Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter. If I did, then things would be a whole lot different.

First off, let me thank my new Beta for this story, Alethea27. Her quick skills allowed me to edit this chapter and get it-up for you so soon. Thanks for all your reviews and understandings about the trouble I’ve been having with this story. I do hate making you having to wait so long for new chapters. This chapter takes place the day after the last chapter and will occur the same day as the opening day of the first chapter of Order of the Phoenix. However, it will mainly focus on Snape and Dumbledore. We all know too well the Dementor Attack on Harry and Dudley so I won’t cover that. I do combine elements of both the first chapter and the movie for the scenes dealing with Harry.
Chapter 5, Tell Me Lies, Sweet Little Lies

Albus Dumbledore had a very bad headache and nothing seemed to help. The dosage of the headache-reliving potion that Severus had made for him did not seem to work. Even his beloved lemon drops did not help as he brought his hands and began rubbing his temples in an attempt to relive the pain. From his perch, Fawkes let out a calming note and the Headmaster felt the pain lessening. For the past two days, things had not gone well for him.

He had managed to track down his former Potions Master, Horace Slughorn, two days ago. After talking to him for several hours, he still could not persuade Horace to provide him with the memory about young Tom Riddle he believed the man held. Upon returning to his office, he was informed by Phineas Nigellu that Severus needed to speak with him immediately.

But since the Headmaster had not returned till ten past three in the morning, he chose to leave it until that morning.But things did not go according to plan. Minerva had come to see him about next term and a substitute for Hagrid. During their lunch together, Kingsley’s lynx Patronus arrived and informed him of the Minister’s plans of removing him from the Wizengamot. He needed to get to the ministry at once. After arriving at the ministry, Albus managed postponed the council’s vote. The debate that came next lasted for two hours. Albus was slightly happy to find there were those on the Wizengamot who felt Fudge had gone too far with his smear campaign. He also saw that Fudge did have a considerable number of members on his side and so he chose to voluntary step-down from the Wizengamot. It was not until he left and was walking back to the lift that he saw that door to the Department of Mysteries and suspected automatically what Voldemort’s true plans must be.

It was only a theory and though most of his theories turned out to be true, he still would need Severus to provide him with details from the Dark Lord. After leaving the ministry, he went to Number 12 Grimmauld Place to inform those present of this new development with Fudge. After dealing with several Order-related matters and listening to Sirius’ ranting again about him trusting Snape, the Headmaster discussed arranging Harry‘s eventual retrieval with Sirius, Remus, Arthur and Molly.

Returning to his office, he was surprised to find Minerva waiting for him. She told him that Severus needed to speak with him about what he had seen at Harry's home after he returned from the Malfoy’s. Albus waited with the Gryffindor Head of House till Severus’ silver doe Patronus appeared, telling him he had been summoned by Voldemort. Albus would have to wait to talk about Harry.

He waited patiently for the Potions Master to arrive. He had half expected to find the man waiting for him in his office when he woke-up., but all he found was the morning mail. For, Albus spent the entire morning in his office. Looking at his clock, he saw that it was half past two.

‘I wonder what's keeping him? I guess he's teaching me a lesson about keeping someone waiting,' Dumbledore thought to himself as he looked for something to occupy himself.

His weary blue eyes fell across the Daily Prophet that had arrived that morning and saw the headline was not about him, but about the Boy Who Lived. Without reading the article, Albus already knew Cornelius was now stirring-up trouble for Harry.  Another calming note from his concerned-looking phoenix brought a small but empty smile to the ancient looking face.

"I suppose that the time for telling Harry the truth is drawing nearer," Albus said to himself, "How I wish I didn't have too." 

Rubbing his lined face, the aged wizard decided that flooing to the Potions Master's quarters would perhaps be better. Just as he stood, his fireplace came alive with emerald flames and a haggard looking Severus Snape exited the flames.

"Good afternoon Severus," the Headmaster said as the man took a seat before his desk, "I starting to worry."

"It was a long night Albus," Snap replied as he sat down across from the Headmaster, "a very long night."

Seeing the dark circles under his eyes, Albus believed him.

"I trust your dinner with Lucius and his family was the more pleasant part of your evening?"

"You might say that. Lucius did try to get me to reveal what the Dark Lord spoke to me about and then I found myself looking over Draco's summer assignment. All in the course of keeping-up appearances."

Albus could hear the contempt again in Severus' voice as he spoke of his evening with the Malfoys. When he had finished his report, the Headmaster felt they needed some refreshments. With a wave of his wand, Albus conjured up a tea tray and poured the Head of Slytherin a cup.

"I read in the Prophet this morning that you removed yourself from the Wizengamot," Severus remarked as he took a sip, "You should know that Lucius helped push Fudge into that direction."

Albus shook his head, "I would be surprised to learn that he didn't have some small role in that affair my boy. Now before we discuss about Harry, would you please tell me of your meeting with Tom?"

The only reply was a simple nod. Setting down his tea cup, Severus began to recount the events to Albus.

---------- 

Late Last Night...

When Severus apparated to the summoning area, he did so in a cloud of billowing black smoke. Normal apparition and dissipation involved just a simple popping sound but to make his Death Eaters appear even more menacing, Voldemort had them apply this effect. As a counter the Death Eaters, Albus had Order members do the same but with white mist. Looking around, he saw that he was at the Abby Ruins located in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk. The Ruins were claimed to be haunted by Muggles and at times, Voldemort chose such locations because if they happened to be seen by Muggles, they would assume they were seeing ghosts.

The sound of a long cloak trailing along the ground caught Severus' attention. Turing, he saw a hooded figure coming towards him, causing him to drop to his knee and bow his head.

Voldemort casually made his way towards him. He wore the hood of his black cloak over his head but his scarlet eyes were clearly visible in the darkness the hood cast his face in.

"Raise, my friend," Voldemort beckoned to the kneeling Potions Master. 

"My Lord."Rising, Severus took his place at the Dark Lord's left side. They continued to walk along the moldering abbey ruins. The light of the moon overhead made Voldemort's chalk-white skin glow in the dark. Severus made sure that his mind was securely occluded incase the dark wizard decided to probe it.

"How was your dinner with the Malfoys?" The man that had been Tom Riddle asked after several minutes.

"It was pleasant My Lord, "Severus replied as he felt his mind being intruded upon. Thanks to great skills, the memory of his conversation with Lucius in the library was the last scene the Dark Lord experienced before he withdrew.

"So loyal Lucius was trying to find out the task I had charged you with," Voldemort purred with amusement.

"Yes my Lord. But I told him that you had forbidden me to speak of it to anyone. No doubt he feels that you favor me more than you do him even though I appeared to have supported Dumbledore during the time of your...exile."

"Your loyalty to me is indestructible dear Severus. You've shown your loyalty to me beyond my expectations"

Deep inside, Severus' insides churned at the praise that had been placed upon him. He wanted to vomit when he felt the spindly long fingers clasp him on the shoulder but he kept his face in a neutral expression as he bowed his head.

 "Thank you my Lord. I'm honored to serve you."

Voldemort merely smiled as he let go of Snape's shoulder. "Ah dear Narcissa," Voldemort said casually as he thought on Snape's memory, "It's been too long since I've enjoyed the pleasure of her company. Had I not been preoccupied with other matters, I would have truly enjoyed taking Lucius up on his offer of dinner with you all tonight. But perhaps another time."

"I look forward to such a time my Lord."

"Of course, it may be considered a family reunion when it comes." 

"A family reunion my Lord," Snape asked, "Can I take it that you've gained the support of the Dementors?"

Voldemort chuckled but it was an empty cold chuckled, "No, my friend but I foresee that soon. While all of you were dining, I was meeting with Mcnair about the subject. But when they do pledge their support to me, they will need to appear that they still serve the Ministry. But while we wait for those who have remained faithful to me rejoin us, we will begin to carry out my true plan."

Severus could hear the joy in the cold voice.

"Has the fool mentioned what he assumes my true goals are when you spoke with him last Severus?" Voldemort asked the Potions Master referring to Dumbledore.

"No My Lord, Dumbledore is still completely in the dark as to your possible intention." Risking the punishment of the Cruciatus Curse, Snape decided to ask the next logical question, "If I may My Lord, what might that be?" He saw Voldemort's long spider-like fingers pull out the yew wand that had ended so many lives and readied himself for the pain of the Cruciatus. But the wand was never pointed at him but held lightly at Voldemort's side. The snake-like face filled with dark glee as the lipless mouth formed a grin.

"Once my imprisoned loyal followers are freed and returned to my side, I will finish what you began all those years ago Severus. My Death Eaters shall retrieve me the copy of the prophecy that lies within the Department of Mysteries. I will finally learn the full prophecy that supposedly predicts my downfall by our young Mr. Potter and I will finally understand how to kill Harry Potter once and for all."

Snape was speechless. The truth of the dark wizard's plan astounded him. To steal from the Department of Mysteries was insane. Finally, he found his voice.

"And how-"

"All in good time Severus," Voldemort interjected.

"I'm sure, My Lord that you will succeed.

The Dark Lord did not reply to the praise. Instead he began to circle Snape like a Great White Shark.  Severus felt the scarlet eyes on him.

"And now Severus," Voldemort began as he circled the Potions Master, "what progress have you made with regards to the task I bestowed upon you? Have you had a chance to speak to that Muggle loving old fool?"

"I spoke with Dumbledore three days ago and I gave him the information you had provided me with. He did not question it. He was, of course, more than willing to rave about his precious golden Harry Potter. When I suggested that the boy was of average talent at best and in no way capable of handling the more advance techniques of Defense and Dueling that I excel at, Dumbledore countered with how he thought the spoiled brat was capable due to his so called outcomes which I attributed to sheer dumb luck. By doing this, I was able to plant the idea of him having me aide the boy in these areas. Of course it won't matter because Potter is simply not capable of such feats." 

Voldemort did not reply right away but stopped moving. He stood and appeared to be thinking about what the man whom he considered his loyal spy had said. Just as Snape was starting to grow concerned, the high cold voice broke the silence. "It is a start for now Severus but I expect better from you in the future. You must find a way of getting closer to the boy and the sooner the better."

"Yes, my Lord. I think I see of a way of doing so without raising suspicion. Dumbledore told me than that he was planning on having Order members watch the boy's home during the summer. I made sure to appear angry when he told me I would be doing it, too, but I eventually told him that I would. I can't ask him to watch over the boy too often for it would look suspicious to him and those in the Order. But I shall play my role of loyal servant well and get myself posted at the brat's home as often as possible. From there, I shall work my way closer to Potter and then when the time comes, he shall be yours my Lord."

A thin smile appeared upon the snake-like face. "Excellent," he hissed, "everything is then proceeding as planned," Voldemort let out a high-pitched cackle that chilled Severus to his bones as they continued among the ruins.

----------

 "Then I was correct," Albus said, stroking his beard, "Tom is after the full prophecy. We must now take the proper procedures to protect it."

Severus set his cup of tea down and crossed his arms, and stared at the Headmaster. "Exactly how long were you sitting on this idea, Albus? Please spare me your usual speech that you only had a notion about what the Dark Lord's plans were."

"But I'm afraid that's all I had my dear boy," Severus winced at being addressed by the term, "I had a number of theories along with this innovation about what Tom was planning. It wasn't till I saw the door leading to the Department of Mysteries that I came to the conclusion that Tom would want to learn the full prophecy first before he could continue with his plans. But I still need you to get Riddle to confirm it somehow."

The explanation was a typical Albus response. The truth wrapped within layers of deception. Albus was good at keeping facts to himself. He could understand how Dumbledore could do this with the Order at times but he wished that he would not do so with him. If the aged wizard truly trusted the former Death Eater as he always declared, then the lest he could do was be honest with his theories

"What do you plan on doing about the prophecy then Headmaster?"

"For now, the prophecy is safe within the Ministry but it would be best if the Order adds it's own protection as well. I'll bring the issue-up at the meeting tomorrow night."

The Potions Master knew that was all Albus would say on the matter tonight and that was fine with him Even with knowing what the Dark Lord's intentions were, he was amazed that he found himself more concerned with the situation with Potter than with the Dark Lord. He hoped that he could finally show the Headmaster his memory of his visit and decide what should be done.

"Now Severus, I understand you wished to speak to me regarding your visit to Harry's home the other day." 

"Yes Albus. Something in that home is not right."

----------

Harry walked down the street, not caring where his feet led him but keeping an eye out for any strange individuals who might be following him or stalking about the neighborhood. Even though the Headmaster had, insured him at the end of last term that the location of his relative's home was a securely kept secret, he had taken his wand with him.

The weather today was vastly different then from two days ago. Rather than pouring cold rain, it was an extremely hot day. Many people had their windows opened in an attempt to cool their homes and the sounds of running fans and air-conditioner units could be heard. Harry had tried to listen to the afternoon news report while he was cleaning the sitting room in hopes of hearing of any strange events that might be due to Death Eater activity. However his Uncle Vernon had noticed him lingering about and all but shoved him outside. Harry had laid under the open front window to hear the report, but by the end of the newscast, Harry had not learned of anything odd. Harry was content to lay in the cool shade but hearing his Aunt and Uncle beginning to talking about him made Harry get-up and go for a walk.

Harry had crossed Magnolia Crescent a few minutes ago. As he walked, a discarded newspaper had fluttered across the sidewalk and came to a stop at his feet. Seeing that it was today's paper, Harry picked it up, hoping that there was something in there that could give him a clue about what was going on. So far, he still had not received any mail from either of his friends or Sirius.  Looking around, he saw that he was now at the neighborhood playground. There were only a few young kids playing on the merry-go-round and they paid Harry no attention. Harry sat down on an empty swing and looked over the paper. The swings had always been Harry's favorite thing to play on. He loved the feeling when was little that made him feel like he was flying.

There were no reports of any type of strange events or deaths. Harry did not know if he should be relived or worried about this. While he realized that Voldemort and his Death Eaters would want to keep a low profile as much as possible, he figured that something would have caught the attention of the Muggle press. Folding the paper, Harry looked down at the ground.

‘I just want someone to tell me something,' Harry thought to himself, ‘I need to know what's happening out there. I hope I can get out of here soon. I want to be with my friends. I need to see Sirius.'

Looking back up, Harry saw the kids being led off by their mothers. The all too familiar feeling of want and pain crept into Harry's heart. Too many times the Boy Who Lived had witnessed scenes like that and deeply wished he could be in those children's place.

As he sat in the swing, thinking about getting back to Number 4 before it got dark, Harry heard several loud voices coming towards him. Looking to his right, Harry saw a sight he did not wish to see. He saw his cousin Dudley and his gang heading towards him.

‘Just what I need. What else could go wrong today?"

---------- 

"There was no suggestion whatsoever that Potter even lives in that house Albus. They have no pictures of him along with the rest of the family anywhere."

For the past hour, Severus had revealed to Albus everything he'd witnessed at Number 4. He recounted everything that Arabella had confided in him as well. Severus had not shown the Headmaster his memory however. He wanted to wait and see what the man's reaction was first. If Dumbledore took a position of not accepting the facts, then the Potions Master would then take the Headmaster down to his chambers and shove the ancient wizard into his Pensieve so he could witness the events first hand.

Dumbledore did not respond right away. He stroked his long white beard for a couple moments before steepling his hands and bringing them-up to his chine. Severus saw the blue eyes held no twinkle in them. They were cast down at the table, focused on nothing in-particular. Almost five minutes passed before he brought his hands back down and looked-up at his former student.

"These are serious accusations Severus," he said in a grim tone.

"I would not make them if I wasn't positive about them," Severus spat back, "I know the signs Albus. Do I really have to remind you of the number of abused and neglected students that have passed through my house over the years?"

"No I do not doubt you there Severus but this is a different situation. The blood wards are the best protection for Harry. I'm afraid there has to be more concrete facts then just your single observation to remove Harry from relative's care."

Severus rolled his eyes and stood. He began to pace before the Headmaster, his robes billowing behind him. "They may protect him from outside forces Albus but how about inside forces?" He stopped and looked at the seated wizard, "Potter may be in even greater danger from his own Uncle then from a surprise attack from the Dark Lord or his Death Eaters."

"I'm sure that Vernon Dursley wouldn't-"

"The man is abusive Albus, both physical and most especially verbal. That combined with his drinking habits can only lead to danger for Potter. I'll show you my complete memory of the events in my Pensieve it if that's what it takes for you to get Potter out of that house."

Albus raised an eyebrow at the man. "Such concern for Harry all of a sudden Severus?."

Severus crossed his arms. "I promised to protect Lily's child Albus. Just as you coned me into it all those years ago. For the past four years, I've protected the boy ever since he came to this school. This is not any different."

Albus smiled a little. "But it is my boy."

Before Severus could form a counter response, one of Albus' small silver instruments on the shelves went off, letting out a high pitched whistle. Dumbledore shot out of his chair and got to the table with such speed that it astonished the Slytherin Head of House. 

"What is it Albus," the Potions Master asked when he saw the Headmaster's grim expression as he removed the instrument and placed it on a small table in the center of the room..

"It's an alarm. Harry has just performed some form of magic."

"Leave it to Potter to break the rules-"Severus began before the sharp penetrating gaze of the Headmaster's blue eyes silenced him. Even as he had began to speak, Severus heard the small voice in his head suggesting that the boy may have had a perfectly legitimate reason for performing whatever spell he did. ‘He does have a power crazed psychopath after him after all.'

"Can you find out what spell or form of magic the boy performed?"

"This should tell us," Dumbledore replied as he pulled out his wand and tapped the instrument with it. A billowing cloud of white mist escaped from the top and formed into a magnificent sliver stag. Both wizards started as it took off in a full gallop and took off across the room and left through the window.

"Harry cast his Patronus," Albus said as he watched the stag disappear into the night.

"But why would Potter cast his Patronus charm unless..."

Severus trailed off as his black eyes found Albus' worried filled blue ones. They had both reached the same conclusion.

"You are confident that Tom spoke the truth about not having recruited the Dementors?"

"Yes Albus. If he had recruited the Dementors, he would have summoned us to-"

The sudden roaring of emerald flames interrupted the two wizard's conversation. Turning towards the floo, they saw the worried and shocked face of Arabella Figg in the flames. Before Dumbledore could address her, she started to speak in a slightly uneven tone.

"Albus, Harry and his cousin where just attacked by two Dementors. They just appeared and went straight for them and his cousin was severely affected them. Luckily Harry managed to drive them off before one of them could perform the Kiss on the boy. I escorted them back home and told Harry that you had assigned me to watch him. To be honest, I think he was hurt that I couldn't have told him more when he was younger."

"Thank you Arabella. You did the right thing. Please return to watching Harry's home for any further signs of trouble. If it appears that something is happening, please contact Headquarters."

"Yes Albus," Arabella replied and withdrew her head withdrew from the flames.

No sooner had the flames died down then a silver Lynx jumped through the window and stopped before the Headmaster. It opened its mouth and the deep voice of Kingsley Shacklebolt spoke, "Albus, the Ministry just expelled Harry for performing Underage Magic. They're going to snap his wand. You must come immediately! I've already alerted Arthur and he promised to inform Sirius and that they'll send Harry messages to stay put and not surrender his wand once you arrive. You must hurry!"The Lynx disappeared. 

Before Albus could respond, the Potions reached over and threw a handful of powder into the floo. "Go," Severus shouted.

Without hesitation, Dumbledore swept past the Potions Master and disappeared in the emerald flames. Once the flames had died down, Severus strode over to the window, his arms behind his back and his black cloak fluttering behind him. Once he reached the window, he crossed his arms across his chest and looked out into the night sky.

The sky was clear and was lit-up by the endless number of stars and the light of the moon. As he scanned the stars, he could not help but letting his mind from ponder on everything that had happened. How could things have change so drastically in just a few short days for the man? All he wanted was to head for his summer residence in Spinner End and not have to deal with the boy for two glorious Potter-free months. Now, he was more concerned with the fact the Harry had been attacked by Dementors.

Harry? When did he suddenly become Harry all of a sudden? Snape almost missed that small fact as he thought over this new development. But no, he had called the boy by his first name.  Severus then thought back to Albus' comment that this level of concern for the boy's well being was different from his promise to keep him safe. Could there have been some truth to that conclusion after all?

"Blasted, melding, senile, old codger," Severus mumbled as he patiently waited for the Headmaster's return and hoped that the Dark Lord did not learn of the attack till tomorrow so he could somehow manage to get a somewhat decent night's sleep at least once this week.

Chapter End Notes:
Please don’t forget to leave me your wonderful reviews.
I’m look forward to reading your reviews for this chapter. I do appreciate the ones that you left for the last three un-edited chapters. Even with my many grammar and spelling mistakes, you all seemed to enjoy them a great dear.
I’ve been wondering if you think I’ve spent too much time on Snape then on Harry. The more I hear from you, the more I know if you like what I’m writing or if I’m becoming predicable and boring. So let me know what you think.
The location I selected for the meeting between Severus and Voldemort is a real location in Britain which many do believe is haunted. I thought it would be fun to use a real world location and use it for Harry Potter like how J. K. Rowling did. I also structured Voldemort’s dialog and actions on scenes involving Darth Sidious (Palpatine) and his two of his apprentices, Darth Tyranus and Darth Vader from Episodes II and III.
As for Voldemort waiting till he has broken out Bellatrix and rest of the Death Eaters out of Azkaban to retrieve the Prophecy while he was trying to get to it even before the break out that will be address that issue in the coming chapters. Again, I will use a mixture of the book and movie along with my own unique ideas added into the mix.
Also, I won’t repeat scenes from the book and movie word from word. Like I stated in the opening Author’s Note, many scenes are just too well know and long to recap in their entirety. Repeating the actions of such scenes seems like a waste of time personally. Most often, I’ll just dive into the middle of the action then start from the beginning. If I did it that way, the chapters would be too long.
Anyway, I’m hard at work on the next chapter which will follow the course of the novel the movie. So until then, please don’t forget to let me know what you think. And, I thank you all.