Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Later that day, around dinnertime, Severus summoned a bowl of chicken noodle soup and a glass of milk. With the tray in his hand, he quietly entered Harry's new bedroom….
Food and Comfort
Later that day, around dinnertime, Severus summoned a bowl of chicken noodle soup and a glass of milk. With the tray in his hand, he quietly entered Harry's new bedroom. Turning the light on with a quick flick of the wand and then dimming it a bit for the boy on the bed, he then went and placed the tray if food on the bedside table while sitting down in the chair.

Very gently Severus shook the boy's shoulder to wake him. "Po...Harry. Come on Harry; it's time for a little dinner." As the boy woke Severus chastised himself. He had to remember to address the boy by his first name. For one, it reminded him even more that he was not his father. Also, he had noticed that the child flinched every time he called him Potter, probably remembering something unpleasant.

Two weary green eyes were now looking up at him, not really sure what to do. Then, a calloused hand come and rested on Harry's and he had to suppress a flinch.

"It's ok there Harry. I just brought some food that I thought you might be able to stomach better than the food in the great hall."

Harry looked over at the food and could not hide the hunger he felt. A small grumbling sound came from his stomach, and his eyes were watching the food longing evident. Severus had to suppress a sigh at what he saw. No child should ever have to look at food the way this child was. How long had they starved him?

Ignoring those thoughts Severus reached to help the boy sit up in the bed, placing pillows behind him as he did. Harry didn't fight him, knowing that if he just let the man do what he wanted he would get something to eat and he was hungry.

As always the Dursleys had been horrible with food this past summer, but it had seemed worse somehow. Maybe it was because when he had been at Hogwarts last year he had finally been able to eat his fill at every meal and had managed to put on a little weight. Going back to always being hungry after being so well fed had not been easy.

This time when he had come back to Hogwarts the food just did not appeal to him though. Everything made him feel sick to his stomach. He was guessing that it was because it was so rich and his stomach just could not handle it.

Harry's Potions Professor then reached over and grabbed the glass of milk. Extending it to the boy he kept a steady hold on it even when both of the boy's hands reached out to grab it and bring it to his mouth. Severus had to work to make sure the boy did not drink it too fast. Although it was laced with a stomach soother and a mild calming drought that would not stop the boy from throwing it up if he gulped it down to fast.

"Slow down Harry, if you don't it will come right back up."

When Harry made no move to slow down Severus had to pull the glass away from Harry's mouth. As he did so a cry came from the boy and to Harry's shame tears came from his eyes.

Severus saw the tears and quickly tries to soothe the boy. "It's ok Harry. I'm not trying to take it away, I just need you to slow down and take little sips. Too much at one time will make it come right back up. Ok?"

Still tears in his eyes Harry nodded. At the moment he would agree to anything to be able to taste that sweet, cold milk again. Maybe it was the starvation talking, but he felt as if he had never tasted anything so good.

Bringing the glass back up to Harry's mouth Severus let the boy's hands again snake their way around the glass. This time though he made sure to monitor what went into Harry's mouth more closely.

When the glass was drained Severus gently removed it from Harry's hands and placed it on the bedside table next to the tray. He then summoned a mug and carefully poured the bowl of soup into it figuring it would be easier for both of them this way.

Before handing it to the boy and helping him drink it though, he first looked into the boy's eyes. "I need you to pace yourself with this Harry. It has noodles in it because you need something in your stomach besides just liquid. I will not take this away from you, but we shall take breaks every so often. Ok?"

Harry gave a nod and latched onto the mug Severus was holding up to his mouth. The warmth felt so pleasant on his hands, and he suddenly felt really cold. So cold he started to shiver. Severus could not only feel the shivers coming from the boy, but he could see them they were so violent.

As Severus took the mug away from the child's mouth he gave a soft wine and still kept his hands firmly around the mug as if trying to soak the heat out of it.

"It's ok Child. I'm just going to set it down for a moment so we can get you under the covers and get you warm. You can have some more in just a moment."

Reluctantly Harry let go of the mug and Severus placed it back on the tray.

"Ok Harry, I'm going to pick you up for a moment and then set underneath the covers. Ready?"

Harry closed his eyes for a moment, but then nodded. Severus got up from his chair and placed an arm underneath Harry's legs and his other under his back. With a touch of wandless magic Severus pushed the covers to the end of the bed and then gently set the child down. He then pulled the covers up over the child and cast a warming charm on the bed to keep him warm. Again Severus sat down, but this time on the edge of the bed instead of the chair beside it.

"Ready for some more soup?"

Harry eagerly nodded his head so Severus picked the mug up again and placed it near Harry's mouth. The boy's hands again snacked up and grasped the mug as if his life depended on it. When the mug was half-empty, Harry slowed down and eventually stopped sipping. Severus pulled the mug away, and Harry reluctantly let go.

"Are you done Harry?"

A small nod came from the boy.

"Ok, I have to ask you something. This might be hard to talk about, but I need to know so I can help you."

Harry gave another small nod and Severus began to ask what he had wanted to know for the last few hours. He had gone through the diagnostic report to make sure he had not missed anything and had found something he found concerning. It seemed that the boy's stomach lining had been severely damaged, maybe beyond repair.

"Did you throw up a lot when you were your...relatives?"

Looking down at his lap and fiddling with the quilt Harry nodded and began to reveal something that Severus never thought anyone would do to a child or anyone. "Aunt Petunia use to give me a glass of water when I worked in the garden. It always made me feel sick though, and it would later come back up. After a while I didn't want to drink it, but she always stood there and made sure I drank it all."

Severus stared at the boy slightly in shock at what he just heard and furious at what that woman had done to her nephew. He then brought his emotions under control and gently wrapped both his hands around Harry's.

"It seems that what your Aunt was giving you was more than just water, and it has damaged your stomach. I will have to call someone who is more experienced to see what he can do to help. Not Madam Pomfrey, but rather my own doctor. I trust this man with my life, and I know he will be able to help you. Would that be ok, can I give him a call?"

Harry was nervous and scared about seeing a doctor, but his Professor had said that he trusted this man with his life and he was his doctor. Slowly he nodded his head not really sure what he was agreeing to, but if his Professor thought it was a good idea, then he had to agree.

Severus saw the small nod and gave the boy's hands a small squeeze in support. "I'll be right back Harry, do you need anything else?"

A sudden pressure made itself known in Harry's lower stomach and Harry blushed a bit. "I have to use the loo..."

Severus nodded and got up from the bed. "Why don't I take you to the bathroom and then I'll call the Healer?"

Nodding his head Harry made to get up from the bed, but Severus stopped him before he could even swing his feet out of the covers. Harry looked up at Severus confused, not really understanding what was going on.

"Madam Pomfrey put a cast on your ankle, but I don't really want you walking on it just yet. Let me help you."

Without further words, Severus scooped the boy up into his arms as he had earlier. This time without the blanket for it would be a bit cumbersome considering the chore that had to be done. As soon as he was lifted into Severus's arms, Harry made a little squeak in surprise and latched onto Severus's robes as though his life depended on it.

"Easy there Harry, I have you."

Harry buried his face into Severus's robes and was strangely comforted when he realized that he could hear his Professor's heart beating. He had never been held this close to anyone before, and he found that he quite liked it.

Carefully Severus carried the boy to the bathroom and set the boy down on the floor in front of the toilet.

"I'll be right outside if you need me. Just call when you're done and I'll bring you back to bed. Ok?"

"Ok sir."

Severus nodded and shut the door behind him as he left, but stayed near the door for when the boy called. What he heard next though was not a boy yelling for help or else, but rather a crash. Trying not to panic Severus knocked on the door and called for the boy, but when no answer came he opened the door to see what was wrong.

When the door opened what he saw did not bode well. He saw the boy on the floor curled up in a ball with his hands protecting his head and a broken potion bottle that must have been knocked from the tub and shattered. Quickly he moved over to the boy and knelt down beside him careful not to kneel on any of the glass.

"Harry, Child what's wrong?"

"I'm sorry...I'm so sorry..." Harry kept apologizing and sobbing into the floor, absolutely distraught.

"Harry look at me."

Almost hysterical Harry looked up at his Professor expecting to see anger and disappointment. What he saw though was worry and concern etching the lines of Severus's face. Severus rose his wand and Harry cringed knowing that this would be it, his Professor would punish him with magic.

"Watch Harry."

Harry opened his eyes and watched as Severus rose his wand a bit higher and said a quiet "repario". Suddenly, the glass bottle was repaired and the contents were back inside. Harry's eyes widened and intently relaxed when Severus again lowered his wand.

"See Harry, it's all better. Nothing to worry over. Come on let's sit up and see whether you injured yourself."

Harry did as he was told and Severus checked him over head to toe healing the few cuts he saw.

"Did you bump your head at all?"

Shaking his head Harry looked a little ashamed for his latest mistake.

Slightly sighing Severus gently reached out and grabbed Harry's chin forcing him to look into his eyes.

"Did you manage to use the toilet?"

A blush crept up Harry's face as he shook his head no. "I stumbled into the side of the tub before I could."

Severus gave a quick nod and lifted Harry up to his feet. "Let me help you then."

Quickly Severus lifted the lid of the toilet, pulled the boy's pajamas and pants down and then plunked the boy down. He then turned his back to give the boy some privacy. He didn't really want to stay in the room, but he didn't dare leave either after what had just happened.

After Severus heard the flush of the toilet, he turned around and helped the boy down and pulled up his pajamas and pants. He then picked the boy up in his arms and held him close to his chest. Already, he was feeling more protective of this child and he honestly could not believe it. Maybe it was just his love for Lily carrying over to her son, but he knew that was not true. He cared for Harry, because he was Harry, because he was a child who needed to be cared for.

As soon as he had picked up Harry and clutched him to his chest Severus felt a small smile begin to form and stopped it when he felt the boy bury his head in his robes again.

"We're almost back to your room Harry."

Harry nodded into Severus's chest and snuggled a little closer to his Professor if it were possible. Severus then took the few steps it took to go back to the boy's room and when he got there sat down on the bed with the boy now in his lap.

"Do you think I could leave for a few seconds to fetch the Healer I was talking about?"

Severus wasn't really sure he wanted to leave the boy for the few seconds it took to bring Don in here, not after Harry had fallen. The boy said he had not hit his head, but he was still worried knowing that the boy would not disclose everything to his teacher. Plus he had discreetly felt a small lump on the back of the boy's head as he was carrying him.

Embarrassed at being so weak Harry shook his head. He hated being so weak and clingy, but he hated being alone even more. Even if it was just for a few minutes.

Giving a small nod of the head Severus pulled the blanket that had been around the boy earlier in the living room from the side of the bed and wrapped it around Harry again so he would not get a chill. He then fished out a gold chain he had around his neck and pulled a small pendent from beneath his shirt that as shaped like a doe.

"You see this Harry?"

Harry looked at the small pendent with a little awe; he had never seen anything so beautiful. In a few seconds, he closed his mouth grateful that his Professor made no comment about him staring and nodded.

"Well, this is not only for decoration. You see when I hold it close in my hand and say Healer Patterson my healer is called to come to me no matter where I am."

As Severus was telling Harry what the pendent was for he did what was needed to call the healer and in a few seconds Severus heard someone come through the floo. Then, a knock came at the door and a worried call for Severus.

"Please come in Don."

Don entered the room with an eyebrow risen at the softness of Severus's voice. He had never head Severus speak that way especially to him. When he saw a scared looking boy on his lap though he was starting to understand.

Severus had called him once before when an abused girl had been hurt so bad that Severus nor Poppy could help her. Then, too he had used that gentle voice, but it had not been so...caring? If that was the right word for what he was seeing and hearing.

Casually Don strode over to the two on the bed and sat in the chair Severus had vacated earlier.

"Hi there Severus. How are you and who do you have there?"

Severus looked up from the child on his lap and into the Healer's eyes. "I'm fine, I'm more concerned about Harry here. It seems that his Aunt gave him something to damage his stomach lining and I'm worried that it might have damaged his throat as well. You know my diagnostic charm works well with physical wounds, but can sometimes be lacking when it comes to internal."

Don nodded in understanding and held out his hand to Harry. "It's nice to meet you Harry. As you might have figured out my name is Healer Don Patterson, but you may just call me Don."

Harry loosely took Don's hand, and he was surprised to feel a small tingle when he did. When he jumped, a bit Don looked at him with a smile.

"I'm sorry there Harry. Sometimes my healer magic becomes a little eager when it knows that someone near me is hurt."

Don then looked up at Severus and gave him a smile. "Severus do you think you could let Harry sit beside you on the bed? It will be easier to examine him that way."

Severus nodded, but when he tried to move Harry from his lap Harry clutched tightly to his robes. Looking down Severus frowned a bit when he saw the boy's eyes closed tight and heard the small whisper that came from his mouth.

"Please don't leave me."

Stopping his movements immediately Severus hugged the boy close to him. "I'm not leaving you Harry. Like I said earlier I will always be here for you. I just want to sit beside you so that Don can make sure you're all ok. I'll hold your hand the whole time if you want."

Harry nodded looking a bit relieved that the first adult who seemed to really care for him was not leaving him. Slowly his grip on his Professor's robes loosened and Severus eventually transferred the boy to the spot next to him, but firmly kept their hands intertwined.

When Harry was sitting on the bed Don moved the chair a bit so that he was sitting directly in front of the boy and locked eyes with him.

"I'm going to make sure the insides of your belly are ok. You're going to feel that same tingle you felt when you shook my hand. Are you ready?"

Nervously Harry shook his head. And allowed Don to pull the blanket down off his stomach.

"I'm going to have to lift your shirt a bit. If you feel uncomfortable at any time tell me to stop. Ok?"

Again Harry gave a small nod, but then turned his head to hide his face in Severus's side. Severus closed his eyes for a moment and then wrapped his other hand around Harry's shoulders as Don gently lifted the boy's top and felt around his stomach.

The more Don examined the boy. The deeper his frown became. There was much damage and it seemed to be done over years and not just one incident. When he was done, he gently pulled the boy's shirt down and the blanket back up.

"Harry can you look at me?"

Harry removed his face from Severus's side and looked at the Healer.

"You were muggle raised right?"

Harry nodded his head and then looked down at his lap.

"Don't worry Harry, you have done nothing wrong. Quite the contrary, your family has done something very wrong. Did your Aunt ever give you something that smelled kind of like a pool?"

"I've never been to a pool, sir."

"That's ok Harry. Did anything ever taste bitter of give you a stomach ache afterwords?"

Harry nodded. "I would work in the garden, and she would bring me this glass that looked like water, but it tasted bitter and I always threw up afterword. She would always make me drink it though."

"How many times did this happen Harry?"

Shrugging his shoulder Harry made to bury his head again in Severus's side. Severus again reached around and pulled the boy close to him.

"Shhhh It's ok Harry."

Severus could not hear the tears, but he could feel them wetting his robes and could feel the shaking of the boy's shoulders. As he was comforting the boy Severus looked up at his Healer with worried eyes and mouthed a "How bad?".

Don just shook his head sadly.

Closing his eyes for a moment Severus then looked down at the boy and continued to soothe him. When Harry had calmed down Severus gently pulled Harry away from him and wiped the tears from his face.

"Don still has to talk with you, are you ok now?"

Harry gave a small nod and looked at Don.

"I think what your Aunt was giving you was Bleach. It ate away at the walls of your stomach, and unfortunately it can't be healed. We can manage the effects though. I'm sure when you eat right now you feel sick afterword right?"

Harry gave a weary nod and Don Continued.

"To help you can drink a glass of milk or have a little yogurt before you eat it should help. It will coat your stomach and make it easier for food to digest."

Looking down Harry nodded. That wasn't too bad; he liked milk and yogurt. He looked up again when he heard Don quietly ask him if he could examine his throat. Again he nodded, just wanting this whole thing to be over with.

"Hold your head up Harry. I'm going to feel from your ears down to your shoulders. Then, I'm going to feel the front. It's going to tingle like before ok?"

When Don saw the nod he moved his hands to feel all over the boy's throat. He stopped around Harry glads though, and gave a little frown.

"You seem to be ok Harry, but your glands feel a bit swollen. Do you have a sore throat?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders. "A little I guess."

Don nodded. "I'm going to feel your forehead to see if you have a fever, ok?"

As Harry nodded Don did as he had said and felt to see if the boy was warm. Almost immediately though Don removed his hand from the boy's head and looked at Severus.

"You're burning up Harry!"

Quickly Don summoned a muggle like thermometer.

"Put this under your tongue Harry. Do you feel really hot?"

Harry shook his head and tried to speak with the glass instrument in his mouth. "Really cold."

Don nodded and took the thermometer from his mouth, and his eyebrows rose. "39.7ºc! Severus can you run a cold bath for Harry. We need to cool him down."

Severus nodded, but was stopped from getting up from a scared boy next to him. Taking the small hands that were clutching his robes again into has hands Severus looked down into the boy's face.

"Harry I'll just be a second and then I'll be right back to carry you to the bath, ok?"

"Please don't go, I'll be good."

Severus let out a small sigh. "You are a good boy Harry, you have a very high fever though, and I need to draw a cold bath for you."

"Can...can you take me with you?"

Severus looked at Don who shook his head slightly. "Harry, I promise you I will be right back. Remember earlier when I let the room and then came back a few minutes later?"

Harry gave a small nod.

"I came back before, and I promise you I will come back again."

Slowly Harry's grip loosened on his robed and Severus got off the bed. "I promise you Harry I will be right back." Severus then slowly moved to the door and went to go draw a bath.

Harry watched his Professor the entire time he left the room that is until Don gained his attention by calling his name.

"Harry, I have to ask you something. Something very personal. Can you answer me honestly?"

Harry nodded, but looked down at his lap.

"Has anyone ever...touched you? Inappropriately?"

Almost immediately Harry shook his head violently and Don sighed in relief.

"Thank you for answering me Harry."

The next moment Severus came in the room and first looked at Don who shook his head. Severus echoed Don's sigh and then came and sat next to Harry.

"Let's go get you into the bath, ok?"

Harry nodded and let Severus pick him up into his arms. Don followed Severus and Harry until they reached the living room and then Severus proceeded to the bathroom with only Harry.

As soon as Severus got into the bathroom he sat the boy on the toilet. He then started the gently unbutton Harry's shirt and helped him take it off. Giving a smile at the boy Severus quickly cast a waterproof charm over the cast on his ankle. He then set the boy on his feet and steadied him as he wobbled a bit.

"You ok there Harry?"

Harry gave a small nod.

"This bath is very cold, but you have to stay in for a little while, ok?"

Again Harry gave a nod.

With that Severus, gently pulled the boy's pajamas down as well as his pants and placed him in the bath tub.

At first, Harry blushed and covered himself, but then he suddenly felt really warm and he relaxed back into the cold water not really caring anymore that he was exposed.

After what seemed like ten minutes of sitting in the tub, Harry felt someone shaking his shoulder and he looked up into the concerned eye's of Severus.

Severus had left the bathroom for just a moment to grab some new pajamas and had come back to Harry falling asleep in the tub.

"It's time to get out now Harry."

Harry nodded and Severus held up a fluffy looking towel. Severus then picked up the boy underneath his armpits and wrapped him in the warm towel. Patting the boy dry he then helped Harry into his newly shrunken sleepwear.

"Let's get you to bed. If you're getting sick you need all the sleep you can get."

Harry let the man carry him back to bed and as he passed the Healer nodded his head in greeting. Severus then strode into Harry's room and quickly placed Harry in his bed. Expertly Severus placed the thermometer beneath Harry's tongue and a few minutes he took it out . When he saw what it read he sighed in relief, it was now only 37.7ºc.

"Much better Harry. Sleep well and if you need anything don't be afraid to call me. I'm right next door."

Harry sleepily nodded his head, and he closed his eyes.

"Goodnight Child."

With that Severus brushed the stay hair out of the boy's face and then he quietly left the room shutting the door behind him.

Coming back out into the living room Severus was met with a very concerned Healer for both his old patient and new. As soon as the Healer spotted Severus he grabbed his arm and sat him down on a comfortable looking couch.

"So Severus, would you care to tell me why Harry Potter is currently residing in your chambers?"

Severus sighed. He knew questions would come, but that didn't mean he had to like it.

"I noticed something off about the boy as I often do, but could not figure out what it was until today when I saw him limping into my classroom. It was a slight limp, but a limp never the less. I asked for him to stay after class, and I healed him to the best of my ability with some help from Poppy. When I confronted Albus about removing him from his relatives he said there was no other option. I blurted out that I would take him if there were no other options and Albus is currently doing the paperwork to have his guardianship transferred to me."

Don continued to nod throughout Severus's explanation. When Severus was finished Don gave him a soft look. "I've never seen you speak that way to anyone before, not even that girl you had me look at last year. You really care."

Severus blushed a bit and looked away. "I don't know what your talking about. He is an injured child, and I was treating him as so."

Don gave him a knowing smile. "What made you change your opinions so? Just last week you were calling him an arrogant brat."

"You saw him Don! His relatives have been hurting him for years!"

"I did see him Severus and I saw how you acted towards him; like a loving father."

Severus looked down at his lap, he hated these kinds of conversations with Don. Unfortunately for Severus they happened at least once a week or sometimes more.

"I don't know what you are talking about."

Gently Don rested a hand on Severus's shoulder. "I know you Severus. I've known you for years. Through all the Death Eater meetings, Lily's death, your potions mastery, accepting a job here, and everything else that has happened I've been with you through it all. Unlike most I can tell what your feelings are, despite that mask you put up. Your giving the child a room of his own, and even helping him take a bath speaks louder than words. You care for him Severus, do not deny it."

Severus looked up into Don's eyes. "Fine then, I do care what happens to the boy! Happy now!"

Don gave a small smile. "I am happy you are admitting your feelings, yes. I want to know though, are you ready?"

Again looking down at his lap Severus sighed. "I do not know, all I know is I want to give this boy a home. One he seems to never have had."

"Besides the obvious Severus why do you of all people want to be the one to be there for the boy?"

Severus closed his eyes. "I don't know whether it was a hallucination or what, but I saw Lily. She...thanked me for saving her son. She didn't have to say it in words, but I could tell from her eyes that she wanted me to take care of him."

Sending a bit of calming magic into his patient Don nodded in understanding. "Is that the only reason?"

Severus opened his eyes and shook his head. "I had agreed to be his guardian before that. He has no one else, and I know what's that like. If he does not want to stay with me though I will give him a choice of whom he wants to stay with. Maybe the Weasleys, he seems very close to the family."

Don shook his head slightly. "Severus, the way he clung to you this evening I doubt he would want to be anywhere else."

"Are you sure? Am I doing the right thing?"

Sending a bit more calming magic into Severus Don nodded. "You will be good for him, and I think he will be good for you. Just remember that I am always here to help you if you need any assistance as always."

Severus nodded. "Thank you."

Don slowly stopped the calming magic and patted Severus on the shoulder. "I will leave you then so you can get some sleep. I predict you're going to need it. Are you two going to classes tomorrow?"

Severus shrugged his shoulders. "I didn't think of that. I'll have to ask the Headmaster for at least two days off so the boy can finish physically healing. I also have a suspicion that he will need new clothing. When I undressed him earlier the state of his shorts was deplorable. They were filled with holes and looked much too big for him."

Don nodded and got up from the couch. Before he left through the floo though, Don turned to Severus and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Remember Severus, call me about anything."

"I know."

With that Don stepped through the floo and left Severus alone in his rooms again. Slightly sighing he sat down on the couch rather ungracefully and leaned his head back closing his eyes. There, he saw a glimpse of a rad head thanking him again. Opening his eyes Severus shook his head.

"I need sleep."

Severus then stood and made way for his bedroom to get his much needed rest. He knew Don was right, and he was going to need it, he now had a Gryffindor living with him.