wanted then he was going to make sure that he didn’t allow the man’s manipulations control the boy’s future. He, Severus Snape, was in control and he would do as he saw fit.

Severus took out his wand, a few spells later and the Firewiskey and glass were cleared away. Standing up, he felt his balance was slightly off; usually his body did not react with such influence. He realized with a start that he hadn’t had anything to eat all afternoon, which meant the same for the boy as well. He felt slightly shamed by that realization, regardless of how he felt about the boy, he had no plans on starving him.

Walking to the boy’s room, Severus quietly opened the door.  He’d heard the boy crying earlier, but his sobs had died down and the room had grown silent. Stepping into the room, he found Potter asleep, lying oddly skewed across the bed. Unwilling to touch the boy, Severus acioed his glasses and then levitated his body into a more normal sleeping position. In another fluid motion of his wand, Severus had the comforter completely tuck around Potter and the lights spelled out.

Resolving to take a strong headache draught before bed, Severus slipped out of the room.

..…

The next morning, Severus woke at the usual early hour, well before most any other individuals. His body was accustomed to short amounts of sleep, and after having taken the headache draught the night before; he didn’t feel any ill effects of the Firewiskey. He quickly showered and got ready for the day. After flooing Dumbledore of his intention to take a further three days away from class, Severus went to his study to start outlining his plans for his apprentice.

Two hours later and a well prepared Snape headed to his apprentice’s room to wake the brat. “Potter,” Snape shouted, rapping his knuckles against the open door frame, “time to get up.”

The boy’s body jolted, being startled awake, he mumbled something incoherent, Snape chose to ignore him.

“You have fifteen minutes to get up, shower, dress, and come to the breakfast,” Snape ordered, “if you are late, you will not enjoy the consequences.” The boy moved, curling into a ball, looking to settle back into sleep. “Potter!” Snape shouted louder, pulling out his wand he pulled the covers off the bed, “up now!”

“Urg,” Harry whined in alarm. The boy rubbed his eyes and reached out for his glasses.

“You will find an outfit in your truck,” Snape pointed to the end of the bed, “one of the better pieces of your atrocious wardrobe.” Potter was sitting up, a look of defiance in his eyes, Snape ignored him. “You now have fourteen minutes, move!”

Finally Potter got up and hurried across the room towards the bathroom. Satisfied, Severus stepped out of the room to give the boy his privacy. He went to the floo to order their meal and then sat and waited, watching the clock closely.

…..

While in the bathroom, Harry could feel his anger rising again. He wanted to throw things. He wanted to yell and scream, and even stomp his feet, regardless of how juvenile that sounded. However, despite his anger, he complied with Snape’s request. He found everything that he needed in the bathroom. A part of him was skeptical about using the toothbrush, seeing as he had no idea where it was from. After close inspection, he was sure that it was likely new, seeing as it bore no signs of use.

Dressed in only a towel, Harry poked his head out of the bathroom door. He wished he’d gathered his clothing before heading to the shower, but in his hurry to comply, he hadn’t been thinking clearly. Also, while he’d been in the shower, his pajamas had disappeared. Harry hoped it had been the result of a spell or something, since the alternative made him shudder. As a result, Harry was feeling very uneasy, half expecting Snape to burst into the room, yelling insults.

Sprinting to the truck, Harry snapped open the lid. He briefly noticed that most of his things were in there, with the exception that he really only had one outfit and no others. Gathering up said outfit, Harry rushed back into the bathroom and quickly dressed. Finally, he combed his hair, not that it did much good.

Ready, Harry made his way back to the main area, he wasn’t sure how much time had passed, but he was positive that he’d been quick enough. Taking a deep breath, Harry opened the door.

“Why, Mr. Potter,” Snape growled, “I am impressed; I had expected you’d be late.”

Catching sight of all the food on the table, Harry didn’t really take in Snape’s comment. Suddenly, the boy realized how hungry he was and for the moment, he lost all concern regarding his present living arrangements.

“Potter,” Snape called, “if you would please stop drooling all over yourself and have a seat, we may begin our breakfast.”

Blushing, Harry nodded, and went to sit down opposite Snape. As soon as both were sitting, Snape started to serve himself some food. Somewhat hesitantly, since he was unsure of how the man would react, Harry did the same. When it was clear that Snape wasn’t going to stop him, Harry finished filling his plate with a bit of everything.

Harry had not expected a breakfast like this with Snape. There were eggs, potatos, sausage, ham, rolls, toast porridge, pancakes, fruit, and even a variety of muffins. It was almost like they had their own personal spread to mirror the great hall. Despite being very hungry, Harry still ate with a bit of control, knowing from experience he could upset his stomach. Harry also had the impression that he might upset Snape as well.

“So Potter,” Snape began, “today I have several things planned.”

Harry didn’t look up from his food, now that his hunger was being satisfied; he was again reminded of the situation he was in.

“First, we will go shopping for some much needed clothing,” Snape announced. “Do you realize how atrocious your wardrobe was?” Harry chose not to respond, he didn’t really think Snape expected him to anyway. “Second, when we return to Hogwarts, you will do a number of different tests; I’d like to assess how abysmal your learning has been thus far. Not to mention the fact you appear to have no level of fitness what so ever.” Harry scowled at that, ready to retort, but Snape continued. “Third, you will see Madame Pomfry, for a physical exam, as your medical records seem to be missing from your file.”

“Wait, what file?” Harry asked.

He was ignored, “afterwards, you will rest in your room for the afternoon, perhaps you can read or simply nap. I don’t care what you do, but you will stay put in your room so that I may have some time without you to concentrate. Finally, before supper, I will discuss your training program, expectations, and outline consequences should you disobey.”

Severus studied the boy, waiting for him to throw another one if his spoiled little fits. He was pleased to see the boy blush and look away. Today was going much better so far than the afternoon before.

Harry pushed his plate away; his stomach wasn’t feeling to well anymore. With a wave of Snape’s wand, all of the food and plates vanished. “We shall floo to Hogsmeade,” Snape directed.

Harry briefly considered folding his arms, demanding answers or a way out of the current situation. He looked towards the door, the one that must lead out of these rooms, away from Snape. Harry was fast, he could run and run and never look back. But Harry realized that was just foolish thinking. He couldn’t get away, or even if he could, he had nowhere else to go.  

Reluctantly, Harry got to his feet.

To be continued...