Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Four

The days leading up to the first day Harry would set foot within Hogwarts and not see it in near ruins went by so quickly that Harry felt as if he barely blinked and the month of August had disappeared. It was so surreal; never before has Harry felt as though a month living with his relatives would go by so quickly.

His aunt and uncle, like last time, ignored his very existence as the days leading up to the first day of school came and went. Before Harry knew it, he was grabbing the trunk he bought that was filled with his clothes, which mostly consisted of Dudley’s hand-me-downs, and his books as well as Hedwig’s cage and making his way after his aunt, uncle and cousin as they walked to their car.

Both Petunia and Vernon weren’t too happy; however, they weren’t complaining about taking Harry to King’s Cross. The car drive to King’s Cross was filled with a stony silence and Harry could feel the anticipation in the air as if his aunt and uncle were looking forward to getting rid of Harry for the next nine months. Like last time, Harry was planning on staying at Hogwarts during the winter break after all.

When they reached King’s Cross, Harry followed his aunt and uncle as they walked toward Platform Nine pushing his trunk and Hedwig’s cage in front of him. His wand was in his pocket but Harry made sure it wasn’t in his back pocket so he wouldn’t accidentally break it. That was the last thing he needed; a broken wand when he hadn’t even started Hogwarts yet. It was bad enough he broke his wand during the hunt for the horcruxes and he was only lucky he became the master of the Elder Wand or else he would never have fixed his wand.

Petunia sneered at the platform. "You can go by yourself from here," she said curtly. "We don’t know where this stupid platform 9 ¾ is anyway."

Liar, Harry thought remembering that Petunia had gone with Lily when she went to Hogwarts for the first time; he remembered seeing that particular scene in Snape’s memories. He merely nodded and made his way toward the platform, briefly wondering if he would run into Ron like last time.

His question was answered a moment later.

"But mum, I wanna go," the strangely familiar voice of a much younger Ginny Weasley protested as Harry pushed his stuff toward the stone wall in between platforms nine and ten.

"I know, Ginny, but you’ll get to go next year," Mrs. Weasley’s familiar voice sounded and Harry remembered one of the last times he saw Mrs. Weasley before he was sent to the past and that was when Mrs. Weasley killed Bellatrix.

"Not my daughter, you bitch!" Mrs. Weasley had shouted before she attacked Bellatrix and Harry had been amazed by her sheer courage and the amount of anger within her voice when she attacked the insane dark witch. That had been just before Harry revealed that he was still alive and dueled Voldemort.

Harry pushed those memories to the back of his mind as he examined the stone wall with feigned confusion in his eyes.

Mrs. Weasley glanced at him as if just noticing he was there. "First time too?" she asked and Harry nodded.

"It’s Ron’s first time too," Mrs. Weasley said nodding to the familiar freckle faced form of Ron Weasley, Harry’s first Hogwarts friend last time. "We’ll let Percy go first and then you just follow their example."

Harry nodded before watching as Percy pushed his trolley through the stone wall and disappeared. Fred and George followed him and Ron glanced at Harry as Mrs. Weasley said, "Why don’t you two go together?"

"All right mum," Ron said and Harry nodded once in reply before he and Ron ran together through the stone wall and onto platform 9 ¾.

Mrs. Weasley and Ginny arrived just after them.

Ron glanced at Harry. "Let’s get on the train before all the compartments are taken," he suggested.

Harry nodded before the two of them made their way to the train and, after putting their stuff away, made their way to the doors leading into the train. Ron was stopped by his mother who gave him a hug and reminded him to behave and write to her and Ron’s father. Fred, Harry smiled inwardly at seeing the prankster and George’s twin brother whom he last saw getting killed during the Battle of Hogwarts, poked his head out of the window.

"Don’t worry Ginny," he called, "we’ll write you…"

"…about Hogwarts all the time," George called poking his head out of the window beside his twin.

"We’ll even…"

"…Send you a Hogwarts toilet seat."

Harry resisted the urge to laugh as he remembered those were almost exactly what the twins said last time.

"Fred! George!" Mrs. Weasley admonished them.

"Sorry mum," the twins replied before their heads disappeared.

Harry followed Ron into the train before they made their way through the crowd before they found an empty compartment and slipped into it before they took their seats. The train started moving and Harry found his gaze drifting to the landscape that blurred by and remembered that the last time he road on the Hogwarts Express was before sixth year.

"Would you like anything from the candy trolley, boys?" the snack lady asked as she pushed the trolley past their compartment door.

Harry got a few chocolate frogs and Ron got a few bunch of snacks and Harry ate one of the chocolate frogs before examining the card that came with it. Surprisingly, unlike last time, this time the card was one of Rowena Ravenclaw.

"What card did you get?" Ron asked curiously glancing at him.

Harry glanced up at him. "Rowena Ravenclaw. Who’s that?" he asked pretending to not know about the four houses.

Ron frowned. "She’s one of the founders of the four houses," he replied. "You don’t know about the four houses?"

Harry shook his head.

"Oh, well there are four houses. There’s Gryffindor, where the brave go, Ravenclaw, where the people who like to study go, Hufflepuff, where the loyal go or, as my brother says, where the leftovers go, and Slytherin." The way Ron said Slytherin told Harry that Ron was prejudice against Slytherin like last time.

"Oh."

"What house do you think you’ll be in?" Ron asked.

"I dunno." And he wasn’t exactly lying because Harry really did have no idea of what house he would be placed in this time. He also knew that if he got into Slytherin, as the hat had wanted last time, then Snape would owe him five Galleons and that made him smile inwardly.

"Oh. I don’t care but I’ll probably get in Gryffindor ‘cause that’s where everyone in my family goes. I would hate to get put into Slytherin though."

"Why?"

"’Cause You-Know-Who came from Slytherin and that house filled with future dark wizards and arrogant prats," Ron said curtly.

Yup, same old Ron Weasley, Harry thought. "You-Know-Who?" he said forcing himself to sound confused.

"You don’t know who You-Know-Who is?" Ron exclaimed.

Harry did know, because Remus told him when he told Harry about his parents’ sacrifice and because he was from the future, but he merely shook his head.

"He’s an evil dark wizard who was defeated ten years ago," Ron said. "Are you sure you didn’t hear about him?"

Harry frowned. "I think I remember Mr. Lupin talk to me about him when we went to Diagon Alley," he said finally deciding that this would be a good time to put that in but he also decided that he would not tell Ron that he was the Boy-Who-Lived.

"Oh…" Ron broke off when the door slide open and Draco Malfoy appeared beyond the door with Crabbe and Goyle just behind him.

Harry quickly thought of how to use this to his advantage. He knew that Malfoy became a Death Eater in the future and he wondered if Snape would want to stop that from happening, considering what Voldemort would try to force Draco to do at the end of Harry’s sixth year. He decided that he would try to befriend Draco while get him to not insult Ron as he had last time.

"Everyone said you where in here, Potter," Draco said smugly.

Ron’s eyes went as wide as the moon.

Harry frowned. "How’d you know who I was?" he asked.

"Your pictures all over the Daily Prophet," Draco replied with a shrug. "I also remember you from Madame Malkins."

"Draco right?" Harry asked.

Draco nodded looking faintly surprised as if he was shocked Harry remembered him. "Yeah," he said before he glanced distastefully at Ron but, before he could say anything, Harry stood up.

"Who are they?" he asked as politely as possible gesturing to Draco’s bodyguards.

"Oh these are Crabbe and Goyle," Draco replied waving his hand almost dismissively.

"Oh. Would you like to sit down?"

Draco curled his lip into a sneer as he examined Ron. "Freckles, red hair, must be a Weasley," he sneered.

Ron glared at him.

Harry glanced at Ron, seeing the distrust in Ron’s eyes and he quickly saw that the situation was spiraling out of control. Dang, how can I change this situation without making it seem as though I’m older than I actual am? He thought desperately.

"What house do you think you’ll be in, Draco?" he asked while he thought about how to change the situation.

"I already know I would be in Slytherin," Draco replied. "What about you?"

Harry shrugged. "Dunno."

Draco nodded. "Would you like to join us, Harry?" he asked.

Harry briefly wondered how he should respond. Last time he had chosen to stay with Ron because Draco had insulted him. "I think I’ll stay here," he replied.

Draco’s eyes narrowed. "Fine," he said before he walked away with Crabbe and Goyle just behind him.

At least we got off on a better foot than last time, Harry mused silently as he sat back in his seat and Ron glanced at him.

"Why were you talking with Malfoy? His father was a big supporter of You-Know-Who, you know."

Harry frowned. "Why should Draco be blamed for what his dad did?" he asked curiously; it was an innocent question and Harry hoped it didn’t sound like a question someone older than him would ask.

Ron seemed to have no answer to that.

-----Page Break----

Severus sat at the staff table as he waited for Minerva to lead the first years into the Great Hall. He narrowed his eyes as he examined Harry; the boy was walking beside Ron Weasley, like last time, but was as silent as ever. Minerva came to a stop beside the hat while the rest of the staff waited for silence.

Severus caught Harry’s eye but, unlike last time, merely inclined his head in polite greeting. Harry nodded once before turning his gaze to Weasley and the other students that stood around him.

Severus heard the staff whispering quietly to each other about the first years, including guessing who would be in what house. It was something they did each year but Severus never played; no matter how many times Albus tried to get him to play.

"All right, when I call your name then come forward," Minerva called after the hat finished its song, which was the same as it was last time. She pulled out the roll of parchment before glancing at it and reading out the first name.

"Bones, Susan."

Susan Bones, whose mother had been murdered by Voldemort last time, Severus remembered, stepped forward before sitting on the stool and Minerva placed the hat on her head.

"HUFFLEPUFF," the hat shouted a few seconds later and cheers erupted from the Hufflepuff table while Susan leapt off the stool and walked to the Hufflepuff table.

The rest of the students were called one by one and, this time, Severus had to admit he was surprised by Miss. Granger’s sorting. When she was called, the bushy haired girl slowly got to her feet before walking to stool and sitting down on the stool. Minerva placed the hat on Granger’s head and, for a long moment, the hat was silent.

"RAVENCLAW!" it shouted, surprising Severus and Harry, who was staring in surprise at Granger as she climbed off the stool and jogged toward the Ravenclaw table while they cheered.

The rest of the sorting went by quickly and, before long, Severus was watching as Minerva called for Harry and the Great Hall fell silent as they watched the Boy-Who-Lived walk to the stool. He sat down on the stool and the hat was placed upon his head.

Severus found he would give anything to hear the conversation between Harry and the Sorting Hat.

-----Page Break-----

Ah, Mr. Potter, it seems so long ago that I sorted you last, the hat said within Harry’s mind.

You know? Harry asked in confusion.

I am a magical hat, boy. Now let’s see, shall you let me decide which house you will be in without your interference? The hat asked curtly and Harry winced when he realized he had done just that the last time because of the prejudice Hagrid and Ron had set in against Slytherin.

Put me in the house you think I’ll do the best in. I won’t fight this time, Harry promised.

Good, good. Now let see. Hmm, as I said last time, you would do great in Slytherin and I stand by my decision now. I predict you will accomplish great things, including your goal, in Slytherin. However, I can see that you have the bravery of a lion, the loyalty of a badger and the wisdom of an eagle. You would do great in all four houses but I know which one I shall place you in. Will you accept my decision, Harry?

Yes.

Very well then. Then, as it should have been last time, it better be…

"SLYTHERIN!" the hat shouted out loud.

Shocked silence filled the entire hall as Minerva removed the hat from Harry’s head before the Slytherin students started cheering. Harry could see both Dumbledore and Snape were staring in shock as he leapt off the stool and made his way toward the Slytherin table.

Ha, Snape owes me five Galleons, he thought as he sat down at the Slytherin table after he was welcomed by a few of the prefects.

Draco moved to sit down beside him after he was sorted. "Welcome to Slytherin, Potter," he said.

"Just call me Harry," Harry said quietly; he decided that he would try to befriend Draco. Perhaps if he became Draco’s friend then he could stop Draco from receiving the Dark Mark and thus preventing what happened at the end of Harry’s sixth year.

"Okay Harry," Draco said smiling.

Harry smiled back. If I can get Draco as a friend then that would hopefully prevent him from taking the Dark Mark, becoming a Death Eater and being charged with the task of killing Dumbledore, he thought.

Ron, like last time, was sorted into Gryffindor but Harry found himself wondering if that was a bad thing. If he thought about it, Ron hadn’t been much help in the future even if he was the one that destroyed Slytherin’s locket and fought in the final battle. Hermione was more helpful but she was no in Ravenclaw. However, there was no rivalry between Slytherin and Ravenclaw so there was a chance that Harry could become friends with Hermione.

However, Ron was a completely different story.

The feast appeared and Harry began eating the instant the plate of food appeared in front of him. He knew that the Dursleys didn’t feed him enough and he only ever got three square meals a day when he was at Hogwarts. He briefly wondered if that would change this time but decided not to worry about that now.

-----Page Break---

Severus was still surprised beyond belief.

When the hat declared that Harry would be placed in Slytherin, Severus could tell he wasn’t the only one who was shocked beyond belief by the hat’s proclamation. Minerva thought for sure that the boy would be placed in her house and even Dumbledore, Pomona and Filius agreed with her.

Bloody hell, that also means I’m out five Galleons, Severus thought musingly before his thoughts turned serious as he added silently, I wonder how things will change now that Harry is in Slytherin.

He strode down the halls of Hogwarts with his black cloak billowing behind him as he made his way toward the dungeons to great his newest Snakes. As he entered the Slytherin common room, he noticed Harry was already talking with Draco and sitting beside him, Crabbe and Goyle. That may prove useful, Severus thought walking over to join the Snakes in the center of the common room.

After greeting the first year Slytherins, informing them of the rules, speaking to them about his office hours and telling them the main rule of Slytherin House; provide a united front. "Remember," he said, "no matter how hard I try to change how the other houses view us, they will continue to be biased. That is why I ask that you prove to the other houses that we will not let what they say about us behind our backs get to us. Am I understood?"

The first year Slytherins nodded.

"Good. Class begin tomorrow so it would be best that you get some sleep to be ready for classes," Severus said before he watched as the Prefects spoke with the first years and pointed them to their dorm rooms. He then turned around and made his way into his office.

Later that day, a knock sounded on his door and Severus, knowing it was Harry by the spelled piece of parchment hanging beside the door that wrote down the name of whoever was at the door, Severus called "Enter!"

The door opened and Harry walked into the office before closing the door behind him. Severus raised his wand before murmuring "muffliato" and casting a few extra privacy charm around his office.

Harry sat down in the chair in front of the desk. "Your letter said you found a horcrux," he said.

Severus nodded. "I have it at my home at the moment," he said, "because I need to find something to destroy it with."

"Basilisk venom can destroy it so can Fiendfyre," Harry said.

"Fiendfyre is too uncontrollable," Severus said. "I would much rather not have my house burned to the ground. As for basilisk venom, I doubt we’ll be able to get the venom from the Chamber of Seccrets."

"We could try," Harry said. "I might be able to speak to the basilisk if I can get to him before Riddle does."

"Do you believe you can convince him to help us?"

"I think so. I know where the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets is though I don’t know how to go there without looking suspicious," Harry admitted.

"We’ll think of something."

"Yeah I guess so."

"You’d best get some sleep, Mr. Potter."

Harry nodded before he got to his feet and walked out of the office.

Chapter End Notes:
And that was chapter 4. I hope that you like it, reviews are much appreciated and thank you to everyone who's read and reviewed this story so far.