Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

Disclaimer : Does my name start with a J? Uh uh. 

This is my first attempt at a story based in the HP world, despite being introduced to it more than nine years ago. And so, I hope you can bear with me and my slight (understatement) commitment problem with writing. I simply can't stick in front of the computer and write. Tips and crucios and other forms of encouragement are welcomed.  Enjoy!

(Oh, and I'm not really sure where the story's going to go yet, so i'm going to rate the story and categorise it according to what I have now.) 

Author's Chapter Notes:
My first chapter of my first story. I'm not really sure what kind of warning I should give yet, so...

All criticism are welcomed; as long as you don't make me cry, that is. :)

Ok. Here goes nothing.
Chapter 1 Deliberation

Harry Potter strode quickly away from the usual clattering mess of a breakfast behind him, heading towards the Room of Requirement. He needed to be alone. His school robes billowing behind him as he rushed through the corridors, Harry ignored the quiet whispers that passed him as a late cluster of girls walked by, keenly aware of their gazes on him.

"Harry?"

Damn. Cursing under his breath, Harry squeezed his eyes shut and schooled his features into a calm pleasant look. Turning slightly, he forced a smile.

"Hi, Hermione."

"Why aren't you at breakfast? You can't have finished that fast, can you? It's only been five minutes since breakfast started." Hermione's brows furrowed slightly under her bushy hair, her tone slightly disapproving. 

I really need to be alone. Harry gritted his teeth. "I had an early breakfast at the kitchens. Ask Dobby if you want." He didn't, actually, but it's not like Hermione's going to check. She hates going to the elves for something, even for a question.

Hermione's frown proved him wrong a second later. "I'd just saw Dobby in the Common Room. He didn't say anything about you having an early breakfast today." Harry opened his mouth to answer, but Hermione cut him off. "You aren't skipping meals again, are you Harry?"

Harry's defiant look was answer enough.

"Harr-" Hermione started exasperatedly, but Harry cut her off.

"Look Hermione. I really need to do something today, okay? Just... leave me alone for a few minutes. I'll be right back, I promise." His fingers flexed reflexively as he tried to keep his irritation from showing, and the parchment in his hands crinkled softly. He stiffened. She didn't notice that. Please tell me she didn't.

Luck wasn't on Harry's side though. Hermione's sharp gaze zeroed in on Harry's tightly clenched fist and her lips pursed as realization dawned on her face. "Harry, you cannot try to brew that! I told you. It's too risky! The belladonna and the lacewing flies combination, they're just too unstable. There's a reason why Snape didn't let us brew it, Harry, not even in class. Anything could happen if something went wrong, and so many things may go wrong! Harr-"

"I'm not doing it, alright?" Harry burst out, his lie slipping out before he could help it. Really, Hermione should keep her nose where it belonged. "I don't have any belladonna and I can't Owl order it, not with Filch screening our mail. Sides, I'm not going to risk Snape's wrath to get it, okay?" Under his breath, he added, "'S not like I need any more detentions."

The girl winced; she knew about Harry's brutal detentions with Umbridge last year and the aversion Harry had to detentions nowadays. Her lips pursed in contemplation, her eyes raking across Harry, assessing the truth in his words. She opened her mouth as if to reply, but Harry cut her off before she could.

"Really, ‘Mione. I won't." Harry softened his tone. "I know its dangers and risks." But I don't care about it. "I know you care about me, you and Ron both, and I appreciate it. I'm not going to brew it, really. I just wanted to work on my Patronus." Seeing Hermione's eyes soften, he added, "Really, I won't do it. I promise."

To Harry's surprise, that elicited a small mirthless laugh from Hermione. "That won't work, Harry. I know you. You're going to run off to the Room of Requirement right after this; I just know you will." Harry's widened guilty eyes proved her right.  Hermione sighed, but continued relentlessly. "I know you miss them, Harry, it's only reasonable, after Si--I mean, after last year, but you can't-"

"Hermione, don't." Harry pleaded softly.

"Harry, you can't grieve this way. It's unhealthy. Skipping meals, avoiding Ron and me and even Ginny-"

"I had too much homework, Hermione!" Harry cut in.

"-leaving the Quidditch team-"

"You were the one saying I have to prioritise!"

"-changing the subject whenever someone mentions the Ministry-"

"Why talk about those idiots? Remember Umbridge?" Harry protested.

Hermione continued despite the interruption. "-you space out, Harry; during meals, in the middle of Transfiguration, in the middle of Potions, in the middle of everything--yes, of course I noticed." Hermione said wryly. She sighed a little. "You have to let go of him, Harry."

Harry looked at the girl in front of her, swallowing hard against the lump forming in his throat. He'd been working so hard to forget about last year; he scrubbed and polished everything in the Dursleys' house, mowed the lawn religiously every day, trimmed the weeds, cooked grand meals; so hard that even the Dursleys avoided him.

But now... it's all coming back now.

No. Crashing will be a better word.

Seeing Harry's look, Hermione's tone softened. "I'm your friend, Harry. We all are." Moving towards Harry, she raised a hand slowly as if approaching a wounded beast. Harry stiffened as her hand dropped on his shoulder. "Let us help you."

"You can't help, Hermione," Harry's lips twisted into a wry half-smile. He raised his eyes to meet Hermione's, and the girl flinched at the raw despair inside those emerald eyes. "Nobody can."

  Flustered at the unexpected reaction, Hermione swallowed. "But you must try. It may help. Talk to us, Harry. Write it out in a journal; write to Sirius, even, if you want." Hermione babbled on desperately, unaware that Harry's gaze had turned icy at the name. "Don't keep it all inside. You're repressing your grief. You must let it all out; you can't keep on-"

"Stop telling me what I can or cannot do!" Harry snarled suddenly, his eyes flashing.  Sirius fell into the veil, a laugh still etched on his face. He shrugged off Hermione's hand.  "You don't know what you're talking about. You don't know anything, Hermione! Books don't tell you everything. You don't know how it is, how it feels to lose him all over a-" he broke off, his voice oddly strained.

Shocked into silence, Hermione watched as Harry broke off and straightened up--he'd curled instinctively into a protective stance. He rasped shakily, "Just leave me alone."

"Harry, I-"

"Leave me alone."

Without another look at the stricken girl, Harry turned and strode away, ignoring the eyes on him in the corridor.

*******

Severus Snape never really liked Sunday mornings. There were too many unfortunate events connected, especially since it was the Dark Lord's favourite day. It was also, regretfully, the day Albus Dumbledore preferred to invade the privacy of his quarters.

Said old wizard stood in the corner of the moderately large room, his twinkle somewhat muted as he waited for the younger wizard to join him. Snape waved his wand sharply in the direction of the door, bringing up the wards and double checking their durability in one smooth slash. This conversation was one he wasn't looking forward to.

Steeling himself, he made a promise to himself to save whatever could be saved; he would fight till the end. A deep frown etched into his forehead, he slid his wand back into place and joined the old headmaster, both men shrouded in the unnatural silence of the dungeons.

"You do know what I'm here for," said Dumbledore after a few minutes.

Snape nodded sharply.

"Then surely you know what must be done."

A sharp intake of breath. How dare he! "You are mistaken, Headmaster. I have not the slightest idea to what you termed must be done."

"Severus," Dumbledore, having anticipated this, sighed, looking every bit as wizened as his age suggest. He turned slightly towards Snape. "Don't be difficult."

"I am making no such attempt."

"You truly do not know?"

"As I indicated not moments ago."

"Severus, you know very well from the beginning that this war would claim its sacrifices-"

"And it has been destined to be the Slytherins." Snape sneered severely, cutting off Dumbledore. "I wonder if you've ever took the liberty of looking into a mirror, Headmaster."

"Albus."

If Snape heard the gentle correction, he gave no indication of it. "These are innocent children you're sending to a sadistic megalomaniac who has every intention of branding them with a blazing mark of darkness itself. Children," Snape slashed his hands through the air, "who barely knows how to manage their own wardrobe, and you suggest that I condemn them to a life of slavery and submission," Snape exhaled sharply and glared challengingly at the calm old wizard in front of him. "You cannot claim ignorance on the intimate details of such a life."

Albus nodded sadly. "Indeed I cannot."

"And still, you have every intention to banish those children to such a life. Not the Gryffindors, not the Hufflepuffs, but only the Slytherins." Snape sneered. "And a wonder, the entire Wizarding world still holds you as the symbol of Light and unity."

"I understand your concerns, Severus," Snape snorted. Dumbledore sighed. "You are a good Head of House. Too good, one might think, considering your own past here at the school."

"Flattery will get you nowhere, Headmaster."

A slight twinkle flashed across Dumbledore's eyes but it vanished as he continued. "But as I previously mentioned, there are sacrifices one has to make in a war. And it is, indeed, unfortunate that most Slytherins are involved; we can only hope these children survive what their parents sowed. But if this is what it takes, it is what must be done to assure Voldemort of your allegiances."

"These are mere children, Headmaster, children who are not to be taken for granted."

"I know, Severus. You cannot possibly understand how much." A few moments passed in silence as Dumbledore's words sink in slowly, heavy with emotion. "But, regretfully, it's the only way to ensure your safety." At Snape's silence, Dumbledore continued. "We cannot afford to lose you, Severus."

Snape chuckled mirthlessly. "Because my life is so precious to your little Order."

"No, Severus. Because Harry cannot afford to lose you."

Snape stiffened. "Mr. Potter has nothing to do with the matter at hand."

"Harry has everything to do with this."

Snape ignored him. "So what do you propose we do? Compile a list of names complete with spelling abilities and other attributes of those who resides in Slytherin house? Or do we wrap them up in a parcel, tie a green and silver ribbon on top of it and owl them to the Dark Lord?"

Albus looked as if he wasn't pleased with the quick change of subject, but nevertheless replied, "You are not thinking rationally, Severus."

"You expect too much of me, Headmaster. One cannot think rationally after being demanded to betray their own."

Dumbledore sighed. "Let us sit down and talk this through." Dumbledore moved towards the dark leather sofa in the room and beckoned to Snape.

Huffing irritably, Snape sat opposite Dumbledore, his robes billowing around him dramatically.

Dumbledore smiled slightly at the sight and sighed. "Severus, you have to understand, these children we are "condemning"--as you put it--to Voldemort cannot be helped no matter how hard you try. Their families are far too deeply rooted in Voldemort's ranks to allow such preventive attempts to bear fruit. We cannot help where these children are born and bred, Severus, or how their mindsets were trained." Snape remained silent save for a small frown. "We have to stop the war, Severus. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little to save the rest. I regret that those little must be your Slytherins."

Snape clenched his jaw. The truth in Dumbledore's words was undeniable; his previous attempts were indication enough. But it still didn't make it any easier to take.

"You play a tough card, Albus," Snape said finally. His tone was weary suddenly, as if bearing the weight of the world. "Nevertheless, you are correct." As you so often are.

Dumbledore, as if reading Snape's mind, sighed. "I would give anything to be proven wrong right now."

"Is there truly no other means? Approaches from different perspectives that we've missed?"

"I'm very sorry Severus."

"You should be."

"Don't make this harder for me to take, Severus. It isn't any easier, even knowing the reasoning behind it."

The troubled tone behind Dumbledore soft voice wasn't easy to miss. Snape felt uneasy all of a sudden. He of all people had an intimate understanding of the weight of Dumbledore's responsibilities; his mentor had too many burdens a man his age should ever have. Of course, it also meant Dumbledore had more mistakes to live with.

Just like himself.

He shook himself out of his reverie and asked, "So what do you propose we do now? The Dark Lord would not allow much time to pass before he hands out a test of his own." Especially not after I declined to join the recruitment party.

Dumbledore seemed to be thinking along the same lines."Yes. Your offered response would not be able to satisfy him after some time. However little knowledge he has about teaching Potions, he would begin to suspect your avoidance. Even so, he would demand you pay more attention to him rather than the school."

"And you do not want it to come to that."

"We do not, indeed."

When no further elaboration followed, Snape demanded, "Where do you propose to start then? Are you to suggest I select a few children at random and present them to the Dark Lord?" He ended with a grimace.

"No, no, of course not." Dumbledore said with a small shake of his head, still lost in thought. He tapped a finger against his knee as his mind whirled. "Perhaps we should only include Slytherins with loyal Death Eater parents. There's simply no way their parents could afford nor intend to excuse them from the Dark Lord, unless you could think of an exception?"

Snape shook his head slowly. "I will look into that."

"And those who already have plans to enter his servitude?"

A reluctant nod from Snape this time. "My previous attempts at revealing their potential lives proved disastrous save for a few. The remaining unmoved will remain so, I'm afraid."

"You've done your best, Severus." Dumbledore offered him a comforting smile. "There's only so much you can do."

Severus shifted a little uncomfortably. "Yes. Well, anyone else?"

Dumbledore pursed his lips and Snape braced himself instinctively. He'd learnt to detect enough of Dumbledore's little signals to be wary of the next answer. "And of course, the offspring of all agents in his inner circle."

Draco. Of course he means Draco. There is only one Death Eater in the entirety of the Dark Lord's inner circle who bore a son. "I'm afraid there is still hope for the boy, Headmaster. He'd begun to show signs of turning against the Dark Lord."

Dumbledore shook his head sadly. "Even so, you cannot hope to reason your way out of this in front of Voldemort. I'm afraid that cannot be helped, Severus."

"I refuse to give up on the boy; he's shown too much potential, Albus." Severus stood up and began to pace. "I would not rest assured until he's safe, and neither would you." When Dumbledore remained silent, Severus stopped and closed his eyes. After a long silence, he said in a curiously blank tone. "He's my godson, Albus."

"Oh, Severus," Dumbledore's eyes burned with compassion and regret as they followed Snape from one end of the room to the other. He got up and laid a hand on Snape's shoulder, stilling Snape's motions. "Nevertheless, he is a Malfoy, and I'm afraid there's nothing you can do short of a miracle."

"And to think that you just mentioned that we can't help where we are born into."

"That's not what I meant," Dumbledore sighed wearily. "He's a Malfoy, Severus; Voldemort would not have it. He would expect Lucius' son to follow in his father's footsteps. "

Severus paused. "Then I will make him change his mind."

"And risk your own life? I think not, Severus." Dumbledore drew himself up to his full height, the twinkle in his eyes completely vanished. "I'm really sorry, Severus. I know you had hope for Mr. Malfoy, but you'll have to give him up."

Snape whirled to a furious stop. "You've demanded me to hand out young Slytherins like Christmas confectionary to Voldemort." He hissed, spitting out the words like curses. "And now I'm supposed to banish my own godson to his death? I will not lose another one to the mind-ripping bastard again, Albus!"

Silence reigned.

Then finally, "You have two godsons, Severus."

Snape snorted, but sat down again. "Yes, I am aware of that." Painfully. He narrowed his eyes, "You do know Mr. Potter would never rest easily if he knew about this."

"Which you would keep from him, I hope."

Snape exhaled sharply. "The boy is not utterly incompetent, Albus. He will piece together twisted versions of events he finds and attain whatever convoluted truth he can fabricate from it." Snape paused, "He, in all his arrogance and Gryffindorishness, would assume Draco died for him." Which also signifies trouble.

"You overestimate the relationship between Harry and Mr. Malfoy. Harry could never come to believe Mr. Malfoy would die for him."

"There is a difference between free-willed sacrifice and arranged death, Albus, and Mr. Potter knows it. He would not mourn Draco's death; he would only loathe you for adding another death on his account." Snape sneered. "Merlin only knows that boy doesn't need another death on his conscience."

That was obviously the wrong thing to say. Dumbledore's face lit up like a Christmas tree. "You have come to care for him, then?"

"I merely stated a fact. I do not care for another sleep-deficient dunderhead causing explosions in my classroom." Snape glowered. "That is beside the point."

Dumbledore sighed, but settled back into his seat. "You will come to see him for who he is one day, I suppose." His eyes took on a thoughtful tone as they settled on Snape. "But you are right. He doesn't. Even so, I believe he will have more to lose sleep over if you were the one sacrificed."

Snape snorts. "I really do not think Mr. Potter would suffer from my death," he remarked drily. "In fact, one would think he would launch himself into the air with joy at the news."

"You underestimate him, Severus."

"In what sense? His troll-sized ego?" Snape scoffed. "Or his mountains of fans?"

Dumbledore ignored him. "We both saw how he responded to your Pensieved memory." Snape stiffened. "And we both know why he acted the way he did."

Snape clenched his jaw. "You have no proof of it, Albus. He might have simply seen something...obviously suggestive."

"Exactly." Dumbledore nodded grimly. "And who better to recognise the signs than a victim himself?"

Snape clenched his jaw in aggravation and walked away towards the large expanse of bookshelves instead. Facing away from Dumbledore, he continued in a quiet voice moments later. "You have no need to remind me, Albus. I am perfectly aware of the consequences of my own choices."

"Severus," Dumbledore gazed sadly at the younger wizard. "Things turned out the way it did. We cannot know what might have been."

"Don't sugarcoat the truth, Albus."

"I'm doing no such thing." Dumbledore walked towards where Snape stood ominously. "You're not to blame yourself." He held up a hand to stave off Snape's indignant denial. "I know you, Severus. Do not let it eat at you. You might both be dead had things took another turn that day."

"We're getting further away from the matter at hand." Snape pointed out after a while.

"Yes, well," Dumbledore straightened his robes. "I trust you to make the best decision there is."

Snape scoffed. "Had I my way, I'd deliver Potter with my own hands."

Dumbledore smiled. "You will not fool me, Severus." Snape harrumphed. "But just in case, keep in mind that if you do not do this now, it may fall to your godsons to do so."

Snape closed his eyes. "Yes, I'm perfectly aware of that." The Dark Lord would not hesitate to order Draco to him and ask for the names of half-bloods and Muggleborns in Slytherin. And Draco, after his recent change of heart, might just have to offer up his new friends' names to the Dark Lord and lose everything again.

And of course, Dumbledore's Golden Boy would have lines and lines of Aurors and future Aurors waiting to sacrifice themselves for the boy. He might as well transport his friends to Death himself. As arrogant and egoistical the boy is, he is just that--a boy.

Therefore, it all falls to Snape to save others' souls, and stain his already tainted one.

Chapter End Notes:
Please review! :)

Stuffed Snape for all reviewers!