Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
All my thanks to my wonderful Beta, Alethea27. Last Friday marked one year since I started posting this storyand I just want to thank all of you you have read, favorited, left reviews and stuck by when I didn't post any new chapters for months on end. Thank you all for your support. For fans of the loveable Weasley Twins, their concerned adoptive brother sides are well feature in this chapter. I don't think they got enough of that side of them shown in the books and movies as it should have been. There may be the feeling of slight Ron and Hermione neglecting but that's intentional I assure you. The title for this chapter comes from the same titled 7th track of the Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban soundtrack.
Chapter 12 A Window to the Past

When he opened his door and found the wolf on the other side, Severus felt conflicting emotions. Part of him wanted to slam the door right in his face. But the other part had a feeling he knew why he was here. Severus had not seen or spoken to Remus since the Order meeting several days ago. Remus had inferred that Severus was worried about Harry's living situation with his aunt and uncle and about the dangers that awaited him due to the Dark Lord and his trial.

Without a word, Severus opened the door and stood aside to allow Remus entry. Remus nodded to the Potions Master as he walked past him and into the small entry way. As he closed the door, he noticed the former professor looking around. Had Black accompanied his friend, Severus was positive the Marauder would have been making fun of his living conditions even before he walked across the threshold. Both he and Potter took pleasure in pointing out the negative aspects of his life in their youths. No comment came from Remus however.

"To what do I owe this pleasure," Severus asked as he walked into the small sitting room followed by Remus. He stood by the fireplace and crossed his arms. Remus merely stood by the small couch.

"Come now Severus," Remus said as he leaned on his cane, "no need to pretend you don't own that high IQ we both know you possess. I've come about Harry. And…I also believe you have a few questions for me as well."

Severus knew he was referring to him knowing about his feelings for Lily. He did not know if he wanted to talk about Lily with Lupin. The revaluation Remus made about knowing about his feelings for Lily had left Severus truly shaken. It was difficult talking about the women he had fallen in love with. His memories of the short happy times they shared together always led to the memory of calling her that horrid name. That one act destroyed not only their lives but her son's as well. Pushing the hurtful thoughts aside, Severus realized Remus had moved over to the largest of his book cases.

"You have quit the collection Severus," Remus said as he looked over the extensive collection of books and tomes. "I dare say you even put Hogwarts' Library to shame. Several of these titles are out of print and quite valuable."

"I would appreciate it if you didn't get paw prints over my possessions Lupin. As you said, several of them are quit valuable and irreplaceable."

Remus just smiled as he faced his former colleague. It slightly annoyed him that he never could bait the wolf like Black. Verbal comments never seem to affect him. If they did, he did not show it.

"I believe other matters pertaining to Potter brought you here."

"Yes. May I sit down?"

Severus gave a curt nod as he motioned for Remus to take a seat on the small couch while he took his usual chair.

The two wizards sat in silence for what seemed like ages. Severus did not know how to start the conversation. He had never had a truly civil conversation with the man before. To Severus, there was too much history between them. During their Hogwarts days, Severus never spoke to him unless it was to hurl a jinx at him or a discreet comment about his lycanthropy. With the end of the first war, they never saw each other until the Headmaster hired him for the Defense Against the Dark Arts position. Remus always acted politely towards him and spoke to him in a friendly manner, but he never returned the gesture. He spoke to the werewolf only when needed with the occasional mocking comments about his infliction.

"I'm afraid, Severus. I fear Harry's been severely neglected by his relatives," Remus suddenly stated which brought Snape out of his thoughts. "And that's the worst of what I fear. I saw several…I saw things at Number 4 which alarmed me. What I saw in that house made me realize how little I…we really know about his life during the summer holidays."

Severus noted Remus spoke with an almost hallowed tone. The man looked like he was becoming more haggard as he spoke. It was obvious to Snape that Lupin was still reeling from his monthly transformation. The man was sporting a few new scares across his face and He looked so weak that a simple stunning charm might have the same effect as the Killing Curse.

"Why come to me?" Severus asked as Remus he took a moment to collect himself. "Why not go to Black or Dumbledore?"

"I know how you felt about James but, I also know how you felt about Lily. I suspect that's part of the reason you were there that night. I have a feeling you saw just as much and more as I did. So Severus, is it true?" Is…is Harry being abused?"

"Yes," the Potions Master said simply.

The remaining color from Remus' face drained away. He would have slid right off the couch if he hadn't used his remaining strength to grip on the couch arm. Remus closed his eyes and placed his face in his hands, agony etched across it. Severus could feel the pity flowing from him and it made him feel uncomfortable. Rising, he went over to his small desk under the window and pulled open a draw to take out a glass phial.

"Here," he said as he held the phial to Remus. "It's a calming draft."

Remus took the offered potion and downed it in a one gulp. "Thank you," he said placing the empty phial down.

"I've failed Harry. How could I have been so blind? He told me he was being neglected and I didn't listen."

"Your concerns are well warranted, but you're not the only one who's failed Potter. I think the blame can be shared by several others included myself."

He saw Remus was giving him a knowing look and Severus turned his back on him and bowed his head. The next words he would say would be among the hardest he ever would say. Deep down, he wanted to keep them locked away so he would not feel the pain and guilt eat away at his soul. He especially never thought he would say then aloud and to Lupin of all people. Yet the ex-Defense teacher had already shown he could keep secrets, his feelings for Lily specifically. Letting out a deep sight, the Potions Professor raised his head and looked at Remus.

"You are correct in your assumptions about my personal feelings for Lily. I loved her and still do to this day. When the Headmaster told me that she had died and her son would need protection from the Dark Lord when he eventually returned, he asked me to protect him. I agreed but only after I made him swear not to tell anyone, Potter especially, about it. I should have seen the signs better then anyone. I've dealt with it more than the other houses combined."

"If I may, how did you come to be at Privet Drive?"

"The Headmaster," Severus answered. He hesitated for a moment, wondering how much he should tell Remus. "You cannot repeat what I tell you to anyone, especially Black."

"I swear Severus."

"Several days ago, the Dark Lord asked me to get closer to Potter. Despite his knowledge of my…disapproval of Potter, he instructed me to find a way of gaining his trust. He knew that after the events of the Triwizard Tournament Dumbledore would be on his guard regarding the boy and limit contact to him. I was to find a way of having the Headmaster put me in regular contact with him and slowly gain his trust. Once I had succeeded, I was to inform the Dark Lord and wait for his instructions."

"Regarding when you're to delivery Harry to Voldemort," Remus concluded. It was easy for the elder Order member to understand what Voldemort was planning. Voldemort knew he would have to be more cunning if he wanted Harry brought to him. The hardest part was getting Harry away from Dumbledore's protection. After the affair with Barty Crouch Jr. posing as Alastor Moody, the Headmaster was not going to allow just anyone near Harry.

Severus nodded. "The Headmaster had already been informed by Arabella of her misgivings about Potter's home life so he sent me to observe the Potter's home. Later, I was to inform the Dark Lord that I had been charged with watching Potter as the start of meeting his demands. It also allowed me not to jeopardize my position as a spy. I spent the better half of the next day at Privet Drive monitoring Potter and his family. And what I saw…"

His voice trailed away. He could not find the words to express what he saw. Each image that came to mind struck him in the stomach like a centaur's hoof. Looking in the mirror, he saw Remus had a look of distress on his pale face. Suddenly, he knew how he could tell what he saw without having to speak. Severus went over to the nearby book shelf and tapped his wand against a set of books to reveal a false panel that opened showing his personal Pensive.

"I stored my memory of that day in here for the Headmaster to view when I got back to Hogwarts," the Potions Master exclaimed as he sat the Pensive down before the former Marauder. "Go on."

Seeing the serious look on the man's face, Remus got the feeling the scenes he was about to witness were not going to be pleasant. With a solemn nod, Remus leaned over, placed his face into shimmering liquid, and entered the Pensieve.

----------

"Are you sure you're feeling all right dear?" Molly Weasley asked as she placed her hand on Harry's forehead.

"I'm fine Mrs. Weasley," Harry burbled as she placed both hands on his cheeks.

Ron's mother was having them dedoxcify the dining room curtains after they became infested by a new cluster of the pests. Before they could apply the first spray of Doxycide, one of doxies flew up Harry's sleeve. He tried to shake it out to keep it from biting him but he could feel it traveling up his sleeve. Finally, it popped out the top, Ron sprayed it, and it fell to the floor. Unfortunately, Ron had sprayed Harry in the face with the Doxycide as well. In a coughing fit, Harry lost his balance and fell to the ground. Before Ron, his siblings or Hermione could help him up, Mrs. Weasley swooped down and helped him up and started checking to see if he was alright.

"You're sure the doxy didn't bite you? Fred, bring me the anti-doxy venom," she ordered as she started to roll up his sleeve."

"I'm not Fred, I'm-"

"This isn't the time Fred!" Mrs. Weasley snapped.

"Mrs. Weasley, please…" Harry pleaded. "I'm alright. Trust me."

Molly did not pay attention as she looked all over his arm for any possible signs of doxy bites. When she had finished, she looked over Harry. "Well you do look a little pale and it seems the doxy didn't bite you…why don't you go on up and lay down for a bit? I'll have one of the boys come tell you when supper is ready."

Harry agreed if only to get away from Molly's suffocating hold. Leaving his friends, Harry headed up to his shared room. As he started to climb the stairs, Harry found himself gripping the rail to keep his balance which he attributed to the lack of sleep he had experienced every night. It took a lot of his energy to keep going, not to mention to make it appear that he was well rested thanks to the glamours his body was putting up. Every night, the dream of the long stone hallway plagued him now with no sound or flashes of light but always ending before he could open the large door at the end. The second round of dreams shifted between the night in the graveyard, his parents, the upcoming trial and the Wizarding Word finding out their beloved Boy Who Lived could not protect himself from his Muggle Uncle's attacks. .

He heard Kreacher's low grumbling coming from the drawing room as he reached the second floor and he continued on. He had no desire to see what the elf was up too. Harry could not help but get an uneasy feeling every time the elf skulled into a room. Lately, the ancient elf had taken to saving any Black relic he could get his hands on, much to Sirius' irritation. Every time his Godfather caught the elf trying to smuggle out a former passion of his parents, Sirius would snatch it away and rant about how horrid they had been both in person and personality. That got old really fast. While he could understand Sirius' dislike of his family's background, Harry could not help but think the man was acting in a reverse of his family's beliefs. Instead of hating Mudbloods and Muggleborns, the former Marauder had a severe hatred for any and all Dark Wizards, no matter what their blood status. During the time they spent together talking, it was very evident to Harry that his Godfather longed for the days of his youth before his imprisonment. Talk of James eventually led to comparisons between father and son with the son feeling increasing insecure with himself. Harry loved hearing about his dad but hated being compared to him and Sirius did not seem to understand that.

By the time he reached his room, Harry felt totally exhausted and collapsed on the covers. Gradually, his mind began to wonder. It wandered through scenes of his friends to his parents to Hogwarts and all the good times he had had. The images and feelings would not last long.

----------

When Remus withdrew from the Pensieve, Severus was afraid the man was going to transform right there and then. His normally calm features where twisted in anger and his mouth was set in a vicious snarl. "How-Dare-They!"Remus forcibly said through clutched teeth. "If I ever get my hands on them-"

"You'll spend the rest of your life in Azkaban. Which most likely wouldn't be too long if the Ministry condemns you to the Dementor's Kiss," Severus concluded.

The former Marauder looked at the Potions Master with a look that said he did not care about the consequences of his possible actions towards the Dursleys. But seeing the stern but knowledgeable expression in the onyx eyes brought the man back to earth. Falling back onto the couch, Remus accepted a small glass of amber liquid from Severus. After taking a taste, he found it was not Firewhisky but regular Muggle whisky.

"You stated Potter had already informed you about being neglected, but you didn't listen," Severus said as he sat in his chair besides the fire. "Can you please expand on that?"

Remus nodded and took another sip before starting. "Since Harry wasn't allowed to go to Hogsmeade during his third year, he would come and visit me. During our time together, we talked about many things, but the one area Harry pressed me for the most was information about his parents. He would engage me with hundreds of questions about them. At the time it thought it was perfectly understandable but later I noticed that for every question he had about James, he had five more about Lily. I could understand how he wouldn't know anything about his father, but I thought he would know about Lily since he was living with her sister. Yet I merely assumed that his aunt found it hard to talk about her sister. But now, I realize the signs were right there in front of me and I didn't see them."

The Potions Master set his glass down and steepled his fingers. "What are these signs you've already allured to?"

----------

He was in a dimly light room. The only light came from the fire place on the far wall as the touches along the wall were unlit. Harry sat deep in thought for some time. Arching his hands, Harry noticed how long and spindly his fingers were as well as an unnatural white. All was well. Everyone had their orders and his plans were running smoothly. That news filled him with glee but it was a cold dark glee.

A knock at the door interrupted broke his concentration, causing his face to break out in a scowl. With a sudden wave of his hand, the door opened an in hurried a small hunch figure who jumped when the door slammed shut behind him. Harry narrowed his eyes as Pettigrew made his way over to him and bowed. Speaking in a high cold voice, Harry demanded to know what was so important to disturbed him.

Quivering, his servant stated that the message he had been waiting for had arrived and extended a sealed piece of parchment with a silver hand. Taking the scroll, another smile grew on his face for he felt he knew what the message was going to say. It was going to state that he had a new group of powerful allies to join him in his crusade. But as he read the response, his glee turned to pure anger. The offer of alliance had been denied. A wave of rage filled magic flooded the room, causing the fireplace and the barren touches to suddenly come alive in violent and roaring flames, throwing the entire chamber into light and searing heat. Fearing Harry's rage, Pettigrew ran from the room terrified. As the flames died down, Harry heard a low hiss and saw the large green snake slither to him from its resting place beside the throne he now saw he had been sitting on.

"I must leave at once Nagini," Harry stated in parseltongue. "I must learn the reason for this insult."

"Am I to come?" the snake hissed.

"No. You shall remain here, my friend, to act as my eyes. I shouldn't be gone too long. "

"Yes, master."

As Harry the left to prepare for his journey, he caught a glimpse of his reflection in a dusty and cracked mirror on the wall. Harry let out a scream as he saw Lord Voldemort looking back at him.

----------

"Harry! Wake up Harry!"

Someone was shaking him. Harry awoke to find Fred and George looking down at him with worry on their faces.

"It's alright, Harry. It's us," George said as let go of Harry's shoulders.

"You alright, Harry?" Fred asked uneasily as Harry pushed himself up.

"Ye…yeah, Harry answered as he rubbed his forehead. His scar was burning slightly, just like it had the previous summer. He also felt the cool sweat that had formed on his forehead as well. "It…it was nothing, Just a bad dream."

The twins exchanged looks of uncertainty as Harry got up off the bed. "You were thrashing a lot when we came in," George stated.

"And you were sweating a lot too" Fred added.

"Not to mention your scar was really red," George said as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"And-"

"Guys stop!" Harry shouted as he dropped his head. He did not want to talk about the dream he had. How could he tell them he'd dreamt he was Voldemort? How would they react? They would think he was going crazy. No. No one could know. Harry suddenly realized how quit Fred and George had become. It was a rare occurrence when the Weasley twins were quiet. Looking up, he saw the twins were biting their lips and where wearing the same looks of worry on their faces. Harry felt a twinge of pain. Fred and George were only trying to make sure he was okay. As long as he known them, the twins were always there for him trying to make sure he was okay and help him if he needed it. "Fred, George, I'm sorry. I…I didn't mean to yell," Harry apologized with a small smile. "It was just a simple bad dream. Nothing else."

Fred and George returned the smile but the action was not the trademark Weasley Twin smile. But neither one made another comment about the state they found their adopted brother in.

"Mum sent us to tell you supper is ready," George said as he went over and opened the door.

"And word to the wise, she's on the warpath again." Fred said as he wrapped an arm around Harry's shoulder and led him out. "She walked in on Mundungus trying to hide another bunch of cauldrons and a suit of enchanted armor in the scullery. She went to hex him and then the suit came alive and started to swing it's axe and Mum had to blast the thing to stop it 'cause Mundungus didn't know how to stop it in the first place."

"So now he's got a nice little bump on his forehead and Mum's one step away for hexing the next person who sneezes," George concluded as he placed his arm around Harry.

Harry let out a light laugh as he allowed the twins to lead him down to the kitchen. Only a small part of him was looking forward to the meal. While he loved Mrs. Weasley's cooking, Harry found himself notable to eat much and it was not due to the third and fourth helpings he was always served. His stomach had been acting up and it made it difficult to eat everything that was placed in front of him. Harry just attributed it to his worries about the trial and Voldemort.

'An upset stomach and constant tried feelings are nothing to worry about," Harry thought to himself.

----------

"…And during all that time, he never talked about his relatives. Whenever I would ask him about them, he never gave me a complete answer. He never went into detail about them. All he ever told me was his aunt was a member of several community groups and his uncle worked for a firm that made drills. Harry never said anything about family holidays or anything like that."

"A classic sign," Severus sighed. "Abused children refrain from talking about their living situations. They're afraid that if they let slip any possible hint of the abuse that their abuser will find out."

For the past several hours, the two wizards had sat and had the difficult task of discussing the Boy Who Lived and the abuse he most likely had been suffering at the hands of his relatives. It had been a highly difficult subject to talk about and the more they talked about it, the more they realized Harry had been showing signs as early as his First year. Yet in the time they spent talking, neither one brought up the subject of Lily.

"Merlin…," Remus sighed. "What do we do now Severus? Do we go to Albus? The Weasleys? Do we…say something to Harry first?"

Rising, Severus poured himself another drink. By now the whisky tumbler was nearly empty. "We can't confront Potter as of now. If we do, he'll deny everything and shut everyone out. As for the Headmaster, I think it best if we go to Minerva first."

"Minerva?" Remus asked.

"A few days ago, I spoke to her about this matter and she was not pleased. Apparently she had severe misgivings about the Dursley since the first time she laid eyes on them. After that, the three of us will go to the Headmaster. We should do that before informing the Weasleys. Going to them without Dumbledore will do more harm than good especially when Molly hears about this. She'll do more harm to the boy then good trying to comfort him.

"True. What about Sirius?" Remus asked cautiously. "He'll not be pleased if he feels we've left him out of this."

Remus had hit upon a good point. Sirius Black could just as dangerous to tell as Molly Weasley. "While he is Potter's Godfather, we both know if he hears about even the slightest mistreatment of the boy at the hands of his uncle and aunt, he'll recklessly seek them out and truly earn a place in Azkaban and the Dementor's Kiss. He needs to be told in the presence of the Headmaster so he can restrain him from acting on his first careless impulse."

"That's true," the elder Gryffindor acknowledged. It was a hard truth but one he knew was true.

"I think that's enough for now Lupin. We'll make arrangements to meet with Minerva and go from there to take the matter to Dumbledore. He needs to be told before Black or the Weasleys. After that, he can figure out the best way of informing Black and the Weasleys and the best way of approaching the subject with Potter."

"Very well," Remus replied as he rose. "I should be getting back to Grimmauld Place. Would you like to come for supper? Molly's making pork chops tonight?"

"Not tonight," Severus answered as he led Remus to the door. "I have other matters that require my attention."

Remus nodded, knowing the man was referring to matters relating to Voldemort. He knew it was better not to press the matter. He knew the Potions Master walked a dangerous path.

Neither one spoke as Severus led them into the small entry way. Severus opened the door for Remus. After each man gave a courteous nod to the other, Remus walked out. Just as the door was about to close, Remus turned back and called out, "Severus."

"Yes?"

"She cared a great deal for you, too. It took her some time but she was able to forgive you for that day. I know she's thankful for everything you've done so far for her son."

Severus was too stunned to reply. He just watched as the Remus gave him another nod and started down the street, still using cane for support. Once he had turned the corner and was out of sight, Severus finally closed the door and returned to the sitting room. He did not sit down. Rather, he walked over to the fireplace gazed into the flames of the fire he had created some time ago. His mind was a whirlwind of information. She had forgiven him. He wondered what may have been had he known that before hand and what their future may have been like. Suddenly, Severus felt his Dark Mark come alive. Its sensation told him the Dark Lord wanted to speak with him immediately and privately. Occluding the events of the past few hours, he apparated to the dark wizard's side.

To be continued...
Chapter End Notes:
As always, I look forward to your reviews. I had a bout of writer's block when it came to Remus and Severus discussing Harry. I didn't know if I wanted to talk through every single detail or not. In the end, I figured that many of the facts are already well known by you, the readers, so I concluded to have Remus bring up the details he did and leave the rest to the imagination for now. Many of those matters will be discuses in greater detail in the later chapters. I also had to fine tune the how to bring Harry under Severus' care part so it made sense. And as you may have guessed, I have a thing with Fred and George. They will come to play a big part in the near future.

Next chapter, the all special Death Eater and Voldemort chapter! The main plot of the chapter: Voldemort and Severus travel to Transylvania and meet with the Vampire Count and Vampire Lords. The next chapter may be a while but do hang on. I think it will be well worth the wait.