Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Absolutely LOVE that you all love the story! I am working hard to keep updating, and am having no trouble doing so :)! This story is so much fun that I am literally too excited to go to sleep!

Alright down to business now...in this chapter Harry is playing a more important role (that continues through) we also find that little Severus has a secret sweet tooth :D Please Read and Review!
Of Green Eyes and Chocolate Frogs

Chapter Three

Snape…the little boy that had come to him looking so adorable in a pair of plaid pajamas…was Severus Snape dungeon bat of Hogwarts. Harry didn’t even know what to think…he knew that he had a great hatred for Snape, but this little version was almost too adorable to resist! He was so small and had these big dark eyes that just melted the heart of anyone in the room. Harry had always been a sucker for children, and the fact that Severus Snape was now a cute, toddling, four year old…all the years of hatred were slowly melting away. Especially since it appeared that Severus had absolutely no memory of them whatsoever.

“I just wanted to find my mummy, sir…” he heard little Severus sniffle to the Headmaster. “Am I in trouble?”

Harry watched as little Severus’s chin began to quiver and his dark eyes swelled with tears. Merlin, how could Dumbledore stand to watch this little boy cry? It was heartbreaking enough for Harry to watch! Everything in his body was telling him to reach forward and coddle the little one, but then he remembered that Snape no longer knew him and might not appreciate that kind of interaction.

“Severus running off like that was a very bad thing to do,” the Headmaster continued sternly. “And I want you to promise me, little one, that you will never do such a thing again.”

Severus nodded, tears rolling down his face, and breaths coming out in short gasps. He really didn’t like getting into trouble, he knew that Professor Dumbledore was speaking to him in a way he rarely heard at home…but it still left him with a yucky feeling in his tummy. He looked up at Harry that was watching him a bit sadly; Severus hoped that he didn’t make his new friend upset either! Severus didn’t have any friends and already he had gotten one and lost one!

“I…I…am sorry sir…” he cried softly. “I…I just want mummy…”

Harry’s eyes took on a look of hurt and he looked up at the Headmaster…already he knew what had been left unsaid. Snape was one of the younger teachers, but no one knew whether or not he still had parents, and it was apparent that he didn’t.

“Severus your mummy is in heaven-

-But…but she never said goodbye!” he cried.

Harry gently reached forward and placed a hand on the small boy’s shoulder. He was sure this must be one Hell of a day for the past potions master. Harry watched as Severus looked back and more tears slid down the little child’s face. Without another thought Harry scooped him up and held him on his lap. He knew what it felt like to not have parents…he knew that kind of pain. And it inflicted him when he was four as well.

Severus had been shocked when Harry had pulled him up into his arms. He wasn’t used to that kind of treatment, more or less just a smack and his father telling him that he needed to get over whatever was ailing him. Closing his eyes into Harry’s shirt he sniffled and tried to calm himself. Crying was bad, crying just got him into more trouble, but with his mummy gone he couldn’t help it! He just missed her so much!

“I…I…I don’t wanna….cry…I…I’m sorry…”

Harry shook his head and hushed the little boy. If Severus Snape had been back in his thirties he would never believe this story, not in a million years. Harry would have never suspected Severus Snape as a man that had a single emotion. He typically believed that Snape was the person that chose to crush and kill all sense of emotion.

“It’s okay Prof-…Severus…” he corrected quickly. “Everything will be okay.”

Gently taking his sleeve Harry wiped the tears from the little one’s cheeks. He was sure that this was all some crazy dream. Was he really comforting his rival Professor? Was he feeling sympathy for the man that had caused him so much grief during his past four years at Hogwarts? He supposed he was, and Harry damned anyone else that questioned him about it.

“So, Severus,” he said, a bit hesitantly. “I know you got in trouble, but since you are so sad…I think you deserve a chocolate.”

Severus looked up at Harry and sniffled softly. Him? Get a chocolate? But he was a bad boy…and the only thing that naughty little boys got was a spanking…not candy. He supposed that Harry wasn’t familiar with the fathering thing, after all he was still a student. Maybe when he was older he would learn how to treat children. However, Severus was a bit hungry…and a chocolate sounded very nice at the moment. His mummy gave him chocolates that were shaped like frogs. They hopped and would jump onto his head and make him giggle.

However he wasn’t sure if Professor Dumbledore would be happy about him having chocolate. He had run away and apparently that wasn’t allowed.

“Professor Dumbledore?” Harry asked warmly. “Is it okay if he has a chocolate frog? I got tons from the…well…you know.”

Albus looked down at the little boy nestled on Harry’s lap. He supposed that one chocolate frog would not hurt, and after the ordeal Severus had gone through something warm and sweet in his tummy might help him feel a little better. Chocolate did wonders on the heart and soul…ironically enough, adult Severus did not really like chocolate.

“I suppose Severus can have one chocolate frog.” The Headmaster said with a small smile.

Severus’s eyes lit up at the mention of him being allowed to have a sugary treat. He rarely ever got to eat candy, only when mummy could sneak it…and now he was able to eat chocolate without fear of being swatted or thrown against the wall.

“Okay, Severus…let me just-“ he broke off briefly, adjusting Severus on his lap so that he could reach down into his bag. “Hmm…it has to be in here somewhere?”

He smiled, teasing Severus gently as he continued to dig through his satchel. Really he had found the frogs the moment his hand had gone into the crowded fabric of the bag. 

“Did you find it Harry?” Severus prodded, giggling slightly. “Cast a spell, cast a spell!”

Harry smiled and grabbing a frog brought his hands behind his back.

“Okay, Severus…which hand has the frog.”

Severus pursed his lips in thought….trying to determine if he saw Harry put the frog in one hand or the other. He just had to pick the right hand; he wanted his chocolate so bad! Biting his lower lip he held his little hand up to select which arm Harry held his candy with.

“Umm…the left?”

Smiling Harry quickly switched the candy over and nodded. Bringing the chocolate to him he gently unwrapped it and let it hop around in his hand. Severus giggled and moved his head so that it could hop on top and sit against his black hair. He looked to Harry and watched as his new friend began laughing out loud. He hoped that he wasn’t making fun of him…He hadn’t meant to make a fool out of himself.

“You are absolutely sweet…no need to add the chocolate to your head, Severus.”

Smiling slightly he removed the chocolate from his head and bit off the head. All in all it was the more humane way to eat a chocolate frog. When one thought about it, if you started at the legs you left the poor thing a cripple. However the head was quick and clean and death was assured instantly…no pain or agony, just yummy chocolate goodness.

“Jeez Sev,” Harry smirked. “Way to take no prisoners with that frog.”

Smiling Severus brought the bottom half the frog towards his lips.

“Wan som?” he asked; his mouth full of candy.

“Umm…no thanks…been trying to cut back.”

Severus nodded and swallowing leaned back into Harry’s chest. He was awfully comfortable on his lap; he hoped that he wouldn’t leave. Severus had never had a friend like Harry that brought him candy and held him when he was sad. It was nice to have someone be there when he felt all alone, and he wasn’t ready to give that up just yet.

“Harry?” he said turning to face him. “Are we friends now?”

“Absolutely!” Harry beamed, his green eyes shining brightly. “And you will have to meet my two other friends Ron and Hermione…Mione will absolutely fall in love with you.”

Hermione had many awful experiences with the Potions Master when he was an adult, but he was certain that when she saw him as a child all of that would be forgotten. After all his friend was far more forgiving than he was. He wouldn’t even be surprised if Hermione died of shock when she heard that he was being so kind and forgiving to the little boy in front of him.

“Mione?” he repeated. “She has a nice name…I don’t like mine.”

Harry frowned as Severus took on a more crestfallen expression and looked down. He knew what that felt like too. Names brought on a lot of judgement…none of them deserved of fair when it came to people such as himself and possibly Snape. Although he didn’t know too much about his professor he had heard that he hadn’t the best life…to which Harry can relate. He often wished to find someone that could justly sympathize with his situation, but that person never came. Perhaps he could be that person for Professor Snape…and maybe when he changed back, if he ever changed back…things would be different.

“Why do you hate your name, Severus?” he asked, gently moving several strands of black hair behind his little ears.

“It’s…mean…and father yells it a lot. I’m just sick of hearing it.” He whispered.

“Oh…well then lets pick a nickname for you, Severus.” Harry said with a smile.

“A nickname?” Severus repeated.

Harry nodded.

“Yeah, something that people can call you that YOU like…how about Sev? Or maybe Sevvy…”

Severus paused in thought wondering which one sounded less mean. He liked Sevvy, but only because it was so close to Harry’s name. They both ended in Y and that was super cool! He wanted to grow up and be like Harry, just like Harry!

“I like Sevvy, Harry.” Severus beamed. “I wanna be Sevvy now.”

Harry smiled and nodded…it was a cute name for a cute little boy. Something simple and sweet that would no doubt help everyone see Snape in a new, brighter, light. Harry was the unlucky one, his name didn’t have many nicknames associated with it…only ones he had no desire of keeping. Harry was just Harry…he couldn’t have a nickname…although Sirius called him scamp occasionally, but that was different. He really was “Just Harry” the boy who bloody lived.

“Harry,” Severus cooed softly. “My name’s close to yours now! I have a Y in it too!”

Harry’s eyes lit up and he smiled enthusiastically at Severus as he bounced in his lap. Maybe sugar wasn’t the best idea for Severus. He did seem a lot more talkative with that little frog in his tummy, but Harry couldn’t be having any more fun. Severus was practically bouncing off the walls and he only had ONE chocolate frog.

“Albus, Harry is so funny!” he laughed. “Sooo funny!”

“Is he?” the Headmaster chuckled from his desk. “What makes you say that.”

Severus giggled and shrugged…he wasn’t sure why Harry was funny…he just made him laugh. As a matter of fact everything seemed funny to him at the present moment. Especially Headmaster Dumbledore! His robes were bright purple with stars all over them! They looked like pajamas! Why was the Headmaster wearing his jammies in the middle of the day?

“Professor Dumbledore?” Harry chuckled. “Have you given thought to who is going to take care of getting Severus’s clothes? And…t-o-y-s?”

Harry wasn’t sure how little Severus would react to getting toys when he was a mile high on sugar. This kid was walking on sweet sunshine, and he wasn’t going to aggravate it with promises of toys. Especially when he wasn’t sure if the Headmaster had any money for children’s toys…maybe Harry would be able to pick up a few things in Diagon Alley. Toys weren’t expensive by any means, and maybe he could find Sevvy some nice story books as well…but then something else occurred to him…he didn’t even know where Severus was staying! He hoped that Dumbledore would be keeping him, the boy deserved to have a nice home…not one like he apparently used to have. He also wouldn’t mind having Severus somewhere he would be able to visit…and if Dumbledore had custody he was certain that he would be able to see little Sevvy at least once during Summer break.

“Sir? Who is going to be taking care of Sevvy?”

Dumbledore smiled and stood from his desk. Now was the perfect time to relay his news…but as he thought more on it another idea sprung into his head…perhaps Harry would like to live with Sirius as well. Of course he knew that he would like to…it had just been out of the question at one time. However Dumbledore didn’t see as much harm in it now as he once had…he would have to discuss it with the other Order members before he took action.

“Actually Harry, why don’t you accompany Severus and I to his new home…” he said smiling. “You can help Severus settle in and make sure he is comfortable.”

That…and the sight of his god-son might soften up the guardian of the little Sevvy Snape.

Chapter End Notes:
Please Read and Review...but no flames :)