Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
In order to make certain events in this chapter plausible, I had to go back and make minor changes to Severus' back story.

Please leave non flamitory reviews!
The Unexpected Visitors

 


That Same Night

The Slytherin dorms were very quiet. While everyone else was fast asleep, a meeting was taking place in the common room. It wasn’t yet midnight so they weren’t breaking any rules.

“Aubrey, please take the glamor off, I’m getting a headache from it.” Ambrosias said rubbing his eyes. Next to the twin sat his vampire mate- to- be. Stella. She appeared to be affected by the magic too. To their eyes it was like seeing two versions of Aubrey blend together, and they found it pretty disorienting. When the spell was canceled, both vamps breathed a sigh of relief.

“I really wish you didn’t have to take up that phoney moniker again." Darcy said frowning at his friend.

“Well, if I had a choice I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I’m not about to cause the wide-spread panic for the sake of my own comfort...or yours.”

“How very Gryffendor-ish of you, brother.” Darcy said with a look of disdain. “Why should you risk your neck for these people? What has this Wizarding world done for you? I know how you feel about everyone staring at you and falling at your feet. You once told me that you hated all the attention you get from something you did as a baby. By all rights you should be able to throw off this facade and be Aubrey Snape and not Harry Bloody Potter.”

Aubrey sighed. “Yeah, but if it were revealed that I’m not the real Harry Potter, then Neville Longbottom would be the logical target. He was born just a few days ahead of me. And we’ve all seen how well he does in defense class. He’d not survive for more then a minute, and that’s if he runs.”

Darcy’s eyes lit up. “Maybe that’s it. With all of us teaching him he’d be up to snuff in no time. Then he could take up the role and you’d be free of it.”

Aubrey looked at his best friend. “Look I’ve been through a lot and its more then Neville could handle. I wouldn’t wish it on any of you least of all Longbottom.”

Not far from them, hidden in the darkness of the stair case, Theodore Knott’s eyes widened. He backed away slowly and headed up to his dorm room. His father would want to hear of this immediately!

At the same moment, both vamps stood to their feet and hissed softly. Making the spy flinch and head back up the stairs as quiietly as he could.

The rest of the group looked at their friends in surprise and then a second later, Kelly came into the common room. She noted the stress on Ambrosius and Stella’s faces.

She herself looked really happy, though she tried to hide it behind her concern. “What’s going on?”

“Our coven is...we must go.” In the next second, they sped out of the common room at unnatural speed. In minutes they were out on the grounds and soon found their coven surrounding two men who were both leveling weapons of their own.

They soon joined ranks with their brethren and stared with avid curiosity at the strangely dressed men.

“Who are you!” demanded Darius (the head of the coven) “You’ve invaded protected grounds. State your purpose, stranger.”

The older of the two men, was of obvously Irsih decent and had a well groomed head of brown hair that came down to his neck and a  beard to match. He was of average height and dressed in aged trousers and a green jerkin over a white shirt. A golden madallion around his neck. Finishing it all off was well worn traveling boots. He stood calmly as though he was certain he'd be unharmed.. “We are not your enemies, I’m Turlough and I come at the behest of Tierney head of our clan...to meet one Severus Snape.”

“Snape is my father.” Ambrosius stated. “It’s the middle of the night, he’ll be fast asleep. What do you want with him?”

“To inspect him. Bridgett is of our clan and I'm responsible for her. He is courting her and I’ve come to judge his worthiness. How is it you’re his son. I was not aware that he was a Bithbheo.”

Hearing the strange name, Ambrosius looked to Darius.

“Severus isn’t a vampire. His son was bitten by a rouge and turned. But he’s only half a vampire. His magical core prevented it. Why do you come here in the middle of the night?”

"Because this is where he lives. If he wishes to court his love, he must pass my standards. Its the way of our clan...and he must put up with me.” Here he grinned with amusement. "I shall see just what ingrediants this teacher of potions is made of.”

“You come at Bridgett's behest?” Said a silky voice that made Ambrosius turn.

Severus looked steadily at the Irishmen.

A few moments passed as the two men looked at each other.

“No, at the behest of our clan leader. Bridgett and her daughter came to us and was welcomed into our clan. Our leader has invoked his right to test the heart and meddle of the man she has chosen. You shall not be allowed to bind yourself to her until I am satisfied that you are worthy of her.”

“She said nothing of this to me. I am not a man to be trifled with. Prove you are who you say you are.”

“He’s telling the truth sir.” came a new voice. They all turned to see Kelly who was warmly wrapped in her thick green cloak and matching boots. She was not alone, for both Draco and Aubrey walked behind her, wands at the ready.

Snape put a hand on her shoulder. “You knew of this, young lady?”

Kelly nodded as she walked toward the young man. “They’re from my people. Mum tried to dissuade them from coming, she felt the courtship guidelines were unnecessary for her.”

“She went through the cleansing rituals and is a brand new member of our clan. Therefore, her relationship with you is new as well, before I allow her to be ‘courted’ by you, you must prove yourself to me first. Only then, will you have the blessing of our clan and be acknowledged by us.”

Severus was stunned by the little speech. He finally nodded in acceptance and then looked at the other boy standing by the irishman. Unlike his companion, he was dressed in a black button up shirt and trousers aroudn his neck he wore a madalion with a varrying crest on it. Also, this boy was about Aubrey’s ane and had shaggy brown hair with reddish looking highlights. Like the other boys he stood ready with a sword infront of him, as if waiting for an attack. But his eyes were on Kelly and a smile was tugging at the corners of his lips. “And who is this young man?”

“I am Bryan.” he said never taking his eyes from Kelly. “I am already a man in the sight of my kinsmen...we will be bonded as soon as she comes of age.” Saying this he looked his love in the eyes. Why do you hide the mark I gave you?”

Severus flinched hearing that his student had been marked.

“You marked her?”

Darius shook her head. “Not that kind of mark. This is an intimate one...I sense no evil on her.”

Kelly blushed and mimed a sweep in front of her forehead. Instantly a shimmery golden brown tattoo appeared. It looked like a upside down tiara with an intricate woven design.

With a glance at his own son and student, they lowered their wands. Then he turned to the visitor. “I’m a private man. If you would, I would continue this conversation in my quarters.”

The older man inclilned his head and followed with everyone following behind them.

When the other’s had turned to leave, Bryan held his beau close and gently kissed her marking. “It is nothing to be ashamed of, by bride, it only brings out the inner beauty inside you.”

kelly was speechless as the kiss continued down from her marking to her jaw and then her lips. They stayed this way reafirming their love for eachother. When the moment passed, they parted but held hands as they followed to where Ambrosias and Stella waited for them.

With a glance at the other vamps they escourted the other couple to the castle.

Once they had entered into his sitting room,and had all found a seat, Severus called for Winky. “What can Winky get for you and your guests Master?”

“Butter Beers for the children and A bottle of oak matured mead.”

Winky will bring them right up. Potion master snape!” Then she was gone.

“You own a house elf?” Bryan asked incredulously.

Snape nodded. “Only for her own saftey. After her last master freed her, she was in constant mourning. Drinking everynight until she couldn’t move. I was constantly giving her hangover remedies....but that’sall it did. The only way to stop her was to bind her to myself.”

While they waited Severus turned to look at kelly and then at Turlough. So what is the mark she bears.” Kelly blushing from embarassment curled into bryans side and he put a protective arm around her.

When the two men gave him an inquisitive look. He spoke in reassuring tones. "I’m her head of house as well as her teacher. I’m sworn to look after her while she’s at school.”

Bryan nodded in acceptance.

"'Tis a mark of betrothal. It shows that she’s been chosen. When given in love, it also offers her protection.I infused some of my magic into it, she can’t be harmed while she bears it. Niether curse or hex can touch her...and if she were to be physicly attacked, I’ll know about it the moment it happens. Its not as strong as marriage bonds, but in times of strong emotional upheaval, I can sense exactly what she feels.

“He gave her a chaste kiss.” It’s how I learn her and everything she needs.” Kelly blushed a deeper red and he chuckled softly at her.

Just then, Winky appeared with another elf with a tray of the cold drinks and frosted mugs, charmed to keep the liquids cool. They all thanked the elves and the diminuative creatures dissapperated with a crack.

Severus gave his student another look.

"That’s a quick betrothal period, only a week? Surely they would need more then a week to be sure of their feelings for each other."

The irish man nodded. "That’s another reason for our coming here. Our clan has a tridition. While its true that he’s marked her as his, our clan demands that they may nod enter marital bonds or rituals till a full year has passed. It’s to be sure that the marrage wasn’t coerced because of an unexpected pregnancy or on a whim. Divorce is looked down upon by our people. Once you and your beloved make that commitment the both of your are bound to it for the rest of your lives. The same will go for you and Bridget as well. We will both be about till the full year is up."

Severus grimaced. He’d have to be scrutinized for an entire year? Still Bridget was his love now, she was definitely well worth the potential headache that this ritual would cause.

He looked at Turlough. “Very well, what must I do to satisfy your clan’s demands?”

You must comply with a clensing ritual. "It's a way to start fresh, then you must once again, declare your intentions to Bridget and I. Then the one year trail will begin. During the year, I will be keeping an eye on you. When you two interact I shall watch from a distance.

Severus blanched. “You can’t be serious?”

Aubrey was doing his best to hide his snicker.

“I couln’t be more serious. Courtship is taken very seriously among us. Are you still willing to go through with the rituals?

Severus frowned. Of course, but only for Bridget. "Tell me, can this bathing ritual of yours get rid of all types of impurity?”

The men scrutinized eachother. It depends on the impurity. If you be hiding anything of Evil’s caress, you’d best let me know now before this goes any further.”

Severus sighed. "In my youth I was quite foolish. I joined a group of other equally misguided youths in a club, known as the death eaters. I’ve never regretted one act so much. My late wife and son paid for my sins. They were both killed when Lusicous destroyed my cover."

While he spoke these words he took of his teaching robes, down to his own button down shirt and pulled back the sleve on his left arm. Revealing the mark.

“I’ve never wanted to be rid of this mark more then I do now. I would do anything to banish it.”.

Turlough examined it. “And you’ve renounced this Dark Lord?”

“A thousand times over. Can it be done?”

The irish man gently probed the mark...sensing everything about it.”

"This was made by dark magic.. its not like a Muggle tattoo. It can be unmade by white magic. That you would willingly speak of it now, infront of everyone does much to reassure me of your worthiness. It must be done infront of both me and yer bonny lass. It works best at night when it’s more private.”

Tommorow night. "I wish to be clensed as soon as possible. I’m not patrolling then. I can get one of the other staff to watch over my students while i’m gone.”

Severus allowed himself a yawn. If you wouldn’t mind, I would like to turn in. I still have a day of teaching ahead of me. I will have to inform the headmaster, of these changes.

Bryan chuckled softly and so did the Irishman. "That’s taken care of...Dumbdledore already knows of me being here." 

Severus looked dumbstuck. Surely you jest!"

Turlough’s eyes sparkled. "Not at all. As we speak, he’s having a spare room in your so called Room of Requirement prepared for our stay." 

Severus cursed softly.

Now that he thought of it, that old codger would have made himself known by now. The castle had been intruded by two strangers....

Damn that crusty old man!

The irish man laughed with merriment.

It was going to be a long year....words would be had when morning came.

He frowned at his kids who looked just as shocked as he.

They all shook their heads as they had no idea this was going to happen. “You all need to be in bed, its past your curfew.”

They were headed for the door in mere seconds.

As the other’s departed for the boy’s dorms, Bryan pulled Kelly close and kissed her again before holding her close. He spoke now in their clan's language. " I’ll be awaiting you in the morning, my love."

Kelly had tears in her eyes. "I’m so sorry for hiding my mark. it’ll not happen again. She replied in the same dialect.

Bryan kissed the mark again causing it to glow just a little bit. “Real love holds no records of wrongs. Now, go sleep, you’ve got schooling tomorrow.” His rich accent captured her heart even more then the first time she’d heard it. And she kissed him back.

“Till morning, my warrior.”

He grinned. “May St. Bridget guard your dreams.”

Severus cleared his throat breaking up another kiss and grinning sheepishly she hurried to her own dorm.

He shook his head and turned to lead the two men to the third floor

Chapter End Notes:
Yeah, I know...poor Severus. *wicked grin*